“A large hotel on a hill”

Fairmont Southampton
Newbury
“A large hotel on a hill”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This is a large hotel set on one of the highest points on the island from where you have views of both the ocean and the Great Sound. It has many restaurants in the hotel which can be confusing but there are notices informing guests of the menu choices on offer. There are also one over the golf shop and the Waterlot Inn, a four star steak house which, in my opinion, served the best food. Be careful with ordering drinks as they expensive; the least costly bottle of wine we had was $65.
The hotel is some way from the private beach but is served by a trolley bus which runs frequently. The hotel runs a free ferry service between its sister in Hamilton when weather permits.
Sporting facilities include tennis courts and the golf course but are accessible only at an extra cost.
There are other facilities including a spa and swimming pool. We did not use either as the spa was very expensive and the external pool closed for refurbishment.
In summary, the hotel suffers from its size in that it is not very homely and rather impersonal but it is well run and comfortable.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room with an ocean view and overlooking the golf course. The corner suites at the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (969)
  • Polish first
New Jersey
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We stayed 10 days and were able to get all over the island on public bus. This location is the best and the ferry to the sister property in Hamilton is a fabulous perk. It cost me one book of 15 bus tickets to get everywhere utilizing their ferry service. My daughter received a free spring break pass at the airport that gave her unlimited free public transportation. The people, service, location are top notch. There's no other comparable place on the island. We went by bus to Coco Reef as this was the spring break headquarters. The beach was lovely and the people nice but nowhere near the amenities offered at the Fairmont. We never want to leave. Everyone is so nice but there is one doorman that you just want to hug. He is always so happy and makes you want to be just like him. A most wonderful stay!

Room Tip: We got an upgrade without asking but the place is so fabulous I don't think any room can e a dis...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lulubirdy
Markham, Canada
Reviewed March 15, 2013

You know that credit card commercial where travellers show up for the Olympics after it's all over, the stadium is empty and the atmosphere is not quite right? That was my experience at the Fairmont Southampton in mid-March. "You should be here in the season - it's a completely different place". I thought off season meant no crowds and milder temps. It was quite cold, rainy (not their fault of course) and gale force winds shut the ferries down. The locals are wearing down jackets and toques so why is the air conditioning still full blast in the restaurants? Half the restaurants were closed and lunch/dinner service for the ones that were open was painfully slow. My 17 year old who works for restaurant at home attributed it to the automatic 17% tip - no incentive! I think they just don't have enough staff in the right places. Trying to get a cab in the evening from restaurants took 30+ minutes. The outdoor pool was closed and there were limited areas where you could sit outdoors - who wants to look at an empty pool? That said, the food when it finally arrived was good and the people are very friendly. Bermuda is a beautiful island and we travelled from end to end by taxi and/or on the local bus. Would love to go back but not in March. If you go, bring a coat and some fellow diners so you are not the only one there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Connie P
Cranford, NJ
Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hotel doesn't cater to families, it rather caters to business groups, they want to keep them happy. The hotel was overbooked and the beach was really crowded, not mention the hotel is not on the beach and you have to grab the bus to get there. Yes, I knew this in advance but it was not good and like I said, the beach is really overcrowded.
We received good service in the hotel. The lobby doesn't compare to the Fairmont in town which has been upgraded and just beautiful. The restaurants were good, that includes Baci and the beachfront restaurant. Although, the beachfront restaurant was great atmosphere to dine outside with the sunset, the food was OK, not great.
The rooms were nice, we had adjoining rooms due to traveling with teenagers and that was good.
Loved Bermuda but I absolutely would not return to this particular hotel, I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed March 8, 2013

The first night we were there, we ate at Jasmine's, a restaurant at the hotel. We waited 45 minutes for the food, and another half hour for our food to be picked up when finished. Not once was our water re-filled. Was near impossible to get service from the restaurant. Horrible service, and it was what we experienced throughout our stay. We paid $45 a night (in addition to our room rate) for gratuities for housekeeping and the bellmen. Not once did any bellmen assist us with any luggage or strollers, as we were traveling with 2 children under the age of 2. No turndown service. We found out on our 2nd day that the outdoor pool was closed (the one that is more family friendly, much bigger then the indoor pool and with a slide). - Never was this mentioned while making our reservation. Our room was nice and spacious. Bed was great! We also enjoyed the Bermuda breakfast on Sunday, great selection. The property is amazing, with beautiful views, but the lack of service will prevent us from coming back. We wrote the manager, and even then could not come to a resolution. They obviously are not focused on customer service, and that's unfortunate because it is an awesome property!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank travisair
Blue Bell, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Background: Bermuda was on my bucket list, always wanted to go and of course, stay at the Fairmont! Plus it was my birthday so wanted to ensure I had a perfect experience! Read all the reviews, good and bad (not many but did not want to be that .0009% that have a bad experience for whatever reason), and sent an email to the Fairmont regarding the negative reviews. Also, I’m really picky, try to stay at the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton, etc. when budget allows. And the survey says…….
**************************************Better than superb!***********************************************
I received multiple emails from the Carlita Lodge, the Marketing and Communications Manager, who assured me that my stay would be of the highest caliber and I had been upgraded two levels!

***************
Upon arrival, within minutes of entering my room, got a call from Alex, another manager, who confirmed my satisfaction with my room and offered his services if I needed anything. BTW, the room was gorgeous, had a view of the atlantic ocean, beautiful!

**************
When I returned that evening, there was a gorgeous birthday cake (see my pictures!) that I wound up snacking on the whole time (had a fridge in my room); with a card from Rita, another manager, also offering assistance should I need it.
***************
Then I get a knock on the door and Judy, the person assigned in the evening, asked if I needed anything and did so every night I was there.
****************
The concierge Maurice was outstanding, so patient and very helpful.
*****************
When I went to the front desk Monday, Pete, the manager from the Gold floor came out and when I told him I was thinking of going out to dinner and trying scuba, he whipped out his phone and proceeded to make reservations at various restaurants and arrange for a scuba diving .
****************
While Pete was on the phone, Alex came out and introduced himself again and offered his assistance.
****************
Oh, and how could I forget Tanya, at the front desk, so pleasant, so accommodating, so gracious, even when she was outside of the hotel, and not working.
Everyone was wonderful. Once again the Fairmont sets itself apart with its customer centric attitude.
*******************
As usual, loved the robe and slippers (left the slippers, but now that I think about it, maybe you can take them home, check with the desk). The bed was so comfy, love those pillows, sheets and duvet. Loved all the little touches (assorted coffees, emery boards, cotton puffs, closet big enough for a cabinet to put all your clothes, both folded and hung)
Loved the pool (indoor, little small for laps but so nice with the openings to the outside), fitness center ( fruit, iced lemon and plain water dispensers) and that view of the ocean, plus I loved they had a defribillator (being prepared!)
Loved the shops (Madree was so helpful since I had to buy another bag to fit the stuff I bought).
Loved the food, even if the buffalo wings weren’t really buffalo wings (they were hot, crispy and fresh)
Love the smoked salmon plate and the flexibility of room service to bring up the cream cheese, after the fact.
Loved the daily news digest.
Loved the friendliness of the trolley drivers.
Loved Nick, who followed up regarding pickup when I was leaving.
**********************
Tips, buy the 3 day pass, taking the bus to St. Georges, Hamilton, etc, you get wonderful sense of the island. Join the president’s club so you get free wifi; buy a phone card (available at the front desk, to avoid fee, can call from the lobby area pay phones) if you plan to call the states or you may be liable for huge roaming charges (I kept my phone on airplane mode the whole time); arrange online in advance for CEO shuttle (just keep in mind if you don’t check your luggage, you will be waiting if someone else has checked theirs).
****************************
Love the green initiative…..
Also comments about the cost; being originally from New York ( and also have a job where I see a lot of hotel folios and meal receipts) , did not think the prices were out of line for a hotel, especially a high end one. Loved that the gratuity, etc was included (didn’t need to do the math) in everything.
**********************
To repeat, better than superb. All of the staff, and I’ve forgotten some names, went out of their way and they did not have to, really made my birthday absolutely perfect, looking to return next year!

Room Tip: higher floors, better view, harbor, ocean view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Between the views of the Atlantic Ocean and the elegance of the property when you enter the lobby, the Fairmont South Hampton is one of my favorite hotels I've ever stayed at. While the room was nothing out of this world, the views were one of a kind. The property grounds were expansive, but manageable with the trolly service that would pick you up from the lobby area and down to the private beach as well to other areas of the property.

The staff was also first class and always willing to assist. I stayed for about a week in September '11 and outside of about ten minutes of rain we got when we first arrived, it was high 70s/low 80s for the remainder of the week.

Can't wait to go back!

#2 of 2 in Hamilton Parish
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!