“Your room will determine the quality of your stay”

Fairmont Southampton
Reviewed October 8, 2012

First off, I have to say that Bermuda was one of the most beautiful places I have visited recently. I was shocked at how gorgeous the water was and how peaceful the experience was. Upon arrival, the valet staff quickly greeted us and offered to handle our bags. I was really impressed with the valet staff throughout our entire stay; they were always very friendly and engaging, making jokes. It was a pleasure seeing them each morning upon departure and each evening upon arrival back at the hotel.

I loved the design of the hotel. It certainly is not for everyone and modern purists would absolutely hate it, but I found it to be very charming and kitschy. The style definitely recalls the colonial British past with splashes of bright colors to bring in the tropics. I thought each area of the hotel, from the lobby to the restaurants to the hallways, was very well-kept. Some have complained about the hotel needing renovations, but I thought everything looked quite clean and fresh, other than the second room we were placed in (more about that later).

Check-in was very quick and friendly. The clerk had a huge smile and made us feel very welcome. Upon arrival in the room, I was floored. I was worried that the harbor view would not be very spectacular, but boy was I wrong. It was gorgeous. Much like my comments on the common area design, the room was also a Caribbean-kitsch chic. Bright colors and maybe not to everyone's taste, but I thought it was lovely. Our view, however, was what kept me drawn in. You could see the beautiful villas and the cruise ships coming and going. Each sunrise and sunset was more spectacular than the last. There were minor things wrong with the room, but it was nothing that I got worked up over; for example, the room was missing a room service menu and a pen. There were also some minor housekeeping inconsistencies. Granted, I noticed these things, but I was not bothered until the third night...

On our third night, upon retiring to bed, I noticed that my bed was soaking wet. It appeared as though the housekeepers had dumped an entire bucket of water on the bed or something because it was completely soaked, all the way through into the mattress. This was no spilled drink, etc. It had to have been a massive amount of water. It was all very curious. Of course, I inquired if a new mattress could be sent up, but they said it would not be possible and offered to move us to a new room. I accepted the offer and was greeted shortly by a man I thought was a bellhop because he had a cart for moving our luggage and escorted us to our new room. Upon viewing the new room, I was pretty upset. It looked very, very dated and smelled quite musty. It also had a door which adjoined to another room. You could hear every footstep above you, in the halls and through the walls. We had the pleasure of being in a room next to a screaming baby. It was awful. The bathtub was full of long hairs. And the view was also absolutely disappointing. On the right side, you could see into the rooms/balconies of what seemed like a third of the hotel. Below, was the unkempt roof to the breakfast area. If you craned your neck to the left, you could make out a bit of the harbor. Our balcony also had tons of spiderwebs, which made you question housekeeping's competence.

Needless to say, this room was unacceptable. We went downstairs to ask to be moved, and the clerk kept going back to ask the manager questions, the answers to which she would repeat to us. I asked if we could speak directly to the manager because she clearly did not have the ability to change our situation and was not handling herself very professionally. She then informed us that the manager could not speak to us because he was ready to go home. I could not believe this. I understanding wanting to leave work, but when your work is not finished, you cannot simply abandon your duties. Finally, the manager comes out and lo and behold, it was the "bellhop" from earlier. How could he have not introduced himself as a manager? Fairmont should be ashamed to have this person on staff because I have never met someone so rude and disrespectful in my life. He was a tall, thin man with a French accent. He basically said that we were in the same "class" of room and that there was nothing he could do. I even asked if I could go back to our original room and sleep on the soaked bed because I would rather do that than stay even one minute more in that room that should be condemned. He refused. We were offered no compromise for this incredible inconvenience. This showed a huge gap or failure in service training. Having stayed at some of the most glamorous hotels in the world, I know what real service is, and a manager should never come from a place of no. "No" does not exist in the service industry. If there is a problem, you need to fix it. I find it extremely hard to believe that no other room was available to switch us into, nor do I understand why I could not have returned to our original room.

After breakfast the next morning, after neither of us had been able to sleep because of the screaming baby, I inquired at the front desk about whether our original room was ready or whether there was another room more similar to our original one available. She graciously moved us to an ocean-front room and apologized for the inconvenience. This was 9:00am, so I find it hard to believe that someone had checked out of the "fully-booked" hotel and housekeeping had already prepped the room. This made me quite angry at the manager from the prior night; feeling like you have been lied to is an awful sentiment. I was not looking for a free upgrade; in fact, I said to both the night and day manager, I just wanted my old room back. I believe our original room was number 295...it was quite a long walk from the elevator but WELL worth it. We went from being in heaven and absolutely loving everything to hell and hating everything. That is why I truly believe the type of room and placement especially will determine the quality of your stay. Had I been originally placed in the "second" room, I would have hated the Fairmont and told anyone who would listen to stay away. If housekeeping had not ruined the bed of our first room, I would have given this hotel 5 stars and had nothing to complain about. The food was excellent, the beach fantastic, and most of the service was top-notch, other than the night clerk and incompetent night manager.

Lastly, I would not waste the money on the beachfront rooms. We stayed in one our last night, and it was fine, but we were positioned over the parking lot where the trolleys picked up and dropped off guests, so there was constant chatter by the guests and the sounds of the trolleys. Our first room was perfectly serene and not a sound could be heard!

Room Tip: Request a room far from the elevators and not looking into other rooms.
4  Thank DCTraveler1979
Write a ReviewReviews (4,135)

Reviewed October 6, 2012

When i booked I did not have very high expectations and was really not sure what to expect. All in all, i was happy with the outcome. The hotel was not exceptional nor was the experience, but it was still very satisfactory. The staff generally were very nice (although the woman that checked us in was actually terrible), polite and accommodating. The room was sufficiently large and was fresh - it appeared as if the carpets were recently replaced. The concierge desk was helpful and very pleasant.

The pool area is small and i wonder if the hotel was full (it was not close to full for our stay) how they could possibly accommodate that many people. The indoor pool only allows people over 18 (oddly enough, after 6:30 kids can use the indoor pool). So if it rains, children cannot use the indoor pool that is not likely being used by adults. In my view, a pretty silly policy that should be reevaluated.

The exercise facility was nice and well equipped. It exceeded my expectations.

This is not a complain as much as a honest commentary regarding the food. We ate at the Italian restaurant (Bocci) and the seafood restaurant (Ocean View I believe it is called). Both were mediocre. Service was fine but the food was average - not bad, but nothing special. If either restaurant was in my home city, I would certainly not eat there. The dining options are rather limited as you cannot walk or drive to other restaurants (although you can take a taxi) so you are somewhat a captive audience. I was somewhat annoyed that you could not get a decent latte in the mornings (although you could get a small and very bad takeout latte for approximately $7). If it was good and larger, the $7 would not bother me but it was not close to that. Presumably an easy thing to fix and i am surprised that they have not done so long ago.

I found it amusing that they advertise in the elevator that they have complimentary BMW bikes for use by the guests. However, when attending at the bike hut we were told that they now only have one bike available. Ok, not the end of the world but perhaps it is time to remove the sign.

In any event, we enjoyed the hotel and would both recommend it and would go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Everything I expected from the Bermuda Fairmont Southampton was provided. The service, room, view, amenities, and food were exceptional. The staff were warm and friendly which made our trip that much more enjoyable. So with that said, I highly recommend this resort and i know that will return for another enjoyable vacation!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I wasn't really sure what to expect because I had heard mixed reviews...My boyfriend and I had a really great time staying at this hotel and were extremely pleased with everything.

Location is perfect! The trolley that the hotel provides really works out great. They come every 2-5 minutes and it's a 2 minute ride to the beach and 2 minute ride to some of the restaurants. Local bus line is easily accessible and safe! Taxi's do get $$.

Hotel is well kept and clean. We had no issues with our room. Some say it's a little out-dated but I think that's just the style of the hotel -fancy and classic. It's not trendy by any means but is very lovely and full of amenities which seemed like some of the other resorts did not have.

Has a decent selection of restaurants and while they are very pricey, they're very good. High prices are expected at most resorts anyway.... I'd recommend the Water Lot. It's a total splurge but really worth it. Ocean club was pretty good, however does need some updating inside. Right on the water though.. Would also recommend their night club - The Cellar:)

Room Tip: Ocean view!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lindsay M
Carlita L, Internet Marketing Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and did not let a few negative comments dissuade you of your visit. I am particularly pleased to hear that you did not find them to be true when you were staying with us. We agree with the Waterlot recommendation- it is really an incredible, decadent experience with delicious food! Thank you again for posting on TripAdvisor, we hope to welcome you back to stay with us again soon!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

I had the pleasure of spending two weeks in Bermuda for the last two weeks of August and this was one of the highlights of our trip. We stay over Labour Day and were not dissapointed.

We got the room at a discount prior to arriving on the island and that's what made this hotel affordable. I would suggest you take a package including breakfast or else you will be paying $17.95 for a contiental breakfast. It was good but I am glad it was included.

Everywhere automatically charges you 17% gratuities and this resort is no different. The restaurants we tried were good. The beach restaurant/bar has happy hour between 4-6pm and offer 2-4-1 drinks and snacks (on some items)

The private beach was nice and we had no problem getting a chair mid-afternoon. Although I would recommend heading down to Warwick Long Beach or Elbow Beach or even the crowded Horsehoe Bay which is an easy commute using the bus system. We bought a bus pass because we were there for two weeks although we still used some taxis.

We stayed on the sound side and were very happy we did. I would stay on one of the upper floors, just ask the front desk and they will try to accomodate you.

Yes, it's $40 USD from the airport each way plus tip.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper room floor for a better view Sound side has the sunsets and better view Look for...
1  Thank BangForBuck
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Went to a amazing wedding there and discovered the hotel is kid friendly as well! We will be back for sure! The beaches are incredible, horseshoe bay is fabulous for kids because the water is so calm and shallow. The Dock has live music and awesome food! Would definitively go see the Sea turtles at the aquarium, they are enormous!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jill B

Thanks for taking the time to write a review- we are so glad that you enjoyed yourselves when you visited for a wedding. We look forward to hosting you and your family again soon, we have lots of fun kids programs at our Explorer's Camp.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We paid top dollar for this hotel (over $575) and by the time they added on the Bermuda tax ($51.96), $22.00 a day resort levy, $22.40 a day in room gratuities and 17.5% gratuity to everything we ordered (even the hotel buffet breakfast) - we paid a phenomenal price for an extremely disappointing experience. The hotel is very isolated so unless you want to pay an exorbitant price for a taxi to dine somewhere else, you will be eating at the hotel (that said the meals were actually quite good). The front desk staff were rude - not a friendly reception at all. The hotel ferry goes to Hamilton, unfortunately it is at very inconvenient hours (9 am, 11:30, 4 and 6) - not very accommodating during their busy season. I read the reviews before we went about the hotel being crowded during conventions, and we did indeed experience that. We had the highest category of rooms with an ocean view. The room was directly over the very noisy (and small) pool with a view of the ocean in the distance. Not worth the price. I would think a harbor view would be much better; you still see the same water and can also see the sunsets. I didn't see one of these rooms, but at half the price of the ocean view and without the pool noise, it had to be better. The rooms are extremely outdated and in need of major renovation (which they claim they are about to undertake). We had a couple of highlights of the trip - 1) the afternoon that we took the ferry to Hamilton and spent a leisurely afternoon at the Fairmont pool in Hamilton and 2) the afternoon we took the hotel shuttle to the beach. The beach was phenomenal. Gorgeous water, soft sand and packed with people - but worth the trip. For what we paid, I expected a much more luxurious vacation. I have written the hotel and been offered complimentary accommodations to come back again - but I don't think I will ever set foot back in Bermuda again. A few years ago the island built two more docks to house the gigantic cruise ships, so the island can have an additional 15,000 people or more using the already over-crowded transportation system of busses and ferries. That was another disappointment. Coming from the west coast I have never been to another Caribbean island, but from what I experienced, nothing can compare to our Hawaii.

6  Thank KCBay
Carlita L, Internet Marketing Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experiences here on TripAdvisor. Your comments were noted by our Management after you sent your initial letter, but I would like to publicly also express regrets that you did not enjoy your stay. Bermuda is a beautiful country full of friendly people, and we are committed to high-quality service. We hope that you will return, so we can show you another side of The Fairmont Southampton and of Bermuda.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Southampton Parish
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish
Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Hamilton Parish

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!