“Great potential but service and amenities fall short.”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Paget Parish
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Bermuda is beautiful. The beaches gorgeous and there is no better beach than Elbow beach. Blue crystal waters and soft pink sand are just steps away from your room. This hotel could have been the perfect island getaway if it just received some TLC and an a little more attention by the staff. The main part of this hotel is not in use... It feels a little eerie to see the majestic hotel empty. I believe it is scheduled for renovations but am not sure when. The rooms you stay in are located throughout the properties in little Villas. The rooms are spacious and clean. We have 3 small children and the ability to join rooms with an outside door that could be locked was an added bonus. The service fell short in many areas. The concierge was hit and miss. They slip a daily info sheet under your door listing activities. However sometimes this info was wrong resulting in wasted time and taxi $$. There was never any info on kids club or special kids activities so my children did not participate. There where times where there was music at the beach but it was never publicized. And then there would be music during the day for 5 min and then none. The laundry service was awful, don't use it. For a Mandarin, the service was disappointing.

• Stayed: July 2012
5  Thank Mom3bellasorella
sdier, Public Relations Manager at Elbow Beach, Bermuda, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear Mom3bellasorella,

Many thanks for taking the time to post about your recent stay at Elbow Beach, Bermuda.

We appreciate your kind words about the beauty of Bermuda and our beach, as well as the convenience of the connecting rooms with children.

We are very sorry however that our service did not meet your standards, or those that we endeavor to provide. We also apologize that you were not made aware of the amenities offered by The Camp at Elbow Beach for your children and the live entertainment on Friday evenings. We are taking this feedback very seriously, and will be discussing ways to better communicate with our guests on all the services and amenities the hotel has to offer.

Again, thank you for your kind feedback and we hope to welcome you back to Elbow Beach soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 20, 2012

The resort is beautiful. We stayed in the Bouganvillea (something like that) which is right across from the restaurants and beach (2 minute walk to the beach). Loved the hotel room/ammenities and the turndown service - your room was basically cleaned twice a day (good cause of the sand). Nesperesso machines in the rooms and a mini bar. The restaurants have really good seafood. Mickey's was by far our favorite for lunch and dinner. The seafood salad was amazing (had it every day for lunch) and so is the spicy grilled prawns (these suckers are HUGE). Dinner at Mickeys - the seafood risotto and the mussels and clams were really good as well.

The beach - the nicest beach in Bermuda. Everyone knows it well, and it's PRIVATE. The staff will ask intruders to leave! We had no problem finding lounge chairs in the front row every day and staff walk around the beach (you have to flag them down, because they don't want to bother everyone) so you can order drinks from Mickey's and they are delivered to you at your lounge chair. The beach was not crowded at all (again, PRIVATE beach). I would go back here in a heart beat!

The spa - there was confusion regarding the spa. They claimed I made a reservation early than I did, which was actually not the case. The spa receptionist screwed it up. However when we called an hour before our appointment time regarding this, I don't know why they couldn't see us. I'm thinking the double booked. Anyways, I was quite annoyed. This is a Mandarin Oriental after all. They tried to say "I'm sorry" with a fruit plate. Come on, a red delicious apple served with a cut up orange? That was just insulting. I frequent the Mandarin Oriental in Washington D.C., and it is a much nicer spa than Elbow Beach. I wouldn't do a spa treatment at Elbow Beach again. The Washington D.C. spa is just bigger and has more ammenities to offer.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ExPat0331
sdier, Public Relations Manager at Elbow Beach, Bermuda, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Wendy0331,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from your stay at Elbow Beach.

We're so pleased to hear that you loved your room, the beach and all the delicious seafood at Mickey's. I must admit, the Spicy Grilled Prawns are a favourite of mine as well!

Our sincere apologies for the less than satisfactory service you received from our spa. We take your feedback very seriously and will be discussing the service issues you have highlighted. The spa coordinator extends her apologies to you as well.

We hope to welcome you back to Elbow Beach soon.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

The hotel offers you two experiences, one of great service from its exceptional staff, and one which leaves you wanting of a Mandarin make over. The beach is the jewel of the Island and quickly focuses you on why you are at Elbow beach. The lounge chairs are well spaced so you do not get the overspray of your neighbors sun block and are well serviced by the staff. The rooms while looking like a well worn book from the outside, are well appointed inside with top amenities, linens, a safe, ironing board, nespresso maker, and mini bar. Chickens are roosters will visit your terrace, and provide a wake up call so you can make your tee time, or start an early morning scuba trip. The main hotel rooms are being refurbished, and are perhaps funded by the the $37 dollar price for lip moisturizer that is available elsewhere for under $5.00. Food is of the highest standards for the Island and the wine list offers reasonable priced wines in relationship to the high priced entrees. A $25 resort fee is added per person to your room charge, whether you use the listed inclusions or not. Bermuda is launching a new tourism initiative, that will hopefully lead to investments in the hotel properties on the Island and eventually bring them up to the standards that the brands reflect.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank itsallabout
sdier, Public Relations Manager at Elbow Beach, Bermuda, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Dear itsallabout,

Thank you for the feedback on your recent stay at Elbow Beach! Your kind words about our colleagues are greatly appreciated, and we completely agree, our beach is a "jewel". We feel lucky to have such a spectacular stretch of South Shore for the private use of our guests.

We appreciate your feedback about the prices for items in our Lobby Shop, as well as your note about our resort fee. These items will be discussed by our Management team.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

My wife and I had a somewhat lengthy stay at this marvelous resort and were vastly impressed! From the friendly smiles and warm attitudes of all staff members to the excellent food, this was a lifetime trip to remember. Everyone working at this marvelous hotel were extremely curteous, accomodating and gave exceptional service. After a short time, "everyone knew your name". It was beyond the expectation of reasonable service, actually. Now let's talk the water and the beach. We're from San Diego and we're pretty happy with the beaches of SOCAL, but it doesn't even compare to the quality of water color, beautiful sand and overall festive spirit. Amazingly, the sand doesn't even burn your feet, due to it's volume of pinkish coral that is the largest component. No matter how hot the day was, the sand stayed cool....

Another great surprise was that they accept pets and this was a very important part of our stay. They were very gracious with allowing this and catered to our needs with respect to our pets.

If you want a romantic getaway or just a very relaxing time away from the normal everyday complexities of life.....go to Elbow Beach Mandarin Oriental

Okay, gotta go work out. Ate too much delicious food

Steve and Tiziana

Room Tip: Rooms without the views are just as good as those with one....the staff is very respectful of your p...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Steven S

Dear Steven S,

Thank you so much for all your kind words about your stay at Elbow Beach!

Our colleagues are always thrilled to hear that they've had such a wonderful impact on our guests experience, so thank you for the feedback. We were also pleased to hear that your pets had a wonderful time with us thanks to our "Luxury Pet Policy".

We are very spoiled by the pristine, natural beauty of our beaches and ocean, and we're so pleased you were here to experience them. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

My husband and I returned this afternoon from a 3 night stay at Elbow Beach. I had read every single review before we left -- although my husband thought I was crazy -- so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect. We had recently stayed at the Manderin in Boston and I knew from reviews not to expect that level of service or luxury. I have never taken the time to write a hotel review, but after such an AMAZING weekend I felt compelled to share.

Every single person we encountered was helpful, polite and went out of their way to help us. Every single meal we ate was delicious. Our room (601 Oleander) was a very nice, clean room with a large balcony and a lovely, large bathroom. The beach was amazing. I am typically a pool person and we literally did not spend one minute at the pool because the beach was so pretty and relaxing. We did not leave the resort once during our 4 day stay.

The gym was small, with a few cardio machines and some free weights, but my husband and I were the only people there each morning so getting a machine was not an issue.

I read the reviews complaining about the main hotel being closed, but honestly I see that as a plus. Since the hotel was only utilizing the cottages the place was so quiet and peaceful. We walked the property one morning and literally never saw another person.

I would highly recommend Elbow Beach and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank amy c
sdier, Public Relations Manager at Elbow Beach, Bermuda, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Dear amy c,

We're so glad you were compelled to share!

Thank you so much for your kind words about our colleagues. They pride themselves on true Bermudian hospitality and I'm so glad you got to experience it. I can't say I blame you re: spending all your time on our beach. I'm a pool person too, but our beachfront is so stunning I would have done the same thing. It will always be there waiting for you to return.

We look forward to welcoming you and your husband back soon.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

The room are spacious, clean and well appointed with comfotable beds and quite private, we didn't see or hear anyone else in our little block of 6 rooms.
Beach is clean with plenty of beds and shades, beach attendants are efficient and freindly. All the restaurants are beachside so lunch was a leisurly stroll from the sunbed.
The main hotel accomodation is closed so the lobby, louges and other areas in the main building are quiet, making it a nice place to go for some peace and to cool off.
The main pool has plenty of space with plenty of beds and a big deep pool. another poolside restaurant is a nice lunch venue, the staff at the pool too are polite and attentive.
We ate at two of the restaurants, Mickys great for lunch and dinner, tapas or sushi at Sea Breeze nice food outside and breakfast in the morning although the breakfast room could get really hot with no fans or a/c, like eating in a greenhouse and they wont serve outside, bad point!
All in all its a lovely place, bits are a little dated and tired but the rooms are excellent and the service is top notch.

Room Tip: The rooms with the open style bathrooms are very spacious and extremely comfortable.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Keith S,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay at Elbow Beach!

We're so pleased that you found your room to be spacious and well appointed. Thank you for your kind words about our beach and poolside amenities and colleagues. We're so glad you were able to enjoy so many of our resort's facilities during your stay.

Your note about the temperature in the Sea Breeze Gazebo where breakfast is served is being taken very seriously by our management team. We are now researching solutions to make the temperature in this area more comfortable.

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to Elbow Beach soon.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I have stayed at Elbow Beach several times now, and each visit surpasses the last. I should say that I am not familiar with other Mandarin Oriental hotels - and it would seem from many reviews that if people are disappointed with Elbow Beach, it is because they are using a Mandarin Oriental benchmark. I concede my naivety on that point.

That said, I never fail to spend my entire time at Elbow Beach, completely happy and relaxed - which is what I want from a holiday!! This Hotel is much. much more than a "place to stay" in my mind. The staff are an absolute joy - and have a very British sense of humour!

The beach cannot be beaten. I have been to resorts in the Carribean; the Indian Ocean and the South Pacific, and Elbow Beach beats them all by a mile. The sand and the clear blue water just makes me dread the day I have to fly home!

As a video from Elbow Beach itself concedes, this is not a Hotel that runs with "Swiss precision", but THAT is it's charm! The Bermudian smile can make up for any minor mistake!

I have stayed in the Bougainvillea rooms, which are lovely, but with growing teenage sons, having been upgraded when I extended my stay last year to Sea Grape - the Suites are just amazing! They are not cheap, but maybe as I from London (which is ferociously expensive), to have a view of the sea morning, noon and night - I am happy to pay for a 'cliff top' Suite in the Sea Grape building. Rooms 851 and 856 have a Living Room area (with a huge sofa bed), and a separate large bedroom, with a free standing bath, that it is just a joy!

Housekeeping are brilliant, the Front Desk are immensely welcoming, and all the Bell Desk team are quite frankly "a hoot" as we say in England. The Beach staff could not be nicer, and Mickey's Restaurant and Diner is a contender for Michelin stars!

Whether you are a couple looking for a relaxing break from work, or a family, put your trust in Elbow Beach. If there is a problem - tell them - they really do want you to have a Bermudaful stay! (As they would say!).

Room Tip: Try to book a Suite if you can. Sea Grape is brilliant. If not, Bougainvillea are lovely and so clos...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Pegasus8London
sdier, Public Relations Manager at Elbow Beach, Bermuda, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Dear Pegasus8London,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your stay at Elbow Beach!

Your kind words about all our colleagues mean so much to us, and we're glad you enjoyed their British humour. Our colleagues strive to give our guest's a truly relaxing experience, and we're so glad that is what you had when you returned to stay with us again.

We feel very lucky to have such a spectacular piece of beach for our guest's to enjoy.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Paget Parish
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish
Cambridge Beaches
Cambridge Beaches
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish

Been to Elbow Beach, Bermuda? Share your experiences!