“Lived up to its reputation” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Waterlot Inn Restaurant

Waterlot Inn Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Defining Bermuda's steakhouse experience for nearly 350 years, the historic Waterlot Inn remains Bermuda's best. Gracefully nestled dockside on Jew's Bay, the Waterlot Inn offers breathtaking sunsets and proudly boasts both AAA Four Diamond and Wine Spectator Awards. Serving the finest steaks and chops, this classic dining room has introduced a newly updated and inspired menu that spans time-honored signature specialties and incorporates bold new flavors. Fresh ingredients, unique preparation and award-winning service surrounded by warm furnishings are the hallmarks of The Waterlot Inn.
Toronto, Ontario
“Lived up to its reputation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

We had reservations in advance due to many referrals. Late in the afternoon we decided to opt for a more casual evening and dinner, so we cancelled. As our relaxed last evening in Bermuda progressed, we once again changed our minds! - and checked again to see if we could be accommodated at Waterlot for an 8:30 pm time. To our pleasant surprise, were were welcomed.
Had a wonderful pre-dinner cocktail as we waited to be seated. While the restaurant is formal , we found the waiters easily warmed up and were enthusiastic about giving us good service and helping us with our selections. I am a self professed steak snotb, and found our steak filet mignons were cooked to perfection and so tasty . You HAVE to have the shared side dish: Macaroni and cheese. - Not your ordinary mac and cheese and completely worth every calorie! Even worth skipping dessert for!
As far as desserts go, we should have gone with our waiter's suggestion and had the sticky toffee. We went with the cheesecake, that was just average. They happily provided a complimentary scoop of ice cream upon my husband's request - so not all was lost on dessert!
We enjoyed meeting Eduardo who came around to see how we were enjoying ourselves. We learned that he is formerly from Cuba and Montreal and he was very gracious and charming!
Great evening. So glad we followed through. Highly recommend for a special and memorable meal and evening.

1 Thank SusanRiva

London, United Kingdom
“This is the place that makes life worth living”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is what living life to its fullest is all about... cigars, steak and a beautiful sunset! Fabulous setting and even more fabulous food. It may be a tad pricey but only the budget conscious are going to make a fuss over that. When you're like me, always on the lookout for that perfect steak and gorgeous setting... look no further! We had the fillet mignon, sides were well done and cocktails were lip-smacking thirst quenchers! ALl this in a gorgeous manor house, it's an elegant setting and impressive prompt service. one day, we'll definitely return.
For anyone who hasn't tried it out, this is an experience not to be missed... I'd recommend the seared scallops, the meltingly tender duck and of course, make more than enough romm for a juicy tasty chunk of aged steak!! Grrr!

1 Thank MageofMark
Harvey Cedars, New Jersey
“Waterless at Waterlot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We were 2 couples enjoying a short vacation that included the Grand Slam of Golf in Bermuda. We decided to dine at one of our hotel’s (The Fairmont at Southampton) restaurants, The Waterlot. There was an initial glitch. According to the Waterlot's hostess the hotel Concierge did not make the requested 7:30pm reservation. However, after about a 45 minute wait – enough time to have a very leisurely cocktail – an available table was found. All of us thought the service was more than leisurely – it was slow. So slow you’re thinking the catch of the day is being caught as you wait. Dining is ala carte. The menu lists a good number of sides, including vegetables, potatoes, mushrooms – a good assortment, from which we ordered a couple. My wife, however did not order any and her filet was presented orphaned in the middle of the plate looking mighty lonely. Now, presentation is not the end-all, be-all, but come on, when you pay $40 and up for an entree some presentation beyond drop-it-on-the-plate is expected. Next glitch, I was served a 12 oz filet of beef, which looked lovely except I had ordered the 12 oz rib eye steak. The waiter apologized, but only after he reviewed his notes – apparently my word for the error was not sufficient – and said he would have my steak in 2 mins. Not understanding how this could be accomplished, I told him I would eat the filet - but he insisted. And, lo and behold, about 2 mins later I had my steak in front of me. My only guess is that another diner either received his filet earlier than expected or his rib eye later than planned. The food was for the most part very good. Only one diner thought his steak, a filet, was not up to par (as mentioned, we were at a golf event) for prime beef. By the way, the sides that I tasted, the asparagus and sauteed mushrooms, were excellent. The wine list was Ok – there were many reds to choose from, but not as many whites. The prices seemed to be inflated beyond 200% of retail. My opinion - 2Xs retail is fair. We had coffee and skipped dessert. With tip, the bill for 2 starters, 4 entrees and 2 sides plus a single bottle of wine (I think it was the Primaterra Primativo) and 3 coffees, was approximately $440.00. None of the better restaurants (or better anything) in Bermuda is inexpensive, but at least you get what you pay for. Not, in my opinion, at the Waterlot. For me ‘getting what you pay for’, ultimately means value. And, value when you’re dining out includes ambiance, service and presentation. No question, the ambiance of the Waterlot is exceptional – best described as ‘old world’ and historic. The service and presentation of our dinners, however, was lacking. Overall, I’d rate the Waterlot as having good food but mediocre overall value. Of note, both the 2nd and 3rd place golfers from the Grand Slam were at nearby tables – so, although for me the dinners were not notable, our fellow diners were. To be fair, this was the first time my wife and I had dined here, and one time does not equal a definitive review. Bermuda is a great place to vacation, so I hope I'll be able update this review in the future.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Sandman_HCNJ
Stoneham, Massachusetts
“Best Steak House in the World”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

I look forward every visit to a great steak, attentive service, and surroundings that make you feel like a King. One of my favorites in all the world. I can't wait to go again

Visited September 2013
Marblehead, Massachusetts
“Frosting on the Anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

My wife and I returned to our favorite restaurant in Bermuda for our anniversary. We casually mentioned it occasion to our server who immediately offered us a complimentary flute of champagne and, even without that bribe, we would both say his attention to us was professional, punctual, courteous and impeccable. The four courses were excellent including the dessert which was accompanied by a chocolate doo dad which had Happy Anniversary on it. At the conclusion of our meal we asked to a taxi to take us back to our hotel and, because the taxi was tardy, they gave us complimentary after dinner drink. The food, the staff and the setting can not be beat.