“Well-run and friendly, with great views”

Newstead Belmont Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Paget Parish
Reviewed May 2, 2011

We knew it was a good sign when, several days before our scheduled arrival at the Newstead Belmont Hills, the hotel concierge telephoned us from Bermuda to confirm that a couple of special requests we had made via email (including transportation from the airport) were noted and taken care of. When our plane landed, a driver was waiting with our name on a placard. Our room was nicely decorated and impeccably clean. All the rooms have beautiful views of Hamilton Harbour. The hotel restaurant -- French, which is rare on the island -- was very good. Staff members at all levels -- manager, concierge, bell service, housekeeping -- were responsive and friendly. Not just the reserved politeness sometimes encountered in British-influenced environments, but more open and "real." (We found this to be a characteristic of Bermudian culture.) The fitness center is spacious and well-equipped. The hotel has no appreciable negatives from our perspective. Be aware that the hotel grounds are located separately from the golf course and beach, however, so you will need to take a short shuttle if you plan to use those facilities. Also, although crime seems to be relatively minor in Bermuda, I would give the same advice here as I do for most hotels anywhere: to minimize any possibility of a thief trying to get in through the sliding glass doors, consider avoiding ground-floor rooms when you make your reservation. Bottom line: we loved this place, and if / when we return to Bermuda, we will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SMPII

Reviewed May 2, 2011

Purchased a suite for my stay.
I was hosting a little get together with a few people that day.
I chose this location as I had attended some great suite parties at newstead in the past.

CONS

***Note: If you are under the age of 30, you may have a similar experience. As I got the impression that younger guests were expected to be "irresponsible & unruly" guests. I am far from that description, but sure did feel like I was being labelled as such.

Wasn't happy that the front desk got on my case before i even physically checked in the room , querying the amount of guests I was expecting, and informing me that I should not be having parties on the premises (she noticed all the groceries I had). After I explained it was not "that type of party" she retreated back to her post.

Not even 2 hours after I checked in the room, the front desk agent called my room to query whether RANDOM hotel guests which had simply walked passed the reception area were heading to my room. (i'm pretty sure I told her my get together was at 8pm. Check in was at 3p and she called me @5pm). Nevertheless, I was not happy and I have a strong feeling she does not question other guests with the same BS.

Included with the suite I stayed in, was an outdoor yard. The agent had also infomred me on the phone that I need to tell MY guests to stay off the grass! This is for a room I paid $500+ to be in - for one night. That pissed me off.

She then mentioned secuirty would be patrolling around my room (as standard procedure). Needless to say, that pissed me off too.

PROS

The room was beautiful.
The grass oustaide was lovely (even though I wasn't allowed to touch it).
My function was a blast.
And the shower gel smelled nice.

Would I stay there again? Yes - if I could avoid speaking to that particular front desk agent.

Room Tip: Book room with an agent over 30yrs old.
Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank metraa
Reviewed May 1, 2011

We stayed for 3 nights after staying at the reefs for 6 nights. The deluxe room was lovely with a beautiful and sizezable balcony. It is positioned across the harbour from central Hamilton and runs a shuttle service on all days apart from Sunday. It wasn't cheap but nowhere in Bermuda is, although the April deal where you buy 2 nights and get a 3rd free helps.
The only thing that let it down in my eyes vs the reefs was the service. Apart from Andrew at the front desk I didn't find them especially personable. The waiters and bar staff were all efficient and helpful especially Yadi and Charlie.
If you need access to Hamilton and want to play some golf I would certainly recommend. If a beach on your doorstep is vital, I would go with the reefs.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed March 28, 2011

My Mother and I stayed at Newstead Belmont for a week in later March. We had a lovely 1 bedroom suite with a smallish kitchen, dining room and living room. Large king size bedroom and a nice bathroom area with free standing shower, whirlpool with a separate water closet. A very large balcony overlooked the harbor and was accessible from both the living room and bedroom.
The people were just wonderful, Valene (sp?) in housekeeping and Paula at the front desk were very kind and warm.
Some small issues with the anemic water pressure in the shower and thin walls between units. Slightly larger issue with the free shuttle to and from Hamilton. The site is geared to business travellers so the shuttle runs in the morning till just after 11 and does not start again till after 5. This left us without the handy option for the mid-day hours. We took the public ferry which is close by but is accessed by some stairs which my mature Mother had some issues with. We ended up taking many taxies which were found easily enough though after a full week, we spent well over $100.
There were some sites to see and shopping on the Paget Parish side of the island but the majority of shopping is done across the harbor in Hamilton.
I would definitely stay there again now knowing what I need to work around.

• Stayed: March 2011
2  Thank LynnefromNH
Reviewed February 9, 2011

The Newstead Belmont Hills Golf Resort & Spa Bermuda, was nothing short of first class all the way around. The guest service team always seemed to be a step ahead of our needs, and they were all professional & courteous. The Rooms were immaculately cleaned everyday, and turndown service was fast and unintrusive. Our location was perfect, with one of the best views on the island, and we were 20 from our farthest destination each way. The best part about the Resort was the way that all our needs were catered to, and the affordability was unreal!!! I am going back again, and would highly recommend this resort to anyone looking for top dollar luxuries, at bottom dollar price.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank Middle_Chamber
Reviewed February 3, 2011

We have stayed at the Newstead several times over the past year and a half. We have loved it each time. The staff are helpful and efficient. The food is great. The location is wonderful. We would highly recommend the Newstead.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank r_nels46
Reviewed January 30, 2011

Although we visited Bermuda during their off-season for tourism, the quality of service was exceptional.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
#2 of 2 in Hamilton Parish
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
#3 of 5 in Paget Parish

Been to Newstead Belmont Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!