“Delightful hotel with mostly excellent service”

Newstead Belmont Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Paget Parish
London
“Delightful hotel with mostly excellent service”
Reviewed June 12, 2009

Beautiful hotel in a great location. You're within a 15 minute walk of the beach or can spend time by the great pool overlooking the harbour. If you want to go into town, then the hotel has a little ferry which will take you across in 2 minutes. Rooms are spacious, beautifully furnished and have everything you might need. Plenty of space for clothes (2 wardrobes), seating and an extremely comfortable bed. Beware the bed, though. The wooden base is much bigger than the mattress and we both came back with bruises and bumps on our legs!
The staff are extremely helpful and friendly without being overbearing. I did witness one poor example of service in the restaurant one morning where I heard a guest request a bagel instead of toast. This was declined as apparently a bagel is "more expensive than toast". Given the price people are paying to stay in this hotel, I thought this was petty and short sighted. Otherwise a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ElizabethF

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Salt Lake City
Reviewed May 25, 2009

When we travel, we like things to feel personable, comfortable and local. We may be tourists, be we don't want to feel like tourists, or be surrounded by crowds of them.

That's why the Newstead was an absolute delight. Every staff member we met was excellent, professional and friendly. Our one-bedroom suite was very well appointed, and the water views across the harbor, especially at sunset, were breathtaking.

We were very happy about the complimentary water shuttle that took us back and forth from the hotel to Hamilton. It was a nice convenience.

The property has two restaurants--one on site and one at the golf course. Both had great views of the sun setting over the harbor. The food was excellent, but if we had to recommend one, I think we preferred our experience at Blu, at the golf course.

The pool and the garden-like setting around the Newstead are really great. We loved sitting on the balcony in the evening, looking at the lights of Hamilton, and listening to the tree frogs. Hard to come home after that.

My wife spent more time at the Spa than I did, although we both had excellent massages. She also had some kind of skin treatment that involved white chocolate, coffee grounds and who knows what else? She raved about it and I certainly couldn't argue with how she smelled. I also played 18 holes at the golf course. It's a very enjoyable course, with a great layout and views.

One other thing; we so appreciated having a full kitchen in our room. It's so nice to be able to put a few things in the fridge and not have to make an effort for every meal, especially breakfast. There's a grocery store nearby where we found everything we like, including our favorite cereals and even our brand of soy milk. Little things like that count a lot for us.

All in all, we had a wonderful experience at the Newstead, and would not hesitate to recommend it, even to the pickiest traveler. We'll be back for sure.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mohzer
Annapolis, MD
Reviewed May 21, 2009

My husband and I went to Bermuda for our honeymoon. I had been there 3 times before (stayed at Marriott Castleharbor, now gone, and Fairmont Southampton Princess) and knew Bermuda was the place I wanted to go for our honeymoon. I also knew that for our honeymoon, I wanted a resort to really "knock our socks off"-- luxurious, accomodating, and completely indulgent. We were psyched to see that the Mandarin Oriental had bought Elbow Beach, and reserved one of their " newly renovated oceanfonrt cottages." We checked in and checkout out on the same day. What a disappointment to arrive for your honeymoon and spend the entire first day searching for a new hotel.

Fortunately, we were tipped off (by the bellman at Elbow Beach, actually) that the Newstead Belmont Hills was renting their avilable suites. We called the Newstead and were immediately treated with respect, understanding, and accomodation. They even sent their valet ("the little white van") to pick us up at Elbow Beach and take us to Newstead for a tour and look at available rooms. (Was great to save on cab fare.)

We immediately fell in love with the Newstead Belmont Hills. Paula, the concierge, was wonderful. She knew us by name and even left a surprise bottle of wine and cheese/fruit plate in our room midweek with a personalized note. Very classy. She recommended restaurants and local spots to check out, keeping our preferences in mind.

The suite where we stayed was a one bedroom, one and a half bath with huge marble bathroomm complete with large whirlpool tub, separate glass/marble shower, and separate kimmode. The wall separating the master bath from the master bedroom was made of glass, so that you could view the harbor from the bathtub. The bedroom as well as the open, spacious kitchen/dining room/living room all had wonderful views of Hamilton Harbour.

We had a huge balcony/deck that extended across the length of the unit and had dark wicker lounge chairs as well as a four-person matching table and chairs; great for breakfast in the sun.

Our kitchen was amazing-- granite countertops and dark wood cabinets, stocked with four of each (wine glasses, water glasses, salad plates, dinner plates, bowls, forks, spoons, knives, etc.). There were pots and pans and a decent sized refrigerator with separate freezer, and a stove and microwave if you wanted to stay in and cook. The dishwasher (yes, a dishwasher!) was clean and new and was run daily by housekeeping.

One of my favorite touches was in the evening, for turn down service, the maid would put on the "fish channel," which was this calming underwater camera with views of reef life, set to relaxing Enya-like music. It was so nice to come home to after a night out for dinner and drinks.

The infinity pool overlooked the harbour and had a great pool bar. Charles, the bartender, made great drinks and they served complimentary hors d'ouevres for Happy Hour. Our favorite was his "jealous coconut." The great part about the pool and bar is that it wasn't crowded, so you could relax and kick back without a ton of kids running around and splashing; at the same time the laid-back owners (the suites are considered "fractional ownership" and the owners each have 2 weeks at a time, 4 times per year) mix and mingle with the people staying there as hotel guests.

The workout room, tennis courts, and spa were also convenient and very nice.

I could go on forever. Let's just say that in a few years when my husband and I have saved up a little extra money, we will seriously consider becoming one of the fractional owners.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank UpscaleTaste
Florida
Reviewed May 9, 2009

May 2009 - Just returned from a fabulous stay in Bermuda at a relatively new resort that is the sleeper of the decade! The Newstead Belmont Hills Golf Resort and Spa, in Paget Bermuda.
The setting: directly on Hamilton Harbor across from the Princess. An outdoor swimming pool/jaccuzzi that seemingly cascades over a falls into the sea; magnificent all-glass reception - check in lounge with views of Hamilton and the harbor; private ferry with service to just about any place in/around Hamilton harbor; accommodations from Studio suites to larger units with multiple bedrooms. Ours was a deluxe studio in a cottage as close to the water as one could possibly want, full kitchen facilities, dishwasher, frig, large bath, etc. etc. And, an attached outdoor yard (garden) with chaise lounge to enjoy the views and weather.
And, the service was incredible! Daily maid service, linen/towel changes, shuttle van for trips to beautiful Horseshoe Bay beach,
etc. If you are thinking about Bermuda or the Carib, check out this place first. You won't regret it.

Al in Fla.

5 Thank Samegem
Boston
Reviewed April 29, 2009

I had the absolute pleasure of spending 3 nights in a guest cottage at the Newstead Belmont Hills Hotel. From the moment I arrived on the property until the moment I left, I felt like a celebrity - each member of the staff was extremely outgoing, friendly and eager to please.

I stepped into the cottage and was spellbound: the rooms were so light and all the glass gave the place such an open feeling. The kitchenette was well-equipped: refrigerator, large microwave, 2-burner stove top, small sink, and coffee maker. Cabinets stocked with glasses, cups, saucers, plates and silverware for two. Pots, pans and cooking utensils too.

The large room was separated into a sleeping area (Bose radio!), a chair and ottoman with a reading lamp in the corner, TV opposite which could be watched from the bed, chair or table. The mattress was fabulous! Plenty of quality lighting. There was a small "table for 2" that provided adequate space for my computer and work, and a spectacular view of the harbor (which made it difficult to work!)

Dare I admit that besides the view, the bathroom was the best part?? For starters, the room was huge! A lovely vanity table with a large wall mirror, plus a lighted makeup mirror. Modern glass bowl sink and lots of counter space for toiletries. The Jacuzzi tub was extra long and was such a treat after long days. The wall between the tub and the bedroom was glass - this added to the openess of the space (wooden blinds on the bedroom side can be closed for privacy) Plenty of lighting in here too; separate switches for the sink area, vanity, and tub.

I took my breakfast at Beau Rivage each morning, and had one dinner meal there. Great service and an elegant atmosphere. The staff was professional to perfection, yet weren't stuffy.

I didn't want to leave! On all future business and pleasure trips to Bermuda, The Newstead Belmont Hills will be my only choice for accomodations.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank fishchickie
Bermuda
Reviewed April 29, 2009

My daughter and I stayed in one of your suites on Easter Sunday. We both, took a step back and inhaled when we walked in the room. Of course we had to open every cupboard and got the camera out immediately. It had been a very busy day so we lounged, watched TV, had a delicious roomservice dinner and I took the first deep bath that I have had in ages... water being so precious.. It was truly a treat.

• Stayed April 2009
1 Thank Bermudagirl2
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 28, 2009

Newstead is just what you want in Bermuda -- the look and feel of "old" Bermuda, but with the accommodations being modern, spacious and fresh. The setting is world class and the views at sunset over the harbor are without equal on the island. The staff went the extra mile to make sure we had everything we needed for a great vacation. Can't say enough about the great meals we had at Beau Rivage and the wine list is first rate. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,048 reviews

Been to Newstead Belmont Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!