“Elbow Beach Hotel...A Disappointment”

Elbow Beach, Bermuda
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Paget Parish
A TripAdvisor Member
“Elbow Beach Hotel...A Disappointment”
Reviewed July 16, 2006

We arrived in Bermuda with confidence that this hotel would deliver the quality a Mandarin Oriental should...we were so disappointed! Our room (4th floor, main building) was dirty and musty. Contrary to what we had been told, the carpet had not been replaced; it was completely ripped up in numerous places and stains were abundant. The air conditioner (located on the ceiling) was dripping excessively, causing a large wet area on the carpet below. My wife refused to walk on the floor without wearing shoes. I couldn't blame her...the filthy residue left on your feet was quite nasty. In addition to the carpet, the furniture was outdated, missing parts, and falling apart. Even our bed skirt had black stains all over the fabric.

The bathroom is a story all in itself. The marble countertops and flooring was turning dark yellow, the caulking between the shower titles was falling off, the tub was chipping, and the door would not close. Things only got worse when trying to shower...the plumbing would squeak and the water's temperature would vary greatly. My wife and I were scortched many times by the shower's sudden hot bursts of water. The positives of the room? The bed was extremely comfortable and the view was absolutely beautiful!

Service at Elbow Beach, with exception of the front desk, was quite good. People were friendly and would always go out of their way to ensure you were happy. However, my wife and I tried to switch rooms on various occassions but we were unsuccessful in such attempts. Management did not demonstrate much sympathy when we complained; I have a feeling many people approach hotel staff with similar concerns!

The grounds of Elbow Beach made up for some of the disappoiontment we had with the room. The beach was beautiful and the restaurants were good. Prices were steep but we had previously been warned. We luckily did not experience any "visitors" in our room but there certainly were an infestation of roaches on the grounds at night. We were afraid we'd step on one while walking through the ground's dark pathways!

Our recommendation to those looking to book a hotel in Bermuda? Be sure to spend some extra money for a renovated room OR sacrifice a good location/beach for a better room at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
new york, ny
Reviewed July 13, 2006

We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental at the suggestion of a friend and I wish I had done my research before forking over $455 per night for a Jr. Suite (I paid for a Deluxe Ocean View Room but got "upgraded" to a Jr. Suite thanks to booking it through American Express). I was told the room would be unrenovated unless I wanted to spend $600 for a renovated room but I figured that it would still be a nice room because of the Mandarin name. Boy was I wrong. It was so gross, the air inside the room was very heavy with humidity and mildew. It smelt like a beach house and not like a 5 star hotel. I asked to me moved to another room and I was told the hotel was sold out but the manager showed me other rooms, all in the main building that smelled the same as my mildew room and had smaller bathrooms. We just gave in and got a dehumidifier which I personally emptied 2 times per day. There were lots of cockaroaches outside but I was told by the front desk manager that this is something that comes with Bermuda and there's nothing they can do, but I find that hard to believe. There were cockaroaches running across our balcony every night. The room walls were unpainted and just ugly. They had new carpet in the room but I don't understand why they would get carpet for a room with a mildew problem thanks to the ocean view. The bathroom had marble floors with brown dirt in the grout and the tub was very small making it nearly impossible to avoid touching the shower curtain. They did have Molten Brown products in the bathroom so that was nice, except the maids weren't giving new bottles of the products every day and heavily guarded their carts. I would have taken a lot more products had I known that they would charge me $24 per day for the housekeeping service. I did not know about this charge until checkout time. The beach was nice but it was a huge pain to get to since the hotel is perched on top of a very large hill and to get to the beach you had to climb down stairs and ramps and getting back to the hotel from the beach was even more difficult. They have a shuttle bus that will take you from the lobby to the beach but I think they only have one bus and it takes a long time for it to come. Overall, the food at the hotel was good. We had buffet breakfast every day and that was nice, they had a good selection but no omlete guy, although you could order off the menu for special orders and it counts as part of the full buffet. We ate dinner at Cafe Lido one night and it was average. Great views but the food was pricey. We ate lunch most days at Mickey's Cafe on the beach and they have a good selection but when we visited the Fairmont in Hamilton for lunch one day we found the same choices on the menu so I think it's a typical Bermuda lunch menu but the food was very good. The spa was excellent, except for the prices. My husband and I love spa treatments and we are used to paying $100 per hour at a hotel, but this spa charged $225 for an 80 minute appointment, meaning that they meet with you for a few minutes to discuss what you like and then they take that time off the 80 minutes so it's not a true 80 minute massage, but the massage was great otherwise. If you have your heart set on staying at the Mandarin, wait until they renovate the main building or be prepared to spend a lot to get a renovated room that's not attached to the hotel. I would think the Fairmont Princess in Southampton may be a better choice for the money and quality for now.

16 Thank madamfefe
Reviewed July 11, 2006

For a hotel that describes itself as "luxury," Elbow Beach was a huge and expensive disappointment. First, the rooms are extremely overpriced and are not well-kept. The "deluxe oceanview suite" was not a "suite" in any sense of the word. The bathroom had a single sink, a curtain shower/tub combo that was extremely claustrophic, and had the nice touch of yellow water/variable temperatures, and a running toilet. The air conditioning vent was constantly covered in condensation and the hallways were littered with old furniture. With that said, the view was wonderful and maybe that was worth the extra $150/night "upgrade" from the "standard room." Second, the service is not what you would expect from a "luxury" resort. You are nickle-and-dimed for every little thing (e.g., you have to pay to use their tennis courts even if you are a guest (and, as the tennis staff pointedly told us, if we didn't return the towels, we would be charged $10), a bottle of water at the beach costs $8, etc.). We were constantly left waiting at restaurants where we had reservations, and had to wait an addition hour (until 4:00) to check-in with no apology or attempt at accomodation. Third, the spa, which is absolutely gorgeous, is not exactly practical. Instead of having a locker room with a steam room/sauna, everyone gets a private suite, except unless you pay an additional (and substantial fee), you only get that "private suite" during the time you are paying for a massage, at which time your masseuse is waiting for you behind not-so-private windows. In other words, enjoying a relaxing shower or anything else that normally comes with a spa experience is not possible. Finally, the beach is gorgeous and the hotel does have a lot to offer (quite a few restaurants, nice tennis courts, etc.), but I imagine a fair amount of Bermuda resorts can boast the same. I love Bermuda and will likely return, but would never return to Elbow Beach.

Reviewed July 5, 2006

The beach on the hotel was beautiful. The resturaunts were very good. The room...well the room is nothing to write home about...and thats putting it nicely. I'm usually not one to complain about hotels. I am one of those people who love traveling (even though I dont get to do much of it) and i am fine staying at any decent place. I will make this short and only tell you about a few of our problems. Firstly, the power went out on the floor I was on every single night. Secondly, it took 6 phone calls to get a cot into our room...they seemed to excpect four people to fit into a king sized bed even though we booked a room with two double beds (which they stated that we didn't). Thirdly, there was an unbelivably huge cocroach right outside of our room. We were unfortunatly not staying in the newly renovated rooms, which I'm hoping are alot nicer for your sake.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Washington, DC
Reviewed June 18, 2006

I don't normally write to the senior management of a hotel chain, but the quality of our room and of some of the wait staff was so atrocious that I felt that I needed to do so. Plus, the mother of the bride of the wedding that I attended received such abominable service from the hotel, to include providing the bride and groom with an ant-infested room and then moving them to an unrenovated room with stained carpeting and dingy furniture, forgetting to order the champagne, refusing at first to provide contracted services (and then only doing it after significant protests had been lodged). Accordingly, I felt compelled to suggest to the Mandarin Oriental's corporate management that they either divest themselves of this property, fire the on-site management or retrain the entire staff. Would I go there again? Not to this property, under this management.

Here's a sample of my experience at this property:

With regard to the quality of the accomodations, a catalogue of the condition of my room at checkin:

1. Stained carpet

2. Chipped furniture -- nightstand, desk, perhaps more; I stopped looking

3. Dirty walls

4. Duvet cover with ink marks on it

5. Moldy grout on the floor of the bathroom -- orange in color

6. Broken stopper in the bathtub -- the broken pieces were sitting on the side of the tub

7. Chipped bathtub

8. Inoperable climate control knob -- it had been stripped

9. Dirty safe

10. Sloping and dusty floor -- or perhaps it was just a very poor job of installing the carpet

Other guests at the wedding I attended also commented to me that they had received rooms with stained carpet, worn furniture and moldy curtains. Some even had cockroaches in their rooms and ants in their beds (the latter, as noted above, was experienced by the bride).

With regard to my interactions with the staff of the hotel, the vast majority were quite accomodating and helpful. This included the front desk staff, the concierge, the sales people in the on-site stores, and the wait staff at Mickey's and the Lido Cafe. Further, the food was outstanding and the beach quite breathtaking.

Unfortunately, some of the staff were notable by their rudeness and lack of commitment to serving their guests. This included the manager on duty when I arrived, who indicated that all the rooms in the main hotel were similar to mine and declined initially to provide the advertised small discount for inconveniencing guests who were in unrenovated rooms on floors undergoing renovation (as both I and my adult children were). It also included the wait staff in the Veranda on June 13, who looked visibly upset that my husband and I and our children wanted to have breakfast in the Veranda room and who subsequently failed to bring the breakfasts promptly -- we waited about 45 minutes -- and then when he brought the breakfasts, failed to bring my husband and daughter their full breakfasts but charged them for full breakfasts. (They had ordered eggs, which are supposed to come with sausage and bacon. They received the eggs, but not the sausage and bacon. I subsequently insisted on an adjustment in the bill, which the waiter made after scowling at me.) I would also note that some of the charges were different from those listed on my confirmation, a discrepancy that I resolved to my satisfaction ultimately but which never should have occurred.

42 Thank traveler196869
Reviewed June 14, 2006

My husband and I had to find last minute accomodations, so we booked through Cheaptickets. The hotel's "undesirable" rooms are contracted out to travel sites for booking. For the same price/night, we could have had a pool or bay view if we had booked directly with Elbow Beach Hotel.
The main hotel building is older, but the room was clean and air conditioned. The resort grounds are excellent: groomed walkways with lots of flowers, many delicious dining options including beachfront dining, and a superb beach service with complimentary towels, lounge chairs, table-and-umbrella stands on a private beach. Had a fabulous stay and will certainly return - except next time, we'll book with the hotel directly!

California
Reviewed June 13, 2006

I just loved our room at Elbow Beach. We were there for a business conference and I usually avoid large resorts, but I was in heaven at this place. Our room was #506 in the Honeysuckle building, and I think it was one of the best locations on the property. Our room felt completely private, in large part because of the large and private patio with a little lawn area beyond it and great ocean views. I loved sitting on the patio with just the birds.

The room has a light beach-house decor which reminded of the fabulous Shutters in Santa Monica. Roomy fridge/bar/coffeemaking area, Plasma TV, sitting area, desk, and gorgeous bathroom. The bathtub was so enticing, I actually took a bath which is something I never do in hotels. I just couldn't resist that little pot of bath salts. A large glass shower was luxurious and though the vanity had only one sink, the counter is spacious and the closet had more than enough room for the two of us. All the usual amenities - but so beautifully and thoughtfully appointed. I was really surprised at how much I liked this room. One thing I had never seen before: I opened the drawer to the night stand and there was a local phone book with a little plastic magnifying glass on top! How cool is that!?

Dinner at the popular Mickey's restaurant on the beach was good - I wouldn't call it fantastic food, but you're RIGHT on the beach. The beach is beautiful, too. White sand and you can walk down to Coral Beach Club.

Make sure you get a good location at this resort - it makes all the difference. Some of the buildings' views are blocked by foliage and the resort map is deceiving. You actually want to be higher up for better views and more privacy, not closer to the beach. It's a 2-minute walk to the beach, and you don't need a ride.

I had no problems with any of the service and found everyone very friendly. I did have to call three times to get a light bulb replaced, but I was so happy at this place, I couldn't have cared less about the light bulb. I would go back there in a heartbeat, even if it is a bigger resort with more people than I usually like.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to Elbow Beach, Bermuda? Share your experiences!