“Great Romantic Getaway!”

Fairmont Southampton
Caldwell, New Jersey
“Great Romantic Getaway!”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Nothing short of spectacular.

I have been coming to Bermuda for many years for both business and pleasure and have stayed at most of the luxury hotels on the island. I can say that my favorite by far is the Fairmont Southampton. With Bermuda being only a one-hour forty minute flight from New York- it’s my favorite spot for a long weekend getaway.

Check-In:
My arrival at the hotel was smooth sailing. Although I came in at the same time as the flights from Atlanta and Newark (I flew out of JFK) the hotel was ready for us. There were 5 people at the reception desk, they had a welcome packet with my key all ready for me and my wait was no more than 5 minutes. When I pulled up to the hotel in the taxi from the airport, a bellman promptly took my bags and they were waiting for me in my room when we got upstairs.

Beach:
The Fairmont Southampton is on the south shore of Bermuda- next to Horseshoe Bay and is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to. The water is crystal clear and warm. The staff on the beach is courteous and attentive. They gave us lots of extra towels and the dining at the beach terrific- burgers, salads, drinks etc. (the two-for-one drink specials until 6PM were also a terrific surprise- especially considering the 17% tax on everything) Once we were at the beach for the afternoon we didn’t have to leave for anything. In addition, one night we went to the second beachfront dining facility- the Ocean Club- and watched the sunset while eating amazing seafood on the terrace- what a picture perfect experience and the food at the Ocean Club was to die for. The Fairmont beach is also great because its private. Horseshoe Bay is right next store and definitely worth walking over to, but depending on when you go- you may find yourself with 500 cruise ship passengers and a lot of locals. The private experience of the beach at the Fairmont is definitely much more desirable. .

Rooms-
The rooms were very clean and after housekeeping left it looked like I had just checked in. My room was cleaned 2x’s/day and every room at the hotel has a balcony which is a big plus.

Activities- the highlight of my most recent trip to the Fairmont Southampton was my Jet Ski tour. We went out in a small group, some people were more experienced than others- but our instructors were great and made sure everyone could keep up. They were very knowledgeable about the island, the history, the wildlife… it was the best learning experience I had and it was an incredible way to see the island from a different perspective.

Food: The Waterlot Inn is an absolute MUST. The steakhouse has won all sorts of awards and the service and food were 5-star. We got there early and had drinks on the patio by the dock. My husband really enjoyed Bacci (they say you can’t get “real Italian” outside of the Northeast- but that’s not the case here, it’s as good as anything we have had in New York.) We also enjoyed going to Wickets in the morning for breakfast. While the buffet was nice, the full service, poolside experience was a little more low key and more our speed at Wickets.

Spa- I received an amazing couples massage with my husband at the WIllowstream Spa. After our treatment, we spent the rest of the day using the spa facilities- yes you can spend a day doing that! The indoor pool, sauna, steam room, Jacuzzis etc. The spa even had it’s own menu and we ate on the sundeck after our treatments. The spa is the ultimate in peace and serenity (what’s also nice is that there are no kids here!). We had a great romantic day at the spa on the one day that we were there that was overcast. I wish I had come to the spa on my previous trips- it’s a gem hidden at the back of the hotel (unfortunately I was too caught up on the pink sand beach!)

Overall- the experience at the Fairmont Southampton is nothing short of five star. While there isn’t a lot to do at night in Bermuda- for what we were there for, sun, activities, great food, great spa… this is the spot and it’s so close to the east coast- it takes me less time to get to Bermuda than it does to get to the Hamptons from New York City! I would recommend this as a great spot for couples and for families with children (although I don’t have any, the ones that I did see there were all having a ball). The staff was very attentive, remembered my name after the second day, and bent over backwards to get whatever I needed.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the hallway tend to have a larger balcony
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,016)
  • Polish first
Wall Township, New Jersey
Reviewed July 24, 2012

I just returned from The Fairmont Southampton where my wife and I had a great time! She enjoyed some relaxing time at the Spa and I hit the links. Everyone was so nice. We had tremendous food at several of the restaurants on the property, particularly the Waterlot. The beaches are out of this world! We spent some great alone time, but I am looking forward to going back with our children.

1 Thank Andrew O
Essex Fells, New Jersey
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Got to tell you, had a short trip there last week and was so happy with the experience. Was on the island for business but had a chance to get down to the beautiful Fairmont Southampton beach and enjoy a few cocktails, right after taking a jog in the gym and enjoying the Sauna at the Spa. The views from the room were surreal as well, and I highly recommend the 28 line of rooms as they have wrap around balconies overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. The new Newport Gastro Pub in the hotel has an awesome new menu which is very unique. As I was leaving the hotel, the kindness of the greeters at the taxi stand was just an exclamation point on a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: 28 Line of Rooms!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Beachatty
Philly Suburbs
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Myself and my partner just returned from Bermuda. We choose to stay at the Fairmont Southampton over Elbow Beach mainly because of the positive comments on this site. The hotel is beautiful with well maintained rooms and manicured grounds. The staff at the hotel are very accomadating and go out of the way to make your stay a pleasent one. The restaurants were allexcellent and the beach was beautiful but very busy. It is peak season so that is to be expected. We did never wait for a beach chair so that was a plus.

Room Tip: The ocean view room had a view of the ocean but the view from the other side was just as lovely and...
Toronto
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I LOVED my stay at the Fairmont Southampton!! It was my first solo trip, and I was celebrating my 30th birthday and I could truly have not asked for more. I had a beautiful ocean view room, and every morning I enjoyed breakfast on my patio.

The Willow Stream Spa was stunning and after 6pm, all hotel guests are allowed to use the pool and hot tubs. I spent the night before and after my birthday in the hot tub; under the stars while staring at the ocean... do you see now why I call this place paradise? The spa was open until midnight so it was a great way to unwind and relax at night.

The food was delicious at all the outlets, and as a vegetarian, I had a great selection. I went to the Waterlot for brunch on my birthday and I LOVED it, they even brought me a cake and sang happy birthday. The brunch was kinda pricey but I promise worth every penny.

The staff at the hotel was very sweet and kind, especially Nick the doorman who went above and beyond for this first time solo traveler, ensuring I was having a great time every moment he saw me.

The beach was stunning, and really close to the hotel, just a quick trolley ride down. Horseshoe Bay is right next door to our private beach and I climbed the giant rock to get some amazing pictures.

The ferry ride into Hamilton was fun as well but I wished there were more rides in a day. I took the ferry in and public transit back, which was really safe, clean and easy to ride, I was not concerned one bit while taking the transit.

I did also go to the Cellar, the club on site, and it was super fun! Great music and great people and just steps from your room, perfect I'd say :)

Overall, this hotel is great for everyone from families, coulpes, solo travelers, girls trips, etc. they have it all.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on a higher floor to get the best views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank blinged_out
Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

We have stayed at both of Fairmont's properties in Bermuda. This was our third trip to the Southampton and we will not be going back. The rooms are perfectly fine; however, the noise between the rooms is unacceptable. We constantly heard slamming doors and a man snooring next door. Overall, the place does seem to cater to conventions these days and many of these people acted like they were on spring break. Ultimately we go for the beach and the beach was just poorly maintained
The trash was out of control and the staff did a poor job cleaning it up. We were there for 9 days and the beach was only combed once. The sea weed was ridiculous. Fairmont obviously can't control the flow of sea weed but it should have cleaned it up once it was on shore. It covered the sand in many places. Plus it smelled and attracted bugs as it dried up.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank WayneRichmond
Carlita L, Internet Marketing Manager at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Thank you, Wayne, for your candid feedback. We are disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your latest visit. We are aware that there are sometimes noise issues, and are currently investigating the most effective solution to the problem. We have also heard the comments from guests like yourself, and have increased the staffing on the beach and the frequency with which the seaweed is raked. We hope that you will give us another chance on your next visit to Bermuda. Thank you again for your comments.
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Honestly, I want to write a nice review of this hotel, but I cannot. I've stayed at both ends of the hotel spectrum in my career, and if I had to place this somewhere on the hotel scale, it is equivalent to a Hilton Garden Inn or Holiday Inn Express at best. The rooms are outdated, and smell a little musty, and while the staff is not rude, they certainly are not helpful, no matter where you go, nor are they particularly pleasant. (Concierge, cleaning staff, waitstaff in restaurants, all the same.)

I stayed on the 6th "gold" floor, and cannot say that is worth it either. I do not mind the additional cost of the room, but the special check-in was a joke, the cleanliness of the room is suspect, and the "extras" amount to a lot of snack food - which isn't all that enticing for most people, except for the children on this floor of which there are MANY. (While I like children, I do not want to hear them all night running up and down the hall, nor their commetary as they touch all the silverware laid out for guests to use to prepare a cup of coffee. I skipped the coffee thereafter.)

All in all, in comparison to the Fairmont in New York or San Francisco, this is very disappointing. It would be unlikely that I'd stay here again unless it was my last alternative to being roomless. The only positive that I'll give this hotel: the views are quite nice from the 6th floor rooms.

3 Thank R N
Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We apologise that you experienced a service anomaly during your visit- we take pride in our outstanding service, and actively strive to provide pleasant and friendly interactions with our guests. While we are sorry that the families on Fairmont Gold detracted from your experience, it is our policy that families are allowed in all areas of the hotel. When we do notice children misbehaving in public areas, we do try to politely address the issue with the parents. We apologise for any inconvenience this caused you and hope that you will give us another chance to show you exceptional service.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southampton Parish
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
Hamilton Princess & Beach Club, a Fairmont Managed Hotel

Been to Fairmont Southampton? Share your experiences!