“So much fun!!!”

Fairmont Southampton
New York City, New York
“So much fun!!!”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This hotel was such a great choice for our vacation to Bermuda, especially for families, couples or anyone that wants a fun time! The clientele are all friendly and we even made some friends on the beach. The service was usually perfect, except there was one incident when we were not notified of a canceled reservation but that was okay because they quickly rushed us to another restaurant to make up for it that was delicious. The private beach was so beautiful, very clean, great service there and so many different places to get lunch dinner snake, they'd even bring drinks to your chair, also where the hotel trolley drops you off at the beach there is a little gate that went directly to Horseshoe Beach and Baby Beach and those were amazing, from here you could even take some beautiful trails to other beaches like Warwick which I loved. DO NOT miss out on the public beaches here in Bermuda, they're all so clean and not particularly crowded. The hotel also offers a free trolley ride into Hamilton which is around 45 minutes and its so pretty and scenic and it's a great amenity and saves you a lot on taxis. The rooms were excellent too, huge closets, huge room, huge bathroom, and even a huge terrace! It was great and all very clean because of the great housekeeping. However, there was a large problem with our shower where it would not drain. At all. It would take especially long for the four of us to get ready and shower because the shower would not drain, this should definitely be something the hotel is notified about and needs to be fixed. The beds were also amazing, so so comfortable and it was always so quiet at night, I slept amazing here. Our room was on the gold floor which really is a must when you stay here, you more then make up for the extra price in all the delicious free breakfasts, and teas, and lunches, appetizers and desserts in the lounge. It's all so good and they have such a large variety with different choices every day. Words don't describe what an amazing service the staff offers to it's guest. Overall, if I went on about everything I loved about this hotel I'd go on for hours and it'd turn into an essay. Service was so helpful and always friendly, rooms were very nice, so many amenities, more then you'd expect, more then any hotel I know of. And best of all, the food was delicious, this hotel is a great choice for any occasion, any group of people.

Room Tip: Definitely book a room on the Gold Floor with the Club Lounge it's absolutely worth it and will...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Tycho C
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you so much for posting such a glowing review of your stay at The Fairmont Southampton and of your fantastic time in Bermuda! I'm glad you found everyone friendly and explored the stunning South Shore beaches with your new friends. I am also heartened to hear our staff were able to make up for a service glitch with your reservation, although I sincerely apologize about your shower draining problem. Our maintenance team are usually able to fix these problems when they are alerted to them - if you email me at carlita.lodge@fairmont.com and tell me what room you were in, I'll be sure to let them know for future guests in that room. You are right - the Gold floor makes all the difference and all the goodies there are delicious. I will pass along your kudos to our brilliant Gold team, who go above and beyond for their guests. Thank you so much for your glowing review and great photos, and I hope that you come back and visit us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,016)
  • Polish first
Florida
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The room was a good size, but a hint of mold smell when the air con was off. The bed was comfy, however the furniture was tired and a little grubby. The staff were always friendly and helpful. We stayed in mid August when the hotel was completely full and it was difficult to get under shade round the pool or on the beach at any time other than first thing in the morning. If you are prepared to walk off the property there is the beautiful Horseshoe Beach right next door, however you cannot take hotel towels or chairs there. The Henry VIII pub is a very short walk and the hotel trolley will drop you close and this is worth a visit for a meal, and is also a lot cheaper than the hotel restaurants.

Room Tip: In summer get to the beach or pool early to stake a good spot with a brolly.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MalcolmPFlorida
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on TripAdvisor. I am glad to hear that your room was a comfortable size with a pleasing bed, but disappointed that you found the furnishings to be slightly worn. I am also glad that you found a nice respite on Horseshoe Bay, which can often be very busy. I have passed along your feedback about the quality of the rooms, and hope that the next time you visit we will be able to better impress you with our offerings.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Fairmont Southampton in Bermuda. It was our first time to Bermuda and we found the Bermudians very friendly and pleasant. The island is very pretty and has a relaxed laid back attitude. The resort was very nice although the pool is rather small. The real jewel is the public beach next to the private Fairmont beach. We decided to take a stroll over to the public beach (Horsehoe Beach)next door and were blown away - our kids didn't want to leave. We body surfed and swam in a little lagoon with millions of fish. We climbed some very safe cliffs and the views were spectacular. The sand has a hint of pink and we took a bottle home with us. The resort restaurants (Waterlot and Bacci) are very nice. We took the kids to swim with the dolphins and the staff was delightful. The world class mini putt was also very nice but go in the evening (cooler). I played the par 3 Turtle Hill golf course and it satisfied my craving for a little golf while on our family vacation. Entire round was only 2.5 hours - go early! All in all - Bermuda, its people and the activities are top notch!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank gbozzer
Thank you for sharing your recent experience from your family vacation in Bermuda, we appreciate the feedback. You are right, Horseshoe Bay is world-class and connects to a plethora of other beautiful, coral-pink beaches. I am so glad you and your family were able to enjoy that, and that you got to squeeze in a round of golf at our Turtle Hill Golf Club! It's fantastic to hear that you loved Bermuda & all of the activities, and we hope to welcome you back again soon.
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We had a dream vacation at this resort in early August. Stayed here for 10 nights and enjoyed every single one of them. Almost everything in Bermuda is quite pricey and this hotel is not an exception, but when compared to many other properties on the island, it is still a very good deal. The resort is extremely well run and service is for the most part absolutely excellent. Trolleys to the beach or Waterlot Inn run every few minutes and are very convenient. Beach is stunning and although it may be quite busy at this time of the year, I would not call it overcrowded, certainly not compared to the nearby public beaches. I am a scuba diver and I was extremely pleased with a very well run dive shop right at the beach with some of the most spectacular dive sites in Bermuda just a few minutes away from the shore. Pool area is very nice and our 2 kids (4 and 7 year-old) really loved it. We had some nice dining experiences at the resort, including buffet breakfasts at the Windows, and dinners at the Bacci’s and the Waterlot Inn. However, dinner reservations are a must. We were not as impressed with the Ocean Club. Cabana Bar and Grill at the beach also needs some improvement. Several other good restaurants are only a short cab drive away, including Henry VIII or the Dining Room at the Gibb’s Hill lighthouse. Our room was very nice with some fantastic views of the ocean and the lighthouse, and we have only good things to say about housekeeping staff. The resort runs a free ferry service to the sister property in Hamilton, but plan alternative ways of transportation on Wednesday nights when the boat quickly fills up with the people going to the Harbour Night festivities in Hamilton. We actually had a fairly unpleasant experience coming back from the town when a third of people, including us, were left at the dock after boat reached its capacity. I think it would help if the hotel starts issuing tickets just for these Wednesday evening rides to avoid unnecessary waiting or completely denied service. Luckily, cabs are quite easy to get and public bus service to the resort is also quite straightforward. Some of the other Bermuda attractions such as the Dockyard or the town of St.George are quite far away, but I would trade this for the proximity to the Southampton beaches. Overall, this is a fantastic place and our family will certainly return here in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank drdjhr
Thank you so much for posting about your dream Bermuda vacation at The Fairmont Southampton, we really love hearing that our guests have a great time. It sounds like you and your family had a fantastic visit with diving, beach, pool, and dining. I will pass along your feedback about Ocean Club & Cabana. While I'm glad to hear that you got to experience Harbour Nights, I am very sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant time trying to return. While that return trip is first-come-first-served, I have sent your suggestion about issuing tickets to our Operations team for future planning. We appreciate the constructive feedback. Thank you again for all of your kind words, we hope to welcome you and your family back to sunny Bermuda soon!
White Plains, NY
Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

This is my second time staying at the Fairmont SouthHampton. It never disappoints. My family and I stayed here for few nights for some R&R. Room is clean, beds are comfortable, and the view is spectacular. We stayed both times facing the Harbor. The ground is well kept and service is just great. Pool is refreshing. There is also a pool by the spa, so hang around there as the sun goes down. View is gorgeous. Stars are nice to look at as well at night. There are a few choices of restaurants in the hotel and yes they are expensive, but consistent with the prices of the other restaurants in Bermuda. We usually eat at the Jasmine. After a few nights though, it gets kind of tiring. Sign up for the Fairmont's President's club as it is free and then they give Internet connection to you for free. The beach is down the hill, so they have a few shuttles that go up and down. You generally do not wait. The Fairmont beach is nice, but go around the fence at least once and check out Horseshoe beach on the other side. It's beautiful, but a public beach so no lounge chair or umbrella. You can rent them though. There is a small lagoon at Horseshoe with lots of fish, so kids will definitely enjoy that. Horseshoe is long also, so a great place to walk. It is usually not crowded. I snorkeled a few times on Horseshoe and the Fairmont beach and saw a few fishes and many as long as 12 to 15 inches. They hang around by the rocks. If you want to check out the town, hop on their ferry (free) and it takes about half an hour. The view is nice on the way.

For a truly great experience of Bermuda, and you are comfortable on a bike, rent a scooter and check out South Shore Road as all the beautiful beaches are there. But this is not Disneyland, so if you get into an accident, you will get hurt or die. The locals that I spoke to always say that many tourists tend to do that. Those rental places will literally rent the bikes to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank RRTraveler101
Thank you for posting such a detailed, candid review of The Fairmont Southampton on TripAdvisor. It sounds like you were able to make the best of your Bermuda vacation again, and had a great time taking in all the amenities of the hotel. You are right, the cost of food at The Fairmont Southampton is consistent with the prices in Bermuda. There are lots of restaurants on-property (9), so next time I suggest trying a few other than Jasmine (which is itself a great restaurant!). Your recommendation for Horseshoe Bay is spot-on, it's a beautiful beach.

To clarify about scooters: we recommend that guests rent them if they are comfortable with the idea. The scooter rental shops do have a riding tutorial and test you must take before they rent them to you. While most people are fine, we do drive on the opposite side of the road, and the roads are quite narrow & winding, which can be an adjustment if you are not used to riding a scooter. While it is a fun way to get around, there are certainly other means, and we would never want to put any guest to Bermuda at risk. There is a scooter rental shop on-property who are great with fielding questions if anyone is unsure about scooter rentals.

Thank you again for your comprehensive review, looking forward to your lucky # 3 visit to Bermuda!
Rio Rico, Arizona
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for one week in August 2013, Good quality hotel, the staff is friendly most of the time, Hotel was very crowded during our vist and the staff was having trouble keeping up with towels and other often requested items. Bring lots of money, everything in the hotel is overpriced. 6.00 for 2oz glass of lemonade with no refill is the par. 3 people in my party averabe meal cost 80-100 dollars many times with us splitting items. They have a nice transport down to the beach and Im sure if you pay for the gold service level at the hotel you likely will get the 5 star treatment, but if your a business traveler or a medium income person, service is more likely on the 3 star range.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Tim P
Thank you for taking the time to review. I am glad that you largely found the hotel to be of a high-quality with friendly staff. I am sorry to hear that you found the food to be expensive, the costs represent the reality of operating a resort on an isolated island where all food must be imported. We do not value one guest over another, and endeavor to treat every guest as a unique individual, providing the same exceptional service to all guests. I hope you did not feel at all slighted. Thank you for sharing, and I hope you will consider returning to Bermuda again one day.
Birmingham, Michigan
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Had a great getaway to Bermuda at the Fairmont Southampton. Loved the beach and the courteous and helpful staff. A great, peaceful location that with easy access to Hamilton. We would definitely visit here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Hamilton Princess & Beach Club, a Fairmont Managed Hotel

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!