“Nice, but....”

Fairmont Southampton
Massachusetts
“Nice, but....”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Wanting to spend Christmas away from home, a golf vacation seemed like a good idea. Gotobermuda.com offers great deals. The hotel itself is your average mid range hotel; the staff is very friendly, especially Nick, the bellman. He is Mr. Bermuda. The concierge, front desk and wait staff are great however, that cannot be said for the housekeeping staff. Most needed to almost walk into you to say hello and, our housekeeper had a real attitude. Our room lacked some basic amenities that were listed on the 'included' list. I was able to get those items but I needed to ask. As is typical of Bermuda, food is very expensive and the hotel was no exception. The indoor pool was not available until after 6:30pm unless you wanted to pay a daily spa fee. Would certainly go back but would probably choose another accommodation.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 3timeslost
Carlita L, Marketing & Communications Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor. While I am glad to hear that you found most of the service and staff to be amiable, I am disappointed that you found the service lacking in the housekeeping department. I heartily apologise for this, and have sent your concerns onto management to ensure that they are addressed for future guests. We take pride in having friendly, fantastic staff- and I have to agree with you, Nick is the true super-star. Thanks again for leaving us a review, and we hope to welcome you back for another golf vacation soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,004)
  • Polish first
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Perfect escape to Bermuda at the Fairmont Southampton. First trip to Bermuda and quite a haul from Southern California- but was well worth it. This location gave us the perfect amount of family down time that we needed. This location gave us easy access to bus lines, beach club via hotel trolley, and the ferry. The hotel (quite expansive) was well decorated for the holidays and very festive. The trees along the entire driveway were wrapped in lights and we counted at least 5 Christmas trees inside. We still had a chance to watch some American Football on Thanksgiving (recommend enjoying with a Dark & Stormy from Jasmine's). Christmas spirit aside, we were at the beach and heated pool every day. We traveled at the start of the off-season, so we literally had the hotel and amenities to ourselves and scored a heck of a deal on the room rate (50% reduced rate direct through Fairmont). Stayed first few nights in a king ocean view room and spent the last leg of the trip in a suite on the harbor side. Ocean view was fantastic; request a high floor at the end farthest from the lobby as to not be overlooking the entry way or the roof. Harbor side had views to Hamilton with a nice twinkling city/town views at night. We never had problem with noise, contrary to what other guests had posted, but again, this was during Thanksgiving so not very many travelers. Although I liked the spaciousness of the suite, next time would choose ocean view. Harbor side seemed to have a continuous chill since it was never in direct sunlight. The beach club was a good option with showers, towels, and bar service. We ventured next door to Horseshoe bay, but started and ended our beach days at the hotel beach club. The trolley to and from the bus stops, ferry, and beach club was very convenient. We never waited more than a couple of minutes. Service at this hotel was great. Every employee was amazingly helpful, courteous, and had true Bermudian charm. Nick at the front entrance and Jaswin inside Jasmine’s are to be commended for their hospitality. No complaints about the Fairmont Southampton – would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floor for sure. Request farthest away from the lobby to ensure your view isn't of the roo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing about your Thanksgiving vacation in Bermuda! We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed yourselves, and that our holiday cheer was contagious- we sure do like our decorations! Both the suites and deluxe rooms offer great views, whichever you choose, and it's great that you liked both room options. We consistently get comments on our star colleague, Nick, from the front door and it's wonderful to be able to share with him that his efforts are memorable. Thank you for sharing, we'll be sure to pass along the note to Nick & Jaswyn. We hope that you are able to visit with us again soon, and can enjoy more of our Bermuda hospitality.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Breathtaking views, excellent service and just about everything in close proximity. The beach is a short walk down/up the hill (there's a trolly that will take you there as well). This property has a little something for everyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jordan B
Long Island, New York
Reviewed December 27, 2012

We traveled to Bermuda for our annual winter trip as a family. We absolutely loved the location, the easy access to beaches via trolley, the trails and tennis on site, as well as the pools. My kids are 3 and 6 and I felt like the hotel was very family focused from story time with milk and cookies to the decorations and activities available for kids. We had two rooms, 9 people and we overall had a wonderful time. The weather wasn't as warm as we hoped but that's just part of visiting in the down season.

My only criticism of the hotel were aspects of the room itself- we left our cookies by the tv at some point in the first day and came back to find them covered in ants. The hotel took care of it by spraying the room the next day and we didn't have a problem after that but we were fairly grossed out by it. The hotel provided a refrigerator for us so we kept all of our food items in there. Also the heat didn't work in our room but worked in the second room and it was frustrating because we asked them to check it two or two times but no one came. Finally, no free wi-fi! That's sort of crazy in today's world but it was good in a way because we weren't glued to our devices.

We highly recommend the Newport gastropub for food onsite, and the Jasmine is nice for lunch. There's plenty of food onsite but just expensive. The waiters were also part of the best service on site.

I would go here again, during a warmer season and with more information about local food options.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing about your recent Bermuda vacation. We're glad that you enjoyed our special holiday program and family-focused activities and amenities. To address your room concerns, unfortunately ants are a reality of a tropical climate such as Bermuda. While we ensure our rooms are kept tidy and ant-free, if food is left out with a balcony door open, it is likely they will find their way into the building. I am glad our housekeeping department was able to clean up the mess and keep it ant-free for the rest of your stay, while also providing a fridge for any other food items you may want to keep. I apologise for any inconsistencies in the heating of your room, and that you did not receive adequate maintenance support. I will follow-up with them to ensure that our rooms have the heat working properly for future guests. Wi-Fi is free to Fairmont President's Club members, which is free to join. Thank you again for sharing your experiences, we hope that you will join us again in a more temperate time of year.
Saint Albans, Vermont
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I should have been the scum of this hotel, considering I got a super-cheapo rate at hotels.com for their least expensive room. Instead, I received a very warm greeting online right before the trip welcoming me to their establishment. It was just the right tone for me to feel like a valued guest rather than an undesirable. When we checked in at 2 AM (thank you, American Airlines for the 4-hour maintenance delay issue) the front desk was ready with a 2-step-above free upgrade without my even asking. We went over Xmas and they had a great program for 12 days including free chef demonstration, cookie decorating and wine-tasting. Yes, the restaurants were expensive. Pack granola bars in the suitcase, and at least breakfast can be free. The food and service were superb, so I'm not even complaining. Although it was a grand old hotel, it didn't feel stuffy, the other guests were beyond friendly, and the concierge was endlesslessy patient with my dumb requests. They even surprised my daughter during an afternoon nap with a birthday cake. The waiter was most insistent on singing her Happy Birthday while she was in bed in her pjs. A little awkward although she ended up being thrilled. If you're looking for class that you can luxuriate in but not be suffocated by, this is the place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed December 27, 2012

On my second day of vacation here Dec 27,2012 I came to the Windows on the sound restaurant for breakfast and ordered a waffle and side of bacon off the menu. I had to wait 30 minutes and when it came it was cold! For $20 per waffle I expect it to be hot! The waiter told me to order the $30 buffet next time (really $42 after gratuity and the juice beverage). They did however bring me a new hot waffle and credit me the $6 side of bacon. Last night I ordered room service and received cold, unflavored pasta with an apple pie that was bitter and bland (and $60). The food here is overpriced and gross. -_- I would caution you to eat off the property if you stay here.

Room Tip: I think any room would be great. They are very clean. My room is facing the ocean and the lighthouse...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank V F
Thank you for taking the time to write to us. I apologise that you were unhappy with your food at Windows on the Sound, and that the waiter was not a better host. I also apologise that you did not enjoy your in-room dining meal. We have a very talented culinary staff, and it is disappointing to hear that they missed the mark for you twice during your stay. We hope that you are able to see past these anomalies and will consider staying with us again in the future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 18, 2012

My fiancé and I visited Bermuda recently and stayed at the Fairmont. The views from the property were unbelievable and having a trolley to take us to all major locations on the property was great. The staff was very accommodating and ready to meet our needs.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!