We arrived in Bermuda with confidence that this hotel would deliver the quality a Mandarin Oriental should...we were so disappointed! Our room (4th floor, main building) was dirty and musty. Contrary to what we had been told, the carpet had not been replaced; it was completely ripped up in numerous places and stains were abundant. The air conditioner (located on the ceiling) was dripping excessively, causing a large wet area on the carpet below. My wife refused to walk on the floor without wearing shoes. I couldn't blame her...the filthy residue left on your feet was quite nasty. In addition to the carpet, the furniture was outdated, missing parts, and falling apart. Even our bed skirt had black stains all over the fabric.
The bathroom is a story all in itself. The marble countertops and flooring was turning dark yellow, the caulking between the shower titles was falling off, the tub was chipping, and the door would not close. Things only got worse when trying to shower...the plumbing would squeak and the water's temperature would vary greatly. My wife and I were scortched many times by the shower's sudden hot bursts of water. The positives of the room? The bed was extremely comfortable and the view was absolutely beautiful!
Service at Elbow Beach, with exception of the front desk, was quite good. People were friendly and would always go out of their way to ensure you were happy. However, my wife and I tried to switch rooms on various occassions but we were unsuccessful in such attempts. Management did not demonstrate much sympathy when we complained; I have a feeling many people approach hotel staff with similar concerns!
The grounds of Elbow Beach made up for some of the disappoiontment we had with the room. The beach was beautiful and the restaurants were good. Prices were steep but we had previously been warned. We luckily did not experience any "visitors" in our room but there certainly were an infestation of roaches on the grounds at night. We were afraid we'd step on one while walking through the ground's dark pathways!
Our recommendation to those looking to book a hotel in Bermuda? Be sure to spend some extra money for a renovated room OR sacrifice a good location/beach for a better room at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Elbow Beach is Bermuda's only luxury beachfront resort. Lanai-style patios are featured with each of our 98 guestrooms and suites, spread amongst 50 acres of tropical gardens sloping down to the longest private pink sand beach on the island. Each of our elegantly appointed rooms and suites have been enhanced with modern in-room entertainment systems, luxurious soft furnishings, iPod docking stations, personal espresso machines and upgraded bathroom facilities. Facilities include a holistic spa, swimming pool, fitness room, recreation lounge, tennis courts and more. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, TravelUp, Booking.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Elbow Beach, Bermuda reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Elbow Beach, Bermuda Hotel Paget
- Mandarin Oriental Paget
- Elbow Beach, Bermuda Paget Parish
- Elbow Beach Hotel Bermuda