“Beautiful Beach & Fabulous Bathroom”

Elbow Beach, Bermuda
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Paget Parish
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful Beach & Fabulous Bathroom”
Reviewed March 12, 2012

This beach has sand that literally feels like talcolm powder. I should have put some in a ziploc bag to bring home. The water is simply amazing in color; it's like turquoise with a touch of green. My photographs look as though I had a filter on the camera, but no, the color is truely the way you see it in brochure/magazine photos.

The hotel: My guestroom/garden view was very spacious. And I must admit, the bathroom was quite impressive. The shower was huge, let's just call it the "shower room" within the bathroom. I had wished I had brought my measuring tape as I was curious as to the size. The really neat touch was the shower head on the ceiling; it was like rain coming down and at the same time the hand held shower head attached to the wall is raining on you as well. In the center of the bathroom is an old-fashioned style tub, seperate sinks and the commode has it's own little room. The bathroom's two walls are actually floor to ceiling sliding wood doors to leave open or close for privacy. Very neat and well though out design.

The king size bed was one of the top three beds I have ever slept in. The pillows were firm and soft creating the utmost in neck/head comfort while sleeping.

If I had one complaint, which I really don't, I would only say the flat screen TV is a little far from the bed. It's perfectly situated for sitting at the ample size desk...big enough for two to use simultaneously.

Room Tip: All 98 rooms have been recently refurbished. I don't think you can go wrong.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TrueReview10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
New York, NY
Reviewed March 11, 2012

A long-established, storied property in Bermuda, Elbow Beach has the setting, huge staff and central location to draw praise. We prefer this property to Fairmont’s hotels in Hamilton (urban and buttoned-up) and Southampton (a 1960’s-era apartment block far from the beach). My wife and I especially enjoyed beachfront dining in February and our spectacular suite, #851 in the Sea Grape group, that opened directly onto the dunes and the ocean. Standard double rooms, while clean and luxuriously appointed, have a major design flaw: no bathroom privacy given direct bedroom access and louvered doors. We also like the smaller, more intimate Coco Reef, which is down the block and also right on the beach.

Room Tip: #851, Seagrape Suite, opens right on the ocean and is worth every penny.
1 Thank NiceNYer
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I stayed at Elbow Beach February 16 to the 20th. I was a little apprehensive about staying there because of some of the reviews but I was looking for a quick vacation so I decided to take the chance. I've been lucky enough to go on some great vacations over the past year; the Four Seasons in Arizona (great), the Viceroy in Anguilla (amazing) and the Mandarin in Manhattan (expensive but amazing). I was not expecting Elbow Beach to measure up to the Viceroy or NY Mandarin but I was hoping for a nice hotel with quality service and accommodations. Elbow Beach did not deliver.

The resort has a good location and the grounds are very well kept but it has many severe problems. I'll list them here quickly (for those who like quick reviews) and then go into a bit more detail.
1) The front desk and concierge were incompetent and not helpful - It took me almost an hour and a half to check out, the manager was unresponsive and everybody had a different answer for any resort related question we asked.
2) The SPA and Hot tub were closed. (We were not told of this before hand.)
3) The room had an ant problem. (This problem is mentioned in other reviews as well).
4) Hidden fees - the resort charges a service fee on top of tax that was not disclosed on my reservation.

Incompetent service -As I mentioned above it took us almost an hour and a half to check out. Luckily we read another review on trip advisor that warned that check out can be painful so we checked out the night before, otherwise we would have missed our early morning flight. Being at the front desk for over an hour I got to see the parade of problems other guests had to have resolved ranging from reservation issues, room charges to room cleanliness issues. The worst one was a father of three could not get into his room because the lock on the door was malfunctioning. This had been going on for two days and the resort could not fix the problem and would not change his room. Usually in this situation the staff jumps to fix the problem, here a lackadaisical employee called someone to let his family into the room.Upon my return I found that my credit card was charged a higher amount than I was told at checkout. I'm still trying to resolve this.

SPA and Hot Tub - The Spa is currently under renovations and from the look of it it will be a while before they are completed. We were never told this. Instead of the Spa management decided to turn a couple of cabana's into spa rooms. Instead of a lux spa package you basically get an in room massage... This really didn't bother me because we went to the Reefs Resort for our massages and they were incredible, in fact I would recommend that resort over Elbow Beach. However, it would have been nice if we were informed of the construction. The same holds true for the inoperable Hot tub. The Hot tub looked pretty awful anyway (about 4 feet in diameter) but with the temperature in the mid to high 60s it would have been nice to use. The hot tub at the Reefs resort is located next to an infinity pool and looks pretty amazing.

Ants - Like several other reviewers, we recognized that our room had an ant problem. This didn't really bother us but its not expected when the rates are so high for the rooms. As a side point the renovations in the bathroom are nice but they missed things, like installing new shower heads and the room still felt a little grimy.

Hidden Fees - On top of the taxes the resort charges a $10.50 service fee per person per night for the maid service. I did not see this disclosed on their website and my reservation specifically stated there would be no additional fees. The front desk acted like this was customary. I have never heard of this and was a bit annoyed at the nickle and dimming. Basically, after taxes and fees your room will be at least $50 more a night. They also charge for WIFI.

5 Thank Henry B
sdier, Manager at Elbow Beach, Bermuda, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to let us know what you thought of your experience.

Our sincere apologies for the less than satisfactory service you received from the Concierge and Front Desk. We have taken up the issues with our Front of House Manager and she has assured me that she has debriefed her team to avoid any future recurrence and that extra resources are already being applied to the service levels. Such a lack of service is certainly not their usual standard and they extend their apologies to you as well.

In regards to the hot tub and spa, from time to time it becomes necessary to renovate and refurbish to maintain the high standards Elbow Beach sets for itself. We apologize that you were not alerted to this prior to your arrival. As you mentioned, the spa was temporarily relocated so that guests could still enjoy treatments whilst refurbishment of the actual spa was ongoing. The refurbishment of The Spa at Elbow Beach has now been completed and it is open again for business.

Regarding the ants, with 50 acres of gardens and with outdoor patios, keeping all bugs away is a challenge and we have an extensive pest control system in place. We apply extra product to mitigate any problems, but it appears that your room still had some ‘visitors’. Our engineering team has gone over the room once again to ensure that any cracks or openings are fully plugged to avoid any further incursions.

We are sorry that you were not made aware of the daily resort fee prior to checkout. That charge is part of the hotel industry’s collective bargaining process and it is a fee levied based on a collective bargaining agreement and is therefore mandatory. Our confirmation letter should have alerted you to this fact, and we are reviewing this collateral to ensure it is as clear as possible.

Thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.
Fort St. John, Canada
Reviewed March 7, 2012

This was our first time at Elbow Beach. We were pleased with our experience. The staff was friendly and helpful. We stayed in a Premier Room Garden View. The rooms were big, quiet, clean. WI used a facecloth to put my apple on as I read it and then left it in the washroom. The next morning there were lots of little ants all over the place, but I attributed that to the smell of the apple. After that I only noticed one or two ants. The king bed was clean, and comfortable, there's lots of drawer and closet space. We're not big on different coffees so bought instant coffee and make our own. The walk to the beach and back up would be hard on those not in shape. The bus was right outside the resort and for $45 each we got a 7 day pass to travel all over the island. The Lido restaurant was very expensive. We had an appetizer, main course, no wine or dessert and it was $111. So we found other places to eat which were more reasonable. In choosing this hotel there had been comments on how good Micky's restaurant was but as we were there in the off season it wasn't opened. If you wanted to use your computer in your room you had to pay daily for the WIFI. If you went to the library you could use a desktop for free. Not as convenient but would have been nice to have free WiFi
All in all it was a good experience and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: I would choose a garden view as Bermuda is very windy and the garden rooms are more sheltered.
2 Thank Janice M
Reviewed February 18, 2012

Contemporary elegance with Bermudian charm. Exceptionally friendly and helpful staff who quickly learned our preferences during our week's stay. Stunning and central location. Recently renovated rooms are lovely, with gorgeous views and huge bathrooms. Spa and restaurant facilities rounded out a very memorable experience. Best beach walks on the island. Highly recommend this resort!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Haligonian1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 14, 2012

This hotel has lots of things going for it, great beach and grounds, friendly staff and good accomodation, though there are a few minor bugs (in some cases literally) that take away from the overall luxury feel of the resort.

I would suggest that the manager of the resort stays a few nights in one of his rooms, to iron out some of the minor problems that together can become quite tiresome.

Starting in the W/C, which has a louvred door leading into the open plan sink / bedroom - now no-one really wants to see / hear what goes on in that room! Also the light in the shower room is on a timer, which leaves you in pitch darkness if you dally too long in there. The audio in the bathroom didn't work, and loo paper was single ply prison standard.

The bedroom itself was very comfortable, leading out to a small but adequate and comfortable patio. We were unfortunately infested with ants on 5 of our 10 days. A good supply of coffee was provided, and the mini-bar could be emptied and used for personal items.

Cleaning was good but not great, floors were a little stained and grubby, and bird guano that was on the decking was not removed during the duration of our stay.

Incidentally, if you are not an animal lover, you may not like the friendly but feral cats and chickens who troop by the dozen up to see you when sitting on your patio.

The restaurants on site are privately owned (I.E. They have nothing to do with Mandarin Oriental), I would say the food and drink we tried was very good quality with good service, but you can do better to eat and drink in local towns for much less money.

Would I stay again? Yes! But this resort is by no means perfect, and could work towards having the real Wow! Factor given the location and possibilities for improving the accomodation.

Room Tip: Seaview is nice, but check if you can, as some have a busy service road running right in front of th...
4 Thank ShakyStevens
Needham, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 5, 2012

Thirty-eight years ago my husband and I honeymooned at the original Elbow Beach. I realize times change and to keep up with the times so must hotels. However it should be changes for the better not destroying a historic icon.
My husband and I arrived at Elbow Beach over Labor Day Weekend.Registration was in the hotel which upon opening the doors smelt very strong of mold and neglect. We knew our room would be a Jr. suite near the beach but had no idea that the Mandarin Oriental Chain was letting the original building just sit and decay. It is a historic building soon to be beyond repair.
Our suite was located just above the beach, a great location but the room was not up to standard as far as cleanliness.The maid had left a dirty washcloth in the shower and used bottles of shampoo and cream. Over the next four days of our stay we had numerous problems with the cleaning staff and at check out, our bill. Upon checkout they had billed us $$$ over what we had booked the hotel. Our rate was suppose to include continental breakfast. We almost missed our flight home because the only person at the desk was a trainee who was unable to correct the bill. The hotel is not an elegant five star resort.
I would no longer recommend it as a top Bermuda hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Sandys Parish
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to Elbow Beach, Bermuda? Share your experiences!