“Awesome Hotel with an Amazing View”

Newstead Belmont Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Paget Parish
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Although we visited Bermuda during their off-season for tourism, the quality of service was exceptional.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 5, 2011

My wife and i stayed at the hotel over the christmas holiday and found the stay positive and negative. The hotel is in great condition with breathtaking views. We stayed in a lower cottage and could hear the above geust everytime they walked across the wooden floors and flushed the toilet. Needless to say this was very noisey and annoying. The staff was very helpful and pleasant. The food was good but over priced, the hotel doesn't have any onsite activities or entertainment.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2010

Four of us stayed for 6 nights in a 2 bedroom suite over Thanksgiving.

Here are the pros:
- Paula, the concierge. She is wonderful! The best in Bermuda.
- The rooms are large and beautiful.
- The free ferry shuttle is a great amenity, although we did not use it much because it didn't coincide with our schedule often. The public ferry dock is right next to the Newstead, so that is very convenient also. We usually stay on the south shore when we go to Bermuda, but since the beaches weren't as important to us this time a year, Newstead was a great and convenient location to Hamilton.
- My DH had two great massages at the spa. The spa is beautiful!
- No additional charge for high speed internet.

The cons:
- My #1 complaint for our stay was that the hot tub was broken the whole time we were there. No one had any idea when it would be fixed. Because the temps are cooler in Bermuda this time of year you can't use the pool so it would have been wonderful to have the hot tub. I have been to Bermuda enough times to know that it's not like America and you can't get people to come out and fix things easily. However, not having the hot tub was a huge disappointment.
- Ants. As the week progressed we had more and more. By the time we left it was a full-out ant invasion. Again, I've been to Bermuda enough to not be bothered by a few insects. I laugh at other TripAdvisor reviews where people freak out because they saw a cockroach in their room in Bermuda. The problem I have with ants in relation to the Newstead is that we requested ant traps and our request was completely ignored. They said, "no problem, we'll get you some", and the ant traps never showed up.
- The jacuzzi in the room. I took a jacuzzi bath a couple of times and there was lots and lots of sediment that came out of the pipes. Apparently they do not clean them properly. My bad for being silly enough to try to take a second jacuzzi bath after the first experience. Why bother to have a jacuzzi in the room if it's filthy?
- Breakfast is very monotonous and expensive.
- Sunday brunch was great, however, my DH requested a table that was away from the jazz musicians so we could hear each other talk. They said all the tables were reserved. We chose to eat outside even though it was windy and cool. We spent over an hour eating our brunch. When we left, all the empty tables inside were still empty... apparently waiting for the people with reservations to arrive.
- For some strange reason we had to deal with drunk people for a couple of the nights we were there. One of the nights they were staying on the floor above us and they were running around, slamming doors and making a lot of noise. We saw them come out of their room the next morning and it was a group of young women apparently out for a girls get away.

We got a great deal for our stay at the Newstead (stay 2 nights, get the 3rd night free). It's still an expensive hotel, but everything in Bermuda is expensive. If we had paid full price then I would have been more disappointed. There are actually a lot of good things about the Newstead, but I think it was just coincidence that some of the issues happened during our stay.

Helpful hint: if you get one of the Deluxe rooms, be aware that you will hear all the outside noise of people walking by the room. This will affect your sleep quality.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank MerrimackMrs
Reviewed November 23, 2010

First let me tell you as soon as I pulled up to the hotel I was amazed by the view. As you are walking into the front desk you can not help but take a minute to look out onto the Hamilton Harbor. The fornt desk is all glass, it is amazing. I wish that I could see that view on a daily bassis. I was greeted at the front desk checked in got my keyes and went to my room. The front desk agent was very friendly and advsied me that if I need anything at all to give them a call. I did not have much baggage with me so I took my own bag to the room. I opened the door to my room which was a one bedroom suite and my breath was taken away. The room was huge! Very clean huge separate jacuzzi tubs from showers etc etc. The furniture was very nice as well along with the kitchen which a feel in love with. I love to cook so to have a kitchen like that was treat for me. There was also a huge balcony with some very nice patio furniture. My view looked over the infiniti pool which was also amzing. I will deffinately be back and can see Newstead being my second home. With friendly service and clean rooms and a wonderful view you can not beat that!!!! :)

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We just returned from 6 fabulous, but way too short days at the Newstead and can’t say enough good things about this hotel! This is where we’ll stay for all of our returns to Bermuda!

Our room was a one bedroom suite with a full kitchen and I’m already planning our return trip so I can actually do some cooking a couple of nights. We went out for dinner each night of our trip, but now that we’ve actually been there I would have loved to spend a night or two making a relaxing meal and eating out on the deck / balcony. We did eat at Beau Rivage one night and it was nice. But to be honest, we had much better meals elsewhere (Barracuda Grill was definitely the best meal of the trip and Blu was also terrific). The infinity pool was perfect with gorgeous views of the harbor. We didn’t take advantage of the spa or fitness facilities this time around, so I can’t really comment on those.
We found the location to be wonderful. We were a quick 5 minute free ferry ride to Hamilton and when that isn’t running the regular ferry stop is a short walk from the hotel. We figured out the bus system this time too and found that to be very convenient. There is a bus stop pretty close to the hotel, but I’m not a big fan of walking around on Bermuda’s narrow roads. So – we took the hotel ferry into Hamilton and then jumped on a bus there to just about anywhere we wanted to go. The hotel ferry also drops you right at the Hamilton Ferry terminal where you can go to the Dockyard or St George. We did take a few taxis too, which were also fine. The beach isn’t a big priority for us, so we didn’t mind that there is no beach. However – the hotel will shuttle you to Horseshoe Bay (public beach) as well as the Coco Reef Resort for their private beach. We did visit the beaches one day and didn’t time it very well so we missed the shuttle – but we took a taxi to Warwick Long Bay, had a great beach walk from there down to Horseshoe Bay (passing Jobson’s cove and other great beaches and coves along the way) and took a bus back to the hotel.

Finally, but just as important, is the staff at the Newstead. Paula – the Concierge – was a terrific help to me for months leading up to our trip. She answered my numerous e-mails and questions promptly, arranged our airport transfers, made all of our dinner reservations and was extremely helpful! Eric, the bellman was fantastic. He gave us a tour upon our arrival and was so nice throughout the week. Captain Lionel on the hotel ferry was the best – I left a sweater on the ferry one night on our way to Hamilton for dinner and he made sure I got it back first thing in the morning. And last – but most certainly not least – Charlie the bartender at the pool. Charlie made the best drinks, was always nice and helpful and made all of our pool time very enjoyable.

My only regret is that we didn’t plan on spending more time at the hotel on this trip - although much more time at the bar with Charlie may have been dangerous :-) Sorry for the long review – but lots of good things to say :-) All in all a great trip and we would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fensty
Reviewed October 10, 2010

The hotel was nice and clean, the room had a wonderful view. I liked the chocolates on the pillow with turndown. During our stay there were several fire alarms which were annoyingly loud. I wish they had told us at check in that there was complementary breakfast at the hotel. Our first day there the hotel restaurant was closed and for 2 days of our stay the ferry wasn't operating due to bad weather or because of the holiday. The location of the hotel is quite out of the way, not too close to anything, so be prepared to take taxis for most excursions. The bus route is a bit of a walk and the roads in Bermuda are not very pedestrian friendly. I did use the exercise room, it was OK, equipped with the basics. I also had a prenatal massage and pedicure. I was disappointed in both.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank marleenj
Reviewed September 14, 2010

We enjoyed the swimming pool with the children and the great meals at the french restaurant. Great spa and salon for pampering! The Newstead "Carolyn", a launch carried us across the Hamilton Harbour in minutes to the shops. A Newstead bus to Horseshoe Beach was a hit! A clean and well groomed resort. My wife really like the Doorman!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1 mi away
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
#3 of 5 in Paget Parish

Been to Newstead Belmont Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!