“Has Highs And Lows....Not As Great As Before Though.”

Fairmont Southampton
fabfinds
“Has Highs And Lows....Not As Great As Before Though.”
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We have been here a total of 6 times, we generally go every year around July 4th. This was the first time I left not feeling totally enchanted with the place, I will admit. Upon first glance, it is a beautiful hotel highly perched above the glittering sea, and it does command your attention and to me is the most impressive of all the hotels on the island (though I would think Tucker Point may give it a run for its money) when it opens. The rooms are not what a true luxury hotel room is all about, salmon colored walls, mediocre furniture, average bedding, though my kids thought the beds were super comfortable they have like many hotels changed over to down comforters, and faux down pillows...too lumpy for my taste. The bathrooms are not what I consider a true luxury bathroom, the sink/vanity area is open so if you are changing, there is no privacy as there are no doors, only to the small bathroom with toilet and bathtub/shower...what luxury hotel still has a tropical print shower curtain for Pete's sake?? I mean to me that is a little gross and germ filled, nice clear glass doors are far more appropriate and certainly what a $500 a night room demands.
We had a nice view, and the lobby/shops are all pretty, just starting in my eyes to showing signs of needing a little facelift. The restaurants are pretty good, but $$. Every morning we spent about 140 dollars on breakfast for 5, drinks are up there by the pool, ditto for lunch and both hotel restaurants ran our family about $450+ for dinner. The Waterlot inn is a historic, 330 year old restaurant, very pretty and charming, my husband and kids did not think it was as good as it used to be but I was happy with my meal. The Ocean Club is at the beach perched high on a balcony with spectacular views..its asian fusion and was pretty good, again expensive though and nowhere near the caliber of asian fusion places that we go to here in the tristate area but overall between ambiance and food, it was good.
The service overall was unfortunately lacking, very very slow almost everywhere, however courteous. The wait to be "set up" at the beach was ridiculous, they had one poor guy trying to appease over 20 impatient tourists melting under the brutally hot sun, waiting for chairs/umbrellas. When we finally got settled, it was lunch time and guess what? Another ridiculously long line/wait just to eat. To us they were very ill equipped to deal with the amounts of people in for the holiday weekend. Its a huge hotel and surely they know that they should always have the full capacity in staff to handle these crowds. That part was a true let down.....you felt more like a cattle call than someone paying upwards of 1200.00 a night to be there. The people who work there however are very very friendly and polite....never came across one who wasn't (save for someone at the airport) The brunch/breakfast at the restaurant off the main lobby is pretty and best bet for breakfast. The downstairs place, Wickets was a royal rip off and HORRIBLE service. I ordered two eggs which was $12.00, that didn' t even come with TOAST or bacon, or potatoes...everything was extra $$. Not to mention it wasn't good, how can you mess up on eggs?
Overall I would say we still like the place, the setting is beautiful and the water dreamy. We will however look to try Tuckers Point next July 4th, as we are anxiously awaiting its debut. I have a feeling and I may be wrong that those that want "real luxury" will likely take their business there if it is all they are saying it will be. I think Fairmont is going to have to step it up big time to compete with that high end market because up until now they really haven't had much competition and have been on top for a long time. I am not saying don't' go there, I am saying however, just know what you are getting, it is not on par at all with a Ritz or Four Seasons yet in High Season you are paying those prices......

• Liked — Location, The Beach, Laid Back Ness
  • Disliked — Having To Take A Bus To The Beach
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (991)
  • Polish first
Westchester County, NY
Reviewed July 5, 2008

My husband and I just returned from the Fairmont Southampton with our two kids, ages 5 and 7. We were a little nervous about some negative reviews that we'd read, but we'd been to Bermuda on two cruises before and stayed once at the Elbow Beach in 1995 and this sounded like the best (and perhaps only) hotel to bring kids. We ended up having a fabulous time!

The kids loved the Explorer Camp--we didn't even mention it to them but they found it and to our surprise wanted to be there instead of being with us! The staff of the camp was warm and friendly, and there were only a few kids in the club itself so it was easy for our kids to get a lot of personalized attention!
The kids loved the baby pool with slide and the big pool outside, though compared to other resorts we've stayed at (ie in Hawaii) the pool was a disappointment--not that large or unique or incredibly beautiful or anything, but it was fine.
The kids loved the beach but after an hour or two were just as dying to get out of the sun as we were, so that's where the camp really comes in handy--to go off property to the zoo/aquarium or in town is quite expensive, about $20 for a taxi ride each way--so it was nice that there was somewhere on property for the kids to cool down.
Our adjoining rooms were large and much more spacious than we expected and had a lot of closet space. The bathrooms were very nice and it we love when the sinks are outside of the actual toilet/shower area, which they were. The beds and pillows were soft and comfy and we didn't pay for an ocean view, but our partial view of the ocean was very nice considering we didn't expect to see the ocean much at all!
The staff varied: room service staff was so professional and did a great job, the housekeeping staff was always friendly, the concierge staff varied and some were not very knowledgable or helpful while others were better (ie when we asked if the kids would enjoy the glass bottom boat tour they told us yes and quickly signed us up and failed to mention that it was also a snorkeling trip so one of my kids was not even wearing a bathing suit and ended up jumping in with her clothes!) Also the concierge recommended the Pickled Onion in town and Tio Pepe's as both being good restaurants for kids but we found neither to be kid friendly and neither had a children's menu...
The hotel itself is beautiful, magnificent grounds and beach, most restaurants are good but the service in the Jasmine Lounge (which does not accept reservations and is open for casual dining 11am-1 am) is horrendous! Several people sat and sat for 30 minutes and no one took their order and they got up and left, only to have the next party seated at that same table do the same! Even when we did get served in the Jasmine Lounge, it took forever to get a simple glass of water or to get the waiter to take our order, bring our drinks, anything took forever! The waiters were polite but clearly overwhelmed. We took the kids to Bacci and found the food and service both fantastic, we went to the Ocean Club without the kids for dinner and it was so relaxing and spectacular overlooking the beach, they did have a kids menu so we could have brought them if they hadn't wanted to stay in the kids' camp so badly where they order room service for your kids and charge it to your room.
Our last night was The Fourth of July and the hotel's celebration was a great way to end our stay. The hotel did a great job, providing popcorn, cake and ice pops for all to enjoy poolside while watching a spectacular fireworks display over the beach!
Pros:
Mostly friendly staff
Amazing grounds and hotel rooms
Beautiful restaurants, mostly with very good food
Kids camp ($30 a day per kid, regardless of how many hours you use it)
Gorgeous spa with indoor pool that anyone can use after 6:30 pm
Amazing beach
Kiddie pool with slide
Family Package specials allow a second room at 50 percent off and kids 5 and under eat free
Kids' game room/arcade
Lots of very nice shops

Cons:
Incredibly expensive, but that's Bermuda!
Jasmine Lounge Restaurant service--ranged from bad to awful
Far from town and need shuttle ride to beach, (but shuttle service was good)
Our rooms were next to the service elevator, which sounded like a subway train rushing by the room every 2 minutes!!
Man of War jelly fish to be aware of on the beach--we did hear of a few people who got stung...:(
Sometimes overwhelmed front desk and concierge took a long time to answer my phone calls!

All in all it was an incredibly expensive 5 nights but a wonderful vacation for a family with young kids who lives within a short flying distance from Bermuda--just 2 hours for us--however consider adjoining rooms if you have older kids, as the double beds in our kids' room looked so small we were glad we had the king in the other room!

Stayed July 2008
Maryland
Reviewed July 3, 2008

We stayed at the Fairmont Southampton after the Newport-Bermuda race. We were really disappointed with the service and condition of this hotel, despite Bermuda being such a beautiful, friendly place. We greatly enjoyed the rest of the island.

First off, the room we booked through Amex Platinum was allegedly an upgraded room but it was awful! Strange triangular shape, next to the service elevator, peeling wallpaper, stained carpets and no view other than air conditioners to speak of. We have stayed at many fine hotels through American Express Platinum and all have been incredibly gracious about putting us in great rooms or moving us if needed. Fairmont was not. The obnoxious person at the front desk was impossible to deal with and kept insisting there was nowhere to move and was incredibly rude and demeaning- until the manager called and miraculously a room had appeared! This room was far nicer though I would not consider it to be any better than an airport Marriott or Hilton. Throughout the stay they were constantly carting these gross old mattresses through the halls- frightened me to take a look at ours!

The beach is very nice and the shuttle service is easy and convenient. Drinks are expensive and frozen drinks are not great. Better to run up the road to the wine shop at Henry VIII or another supermarket and bring your own. The Ocean Club restaurant is a fantastic setting- I did not eat there but two rum swizzles set me back $35!

The pool area is not impressive and is rather shady. Drink service took wayyyy too long! They kept telling me to put the "flag down on my umbrella" to signify service, but we did not have a flag! 25 minutes later we had a drink. I wouldn't have minded if there were a bar we could have just walked up to. Again the towel girls were very unfriendly and unlike the other super friendly people I met in Bermuda.

The shops in the hotel are excellent, all are little versions of the Hamilton shops. The shopkeeper in the English Sports Shop was incredibly kind and assured me I could bring back a dress I purchased if need be, after bringing up to my room to try on.

We were never actually seated when we went to breakfast each morning and finally got into the habit of just seating ourselves, despite the sign. Service was again, not very friendly, food was fine but it was included for us so we weren't particularly picky.

The icing on the cake in terms of our impressions of the Fairmont was our dealings with the concierge. First off, our main room phone didn;t work so we were trying to rely on the dated and dying cordless. I called the concierge for reservations at Henry VIII for 8:30, specifically, outside seating. I only called for reservations because we wanted to sit outside, otherwise I was sure we could get a table! That was about 6:30. At 7:45, after showering and dressing, having heard nothing back, I called the concierge and they had no record of my request. Finally, I got a call back around 8:15 stating that we did have a reservation. I asked three times to be absolutely sure the reservation was for outside seating and she assured me it was. Lo and behold, when we got to Henry's, there was no record of this request. The very nice maitre d there was able to accomodate us, and I got the sense he had problems with the Fairmont concierge in the past.

Unless you are with a conference or perhaps with your kids, forgo this overpriced, dated, soulless hotel and try one of the smaller hotels or cottage colonies.

• Liked — Location, Views, Beach
  • Disliked — General Upkeep, Attitude of the Staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MilouSunset
New Jersey
Reviewed July 1, 2008

We just returned from our first trip to Bermuda and stayed at the Fairmont Southampton. The hotel was top notch and thought everyone was very cordial and helpful. Our room was not ready when we first arrived and they told us that they upgraded us. So we spent the day getting a feel of the property. We had lunch at Wickets which was yummy. By the afternoon my husband and daughter fell asleep in the lobby on a chair. We were up since 3 am! The front desk called me over and upgraded us again when they saw how tired my husband and daughter were and put us on the 4th floor immediately with a great view of Gibbs Lighthouse, the bay and ocean. We are pretty patient people and patience pays off!
The beach is simply wonderful and there are plenty of chairs. If you can't find shade, they will pop up an umbrella for you!
There is an abundance of fish right there at the waters edge so bring your mask and goggles!!
Bermuda is expensive and you have to have that mindset when you go. But, you're on vacation and this was one of the best!
We ate at Bacci on the property which was magnificent!! The best Lobster Ravioli! Wickets was great too! I wish we did the meal plan though! Great breakfast at Windows on the Sound!
Your best bet is getting a bus pass for 3 or 4 days. It's cheaper than a taxi. A taxi from Hamilton to our hotel for 3 people was $25.00. The pass for an adult for 3 days is $35.00.
Lots of shopping in Hamilton and we took a glassbottom boat ride at FantaSeas. We had such a great time! Worth the $40.00 per person!
Went to Spicelands and rode horses on the beach which was the highlight of our daughters vacation!
Then we would come back each evening to our wonderful Fairmont Southhampton!
Each night housekeeping turned down our beds and made sure that if we had used towels or washclothes they were replaced with fresh ones. I like that!
All in all it was an awesome time here. We hope to return soon! It is one of our top 3 places!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Basking Ridge, NJ
Reviewed June 27, 2008

The Hotel was fantastic. Stunning large property, beautiful grounds. Great on-site restaurants. Rooms and entire property was very clean and well cared for. Spa and indoor pool combo with outdoor patio and hot tub is a must. Bathroom in room was a bit small as was hotel pool for a property this large. But that being said, Fairmont Southampton was an exceptional resort. Celebrated 25th anniversary and was presented with free champagne and strawberries upon arrival in room. A lovely gesture by Hotel Manager and a precursor to a wonderful 4 day vacation. Bermuda was a beautiful island 25 years ago and remains so today. Great place!

• Liked — stunning property
  • Disliked — small bathroom
  • Stayed June 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JFK45
State College PA
Reviewed June 18, 2008

We booked our stay via another Web site and were told we would stay in a "Junior Romance Suite" with full ocean view. When we arrived, we did have a nice suite, but on the bay side, with what I would call a limited bay view--had to look to the left to see the bay. I called the desk and was told we had one of the nicest suites in the hotel (429, right by the noisy elevators) and that they could move us to a standard room on the ocean side, but they did not have suites on the ocean side. I found that hard to believe, but after a day of travel, I was too tired to argue, and we did have a lovely room--although not the one we were expecting. In retrospect, I should have complained more about the noise and the lack of view.

Overall, the hotel is pretty average. The people in Bermuda were so nice, the hotel staff was not as nice as the locals. Staff was often disinterested, and just not very helpful. The concierge looked in a Bermuda tourism magazine to give a restaurant recommendation, and didn't seem to know anything about local bus routes or have many recommendations about what to do other than visit the hotel beach/restaurant/spa.

The Reefs looked very nice, next time, we will stay there.

Stayed June 2008
1 Thank Grouchah
Charlottesville, Va
Reviewed June 13, 2008

We stayed at the Southampton Fairmont from June 3-8, 2008 for our 20th anniversary. This is our 11th time to Bermuda and our 8th time at this property ( formerly the Southampton Princess). We were treated to chocolate strawberries, champagne and fresh fruit awaiting us in our room as a recognition of our anniversary. This property is breath-taking and impeccably clean.
We requested a harbor-view room on or above the fourth floor and were given exactly what we requested. We also found it quite easy to book all of our dinner reservations online at the hotel restaurants prior to our departure at home.
RESTAURANTS
We ate at the Bacci ( Italian) , Waterlot (Steak), Ocean Club (Thai), Wickets (Informal variety of menu items) and the beach snack bar, Cabana. A full breakfast buffet was served daily in Windows. The food is incredible and do be prepared for the high prices, unless you have purchased a Dine-Around Plan or the Discovery package ( which we did) that includes breakfast and $100 per person, per night resort credit which can be applied to meals or other items ( stores, the Spa) purchased at the hotel. At every restaurant we attended throughout our trip, the host or hostess greeted us by name and wished us a Happy Anniversary ( nice touch, we thought).
BEACH
The beach remains wonderful with sufficient lounge chairs for all. There are many thatched umbrellas for shade and if you aren't lucky enough to get chairs under one of them, the hard-working staff will put a beach umbrella over any beach chair you choose. The Cabana restaurant has wonderful food. Definitely get the tuna wrap. YUM!
STAFF
We found the staff to be even more friendly than we remembered, always smiling and willing to help in any way they can. Prompt responses to requests were made.
A CAUTION
Do review your bill carefully. We found that errors were not uncommon as we heard from other guests as well as tripadvisor reviewers. On our bill, breakfast was erroneously charged. However, the matter was handled promptly and without any problem. We found it was easier to review our bill at the end of the second day and have the problem corrected then, instead of waiting until check-out time. There were no errors on the day we checked out. Do note that if you are on the Discovery package, the credit is not taken off of the bill until you are ready to check out and the final bill is printed.
All in all, between the beauty of this wonderful country and the friendliness of the Fairmont staff, I do not believe that you will be disappointed if you choose to vacation in Bermuda and stay at the Fairmont.
If anyone would like further information about this hotel or Bermuda, in general, please feel free to email me at tpm430@aol.com.
Happy Travels!

• Liked — The breathtaking views, the staff
  • Disliked — Bill errors
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Hamilton Parish
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!