“Fabulous Resort on a Fabulous Island”

Fairmont Southampton
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Just spent another wonderful vacation on Bermuda at The Fairmont. It is a fantastic hotel with much to offer! Our room was large with a very comfortable bed, sitting area, and beautiful balcony overlooking the bay/Waterlot area. We prefer that view to the ocean one because you get to see the pretty houses. After a small issue with our view not being the one we had requested, Russell arranged for us to get the view and treated us very nicely. We were on the Gold floor which we highly recommend. The food and service is terrific. If you are able to get a table outside, it is just like eating on your own balcony. Every night we looked forward to the after-dinner macaroons and cookies. Except for certain times in the morning, the lounge was not too busy and was a relaxing spot. Taking the trolley to the beach is not a problem at all. In fact, we visited Elbow Beach and The Reefs Hotels and depending where your room is, you need to do a lot of walking or take a van at those places. Here the trolley runs very frequently to the beach and the dock/Waterlot.
The restaurants are fabulous. The Waterlot is still a premiere restaurant and the ceasar salad is quite a treat to have it made fresh at tableside. Vincent, our waiter, made our dessert even more special by having "Happy Anniversary" written on a piece of chocolate. The Ocean House offers great seafood, service and beautiful views. My husband enjoyed the fish chowded at both places. The pool and beach restaurants offered good food and quick service. I made all of our dinner reservations ahead of time, but it seemed not to be a problem the week we were there to make new ones.
We enjoy many of the beaches on the South Shore, but when we did go to the hotel beach in the mid afternoon, we had no problem getting seats. The same for the pool. We discovered the hot tub this trip; it's set off by itself to the left of the pool (facing the ocean). It is a busy hotel, but that does not take away from a couples romantic experience.
Regarding Bermuda: We rode a moped all around the island. It is a great way to see the island, but you need to be confident about your riding ability. The Gibbs Hill Lighthouse offers great views of the island and the gift shop is reasonable and great for souvenirs. We rented a boat from H20 watersports and really enjoyed seeing the little islands and swimming off the boat. We rode to the Dockyard and then had a picnic lunch packed by the hotel. It would have been less expensive to buy food at the Dockyard instead. We had dinner at Coconuts (The Reefs) - great pasta and Seabreeze (Elbow Beach) - great tapas. It's not problem getting cabs at the Fairmont.
Bermuda is a beautiful island that is wonderful to explore. We are always torn between exploring and relaxing at this beautiful resort. Will be back as soon as we can!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jkap
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Wow! Thank you for such a complimentary review - we will pass along your comments to Russell, especially, who is a fantastic, committed manager. We agree - Fairmont Gold is the best and those macaroons are delightful! Thank you for also sharing your helpful tips for exploring Bermuda - it sounds like you had a fantastic and fun action-packed vacation - boating, and scooting and exploring! Thank you for posting, and we hope to welcome you back to us again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,167)

Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Fairmont's Southampton Hotel is spectacular. Great setting and an always wonderful Bermuda. Individual staff can still be unbelievably nice and accommodating while others can be frustrating and slow. The team that greets your arrival is as good as you could hope for. Restaurant staff are typically very good. There is a nice female bartender that takes 5 minutes to shine your wine glass when you really just want a glass of wine so avoid her. Table service in the main bar and outside area is unbelievably slow. it is difficult or impossible to get pool or beach food or drink service so prepare for that before you go. Other than that, I would highly recommend the hotel and all the restaurants. Great job in general.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing your highs and lows of your recent visit. We have passed along the feedback about the service time and wine glass, and hopefully this can help us improve our commitment to exceptional service.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just returned from a four day stay at FS. Booked a junior suite at time of booking online. I was contacted by a hotel representative a week prior to arrival trying to entice me to upgrade to the Fairmont Gold experience.

I was told, "We currently have you booked into one of our best Harbor View Junior Suites in the main hotel. However staying on Fairmont Gold would add an extra touch of luxury to your stay:" The note went on to explain the benefits of Fairmont Gold and the additional expense.

I enjoy the comfort of a larger room when I travel for pleasure so I politely declined the request as the upgraded room would have less square footage. (450 vs 650 sq ft). I assumed from the note from the gentleman from the hotel that my room situation would be fine.

I was wrong.

My "one of our best Harbor View Junior Suites" had the following attributes:

- A second floor room with a view of the roof of the Windows on the Sound restaurant. It is possible to get a peek at the harbor, but a massive spider web precluded me from full access to the balcony.

- A room right on the back of the elevator bank with the delightful experience of listening to the elevators go up and down throughout the day and night.

- A tub that would not drain well. I was a few inches deep in shower water by the end of the my first shower after having pulled the stopper completely out.

- A bathroom door that would not close without excessive force.

I brought these issues (sans the spider web) to the front desk. The manager greeted me and my wife in the lobby and assured us that we would not be able to get another room as the hotel was full. She did send a crew up to the room to service the tub and bathroom door. After dinner we returned to the room to find the bathtub drain fixed and the bathroom door was better. A message from the manager confirmed that we would not be able to get another room.

While the room problems and floor selection could be coincidental, I was left feeling as if there was possibly some malice to not upgrading my room and I certainly was not feeling like the "loyal guest to our brand" as indicated in the hotel's communication to me.

This set a very negative tone. Considering how much time is spent in a room during vacation, at least 1/3 of the time sleeping, and the room experience I have to rate as a 0, it was difficult to give a warm review. Had it not been for the room issue I would have probably given the experience a 4.

Additionally, the first morning when I woke up I had someone else's checkout bill under my door. While, this alone does not exhibit the highest in professional standards, when I brought this issue to the attention of the front desk they asked me to retrieve the bill and bring it down to them which I felt was unprofessional.

The positives:
- Very welcoming staff in general
- The spa is fantastic
- The shuttle runs very frequently
- Location to the beaches
- Food in the restaurants is good/excellent

The negatives:
- Service at restaurants is spotty
- 4 breakfasts at Windows (2 Excellent, 1 Fair, 1 Poor)
- Dinner at Wickets Poor
- 1 Dinner and 2 drinks at Jasmine (1 Excellent, 1 Good, 1 Poor)
- Dinner at Ocean View Excellent
- Dinner at Newport Excellent
- Soundproofing in the rooms is poor

Not good or bad
- The beach is nice, but it is a bit crowded
- It is a nice hotel, however there are many children and it hosts conferences so it lacks a bit of an intimate feel

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Tom P

Thank you, Tom, for sharing your candid thoughts with us. I want to first and foremost assure you that we do not penalize or punish our guests in any way for not choosing to upgrade. It sounds like the person that contacted you thought you might enjoy the extra amenities of the Fairmont Gold floor. There are only 5 Junior Suite Harbour rooms in the building, and as-such, I imagine it would be difficult to relocate you during our busy summer months. I apologize for this inconvenience.

I am glad to hear our Front Desk were able to get your room serviced, but I apologize that it was wanting for repairs when you checked in. I am sure they would have dealt with the spider web if you had mentioned it, but I am sorry it was overlooked before your check-in. The Front Desk certainly should have retreived the bill themselves, and I apologize that you were spoken to in that manner. Regarding the incorrect bill, our staff do make mistakes, and I hope that they thoroughly apologized for the matter.

I am glad you did seem to make the best of your visit, and dined extensively and enjoyed the Willow Stream Spa. I want to extend my sincere apologies for the problems you faced, and if you would like to discuss any of them further, please feel free to email me directly at carlita.lodge@fairmont.com . Thank you again for sharing.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We spent a week at the Fairmont Southampton in June (our 3rd visit in 4 years) and once again had a great trip. We had a 6th floor room (the President's Club floor), a one bedroom king suite with two baths, two walk-in closets and two balconies. The Club floor offers a wonderful breakfast each morning and the staff is truly attentive and friendly. In fact, we found all of the hotel's staff to be very friendly and accommodating throughout our trip.

We enjoyed several dinners at the Fairmont including two at the Ocean Club overlooking the Atlantic. The food and service were very good. We also had an evening BBQ on the beach; several lunches at the beach and a great steak dinner at The Waterlot. We had dinner at their Italian restaurant - Bacci and that was also very good. Your could easily spend a week there and enjoys a broad range of great dining without leaving the property.

Our days were spent primarily at the hotel's beach where we snorkeled, paddle boarded and swam among the huge rock outcroppings for hours looking at all kinds of fish. Further out on the reef I ventured to see larger fish and large schools, but it is rougher out there and not advisable unless you are experienced and with a buddy and float. In the evening we sometimes went to the Spa pool after dinner and had a jacuzzi overlooking the ocean.

There is tennis and golf, but we did not partake this year...we have golfed there in the past and it is a fun course and they rent very good clubs. I usually just bring balls, a glove and my golf shoes.

We also spent an afternoon at the pool at the Fairmont Hamilton which is accessible via the free water taxi. The water taxi is fun and an enjoyable sightseeing excursion in itself. The Hamilton Fairmont has a lovely fresh water pool and another that is salt water. It is a nice way to spend the afternoon and also leave to go and see around Hamilton which is very walkable. We had a great dinner at The Lobster Pot in Hamilton (one of my favourite local haunts).

Another restaurant we enjoy when there is Mickey's, at the Elbow Beach Hotel...the food, wine and service are superb and it feels like an evening on a beach in Italy. Its about an $18 taxi ride from the Southampton.

I continue to highly recommend the Fairmont Southampton for an active, upmarket beach holiday...it checks every box. Bermuda is a truly unique island. It is distinctly civilised and safe for all kinds of travellers. Higher cost due to the need to transport everything to the island, but well worth the additional expense in my view.

Oh, and there is an amazing beach next door - a public beach that you can walk forever, with huge rock formations, tidal pools and sand dunes. It has to be seen to be believed (Horseshoe Beach). It can be busy if a cruise ship is in, but if not, go and check it out - it is accessible through a gate from the Southampton's beach driveway. The Southampton beach is 'guests only'.

We will be going back again and again.

Room Tip: higher floors have great views and even the non-ocean view rooms have good harbour views
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for sharing about your return visit to Bermuda! From the sounds of your review of The Fairmont Southampton, you had a thoroughly excellent visit - exactly the type of relaxing, full-of-fun vacation we hope to provide all our guests. We can't wait to welcome you back, again and again :).

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed at the Fairmont Southampton for one week in July. We stayed in the Deluxe OceanView room.

First the good:

- All of the staff were very, very friendly.

- Very kid-friendly

- Kids eat free (although the kids always got charged on the check each time we ate and we had to remind them of the kids eat free policy).
- Nice pool

- Nice views

- Nice grounds

- Ferry boat to Hamilton

- Windows on the Sound was great for breakfast with excellent service.

- Ocean Club was great for dinner with excellent views, food, and service.

And now the negatives:

- Our neighbors had parties three nights in a row with many, many people into the wee hours or the night. After two nights in a row of calling security one would think the hotel would have taken action to preclude a third night. The only resolution came when the occupants finally checked out on night four.

- It's a bit of a pain to have to take the shuttle bus to the beach

- The private beach was packed every day. You really can't even see the beautiful beach because every square inch is covered with chairs/umbrells.

- The hotel is a bit worse for the wear.

- The $12/person/day resort gratuity is a bit much, especially on top of the resort fee. I've never stayed at a hotel before with a mandatory, per person, per day gratuity (and we typically stay in luxury hotels). My two-year-old and my four-year-old typically don't tip $12/day at other hotels. For a family of four that's $48/day in mandatory room gratuities on top of the $11/day/person resort fee. The mandatory gratuities and resort fee end up adding about 25% to your room rate.

- Wickets had the worst service I have ever seen in a restaurant. Typically 10 minutes before you are greeted at your table. Another ten minutes to place your order. 20-30 minutes to get your food. This is for a burger place. It was comical to see multiple patrons on multiple days getting up and leaving before getting their food or placing their orders. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of dining options at the resort, so you have to keep coming back.

Overall a pretty resort with pretty views. Doesn't even come close to a Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons standards, with similar prices. If you are looking for a resort where you can sit at the pool all day and sip a Dark and Stormy this might be the place for you. If you want some time away from the crowds this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: Check out the pool and hot tub in the spa after 6p when it opens to non-spa guests. Best view on th...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank knoxvillenick

Thank you for sharing your experiences, it is disappointing to hear that we did not live up to your expectations. I will try to address some of your concerns here, but if you'd like to talk in-depth, feel free to email me at carlita.lodge@fairmont.com

I have forwarded your concerns about the kids under 5 eat free program to our F&B department - all of our staff have been trained on this. I am also sending on your comments about Wickets - this service is not up to our high-quality standards and it will be addressed. There are, however, 9 restaurant outlets, so guests can choose another option if that one doesn't suit them.

It's nice to hear you were able to enjoy the free ferry ride to our sister hotel. Our taxes, gratuities, and resort levy cover mandatory government taxes, union-mandated gratuities, and the free services like the ferry, trolleys, etc.

Thank you again for sharing your comments, and I again apologize that your experience wasn't quite what you expected. I hope that you will give us another chance in the future to show you our high-quality service.

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is a nice blend of modern and old word charm. The decor is a little dated but the hotel was clean and well kept so it worked. Everything needed was right at our fingertips: restaurant, bar, gym, pool, and spa. The staff was also very friendly and helpful. Great location for proximity to Horseshoe Bay

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Kristina M
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Just spent a few days at the property. My wife and two children (6 and 9) had a great time. Kids under 12 eat at half price from the adult menu which saves some money. The biggest downside is that you have to take a shuttle to get to the beach. Even though we only waited may be 5 minutes at most both ways, it is an inconvenience. The pool is quite nice and the restaurant choices offer a nice variety. The free boat shuttle to Hamilton is great to take even if you just want a cool boat ride to enjoy the views! We were on the gold floor which offers a great breakfast, afternoon tea and appetizers at dinner time. The kids absolutely loved it. If you have a family - it might be worth it to pay the extra $ due to the free food and drinks. The private concierge also offers very personal service. Overall it is still an expensive resort especially when you add about $150/night of taxes/fees.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for posting about your family vacation - we heartily agree, the Fairmont Gold experience is definitely worth the additional cost for all of the private perks. I apologize that you felt inconvenienced by the short trolley-ride to the beach, but am heartened to hear you enjoyed the experience nonetheless. Part of the unspoiled charm of Bermuda is how the beaches remain undeveloped upon, and as such it is unlikely more of our infrastructure would be moved any closer. We're glad that your kids were also able to enjoy the experience, and we hope to welcome your family back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Southampton Parish
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
#3 of 5 in Paget Parish

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!