“This place makes you feel like royalty”

Fairmont Southampton
Nashville, Tennessee
“This place makes you feel like royalty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2011

The staff here, goes out of their way to make sure that you are well taken care of. They also remember any food allergies you have and are careful to make sure your food is safe for you to eat. All of the staff is warm and friendly and I am looking forward to going back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank McCollonough
gregbodenlos10, Manager, Internet Marketing at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, May 12, 2011
Many thanks for sharing your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We’ve shared your review with our entire culinary team, who always enjoys hearing guest feedback like this. We look forward to hosting you again in Bermuda soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (972)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

I have travelled extensively around Asia and Europe and I found this hotel just average. The beach is stunning and we spent most our time there. the shuttle bus comes frequently so it wasn't a problem the hotel wasn't on the beach. The hotel rooms are so out dated, the decor the colours are from the 80s so it wouldn't appeal to someone who is accustomed to the Asian boutique hotels. The lobby and the other public places decorated like a fake English mansion. The food is nothing special and we tried most of the restaurants. The charges for the food were very high for uk standards. For me what lacked most in this hotel is poor quality of the service. Especially in the reception and the concierge area I haven't received any good service for the 7 night stay I had, they were in the verge of being rude. I felt like it was a holiday factory rather than a good hotel. The service in the restaurants and the beach is better. Especially Dennis always made us welcome. I think overall I would have been much happier sleeping on the beach with that fantastic view. I would go to Bermuda again, but not to this hotel. I prefer a more personal quality service.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank persson28
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2011

I can see why a lot of guests give this 4 or 5 stars. Yes it's a beautiful location and the beach is stunning, but for me I thought that some things were lacking and could use improvement. So since the good stuff is well covered, here are some of our other observations:

1) Hotel is not actually on the beach but a 5-10min walk or alternatively a 3-5min shuttle ride. I had not realised this when I booked and although not a huge inconvenience if you want to go back to your room to grab something it would take a 20-30min round trip
2) Hotel grounds are huge but very few signposts giving directions. This is something that could be easily remedied
3) If you want to walk within the grounds there are almost no paths!!! It was unbelievable, 5 star property and you have to walk on the roads. Crazy...and unsafe
4) Had booked a shared shuttle transfer upon arrival via the concierge (they replied confirming) but at the airport the company (CEO transport) had no record of this, apparently the hotel never notified them. They agreed to take us anyway as they were going in that direction but this should not have happened. When I informed the concierge desk upon arrival they basically shrugged their shoulders and said "sorry". That was it...
5) Tried all the restaurants once except the steak place. Apart from the buffet breakfast which was very good we found all the restaurants very mediocre. Food was bland and tasteless. Also grossly overpriced, e.g. $30 for a hot dog and a salad!! Count on spending at least $100-125 per person per day on food if you eat all 3 meals at the hotel.
6) Mostly the staff were pleasant but a couple of them at the concierge desk were abrupt, borderlining being rude
7) Not a big fan of the "gratuity levy", "resort fees" etc etc that they add on to the room charge. It total these were over $60 a day extra. I had noticed it when booking so was prepared but when checking out the guy in front of us in the queue was complaining about them which was fair enough. These should be included in the headline rate quoted when one books. As far as I am concerned it's basically an attempt by the hotel to make the room charge appear cheaper than it is. This practice should be made illegal really

Overall a nice hotel but most of the above can be easily remedied to make it a much better experience

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gordongecko
gregbodenlos10, Manager, Internet Marketing at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, April 29, 2011
Thank you for sharing your candid feedback regarding your recent stay in Bermuda, and we sincerely apologize for the unfortunate discomforts you experienced during your stay. Nevertheless, honest feedback like yours is incredibly valuable to us, as we continue to enhance both our guest services and facilities. We have shared your feedback with our entire operations team, and we do hope that you will give us another try in the future.
Moncton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

I stayed at the hotel from April 18 to 23 and it was a great time. The staff were very friendly and outgoing, I never minded the fact that I was travelling alone as I always had someone to chat with. The morning gang at the Windows were as much morning persons as I am and they always greeted me with a smile and a laugh. My first morning home I missed them at breakfast.

The view from my room was amazing and the bed was extra comfy. The concierge staff was extra helpful and had wonderful suggestions for activities. Being at the Southampton for the Easter Holiday was extra special as they have lots of activities for their guests. My only regret is that I came home too early, next time I go I will stay for the entire Easter weekend.:)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Char012
Thank you so much for sharing your Easter experience with us at The Fairmont Southampton. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that our Concierge and Windows on the Sound colleagues made you feel very much at home. We look forward to hosting you back again next year for the Easter season, if not sooner! Thank you again for sharing.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2011

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. I am now 40 and I spent numerous Thanksgivings there with my family as a kid. We went for about 6 consecutive years until my father died (at that time I was 14yo) When we decided to return to Bermuda as a family several years later we ended up staying at the Sonesta, thinking it might be better to move on in a new place to make new memories without Dad.

Last year we returned, it was my mother, sister and her 2 children, 8 and 9yo, and myself. We arrived at our room before check in time after being upgraded to a harbor side room. There were pails and shovels in the room to both of my nieces delight. We immediately put our bathing suits on and headed to trolley stop to take us to the beach hotel. The beach is great and is adjacent to hors hoe bay which we frequented as well.
We enjoyed every minute of our stay at the SH Fairmont. It offered numerous activities for the kids and it was nice to go back and see that although the hotel had been upgraded since it was the SH Princess it kept it's charm and overall appeal. Although, I did miss a few of the old English shops that used to be there. We had pizza at jasmine's, which was very good and ate it up outside the spa, with a bottle of wine purchased earlier that day, overlooking the ocean. What a picturesque and quiet spot atop the hill. We wanted to same some money and therefore found a grocery store and package store very close to the hotel, one or two stops away. This is where we stocked up our room fridge for breakfast and lunches. Lastly, the hotel location i think is in a perfect location. The bus transportation is wonderful, we got a 3 day pass for bus and ferry and it takes you basically anywhere and everywhere. The hotel also, has it's own ferry, which was another highlight that takes you to/from Hamilton. I can go on and on about this hotel. In fact we have already booked another trip for July 2011. I hope this one will be even more memorable, although it'll be hard to top last years trip!

• Stayed July 2010
gregbodenlos10, Manager, Internet Marketing at Fairmont Southampton, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
Thank you so much for sharing your very personal experience with us on TripAdvisor. We truly appreciate receiving detailed feedback from our guests, and we are thrilled that you had such an enjoyable return stay with us. We look forward to hosting you again this July!
boston, ma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2011

My husband and I just returned from a 4-night stay at the Southampton Princess. It was our first stay and will not be our last. When we arrived we were told our harborview room was not available (it was 3 hours before check-in time) so we decided to upgrade to a first floor oceanfront room which was available.
When we entered the room we found it very modern, clean and spacious. The view was spectacular, although it was somewhat compromised by the roof of the entrance just below. This location was also somewhat problematic as it was noisy due to people coming and going, trolleys, car, etc. I would recommend booking an oceanfront room on a higher level.
The hotel is a sole property located atop a hill. The beach is about one mile down the hill and is accessible by trolleys that are constantly running. The beach is located right next to the famous "Horshoe Bay" beach and is equally impressive. There are plenty of lounge chairs and towels available, however, umbrellas are more scarce. There is a full service restaurant on the beach as well as a seafood restaurant open for dinner only. The trolleys also travel down to the Waterlot Inn restaurant and it's ferry dock where guests can get a free trip to Hamilton.
We ate at the seafood restaurant the first night. The seafood was delicious, although my fish did not come with any accompanyments at all. Just a piece of delicious halibut. The second night we ate at the more casual "Jasmine". We split an appetizer and both ordered a salad with one glass of wine. The food was well-prepared and fresh, but it cost almost 80 dollars... The third night we took the ferry to Hamilton and had dinner there. Beware the ferry stops running at 7 so plan to take the bus or cab home if you decide to do this. The last night we ate at the Waterlot Inn. The service and food were superb. Well worth the high price.
I can't say enough good things about this hotel. However, there are some things that will be useful to know when planning your trip. Make sure you join the President's Club before you go! It saved us $15 each per day to use the gym! Also, WiFi (only available in the lobby) was free also. Be sure to bring some snacks/drinks along. There are stores nearby the hotel, but the prices in Bermuda are astoundingly high. Needless to say buying snacks at the hotel is also costly.
Finally, the concierge emailed me prior to my stay to arrange transportation to the hotel. This was a nice gesture, however, I was told a cab would cost me 60 dollars and to use their van service. Not knowing any better, I book the van service which cost me 30 dollars. At the end of my stay I forgot to book the service again for the trip back to the airport and ended up in a cab. The cab only cost 30 dollars, too! And it was much more comfortable.

Room Tip: Book rooms on high floors.