Newstead Belmont Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Paget Parish
Reviewed August 29, 2010

5 nights in Bermuda was the perfect amount of time for our first trip without our son. Numerous times I thought about how easily the Newstead lended itself to both lovers and family. We loved the convenience of our suite with a full kitchen, large bathroom and private patio. Between the pool, the spa, the restaurant, and beautiful views you can be happy at the Newstead all day. We particularly appreciated it's central location and the complimentary ferry to Hamilton. There were lots of advantages of Newstead's location: the views of the bay and Hamilton were spectacular, the convenience of getting around, the quietude, and protection from storms. Tropical storm Colin visited while we were there, and there was no concern for where we were located. We explored all ends of the island visiting beaches, museums, forts, and meeting the incredibly friendly people of Bermuda.
The Newstead's staff was amazing. Eric greeted us when we arrived from the airport and provided us with what felt like "insider information" to get the most out of our stay, and remembered us each day. Every one of his recommendations were spot on. We had reservations to rent scooters on the day Colin was to arrive. The front desk agent called to let us know about the storm and to see if we wanted to keep or cancel the reservation, which was very thoughtful! The housekeeping staff was efficient and friendly. One day my husband accidentally pushed a button refusing service. When we turned the light out, housekeeping arrived within 2 minutes to take care of all of our needs. Friday nights they have happy "hour" until 9 pm with live music. We had planned to go to Hamilton that night, but we were able to get our dancing in without leaving the property!
With only a 2 hour flight from the eastern seaboard, it's easily accessible. The Bermuda beaches were amazingly beautiful and not over populated. The people were genuinely helpful and friendly. The food was excellent. I would highly recommend a trip to Bermuda whether travelling alone, on a romantic holiday, or family vacation. The Newstead is the place to stay for whatever takes you to Bermuda. We will stay there again on our next trip.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 28, 2010

Facilities were beautiful. Staff were extremely helpful and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 25, 2010

I had occasion to stay at Newstead recently with my son. The property is beautifully located on the water looking across to Hamilton. Andrew at teh front desk provided a warm welcome and Paula the concierge had arranged all our sctivities including, golf, scuba, and transportation.
Newstead is new and has been built and equipped to a hign standard, the views are stunning and the service is excellent. I particularly enjoyed the breakfasts in Beau Rivage their restaurant and golf at their course nearby called Belmont Hills. The property also has a very nice catamarn shuttle which takes you to Hamilton and back (most convenient)
While they have ownership opportunities these are offerted unobtrusively and in a subtle fashion, with the way property prices are headed in Bermuda it could be a good investment.
Thanks Newstead.
Great stay and great staff

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2010

We've traveled to many places, and we were looking sooo forward to coming to Newstead in Bermuda.

Unfortunately it was quite the disappointment. First off the Hotel was to arrange private transportation for us and when we got to Bermuda there wasn't any. We took a cab instead.

When we got to the hotel Paula at the desk acted like it wasn't her problem and kinda of like oh well guess the transportation company screwed up... that annoyed me because it was the hotel’s responsibility to arrange the private transportation.

None the less, our room was clean and on the highest floor with nice views but the bed was extremely uncomfortable.

My big issue is really with the lack of service, the pool bar closes at 6pm. The ferry stops at 7pm on the weekends so u can't even hop on it to go to town.
But wait… the ferry does stop at 9pm on the weekdays - which is still ridiculous cause who is done with dinner at 9pm if ur on vaca?? You're pretty much stuck at the hotel where the food is expensive & terrible!!! And there is no place to walk for ice cream 

No Beach!! They only have buses to take you to the very PUBLIC horseshoe beach (that we found locals actually bathing themselves) And the towels and chairs that are provided to you with complimentary vouchers from the hotel are gross!! Stains and all!!! That was a nightmare. BTW – these buses only took you to beach at 9am and 12pm.

My recommendation is to go to ARUBA instead... but if you have to go to Bermuda then I would say to stay either in Hamilton possibly the Fairmount or on the beach possibly Elbow beach Resort which was taken over by the Mandarin Oriental.

Do not waste your money for Newstead unless ur a golfer… and if ur a golfer then u should rent and stay in one of the condos on the Golf course where the Restaurant BLU is located. Blu wasn't a bad place to eat.... is was a nice atmosphere.

But again if you've never been before.. I recommend Aruba.... best place there is the Hyatt!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank RoseNYC22
KSB084, Front Office Manager at Newstead Belmont Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2010

Thank you for visiting Bermuda and choosing Newstead Belmont Hills Golf Resort & Spa. We would like to extend our sincerest apologies for not meeting you overall expectations. We appreciate your feedback and will take all into consideration. Taking the time out to share your thoughts means a lot to us, as it will give us the opportunity to improve the overall guest experience.

Reviewed August 3, 2010

My husband and I travel a lot. We've stayed in many hotels in many different countries, and I have to say, that the Newstead Belmont is one of the best hotel stays I've ever experienced. Here's why:

The room was a beautiful contemporary suite with double doors that opened up to a view of the St. Hamilton Parrish. I loved the decor and it was so well kept. The room looked brand new and was spotless. I have a hard time sleeping in hotels, but the beds in our room were very comfortable. The air conditioning worked really well and kept the room nice and cool -- which I really appreciated since it was so hot and muggy outside. I also loved the beautiful kitchen which allowed us to eat in our room if we felt like it.

The hotel ammenities were fabulous -- a gorgeous infinity pool, a spa, and an incredible golf course. We used it all. One of the things I really appreciated was the hotel shuttle that took us to and from the best beach on the island, and the hotel water taxi that took us to St. Hamilton. It made getting to and from our daily destinations so much easier.

The room and the amenities were wonderful, but here's what I loved most about the Newstead -- the customer service. The staff treated us so well. Everyone was very nice and went above and beyond to help us. I would have to say that this was the best customer service I've ever experienced at a hotel.

I definitely recommend that if you plan a trip to Bermuda, you stay here. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank crystalbeutler
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Holiday in Bermuda in July. What a fabulous experience!

I visited Bermuda a few times over the last 20 years. I always left remembering the gorgeous beaches but felt that this was a place, an island caught in another time - I was not impressed with the hotels, restaurants & food choices. And I remember being bothered by too many cruise ships landing.

In July, to celebrate my mothers 85th birthday, I thought Bermuda might be a wonderful trip for her----easy to get to from the East Coast; Bermuda accepts US currency everywhere, and it would be pretty.

Well, all of this is true. Easy flights from Boston, NYC, Washinton DC. My mother, aunt, and cousin flew from Washington. I flew over on JetBlue from Boston. Customs was sweet. No hawkers at airport. Very civil. Organized.

Booked Newstead Belmont Hills for a long weekend after reading Trip Advisor (as usual. Ive been a member since theyve been on the Web.) I wanted a place that was newer (for me) yet offered accomodation where we could all be together. I booked their 2 bedroom cottage.

Newstead isnt really like the old Bermuda cottage hotels. It is more like a long low-lying hotel. But, it really worked for us, because it was much more convenient for my older mother & her sister. Also, Newstead sits on the Harbor, not on the Beach. Some might find this not as convenient. We loved it!

The hotel is very new. Wonderful modern rooms, dark woods, light linens. Top of the line mod-cons, bathroom . Excellent storage. Three balconies look straight out on to Harbor.

Our 2 bedroom had a living room/ perfect size kitchenette with the two bedrooms shooting off. My mother and aunt were in the room with 2 queen beds. They had flat screen, their own balcony, and bath.

My cousin and I shared the King ( like old times when we were young ) Master room.
Lovely room. Wonderful bath suite with ample storage. Flat screen. A/C.

I had the concierge order a few groceries for us to store in the fridge. Bread, cheese, butter, juice, fruit. Wine, crackers. We had breakfast every morning on our balconies.
This worked very well for our group. The older women didnt have to rush to dress & be out the door for a more formal breakfast. And my cousin & I hung out, chatted and read.

Through the concierge service I booked all our evening dinners. The concierge service at Newstead was superb. And I mean this. I travel quite a bit & try to use concierge services.
Some are good. Some are too busy. But Paula and Andrew were amazing!

They:
stocked my groceries & took back wine I didnt use
Allowed my mother and aunt to check in early due to their age.
Booked , cancelled and re-booked restaurants for me
Allowed me to stay longer in my room because my departure was late afternoon
And continued to look over us through out the long weekend.

Newstead has a very handy ferry we took advantage of & the bellman helped walk my mother down to the dock. I highly recommend taking advantage of the ferry service throughout Bermuda. It is not expensive, fast, and good condition. Ferries take you over to Hamilton & then head north to St. George and south to the Docks. Great way for anyone infirmed, handicapped, or elderly to get around.

We took taxis at other times, and not the buses, again, due to the age of my mother.
I didnt find the taxis too expensive, but I live in Boston. Taxis are also a great way to view the island if you are past the age of motorbikes.

Friday we just hung around the pretty infinity pool and watched the sailboats & ferries on the Harbor right in front of us. We had good tasting Swizzlers at the pool bar & were in time for their Happy Hour.

Friday night we went to Paulas recommendation, Splendido. Excellent. Fabulous views.
Set in an interesting old home, and we were taken out to a large stone patio overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Fantastic service. Brought my mother dessert with Happy Birthday written around the plate. Yes, expensive, but I didnt feel it was over the top expensive for lousy food. My mothers Sole was superb. Her best meal on the island. They couldnt do enough.

I will write further reviews of my other trip points and restaurants in other areas of TA, but I did want to say that Paulas recommendations were spot-on. Different every night and breathtaking.

Our days were spent sight-seeing. It was hot in July. But, we didnt mind. There is a shuttle from the hotel to Horseshoe Beach. It is free. When you get to the beach, there are umbrellas, chairs, towels, changing rooms & baths. Excellent. I didnt find it difficult to not be on the beach.

Likewise, there is an airport shuttle attached to Newstead. I recommend this too.

All in, fantastic experience. I did not find it musty, or the a/c loud. But, I DO recommend requesting rooms on their top floor: which is their 3rd floor. Better views. The rooms on the ground floor are nearer the equipment rooms, and the halls do smell a bit.

But, our experience was wonderful. Highly recommend this hotel. Thanks to all you TAers for your help.

Hope this review helps too.

kok/boston

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
5  Thank KateOK
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Absolutely perfect, priceless view across the bay from Hamilton, excellent food, service is top notch.
Free FAST wireless internet in each room.
Watch out for phone calls! They can easily add up to the price of your room. Your cell is much cheaper from anywhere.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish
Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Hamilton Parish

Been to Newstead Belmont Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!