“CoCo Reef...truly outstanding! Wow!”

Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Paget Parish
Reviewed July 28, 2005

My husband and I just returned from a five night stay at the CoCo Reef in Paget, and I am still on cloud nine about our entire experience in Bermuda..I don't even know where to begin...in beginning to research for our trip (I am a big homework doer), I began to look at hotels with the best price and location, not judging so much by what they looked like on the website, but keeping that in mind all the same....as you know, Bermuda is pricey, so all the big "resort" hotels were automatically out..fine with me since I never liked those anyway...I feel they tend to be impersonal and "force" you to feel the need to stay on-premise instead of exploring....of all the small hotels I looked at, it appeared the CoCo Reef had the best location (pretty central in Paget), relatively decent rates, and what seemed attractive pictures from the website, not to mention very excellent ratings recently on tripadvisor...as luck would have it, one search on a popular vacation package host (can't give website here), actually lowered the rate of both room and airfare if booked as a package, so needless to say, I booked ASAP. I was fairly confident of my choice, but rarely do I find my expectations surpassed.....but CoCo Reef did just that...

First of all, the hotel just had a renovation last fall, as it changed management hands (probably why it is still not so crowded or popular, as it is making a name for itself .. it used to be the Stonington Hotel)...the lobby is beautiful, immaculate and thoroughly air conditioned! Immediately I noticed the gorgeous marble bar directly overlooking the ocean and the beautiful hotel restaurant and pool with the same view...Everyone at the front desk was extremely kind and helpful as I found all Bermudians to be..simply top notch.. We were soon lead to an immaculate and cozy room right on the beach with stunning vistas just outside our window...truly, it felt like our own private island! We couldn't believe it....though every room at CoCo Reef has an ocean view, some are ocean front..we were lucky enough to book the latter for not much more, though I would have been happy with either....Just a stones throw away from our little hotel lie the Elbow Beach Resort....a lovely place, no doubt, but in so many ways not up to par with our little piece of paradise (not to mention double the price!) and here's why....

Both properties are on gorgeous Elbow Beach....the stretch of sand at CoCo Reef, however is far more private, not to mention far more scenic..the hotel built some walls up from the sand below..several levels in fact, so that as you sit in your lounge chair, you feel like you are on the edge of a private cliff in a tropical paradise...if you get too hot, you simply leave your private cliff, walk 100 feet or so across a lush lawn filled with palm trees, and within twenty seconds you are on the deck of your room..unbelievable!! At the Elbow Beach, the enormous building which houses all the rooms (unlike the several cute "houses" dotting the shore at CoCo Reef) is actually a shuttle bus ride away down a long hill (and a steamy 15 minute walk back up, should you choose to walk..in any case, in either direction, it's a hike)...the resort lies on a beautiful but flat and non-descript stretch of sand with hundreds of beach chairs lined up in a row, flanked by two restaurants...not as much quaint charm, in my opinion.

Breakfast at the CoCo Reef was plentiful, delicious and situated in a sunny dining room above the sea. The one meal my husband and I had at Mickey's at Elbow Beach was AWFUL and way overpriced..lunch at the CoCo Reef is served poolside and is excellent and rather reasonably priced, given food prices in Bermuda, anyway.... All the waitstaff and bartenders could not be nicer and made our stay even extra special. The front desk arranged for our scooter rental ( a one-day must just to see the beautiful cove beaches in Southampton..but after that, Elbow Beach is the best beach on the island to relax day after day, in my opinion...very convenient and equally beautiful, especially if you are staying right on it..not to mention Paget is even more accessible to Hamilton than Southhampton), all our wake-up calls as well as all our taxi service...My husband and I could not have been any happier, and we are extremely picky people! The combination of service, price, charm, location and ocean views made CoCo reef the most special place we've ever stayed in, and we vow to return next year....read all the recent reviews..we are not lying! So save some money, stay on the ocean, be surrounded by magnificent gardens, beaches and views in a charming and quaint small cozy spot, and get out and enjoy Bermuda..trust me, you don't need that extra massage or bathrobe in your room for an extra $225/night..stay in a small hotel..don't even think about it..now get packing to Bermuda and Go! Go! Go!....that a place of such exquisite beauty and kind people exists only one and a half hours by plane from New York is truly amazing..no wonder so many people return year after year..now I will add myself to that list....no more Bahamas for me! For a full trip review (including restaurant and other suggestions, go to Bermuda Forums...), but for now just book yourself at the CoCo Reef!

• Stayed: July 2005
18  Thank daystar

Reviewed July 16, 2005

Our stay at Coco Reef was wonderful! We arrived at 11am, knowing that check-in time was much later (3pm). But we were told we wouldn't have to wait long and to please enjoy the pool, the beach and lunch, which we did. We weren't even ready to leave the beautiful Bermuda sun when we were told our room was ready!

The room:
Curtis escorted us to our room which was indeed, Ocean Front! When i booked an Ocean Front room through Orbitz, I wasn't sure if I'd actually get one. There was also a king-sized bed which i had requested (yes, two doubles joined together), a big bathroom with a dressing area, large closet with a safe, a desk, dresser (with 3 faux drawers to hide the fridge) and a sleeper couch). Our sliding door lead to a small patio area with 2 plastic chairs and a table.

The beach:
In front of our room was the ocean but the actual beach area was to the right and the left of our room. On the right was a small area with 5 umbrellas and 10 lounges. Swim on this side and you're sharing the water with the folks staying at Elbow Beach Hotel. Hundreds of blue umbrellas of EBH are about 50 yards away. You can take a long walk down the beach on this side. To the left of our room was the other beach area with many more beach chairs/umbrellas on 3 different levels. The water area on this side is more rocky which made it great for snorkeling!

The location:
The bus stop is at the end of the long road that leads to the hotel. It took us about 8 minutes to walk from our room to the stop (at a quick pace). We had no trouble locating our stop on the ride home, from either direction. Good landmarks to look out for.

The food:
We were pleasantly surprised that our rate included breakfast! We did our best to fill up on the buffet (you could also order omelettes and such from the kitchen). The buffet included scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, french toast, pancakes, fresh fruits, pastries, yogurt and cereal. I was happy with the selections and never ordered from the kitchen. My boyfriend did get omelettes a couple of mornings and was pleased.

Our lunch upon arrival was also very good. The food seemed fresh and hit the spot. I'm sorry to say we didn't eat dinner at the hotel. It looked like the menu changed every few days (at least in the lobby) and that they had a variety of inventive options.

The staff:
Curtis was so friendly and helpful. He recommended many restaurants and when we followed his advice, we were never dissapointed. I think i saw Robin the manager a couple of times. We did miss the manager's swizzle party which was held on Monday. We were in Hamilton at the time. Bus tokens and passes can be bought at the front desk and they will gladly make reservations and call cabs.

Overall:
We almost didn't stay at Coco Reef and I'm sure glad we did. It was very convienent having the beach outside our door and many food options within walking distance. It was a fabulous trip and i'd gladly go back to Coco Reef!

28  Thank adomatic
A TripAdvisor Member
Lewiston, Maine
Reviewed July 9, 2005

Having never been to Bermuda, my partner and I spent a lot of time with our AAA agent picking out the place that would be best for us. We knew we did not want a resort with a lot of extras that we wouldn't use. We wanted to be right on the beach in a small hotel that had a restaurant and no noisy activity at night. Did we ever find the perfect place!! We had a ground floor room with patio and short walk to the pink sand of our hotel's beach and 80 degree turquoise water. Being next to Elbow Beach meant that we could take long walks on the beach. The room was very pretty and comfortable, and we appreciated having air conditioning, a ceiling fan, coffee maker, safe, and small refrigerator. There was a television but we couldn't take our eyes off the gorgeous water long enough to watch it! The main building was beautiful with its lovely lobby, intimate bar, and beautiful dining room with lots of windows overlooking the ocean. There is also a very nice pool which we enjoyed using. The hotel staff people were very friendly and helpful, and the manager (Robin Gilbert) gave us great tips for seeing various sights on the island. We found the bus system very easy to use and went out twice. However, we wanted to stay at the hotel as much as we could. The buffet breakfast every morning was fabulous, and we could not believe how delicious each and every dinner was. The food was served in such an attractive way, too. Finally, the other guests were fun to meet: they were of all ages and from other countries than the USA. We all agreed that the Coco Reef Resort was a place to which we would return.

21  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 1, 2005

My husband and I just returned from the Coco Reef in Bermuda, celebrating our 40th Wedding Anniversary. We were greeted at the front desk by the Manager, Robin, who was most cordial along with all of the other staff. Our room was a superior oceanview, and was lovely and always kept very clean. We had the second floor which gave us a beautiful view, and we used our balcony often. The beach is small, but nice, and you can also walk over to Elbow Beach to swim where the beach is larger. The food was always good....we had the breakfast every day, and had dinner there 2 nights. The waiters were all friendly and service was good. This is a quiet hotel, not much night life if you are looking for that. We stayed for 5 nights, and didn't want to leave !
This hotel has been nicely renovated and I would recommend it highly.

16  Thank trvl19

#3 of 3 in Southampton Parish
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to Coco Reef Resort Bermuda? Share your experiences!