“Quiet gardens outside of Hamilton”

Bermuda Botanical Gardens
More attraction details
Owner description: Thirty-six acres of beautifully landscaped flowers, trees, paths, and ponds.
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I can't speak to the upkeep of the gardens, this is was our first visit there, but I can say that it's several acres of beautiful plantings and flowers with a couple of small indoor greenhouse type rooms. It's not huge like the New York Botanical Garden or Longwood in Pennsylvania, but it's a great way to check out Bermuda's wonderful flowers, plants, and very cool trees! It's right next to Masterworks museum, a small collection of art. The bus stops right in front of the place (let the driver know you want to get off at the botanical gardens since the driveway and sign are easy to miss). Great place to photograph flowers but not an all-day location. There's a cafe in the Masterworks museum for sandwiches....light menu but nice. Admission to gardens is free. If you show receipt for something you purchased at cafe when entering museum, then admission is $2 instead of $5 for museum (museum has rather small collection and $5 seems a but much anyway).

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We love the Bermuda Botanical Gardens and have visited on several occasions. However, there seems to have been a decline in the quality of the maintenance and the signage. Previously, the species of plants were well-labeled, but today we saw approximately one-third with signs. The grass was overgrown as were several floral displays. Weeds and spider webs flourished. What was once a cute cafe and gift shop was now a fairly empty room.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have to say that my visit this year, August 2013, I was very disappointed in the shape of the Botanical gardens in Paget. I grew up here as a child in the 1960's, and even then I knew that they gardens were a place of great pride for the Bermudians because it was always immaculate; mowed on a regular basis, many people at all times were always strolling through, resting, reading, and exploring. My visit yesterday was one of dismay because first of all, it was practically deserted, and on a bright, clear summer day. Many of the lots of grass around the gardens were un-mowed, giving it an un-kept look. Many areas of tree debris had not been swept, and had begun to pile. Some flower beds were minimal in their display as if they had not been watered in many days.
As a young child, and with my grandparents living right around the corner, it was always a special location that we went to, to take in the fragrances and vivid colors of the beds of flowers, and to marvel at the beautiful trees, fauna, and landscaped paths. And every visit since leaving the island, I make a point to visit the gardens because they would always make me feel and remember the Bermuda that I once knew.
But yesterday, my disappointment wandered to why? Is it possible that the hospital addition is deterring people and tourists from visiting the gardens? Have dollars been lost that maintained the gardens? For me, allowing the upkeep of this island treasure to dwindle is as bad as telling a child that they will no longer have art in school. And what this says is that these important pieces of our heritage, or our learning, is not so important anymore, and more emphasis is being put on other things. Or something else becomes more trendy, only to fall by the wayside after several years.
Bermuda's Botanical Gardens and its people deserve better as this place represents what the island truly is all about; beauty, nature, and serenity. Maybe I was there on a bad day, but the fact that there was hardly a soul there on a summer day beside myself, really speaks to the true problem I believe. It simply felt abandoned.

Mrs. Lisa (Gauntlett) Frackleton
Hamilton, Massachusetts USA
thefracks@hotmail.com

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We found a map and circled the different gardens we wanted to see and made a loop around to hit everything we wanted. The trails were well kept and everything was a lot closer than it looked on the map. I was a bit disappointed in the Blue Garden since there was nothing blue there... maybe just the wrong time of year? I also thought the aviary would be an open space where you walked with the birds free flying in the enclosure, but it ended up being a few cages (most of which were under construction) from which you could only stand a few feet at the closest. It would probably be advisable to go here on a day where it isn't so hot so you aren't sweating profusely while you walk around. The cafe and good sandwiches and AC for a nice respite from the heat.

3  Thank DHalps
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I thought it was very pretty on the bus rides by it but we didn't go on to the grounds. I was there 33 years ago and loved it.