“Amazing Hotel, Staff and Restaurants”

Fairmont Southampton
Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

Everything is first class from the gym, beach, restaurants, and facilities. The views from property are truly heavenly. We took the free hotel ferry over to Hamilton and did bit of shopping. Nice trip... so much more!! No reason to leave the resort. :-)

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank ilovecc
Write a ReviewReviews (4,092)

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed at the Fairmont Southampton during our visit to Bermuda during Thanksgiving Weekend 2012. We had an enjoyable stay and felt that the hotel was a good launching pad to explore Bermuda, located near the beaches of Horseshoe Bay and offering convenient and complimentary ferry transfers to Hamilton.

The hotel is nothing to write home about. We were upgraded to a larger corner room, but the room itself was very dated with scratches on furniture and small stains on the carpeting. The restaurants at the hotel were all very good, particularly the Newport and the Waterlot, though we definitely ate most of our meals in Hamilton.

The one highlight of the hotel is its spa facilities. The indoor pool is absolutely stunning and is a good place to have a few laps to unwind. The indoor pool is complimentary for hotel guests to use after the spa closes for the day.

The hotel offers something for everyone. They screen movies for both adults and kids, offer classes and workshops, and have a number of sporting activities on hand. We took heavy advantage of the hotel's private beach, which is only a 3 minute bus ride away.

All in all, it was a pleasant stay and we will be back again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank uaflyer18
Reviewed June 18, 2013

It's a wonderful hotel. Classy, friendly, safe, and refined. But in spite of its high nightly room rates, you have to purchase the amenities. There's fees for things like internet and the fitness room, which typically are complimentary in hotels. If these items were included, it would make the hotel much more desirable. Island food is quite pricey, so including a continental breakfast would also be attractive. The hotel is located fairly far from the main action on the island, and there are no car rentals on the island. There's a bus stop nearby but you have to go up or down a hill to reach one of the routes. There are very nice recreational activities at or near the hotel like water sports (fee), hiking, and biking (fee). The southside beaches are very lovely and the area is scenic. Horseshoe Bay is nearby. Gibbs Lighthouse is a nice stroll. The hotel is by the Railway Trail which is a plus. Bermuda is a beautiful and gracious island to visit. I'll visit again, but stay in a hotel that is more value-added.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor. It is wonderful to hear that you were entranced by Bermuda's beauty. I'd like to clarify, however, that our WiFi & Gym Access are available to our Fairmont President's Club Members, which is free to join. You can rent scooters on the property, or borrow a BMW bike (with FPC membership), but the most leisurely way to travel is to take the complimentary ferry to our sister property, The Fairmont Hamilton Princess, which lands you in the heart of Hamilton after a stunning 25 minute cruise. Thanks again for sharing about your trip, I hope that you reconsider and stay with us to enjoy the perks of a FPC membership.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have been to the Fairmont Southampton twice and each time has been amazing! There is nothing about the hotel which I do not like.

Location: It is a drive from the airport, but you get to see the island that way. After being at the resort there are some things which you can walk to, such as Gibbs Lighthouse. There are some other local cafes/shops you can walk to - but you will have to to take a cab or boat to the major of shops or the city. The private beach is fantastic and relaxing. We loved spending most of our time on the private beach. But you can also walk down and see many other beaches such as horseshoe bay. There are convenient trails along the beach to walk on, providing great scenery and they are safe.

Hotel: The hotel is self is nice on the inside. The woodwork and decorations are nice. The hotel itself is very clean. The outside is a bit dated, but that didn't bother me. The pools were nice and large. The room was large with a nice bathroom - very clean with a nice wrap around balcony.

Staff: Was extremely pleasant at all times. They always went out of their way to provide excellent service. A storm came and we had to stay an extra day and the staff was incredibly accommodating. Also they sent complimentary chocolates and campaign upon arrival as I emailed them beforehand that I just recent was engaged. I have stayed in a lot of hotels around the world and the service at the Fairmont is ranked among the top of my experience.

Food: The food was good! We had room service a few times which we enjoyed. It was a bit pricy for what it was, but no issues with quality or taste. We enjoyed being able to order room service rather than go to the restaurants.

My wife and I have said anytime we take a trip to Bermuda we will always stay at the Fairmont Southampton. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

TIPS: Do not pay full price! Often they have deals for $150-200 a night. Also join the Fairmont Club beforehand and you will get some extras like; complimentary BMW bikes and wi-fi.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2013

To say I was dreading my trip to Bermuda would be putting it lightly. My 21 month old daughter has a severe allergy to milk and eggs. Before this trip we’d never taken her to a restaurant, never mind to a remote island 2,000 miles from home. I had also never used her EpiPen and was certain if I had to inject her, the trip would be ruined beyond repair.

I was put in touch with Fairmont Executive Chef Christopher Chafe, who immediately called me at home to ease my fears. By the time we arrived in Bermuda, I was quite confident that I could trust him with my daughter. I wasn’t convinced however, that any of the other staff could be trusted and vowed to stick like glue to Chris for the duration of the trip.

My worries and fears were completely unfounded. The chefs in each Fairmont restaurant came out to greet us and personally served my daughter every single meal. We were particularly impressed with Theo at Wickets who made bite-sized take-away meals for our daughter so we could go to friend's houses for dinner.

The waiters and hostesses were also amazingly friendly, playfully talking to our daughter every time she stepped foot in their restaurant. My daughter is incredibly shy and didn’t respond to the staff initially, but the fact that they kept making the effort - even with little return on her part - impressed us greatly. But by the end of our trip, the staff was greeting her by name in the hallways and the lobby. She walked around the hotel like she owned it! It was wonderful to see.

The staff at the Fairmont Southampton Princess consistently went above and beyond what was expected, and for that we're truly grateful.

If you or your child has an allergy, I recommend staying at the Fairmont for a completely stress-free holiday!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jennifer B

Thank you so much for your kind words about your recent stay. Fairmont takes allergies very seriously, and our culinary team under Chef Chris Chafe are very diligent about ensuring that our guests are able to eat without worry - and to eat delicious food, at that! They believe having an allergy doesn't mean your food doesn't have to taste good. I have sent on your note to congratulate our teams, I am so thrilled to hear that you received friendly service and had a stress-free, relaxing vacation with your family. In future travels, know that all Fairmont Hotels have the same policy and will be able to help you out. We hope to welcome you back to Bermuda again soon, though!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I would have given 5 stars, but we had an issue in the room. For some reason, our patio doors would not completely close (handle was a bit bent), so the AC wouldn't turn on. It took a few trips from the maintenance department to figure it out and give us a temporary fix (I guess they were too booked to move us to a different room). Eventually, they did get the AC back on (it was really hot out), but we missed our dinner reservations while we waited to get this resolved. After that however, it was pure paradise. The staff were absolutely wonderful, attentive and friendly. They helped us to arrange a fishing trip, golf, and the best way to tour the island on our own without using taxi's the whole time. The resort beach is a huge plus. We really liked having the private area to go relax and snorkeling. As others have said about the outdoor pool, it is small. So, if you want a seat, get there EARLY. The beverage service at both the beach and pool was also great. But, expect to pay for the convenience. When people say Bermuda is expensive. Believe it. The breakfast buffet is nice, but we considered it a splurge. Otherwise, you can find juice and coffee and snacks in the morning next to the lobby. Overall, I found the resort buildings older (and maintained), which gave it a bit of ambiance, well kept and clean.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was our first time in Bermuda and we will definitely return. However, we will not be returning to the Fairmont Southhampton. From our first interaction with the front desk to the last, we felt like they were doing us a favor by letting us stay at their resort.

When we checked in at the President's Club desk we were informed that there were no rooms with King size beds available. When we explained to them that this was unacceptable due to the fact that we had booked a room with 111a King size bed, their response was that it was a request not a guarantee when booking the room. Of course we did not accept this response and insisted we be placed in a room with a King Size bed. Of course, one miraculously became available. Of course when we found our the location of the room, it was right next to the elevator. Keep in mind that this is a hotel that serves as the location for many weddings. Weddings at times provide a great deal of alcohol which results in very noisy guests getting on and off of the elevator talking very loud (Which we experienced that night). We went back down to the lobby and explained that we were not pleased being put in a room in one of the least favorable locations in a hotel (the second being next to the emergency exit). We were given some crazy response that we would have to move to a room with 2 Queen beds for the first night then see if a room with a King bed would become available. Um No!!! Why couldn't we just stay in the room we were in and then move to another room the next day. After finally having to have a discussion with the front desk manager, we were able to stay in the unfavorable King room and then move to the better room the following day.

Once everything was settled with the room it was time to relax by the pool. Not so much. The room was full of kids with un-atentive parents. It was impossible to so much as take a relaxing dip in the pool without being splashed by kids jumping in the pool and screaming at the top of their lungs. I understand that kids enjoy the pool,but enough is enough. I should also add that the pool was full of dirt and debris.

The following day we went to the "private" beach. Not so private. Anyone and everyone could just walk past the "security desk" and spend time on the Fairmont beach. It was nearly impossible to get someone to come by your chair to take your drink order which forced you to have to go to the bar to order drinks from the more than rude bartenders. If you do not order something off of their drink list you will get an exasperated eye roll and a not so great cocktail.

We return to the hotel to our new room and walk into a steady drip of water coming out of the air conditioner. They were quick to come and remedy the situation however the dripping stopped but now the air conditioner didn't work. At this point we were so frustrated we just left the door open and let the breeze keep us cool.

When we attempted to make a tennis court reservation, there was no answer at the pro shop so we left a message. When we did not receive a call back, we decided to just head over to the tennis court (every single one unoccupied) and take it from there. The tennis shop was locked up tight with no one to be found. We decided to just go ahead and play. When the substitute pro arrived to give a lesson, he informed us that we were supposed to pay for the court, but this time he would just let it go. We would have been more than happy to pay for the court time if there was anyone in site to interact with to actually pay.

Following tennis we walked over to the beach. My husband went into the mens locker room and was disgusted to find fecal matter on the bathroom floor and smeared all over the toilet. Hours later he went back in just to see if the mess had been cleaned up. It had not.

On our final day we decided to enjoy a couple of hours at the pool before heading to the airport. At this time we also decided to enjoy a beverage. We ordered a low fat vanilla milkshake and asked for them to add rum. Basically the same as one of their "cocktail list" cocktails with fresh fruit. When we settled our tab we were shocked to find that two drinks totaled $51.00. When we questioned our server she informed us that the milk shake was $12.50 and the rum was an additional $10 + the added gratuity. Never in all of my travels and splurges have I had a $24 milkshake. This was what sent us over the edge. The only positive is that the restaurant manager did refund us the $10 for the rum.

If you are looking for a nice relaxing vacation where you are treated as a valued guest, the Fairmont is not the place for you.

We are definitely returning to Bermuda. The people are lovely and the beaches are beautiful. When we return we will be looking for another place to stay.

Room Tip: Do not be near the pool unless you enjoy a lot of noise.