“Coco Reef- Quaint Beach Hotel”

Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Paget Parish
Long Island, New York
“Coco Reef- Quaint Beach Hotel”
Reviewed July 19, 2006

I just returned from a 5 day stay at the Coco Reef Hotel. It was a very quaint beach hotel. If you dont want a huge resort feeling place to stay than this is the place to go. The beach location cannot be beat. We had room #203 and had a beautiful view with the beach just steps away. I found everyone at the hotel extremely nice and accomodating. They were always there to help, they called us a taxi, made reservations for dinner at other resturants, answered all our questions.

The rooms were very dated but really how much time do you spend in there with the beach just outside? Apparently there was $10million renovation recently but not sure they touched the rooms with that. After seeing the prices of things in Bermuda I can see that $10million won't get you that far. The rooms could really use some updating but are not inhabitable.

The breakfast served its purpose in the morning and I had no complaints with it. We did not eat at the resturant in the hotel. The menu seemed a bit limited so we chose to go elsewhere. We went down to Elbow Beach Resort just a short walk down the beach for both lunch and dinner at Mickey's on beach. It was very good as well. We were glad that we did not stay there since we had originally tried but they were sold out. At Elbow Beach the hotel is all the way at the top while the beach is down below. It is a long walk and there is shuttle if you don't want to walk. Also the beach seemed very croweded.

At Coco Reef, our beach was much less croweded and had more of a secluded feel than Elbow Beach. There was always a chair and an umbrella. The water and sand were gorgeous. It was a bit rougher than I had expected and very difficult for me at least to try and snorkel around all the reefs in the water right off the beach but still beautiful. The pool was quiet all the times we went in and very relaxing. Afternoon tea was provided also at the hotel for free and it was a great treat to come for tea and cookies in the afternoon.

Bermuda is by far one of the most beautiful islands I have visited and the people are so friendly. Every taxi driver we had did something out of his or her way for us. Even picking a aloe plant off the road for my mom's sunburned foot! A good tip that one taxi driver told us was that you can share taxi's in Bermuda. I saw alot of people complain about the prices of taxis on this site but the drivers are not allowed to offer sharing. The customer has to ask. So if you see someone going near or where you want to go ask to share and it will save you about half the cost.

In terms of dining. I recommend going to the Hog Penny in Hamilton. It is great pub and the fish and chips are to die for! We also ate at Coconuts at the Reefs Hotel. They have a $68 price fix 4 course meal. Great meal and the location was beautiful over looking the water and beach. It feels like you are in a treehouse. One of the most gorgeous places I have ever eaten. We also ate at Aqua, at the Ariel Sands. It was also on the beach and very good but I liked Coconuts better.

I recommend going to Warwick Long Bay Park and taking the trails down to the beach and following the beaches and coves to Horseshoe Bay Beach. It is really a beautiful walk, hike, and climb and the sights you will see are just beautiful. So many coves and secluded beaches often times with no one on them. We took a taxi to Long Bay Park and walked the rest of the way along the water to Horseshoe Bay Beach we left in the morning and got there at lunch time which was perfect timing since we stopped and ate lunch at the beach cafe and had a great $5 cheeseburger! There are taxi's right there to take back to the hotel if you dont want to take the walk all the way back.

Overall the Coco Reef served its purpose and I would stay there again. It would be really great if they updated the rooms. But mostly all the people we talked to at the hotel said the location was the best and they liked the feel and preferred staying there rather than any of the bigger hotels.

• Liked — Location to the beach
  • Disliked — Rooms were dated and need upgrading.
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask to share taxi's with fellow travelers
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
7 Thank lfm188

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Chicago
Reviewed July 19, 2006

We thank all the posters on this site for recommending Coco Reef. Having essentially all positive reviews (prior to the past month or so, apparently) helped us decide on this hotel over the others we were considering. We’d like to add another very positive review.

The hotel itself is very nice. It’s a small place (less than 100 rooms) so it was quiet and there was no problem getting a table at the restaurant or a chair at the beach. None of the other guests felt the need to get up at 6AM and ‘reserve’ a chair on the beach for later in the day (which we’ve seen at larger places).

The restaurant was very good for breakfast (included with the room rate) and good for the one dinner and two lunches we had there. I would not plan on eating there every night, though.

The staff was very friendly and helpful.

We had a second floor ‘oceanview’ room with a balcony overlooking the beach. Great view. We left the door open on several nights to hear the surf. The room was decent, very clean, and decorated in typical Bermuda style. It was a few years old, but no complaints to speak of.

The location was great. A 15 minute bus ride to Hamilton, 10 minutes by cab. It’s on Elbow Beach and right on the bus line to Horseshoe and Warwick Long Bay Beaches. We did not rent scooters. With this location, getting around via bus, ferry, and the occasional taxi was really not a problem.

One thing that should be mentioned is that it’s about a ½ mile walk to the bus stop, so plan on a taxi ride or two if the wife is bringing uncomfortable shoes to wear for dinner.

The beach at the hotel was spectacular and uncrowded. As mentioned above, we were always able to get a beach chair. The reefs ~300 ft offshore broke up the waves, so there was a little surf, but not as rough as other places. Elbow Beach is 50% public, but we saw no-one who were not hotel guests on the Coco Reef portion, except maybe a few walkers and joggers.

Of the places we were considering, this was the most expensive, but it was well worth it.

• Liked — beach & location
  • Disliked — the pool
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Greg&Pat
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed July 19, 2006

The location of this place is fantastic. The beach is one of the best around. the hotel itself lacks what you would expect from this price poitn. On a different note don't bother with snorkeling at this beach. There are hardly any fish. You pay $20 to see tiny silver fish and some sand colored fish. For better results you might try other beaches or snorkeling excursions.

This hotel lacked the type of service and amenities you expect when you pay over $300 a night. The front desk staff is friendly but everyone else is comatose at best. We arrived at lunch time and had to wait 1 hour to get wrong order of food. We received no apology and were charged for the wrong "more expensive" dish we received. We complained to the manager and he said he will take care of us. As we were walking to our room, we heard him yelling at the staff right in front of everyone in the restaurant. Needless to say, everyone involved was embarrassed.

The room has a very nice view but is sparse. The bathroom is awful. The tub had yellow streaks in it and the shower handle was broken. The bed didn't have a blanket between the bedsheet and the bedcover. To top it all off, the bathroom was sandy. Pretty gross if you walking barefoot. Whilst we didn't have any cockroach problems, other guests we made friends with complained about it. Others complained about bad service as well. That confirmed that we were not being extra sensitive.

The patio had plastic table and chair that was too uncomfortable to sit in. Again at this price range we were expecting wicker chairs at least. Plastic chair and tables are expected at Hampton Inn or the likes.

What this hotel overall lacks is attention to details. The dinner menu was good and we were given a great seating overlooking the ocean. As we enjoyed the view we couldn't help but to notice about 7-8 cigarette butts on the floor next to our table. This somewhat took away from the ambience but was a clear example of what to expect here.

Stay here if you don't mind paying the Five Star prices but getting 2-3 star service and amenities.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Anamika
Philadelphia
Reviewed July 17, 2006

I just got back from a four night stay at Coco Reef. Great location, great beach, beachfront second story the best view. Beautiful, nice, small quiet facility, exactly what we wanted. Close to Hamilton but not too close ($15 taxi w/tip).

SERVICE TOP NOTCH - Dana, Tyd, Niko, and Unray do a wonderful job, they really enjoy making their guest happy. You can feel the philosphy of the staff is "customer must be and stay happy".

My wife loved the place, and loved the people. If you want to stay away from the upscale stuffy mega hotels (Southampton Princess) and get a nice quiet place to relax with a BEAUTIFUL view at a good price I recommend Coco Reef.

8 Thank wlawson9
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 15, 2006

Just got back from 6 nights at the Coco Reef.
First of all, the location of the Motel is great, right on the beach and not too big of a taxi trip to Hamilton. This was our first trip from Oregon to Bermuda, what a beautiful place!
I will not bore you with reviews of what to do or see while there, plenty of others on this site that have done that for me.
But about this "resort". This is not a resort. It is a room at the beach, and that is about it. We live on the west coast of the U.S, and had a very long and expensive trip to Bermuda. When we checked in, the room thet gave us was disgusting. There was mold growing in the shower and the placed smelled bad. It was also in the room (we found out later, #404, by the way) that the "cleaning" staff leaves bags of garbage laying right outside the front of the door for half the day-really pretty for that room and everyone who walks by there.
Anyway, I promptly went to the front desk and said that I had booked this place 4 months in advance and it was my honeymoon and this was not going to work. This is the first time I have ever complained about a room in my life. They first told me that "they were full" and that was going to have to do. I complined louder and longer and then all of a sudden some lady who I never saw again came out of the secret back room and "found" another room we could look at. I went to that room-it was on the second floor in the same complex and had a nicer veiw of the ocean (partially obscured by the #200 and #100 pods of the motel). The bathroom still had mold in the shower and on the curtain, but it was "better" and didn't smell as bad either, so we reluctantly agreed.
The second night we were there we were introduced to the Bermuda "Palmetto Bug", also known as a 2 inch long flying COCKROACH, scurring across the bathroom floor when I was getting ready for bed-that was gross and creeped us out untill the day we left. I killed 6 of them during our stay. We told the "staff" that we had bugs in our room and they accused us of "questioning the cleanliness of their rooms"!!! They said they would "spray" while we were gone that day-I dought they did, the staff was near comatose to any kind of service request. While we were at it, we also suggested they wash the windows in the breakfast area, it looked as though 20 4-year olds wiped thier noses on all the windows in there-nice to look at the beach through them first thing in the morning. For their credit-the next morning the windows were all sparkling clean and it made all the difference in the world. It was like that with everything there, like the people were oblivious to anything that was going on there at their hotel to make it a better stay for their guests.
The front desk could get you a moped to rent, a taxi, or a pool towel-that was it. Any other request for any info was received with a point to a side room with pamphlets strung about. You were on your own. They didnt even have a boogie-board to lent for the beach.
We got an email address of the owner form the hotel becuase we wanted to address these issues with them-can you believe it, it was an outdated address and was returned to us as undeliverable!?
Next time I'll buck up a little harder (like everything in Bermuda, its expensive....) and go to a real "resort" and save being a exterminator and cleaning person to someone else.

• Stayed July 2006
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York City
Reviewed July 13, 2006

We just got back from the CocoReef a couple of days ago for our two year anniversary and had a lovely stay. First the positives- the hotel lobby and rooms are nice and we had a fabulous balcony right over the beach with a perfect view; the breakfast buffet was sufficient and free; the pool was nice and the temperature perfect; the beach was amazing; the drinks were good and it is close to Hamilton; the hotel is quiet, smaller and not crowded. The negatives- we told them almost a week before about our early arrival but they did not make any effort to accomodate us and we winded up checking in after the normal check in time at 3pm; the women at the front desk did not seem too friendly or helpful and they are not only the reception, but the concierge and the place to get towels, which sometimes meant a wait if there was only one person behind the desk; the manager who we heard such great things about is no longer there; prices for food were pretty expensive considering the portions. On our anniversary day we booked a sunset cruise with the help of the front desk with Fantasea cruises, we waited for 45 minutes and were later told by the concierge at the Fairmont that the cruise was cancelled that afternoon and no one bothered to tell us. I called Fantasea the next day to complain and they claimed that they spoke to someone at the front desk and also would've left a message on our voicemail. I asked why I didn't get a voicemail and they said perhaps the front desk transferred them to the wrong room. At first I thought one of the women at the front desk neglected to tell us about the cancellation but then what are the odds of them both forgetting and transferring the caller to the wrong room. In any case, we are never booking anything with Fantasea again. By the way, if you order a glass of champagne at the Fairmont be warned- they charged us $30 for a glass which we thought was ridiculous. Another word of advice, don't rent scooters unless you are somewhat adventurous. Its dangerous but fun to do maybe once. All in all, we had a wonderful trip. The weather was perfect and its a short flight from NYC!

• Stayed July 2006
4 Thank katana11
Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 10, 2006

My husband and I stayed at Coco Reef from June 29th - July 3rd. I had been looking into this resort and Bermuda in general on Trip Advisors since we began our planning in early October. I must tell you that Coco Reef was definitely the right choice for us!

The Resort:
Coco Reef is in an excelllent location in regards to its proximity to Hamilton and to the far "Dockyard" end of the island. On the way from the airport to our resort, I was a bit surprised at how developed (lovely nonetheless) Bermuda was. I longed for a view of the beautiful beaches and waters I had long been anticipating. When we reached Coco Reef, we were rewarded. Upon arrival, I was very pleased with the main building and lobby. It was lovely. Our room was in the building directly to the right of the main building. We had a second floor room (313) which I highly recommend. When we saw the view from the balcony, we were so taken back by the beauty of it all. The grounds at Coco Reef are well maintained. The pool and veranda areas very nice. The beach is just the right size and everything we were hoping for. The water.....incredibly blue and clear! Also, our room-bedroom/living room, changing area, and bathroom were very nice and cleaned well daily. We did have a little toilet flushing issue, but learned when to and when not to flush and it was fine!

Transportation:
The trek from the entrance to the resort on South Shore Road to the actual hotel might be considered somewhat lengthy by some, but was definitely manageable when we walked to and from the bus stop. Just a tip regarding transportation- we purchased bus and ferry passes right at the airport upon our arrival and definitely got our money's worth. The buses do not run on a regular schedule in some areas on Sunday evenings so be sure to look into this before you go to the bus stop- you might need to call for a taxi. We actually shared a taxi twice with other couples heading in the same direction we were and that was an affordable option for all.
We did not rent scooters because there seemed to be an awful lot of traffic on the roads and I just was not confident. On a return trip, I think we would give it a try, but only if I were my husband's passenger. I could definitely see how riding one would be advantageous to visiting beautiful Horseshoe Bay, Long Warwick, and others that we had astounding views of from the bus on the way to the Dockyard.

Dining:
We had breakfast everyday at Coco Reef and while it was the same everyday, there were plenty of choices to allow one to have a different breakfast daily. I enjoyed the blueberry scones and fresh fruit. There were scrambled eggs ( a bit runny) and bacon and sausage daily, as well as french toast, assorted muffins, cereal, and more. It was convenient not to have to go out to breakfast, knowing that other meals would be eaten elsewhere.

Regarding LUNCH......We really messed up here. On 2 of the four days, we actually missed an opportunity for lunch because we didn't eat before 3 PM. We got busy doing other things and wanted a late lunch or afternoon snack. We discovered that we could NOT eat at our resort, The Swizzle Inn ( and after a few rum swizzles or dark and stormies you could really use some substance) or Mickey's at Elbow beach between 3 and 6 or 6:30 PM. So, word to the wise.....plan your lunches while eating breakfast!!! I am sure we could have taken a ride into Hamilton for some eats, but for whatever reason, we opted to wait until dinner those days. We did enjoy a tasty lunch and The Frog and The Onion one day at the Dockyards and I would recommend it!

Speaking of dinner..........We enjoyed dinner at our resort on the first evening and were very pleased with it. We also had great dinners at Coconuts ( Loved it!), Port O'Call
( Good) and The Whaler's Inn at Southhampton (VERY GOOD!). We came upon this last one when we escaped from the Horseshoe Bay Beach Party (don't bother!) and followed the sound of music next door. We were so fortunate to be seated by a lovely woman named Melody, who, in spite of our "not so dressy" wardrobe, seated us inside without reservations. We even enjoyed a fireworks display there! We did not get to eat at Aqua or The Waterlot, but heard from other tourists that these places were excellent.

Other info:
We had a great time snorkeling at Snorkel Park! Lots of fun! If you want to go out on a snorkeling excursion by boat or with guides, be sure to book reservations ahead of time!

We visited Hamilton one somewhat rainy day for shopping and a drink at the Hog Penny before dinner. Nice little shopping area with various pubs and restaurants.

We visited the Glassworks and Rum Cake Factory when we went to the Dockyard. We brought back several Rum Cakes as gifts for family and friends, which we thought was a nice Bermudan treat for them.

All in all, we had a most enjoyable, relaxing, carefree time in the most beautiful place that is, unbelievably 2 hours away for us! I know some day I will return.

If you are looking for a place that is unpretentious and relaxed, I would recommend Coco Reef. The service at the front desk was just fine, but, I have heard that some other resorts such as The Reefs, Southhampton Princess, etc. might actually provide more in that department. We have no complaints. Another hotel guest we spoke to was a bit disappointed that other resorts had taxi's waiting to take guests places, while Coco Reefs guests had to call and wait. But, again, this didn't bother us.
I appreciated the free internet access. Another hotel guest showed me how to open up a free Hotmail account and I was able to correspond with my children, sister, and best friend! This was wonderful!

We had a great experience at Coco Reef! Would we stay again?
I am not sure that many other resorts would suit us as well. We will remember our time in Bermuda and at Coco Reef for a lifetime!

To anyone going there in the near future, relax and enjoy! I look forward to hearing about your trip!

6 Thank cannot-wait-to-go
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,054 reviews

Been to Coco Reef Resort Bermuda? Share your experiences!