Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
Elbow Beach, Bermuda(Paget Parish)
$675
$2,740
Fourways Inn(Paget Parish)
Dawkin's Manor(Paget Parish)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewscoco reef resortthe busocean frontelbow beachbeautiful beachday passquiet hotelwicker furnituregrocery storegolf cartbeachfront roommini fridgethe general managerbit datedbeach chairs and umbrellasmodern martyogurt
Oakville , Ontario
Reviewed April 18, 2006

My husband and I just returned from a lovely 7 day trip last week from Coco Reef. We have been to Bermuda 4 times in the past 25 years and have stayed in various types of accomodations - from a B&B to a private home. To celebrate my husband's 50th birthday we wanted something small and on the beach. Coco Reef was perfect. Upgraded to the oceanfront room 2nd floor - views were amazing. we had the sound of the surf coming through the patio door all day and night long. Rooms are very clean, bathtub a bit dated. Decorated simply. With all the touring we have done during the past 4 vacations in Bermuda I would highly suggest Coco Reef. You will not get anything else so close to the beach. Close to Hamilton. Can walk to Elbow Beach for lunch. Good grocery store just down the road. Great little spot up the road for a simple lunch - The Paraquet - best fish sandhwich and chowder on the island. Service was average - all were very pleasant, breakfast was average. Overall still very much worth the money. We plan to return next year for our 25th anniversary.

Stayed: April 2006
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 4, 2006

Started off either considering:

Pink Beaches
The Reefs
Coco Reef

We were flying first class with BA and they had a very good deal on Coco Reef, meaning that we got about 35% off the listed ‘best’ internet prices we could get and that swayed it for me.

Am I glad we stayed at Coco Reef

I’m one of those reasonably fussy (but not over the top) people that has travelled all over the world and have seen the good (and the bad!)

Coco Reef is best described as a ‘Boutique’ resort without the bells and whistles of the resorts that you would have to pay 3* as much for.

We stayed in total for 6 nights. We opted for the Mini-bus transfer in the hope that we might see a few other resorts on the way. GO BY TAXI please – it wasted about an extra hour ramming about 25 people in a confined area that was meant for much less – and I half expected the mini-bus not to proceed forward - the amount of weight it had in it.

We went past Grotto Bay (from the outside and what I subsequently learnt and saw of it I’d say that’s an appropriate name). We arrived at the Coco Reef. Nice enough reception area, small and ok. We had been upgraded to a ‘sea front’ property – fantastic.

We looked out of the room the next morning – WOW, what a view. In fact even the further back rooms would have an excellent view of the sea and be very close to the very long ‘Elbow Beach’ area.

Breakfast
Breakfast comes free and you can eat as much as you like. You can order your own food if you don’t like buffet – but you’ll have to ask and the staff are not so pro-active. In fact the breakfast staff are totally indifferent (not as bad as Sandals/Jamaica – Jeez those people are downright lazy). Having spoken with our Hotel host – Robin Gilbert (more later) it’s a function of the lack of staff on the Island and the 100% employment status – they are crying out for staff (and more importantly of the right calibre)

Room
What a view. Of average sort of size with ok balcony. Bathroom could be improved but functional in every respect. Beds – this was a downside. We expected a double, ok it wasn’t really, being two single put together and the mattresses were, for us, too hard
I would rate the overall rooms as average at best.

The resort
Tennis courts, small bar area, nice terrace for lunch and the beach area and steps to the beach. The beach and views are the real selling point. You will be hard pushed to find any resort with the views and location in Bermuda – well in fact you won’t find better as close to Hamilton

Other hotels
Elbow beach resort is right next door. It’s set back a long way off the beach, as such it has NO beachfront or rooms with good views, even if you’re on the top floor. Very nice ‘large’ hotel which charges a lot for drinks and food. If I was offered both at the same price I would chose Coco Reef every time. You will of course go and see this if your next door to it! The restaurants here are pretentious, especially the Lido. Extortionate prices and posh service don’t really add to any atmosphere at all – best avoided.

Fairmont’s – one in Hamilton is over-priced on everything and very much a business hotel only. Other Fairmont is only any good if you like your golf (although they are selling half the golf course for private Condo’s)

The reefs. Fantastic views, a view from the pool which is amazing also. A small private beach (much, much smaller than Elbow’s) and the biggest problems are that it’s about an extra $10-$12 cab ride over Coco Reef from Hamilton and secondly, they are building something next door and the eyesore is terrible and people have to know about this

Pink Beaches is just too far from anything on the South East side of the Island

The beaches
Elbow beach is great but a problem we found was that there is a certain amount of glass near the waterfront. If you walk along the 600-800metres, or so of the beach front you will be able to count about 10-20 pieces of glass – which needs to be removed, but it’s a public beach so difficult – then again it may be public (as are all in Bermuda) but you won’t see hardly any people at any time of the day

Horseshoe Bay, inbetween Elbow Beach and the Reefs along with Warwick Long Bay are public beaches, totally deserted and amazing – especially Horseshow Bay. If you come to Bermuda these are a must see

Attractions
St Georges in the eastern side is the old historic town, along with various forts and ‘Tobacco Bay’. To be honest we found this area very boring. Then there are the Crystal caves – we saw both caves and they are ok – a little small and I would say that the prices charged should have been at least 50% cheaper based on the experience (but this is Bermuda!)
The Dockyard and Maritime Museum – this had something about it which we liked – don’t know what it was – we just liked it and went back a couple of times

Getting around
Get say a 3 day bus pass and experience the Island, it’s reasonably cheap and you can see everything. Not like buses in the USA (would you use a transit bus in most places in the States – No, or a Bus in the UK, not unless you have to!) here in Bermuda it’s a more relaxing and pleasant affair, taking in the surroundings

Eating
Food and drink are not cheap in Bermuda but they are not extortionate like places such as Anguilla or for that matter Seychelles or top hotels prices like the Four Seasons in Egypt (by the way if your English and have not been to Egypt – think of a cheap resort in Spain/Tunisia surrounded by lots of scum – best avoided unless you like cheap holidays that give you food poisoning –like we got)

All places charge a 15% premium for ‘service’ which seems compulsory, which when the wine prices are high, although I guess not by USA restaurant or London prices, it’s a bit steep

We ate at the hotel one night on a fixed charge of $35 (plus 15%) excluding drinks for 3 courses which was ok and would be one of the cheaper prices you’ll find in a hotel.

Best place we found for ‘up-market’ eating was the Barracuda Grill (great food, good wine menu and great service in a nicely set up restaurant) – I would recommend the Crab cakes on the main course.

We also ate at Portofino’s - an Italian restaurant also in Hamilton. Totally awful – The McDonalds of the Italian trade, dressed up as a restaurant, awful food, shabby service and all at the speed that Carl Lewis would be proud of (for a 100m dash!)

Management at the Coco Reef
Coco-Reef has the distinct advantage that it has an excellent Hotel manager and in fact one of the most helpful people I have come across in many a hotel. You cannot ask for better advice on what to see, where to go for food, etc. Barracuda was spot on – just ask him (Robin Gilbert) and he will oblige – as will Dana. We put Robins name down at a restaurant we ate at (a free meal prize!!) – Not sure he will win though

We were felt very welcome, no amount of time is too little to ask questions and crucially for once I got the impression that the manager really does care what his guests think about the place (and as importantly – the Island itself)

I cannot rate Robin any more highly to say, what a find for the owner – well done for this one

Dana was also good. Sorry if I spelt the name wrong. There was also a pleasant guy serving lunch – guy from the states

Bermuda
Would we go back to Bermuda and to Coco Reef? Definitely on both counts. We’d like to go back later in the season but this will depend on job commitments. I cannot really put into words the ‘niceness’ of the overall feel of the Island, the people are friendly, they honk their horns as they pass you, they smile and wave. There are no ‘no-go areas’. The Island is prosperous and I think would especially appeal to retired couples. You will not find better for an ‘all-rounder’ Island in the Caribbean (Ok so I’ve only been to about 10 Islands so maybe that’s a generalisation)

I rate Bermuda 5* and the hotel 5* based on the views and the attitude of the senior management. For some they may be looking to be pampered and want higher quality. If so go to one of the larger resorts, like Elbow beach – but it has a robotic feel and you won’t enjoy the experience as much

39  Thank sti5brigade
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 26, 2006

My fiance and I just returned from a long weekend get-away at the Coco Reef and we had a great time. We found the hotel room to be average but the location was beyond anything I could imagine. We had a ground level, ocean front room. The view from our room was spectacular. Also, we only had to take a fews steps away from our patio and we were on the beach. So even though the room was not the best I've ever stayed in (the beds are a little uncomfortable), it was easily over looked because of the great location. The beach was absolutely beautiful with crystal clear blue water and white sand that is as soft as baby powder. We ate breakfast at the hotel every morning since it was included and we found it to be a great value. My fiance ordered omlettes or poached eggs every morning and said they were wonderful. There was also bacon, sausage, scrammbled eggs, pancakes, french toach, fresh fruit, cereal and oatmeal. There was quite a selection for an included breakfast. We did not each there for lunch, but we did eat there one night for dinner. The food was good but the selection was limited. Since we were staying there during an off season time the hotel was not very full and as a result the menu was limited to two choices. However, we were told by Dana that if we had another request, it could most likely be accomodated. Dana at the front desk was wonderful as he helped us select other restaurants on the Island and made all of our dinner and taxi reservations. We found him to kind and helpful! we also took advantage of the two computers that they offer there free of charge and used these to research some other restaurants on the island. A couple of times we walked over to Elbow beach and ate in their Verdana Bar. The food there was also good but the drinks (especially the pina coladas and swizzles) were excellent! The quality of Elbow beach was higher than that of Coco Reef, but the location of Elbow was not nearly as nice as it was higher up on a hill. Overall we had a WONDERFUL weekend and hope to return again someday!

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Jamaica Hills, New York
Reviewed March 10, 2006

Thank you for four wonderful days well spent. My husband and I have been working very hard these past few months (especially my husband). I decided to surprise him with this trip. I told him to pack his suitcase, we are going to run away somewhere for a change of scenery and rest. I could not have picked a better place than the COCO REEF. It was amazing to see this place looks exactly as pictured on the internet. The color of the hotel was so tropical and inviting. Our room was the best(218). We could lay in the bed and see the beautiful blue ocean and its picturesque waves cascade on the shore. We kept the balcony door open just to be serenaded by the music of the ocean.

Breakfast in the morning was always great. The homefries are the best. My husband could not get enough.

The staff members were polite and professional. If you are looking for the warm and friendly, you might be disappointed. Are you looking for accommodating? Yes, you will find it. We were quite hungry around 5 and would not be able to hold until dinner. Darrell saw to it that we had a light meal to tie us over until dinner.

BOTTOM LINE: For all you New Yorkers who must endure the cold winter and the daily hustle and bustle of commuting to work---Are you tired and in need of rest and a change of scenery. Paradise is right next door (less than 2hr flight) at the coco reef.

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 22, 2006

My husband and I visited Coco Reef for a long weekend at the end of October to celebrate our 20th anniversary. The weather was not perfect that weekend but we did enjoy our stay at Coco Reef. We had the breakfast there every day (included in room price). You could special order eggs, omelettes and they had a buffet all of which was very good. The room was on the smaller side but immaculate and nicely decorated. The best part was opening the slider and hearing the waves crash onto the rocks, right outside our door. We had a small balcony to sit out on and the view was wonderful. They had nice beach chairs with umbrellas spread over the beach and again the view from here was great. You could also walk a good stretch of beach past Elbow Beach hotel which was a nice am or pm walk. The hotel is not super fancy but very clean and well decorated and overall a very nice property. It was perfect for us. I don't know that they would have a lot there to entertain kids though - if I was travelling with kids I would stay at one of the bigger resorts with more activities for kids. We did not eat dinner there as we wanted to try other places on the island - Coconuts at The Reefs was our favorite. Bermuda is beautiful and the people are wonderful there. I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2005