“Met all of our expectations”

Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Paget Parish
Staten Island, NY
“Met all of our expectations”
Reviewed August 9, 2007

Our vacation was great, due in part to the location of Coco Reef. It is situated right on the beach and the pool is amazing. The views are breathtaking!!! The staff, especially Dana was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. The buffet breakfast had a lot of variety and was tasty. The only complaint I have is that the dinner menu should have more variety. Its OK though we only ate their one night. (For dinner, I recommend Portofino in Hamilton).

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank sweetie26

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Toronto
Reviewed August 3, 2007

My mom and I recently traveled to BDA to scout wedding locations for my big day next summer. I found a great deal on Expedia, so Coco Reef it was. I had been on the CR website, but as anyone who's been on it will know, there's not much to go on (few to no pictures, etc.). Despite the dodgy online experience, I had a good feeling about CR.

When we pulled into the hotel's driveway, we discovered that though it's close to the Modern Mart grocery store, it's situated pretty far back from the main road behind the Bermuda College.

As our taxi driver slowed to a halt in front of the main entrance, we were pleasantly surprised. Absolutely stunning! Phew. We paid our $45 USD fare (yes, from the airport) and made our way through the french doors into the lobby. Another pleasant surprise! Soon after our arrival I learned that the hotel had recently undergone a considerably costly renovation (apparently it used to be known as the Stonington Hotel - which is evident from the hotel stationery and the in-room signage).

Our check in went smoothly (very friendly staff) and we were handed a printout of - what seemed like - a circa 1995 listing of hotel offerings and meal times. The printout was addressed to "Mr. and Mrs. Spencer" (see first line of review). Cute.

From reception the bell boy kindly took us to our room, a cozy little space with no shortage of wicker furniture and - what seemed like - circa 1984 matching mint green, yellow and pink floral quilt, pillow cases, curtains, cushions and the like. Strangely, all the 'matchy matchy-ness' of it made it forgivable.

There is only one restaurant at this hotel, which doubles as the venue for the breakfast buffet. Food, morning or night, is excellent. We LOVED rolling out of bed to a breakfast buffet every morning. The menu at night is pricey, but well worth it (entrees start around $30 USD, appetizers around $14 USD).
Of course, Elbow Beach boasts 4 (or 5?) restaurants, and is quite literally a hop, skip and a jump away.

The beach? There's a man made beach that's about 10 feet above sea level - really nicely done. A few steps down, there's a really private beach, but, they don't call it Coco 'Reef' for nothing. Let's just say the CR beach is not for the faint of heart. But Elbow Beach is and it's right next door! In fact, CR shares a portion of EB, and CR guests can roam free on EB's perfectly sandy shore.

So far so good, right? Well, there were a couple hiccups:

First, our room was a bit dingy. Again, seemingly circa 1984. The water faucets were a little rusty and the furniture seemed quite dated. Also, after one stormy night we awoke to a room full of puddles. Pretty dangerous with a power bar sitting just a few feet away from where my mom stepped out of bed. Plus, some of my mom's things were ruined by the excess water. But the most disheartening part of it all? The hotel manager just shrugged it off and didn't offer us ANYTHING. Barely even an apology.

Second, of course, I was on a mission to find the perfect spot for my wedding and, since I was already at the CR, I made an appointment to meet with the hotel's wedding planner (who happend to be our airport taxi driver's sister). When my mom and I presented ourselves at the agreed upon time, we were told the wedding planner was in a staff meeting. Forget that, we thought. Of all of the hotels we visited during our stay, our was the only one to mess up! I guess she tried to make up for it by tracking us down before we left for the airport. She did apologize by handing me a *used* manilla envelope filled with planning information. Fatal error number two.

All in all?

Although Coco Reef will not make the wedding location shortlist,
it is a cheaper hotel next to one of BDA's best beaches.

Don't come for the tennis courts (disrepair), the room decor (see above) or the spa (there isn't one), but do come for the food, the simplicity (small and friendly), the location (geographical).

My mom and I both agreed that we'd return to Coco Reef again in the future (just not for my wedding).

Cheers!

Stayed July 2007
6 Thank Better2BSure
Springfield, Virginia
Reviewed August 1, 2007

I returned from the Coco Reef on July 27 after staying there for one week. I hated to leave this wonderful resort and gorgeous island. The staff was superb (Dana, Unray, Dora, Gina, Claudia, and Michael were the best) and very friendly! The rooms were very clean and nicely furnished. The breakfast buffet was to die for....so much variety to choose from. We had the dinner plan for 4 of the evenings we were there. The food was delicious and there were several choices to choose from. I loved the hotel & definitely want to go back soon.

• Liked — the wonderful staff
  • Disliked — nothing loved it all
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank z1teddybear
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2007

We were a little nervous about what to expect at Coco Reef on the basis of a rather (misleading) negative review placed here just a couple of weeks before we left the UK.

We needn't have worried. The Coco Reef is absolutely fine. It's not as smart as the 5 star hotels on Barbados or Dubai. But I understand that criticism applies to all of Bermuda's hotels.

The staff were fine, the bedrooms very comfortable and the location is probably the best on the island...10 minutes taxi ride into Hamilton, located on a beautiful small beach right next to the wonderful Elbow Beach, and with regular (very cheap) buses leaving from the end of the hotel's drive.

Incidentally the breakfast every day was excellent!

A previous reviewer has mentioned cockroaches in bedrooms. I can confirm we twice had a cockroach in our room (over 5 days). But they were both easy to catch and put outside. Furthermore if you read reviews of other leading Bermuda hotels on here (like Cambridge Beaches) you will see they have the same problem. Presumably it's an island wide infestation.

The most disappointing aspect of the hotel is the Restaurant and Bar. Both badly need serious investment as they totally lack atmosphere. Fine for breakfast, no good for dinner. Having said that the Elbow Beach hotel right next door has recentlyopened 2 lovely beachside restaurants and bars...approx 5 minutes walk from the Coco Reef. Both restaurants/bars are excellent, if rather expensive. And both are well used by Coco Reef guests! The hotel owner must be aware he needs to improve the restaurant /bar ambience if all his guests aren't to continue leaving the premises every evening!

Overall, we REALLY enjoyed our stay on Bermuda, and wish we could have stayed more than 5 nights. We will definitely return, and unless other island hotels dramatically improve, we will probably stay at the Coco Reef again.

• Liked — Its location, and the breakfast!
  • Disliked — The depressing Restaurant and Bar atmosphere...especially in the evenings.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed July 16, 2007

My husband & I got married at the Coco Reef Resort on June 13th and we had a fantastic time. Our wedding could not of been more picture perfect! If you are looking for a small more intimate hotel that is not overwhelmed with people this is the resort for you. We had taken a cruise to Bermuda, so we unfortunately only stayed at the hotel for one night. That was all I needed for me to know I want to go back for our one year anniversary. There is nothing fancy about the room, but we had a beautiful view of the ocean, it was very clean and had everything I would need. As for the day time, my bridesmaids and I enjoyed a fabulous lunch on the terrace and had the pool to ourselves….What a great view from the pool to the beautiful ocean water! When we were ready for the beach it was a very short walk and you were on the pink sand and swimming in the turquoise water. We did walk up to Elbow Beach it was beautiful, but definitely a lot more busy with people. All of the staff we interacted with were very polite and pleasant.

Okay, so if you are considering having a wedding in Bermuda, Coco Reef was just great! I used the wedding planner at Coco Reef (Tydee Douglas) and she was just great!! She was a pleasure to work with and made it easy for me to plan from a far. She really did everything to make our day extra special.….Thanks, Tydee :o) We had 29 people travel with us on the cruise and come to Coco Reef for our ceremony and they just thought the location could not of been any more amazing.

We have no complaints with Coco Reef and will definitely be planning a trip back.

• Stayed June 2007
6 Thank JackieG05
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed July 11, 2007

While in a lovely location with nice sunset views, as a business traveller, I was disappointed in my 4-day visit in April 2007.

Pros:
- Overall, the staff were exceedingly kind and responsive. From reception to wait staff, all were very helpful. For example, the key to my in-room safe was missing upon check in. Maintenance was there to replace the lock within 10 minutes of my report to the front desk.
- Nicely maintained beach and pool areas.

Cons:
- No internet connectivity in the rooms (albeit wireless in the hotel lobby); a must for the business traveller.
- Paper thin walls. To the "actively amorous" couple in the room directly under mine: If you can hear me, I can hear you!
- The sliding screen door to deck outside my room had a 12-inch tear that went unrepaired. Disappointing after the experience above. So much for leaving the slider open to enjoy the fresh air.
- Dining: While the restaurant touts that the menu changes daily, the Soup Du Jour was the only item changed during the duration of my stay.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank JFsB
Baltimore
Reviewed July 10, 2007

Just got back from a 4 night stay at Coco Reef with my husband and 2 children. We loved every minute of our stay at Coco Reef. Every single staff person we encountered was wonderful. The views from this property are stunning...you can see the turqoise water from the restaurant, the pool and your room. I've read some of the other reviews...and yes, the rooms aren't the fanciest around...and I don't think they claim to be...ours was fine...considering we just wind up bringing in sand and salt water to the room at the end of the day anyway. One of my favorite parts about this hotel is it never felt crowded...ever. I walked over to the property next door Elbow Beach-Mandarin Oriental which I believe is a bit pricier...and I didn't wish I was there...it was a very long walk from the beach to the hotel...I don't think you can see the ocean from the pool because of the trees and the beach was very crowded. We took the bus most of the time...and the bus stop is right at the end of the road...plus the market is right there to ...very convenient. Even the bus ride is enjoyable in Bermuda...it's so beautiful.

• Liked — peaceful
  • Disliked — more items on menu at restaurant...our kids love the beach...that's all they like to do... if your kids need more activities on-site might not work
Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
#2 of 2 in Hamilton Parish
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish

Been to Coco Reef Resort Bermuda? Share your experiences!