Fairmont Southampton
Cambridge Beaches(Sandys Parish)
$632
$599
Hotels.com
Elbow Beach, Bermuda(Paget Parish)
$675
$449
$404
  • Pool
4,272 results
All reviewsgold floorocean clubjasmine loungeindoor poolwaterlot inngolf courseprivate beachfree ferry to hamiltonpresident's clubhorseshoe baywalk in closetgastro pubtrolley serviceconcierge deskwillow stream spanewport roomnewport gastropub
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My daughter and I recently stayed at the Fairmont Southampton. The hotel and grounds are lovely and all the amenities are a plus. We especially appreciated the free ferry to Hamilton and the trolley service. (Always on time!) The staff was knowledgeable, helpful, and always friendly.
A special "Thank you" to E. Michael, who we had the privilege of meeting and visiting with at their sister hotel in Hamilton.
Please take the trolley and visit their private beach, cabana bar, then walk to Horseshoe Bay Beach. The Jasmine Lounge had a wonderful band playing and the desserts were great.
We would love to come back to Bermuda.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook lower rooftop.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Having never been to Bermuda, we relied on an experienced travel agent. While some people were saying "Stay at a B&B or rent a home; it's cheaper.", we wanted to make sure that we would not have any glitches; a Fairmont did make that happen for us. See the very bottom for RECOMMENDATIONS.

AIRPORT
The airport was efficient. From disembarking till the cab, that was about 35 minutes. Not too shabby for an airport that has ~6-10 planes coming in within 2 hours on weekends, we're told.

TAXIS
A cab for four or less people from the airport is about 30 minutes and $35 with $1 per bag Mondays through Saturdays. Sundays and the midnight-6am fares have a 25% surcharge for any cab ride on the island. Yes, cabs are pricey in Bermuda; the drivers are paying over $8 per gallon. Other approximate fares: Fairmont to... Henry the 8th restaurant ~$8, ...downtown Hamilton ~25, ...St. George's ~$45.

FRONT DESK
One of our fastest check-ins and check-out yet. The President's Club line goes a bit faster. The room was ready and the clerks were friendly and professional.

CONCIERGE
Every time you walk by their long desk, they are all busy. Dawn was the concierge with whom we spoke the most. She was very patient for the first-timers and followed through with all requests in a timely manner. Whether it was making reservations or questions on busses, postcards, golf... she knew everything.

OCEAN ROOM VIEW
There are three different wings to the hotel. We were in the wing 401-429 that faces the southern beaches just overlooking the pool. You do get some noise from the pool area and some receptions. Consider the northern wing instead for less noise.

ROOM
Wonderful walk-in closet with a light up safe box. Housekeeping was so nice to give us additional hangars. There is a four drawer dresser, iron/board, and helpful umbrella (scattered showers at times) in the walk-in as well. The double beds were very comfortable with four pillows each. The pillows had different soft/firm characteristics, but we swapped around what we wanted and were happy. The credenza has the snack mini-bar and packed beverage mini-bar fridge, ice bucket, ports for charging electronics on the left pull-down, large flat screen and three more drawers. Mini-bar prices are NOT posted but you'll discover that they are almost double those of the store in the lower lobby. There is a Keurig with coffee supplies.

Double rooms do not have the seating area like the king rooms, but there was a small table with two chairs by the balcony sliders. Both balcony sliders open to get a full breeze; the A/C stops when the doors are open. The A/C climate control was perfect. There seemed to be about a 3-4 hour time period in the middle of the night where there is an energy efficiency takeover so that the temperature was not maintained as well as it was during the daytime. But all slept well. The bathroom had a dual sink area separate from the toilet and bath/shower - Thank you! AND, running at 100% occupancy during the Bermuda games, the hotel always had hot water. The rooms are bright and clean.

It is amazing how much you can hear from the hallway and from your above and side neighbors. Older hotels...thinner walls?

ROOM SERVICE
Late night orders from us were within 30 minutes. All servers were pleasant and the food was fine. fyi...Room service adds the 17% to the bill AND another $3 per person occupying the room.

SPA
Our use: gym, spa pool, and outdoor tanning area. The gym had six treadmills, four ellipticals and four bikes. Almost every piece of imaginable Cybex equipment is there. Extensive free weights and bench equipment are available. From what I understood, President's Club got free gym. However, we also wanted the adult pool and tanning area. For your entire stay, you can pay $99 and have unlimited access to the gym, spa pool, towels, locker room showers, sauna, steam, shaving, lockers...etc. Getting up, going to the gym, swimming at the spa was a daily. Then returning to tan at the quiet adult tanning area was so relaxing. The spa was very clean and the staff is very friendly as well. Small note...They could make sure the mouthwash and other containers are full and that the pumps are working properly.

PUBLIC AREAS and GROUNDS
1. Elevators can be challenging to get during some peak times; be patient.
2. Be prepared for a line up at the taxi area at the front door for restaurant runs.
3. Ducks roam in the front area at times; watch out for their poop especially in the trolley pick-up area.
4. The trolley drivers were very helpful with answering our many questions and for getting us where we needed to be for ferries, busses, and beaches.
5. Landscaping has much variety on the hotel property. They are not as manicured and maintained as some other Fairmonts. Having dead branches or debris along walkways seems unusual.
6. You'll notice that the exterior paint in some areas is not maintained as well as the interior.
7. Walking through a kitchen and towel area to get to the pool felt strange.
8. There is a business area that charges for computer usage per minute.
9. To the left of the Front Desk, there is an area to print boarding pass tickets the day before departure. Unfortunately for us, it was not working that particular day, but our check-in at the airport was rapid anyway.

HOTEL's BEACH AREA
The trolleys are never a problem to catch to get to the beach. They say every 10 minutes a trolley will be there. They seemed faster than that. The beach trolley can also stop part way to let you out to the bus stop on South Road. The beach area has a pool hut; don't bring the pool towels down. It's discouraged. There are many chairs from which to choose. We never had a problem getting a chair. Granted, those along the rock wall seem to be in a type of chair cemetery or state of disrepair.

Low tide is a nice time to snorkel out to the rocky area just in front of you. We saw about 6 types of fish (parrotfish, grouper...) We went out there on different days with different tides. Low tide at the rocky area is even nice for the challenged swimmer. You are practically at waist to mid-chest out there. DO NOT WEAR SHINY objects; every day out, we saw at least one barracuda. They were only about two-three feet long. Just mosey toward the beach. During our stay, there was also a Portugeuse man-of-war jellyfish sting for one tourist. We never saw any on our beach days.

Beach bar has happy hour 3 pm to 6 pm with 2-4-1 drinks. There are only four drinks that are 2-4-1...Corona, Corona light, Rum Swizzle and the Dark and Stormy. So these $8 drinks essentially become $4. They do have great local musicians there. Service can be a bit slow at some peak times; relax and enjoy the view and brew.

RECOMMENDATIONS:
1. TRANSPORT
Since cabs can become pricey, consider a bus pass at the bus or ferry terminals. A weekly bus pass is $56. Since we were staying two weeks, we got the monthly for $55. You can travel ANY bus or ferry for the entire time. The Fairmont trolley takes you to the Middle road route 8 bus stop next to the Waterlot. The #8 bus gets there about ... on the hour and half hour. The #7 bus stop on the South road from the beach trolley arrives on the quarter after and quarter of. Getting a bus schedule is helpful. Yes, cabs are pricey in Bermuda; the drivers are paying over $8 per gallon. Other approximate fares: Fairmont to... Henry the 8th restaurant ~$8, ...downtown Hamilton ~25, ...St. George's ~$45.
2. HOTEL
Join the President's Club before reserving. Free room Wi-Fi, gym, and faster front desk check-in and out. Consider the harbor view for a more interesting view and noise with less cost.
3. RESTAURANTS
There are about five on this property with one hopping lobby bar. I've reviewed the ones that we ate at over our two-week stay under their names in Trip Advisor. In brief, fine for proximity, but our favorites were off-property We ate at 20+ restaurants; here's our top picks. Lunch - Bolero and Harry's Dinner - Ascot's, Mad Hatters, and Four Ways Inn

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are more expensive than harbor view rooms. Frankly, the harbor view room has a more interesting vista. However, the ocean view balconies have morning sun and shade during the hot afternoon - vice versa for harbor view. You'll have a bit less pool and reception noise in the northern wing.
7  Thank Janou J
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Wow, this is a fantastic and comprehensive guide to Bermuda and The Fairmont Southampton, thank you so much for posting for other potential guests who will benefit from the information! I have noted your areas of concern re: landscaping, paint, etc and will forward them to the relevant teams to ensure that these areas are addressed. I want to again thank you for reviewing, and I hope we can welcome you back for a second time in Bermuda again soon!

Reviewed August 1, 2013

I don't have time to put a full review, but read a response by a staff member of the hotel to someone who cannot get the room type or bed type of their choosing if they book through a third party. The staff's review is not accurate by stating that if you book through the hotel directly, they can tell you what is available and guarantee that room. I booked months in advance when there was every room type available. I booked a king bed room for me and my husband. When I checked in, I was given a room, which I was told by a worker there was a connecting room. My room had two doors on each side and it is used as the living area when people book suites. So basically we were staying in a living room with a bed thrown in there. Me and my husband are not sure if our bed was queen or full size. Our room had a full couch, three tables and four chairs. It was one big clutter. When I went down to the front desk, I was always greeted by the same miserable woman. She told me that was what was available. We also did not have one drawer to place any of our clothes. I complained about that, as well. We were there for six days and had to store our clothes on the floor. I would like to post a full review when I have more time, but had to write this was when I read of a staff member's response that certain rooms are guaranteed if you book through the hotel directly.

2  Thank butterfly127

Thank you for posting on here. I am the staff member that replies to all TripAdvisor reviews and in no way am I dishonest or attempt to be misleading in my Management Responses. If you would like to talk to me directly or address a certain issue with something I have posted with my superiors, please feel free to email to carlita.lodge@fairmont.com.

I am not sure, based on this review, what type of room you were in or what type of room you booked. All of our rooms are either King bedded or queens, there are no fulls. I apologize if the Front Desk staff did not address your queries. All of our rooms have very spacious walk-in-closets with hangers, but I am sorry to hear that was not adequate to your needs. I understand you said this wasn't your full review of the property, and I hope that beyond the issues in rooming your experience in Bermuda and at The Fairmont Southampton was a pleasant one. I again urge you to email me if you are at all confused by what I have posted here, or in the previous management response that you referenced. Thank you.

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Older but well maintained property. Stayed on the Fairmont Gold level. Rooms are very generously sized and appear to have been recently updated. Complimentary continental breakfast, tea and other amenities come with the Gold level. Hotel property is sprawling and offers amenities most guests would expect from a full service resort. Shuttle runs from the hotel to the beach and Hamilton fairly continuously and there is scooter rental on the property. One of the nicer properties on the island.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 6th floor are larger but also more expensive.
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in July and were quite pleased with everything. The room was quite large -- walk-in closet with dresser, double sinks separate from the shower/toilet, robes, great bedding, and turn-down service. Most (?all) rooms have a balcony complete with furniture. Views were awesome. More than enough food options for 3-5 days without needing to repeat everything if aren't interested in leaving the resort. All of the food we had was excellent from the chicken fingers for lunch to the risotto for dinner. Staff tries to learn your name.
We spent 3 days on the hotel beach which was great -- enough staff to cater to your needs without making you feel pestered or like you're being sold things. Comfortable lounge chairs with and without canopies and umbrellas. Bar and food service on the beach. The trolly service runs continuously and the trip down to the beach is 2 minutes.
Lots more pluses we didn't take advantage of on this beach vacation (spa services, water aerobics in the pool, yoga on the beach, beach walks, etc). I was a bit put off that the gym was not included ($14/person/day or $99/person unlimited more for use of the locker room/spa pool).
Overall a fabulous beach getaway. I'd love to return!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing the details of your stay, it sounds like you had a great visit. I'll pass along your compliments on the food to our chefs, and I am glad that our staff tried to greet you by your name. As a quick tip for your next visit, fitness centre access is free to our Fairmont President's Club members, which is free to join. Hope that helps, and we hope to welcome you back again soon!