Granaway Guest House & Cottages
Watercolours(Warwick Parish)
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
  • Free Internet
All reviewsother guestsferry stopeach morningthe buscaptain's roomfresh fruitbelmont hills golf courselovely roomwonderful poolnew friendsmature gardensseparate cottageoverlooking the waterbeautiful oceanshort walkbreakfast tablesized bed
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I stayed here several months ago on a short business trip to Bermuda. The owners were friendly and gracious, the room nicely decorated and comfortable and had a wonderful view! The garden out back was large and peaceful with a beautiful swimming pool. The dog and cat were a plus.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank misspuff
Reviewed January 20, 2013

A charming, comfortable old Bermuda home nestled amongst beautiful gardens, I stayed during the week between Christmas and New Year's 2012. While I never met the owners as they were on their holidays, the caretaker Francisco attended to my every need. The house sits on busy Harbour Road, and while there is road traffic noise, it settles down about 9-10pm. The grounds include several areas to sit and read or chat, an area for croquet, and a pool with seating. Across Harbour Road, Granaway has a wee gate that leads down to the water. Other guests swam in this area.There were several bookshelves loaded with books for guests to read.

My room was quite large, king-sized bed, washroom with shower (no shampoo or conditioner - bring your own), microwave, fridge, dishes, glassware, silverware, coffee pot, fairly large closet complete with two towels for the pool, small-sized older television, alarm clock radio with iPOD docking station, desk & chair, sofa & coffee table and another chair with sidetable. The bed was comfortable for me and the room clean. As it was in the lower part of the house, it did have a cooler feel to it. Two windows faced the water, and a couple of other windows faced the side of the property. All windows had shades or shutters to open or close for sunlight and two of the windows opened for fresh air. During my stay I did not need to use air conditioning or heat. My room was positioned under the main living room of the house which was not in use during my stay as the owners were not in residence. So I'm not able to speak to what it might have been like to have footsteps overhead. I will say that I did not hear noise from any of the other rooms in the house.

Breakfast was served promptly at 9am every morning in the dining area, or you could have it brought to your room. OJ, fresh made muffins, fresh fruit cocktails, eggs cooked various ways, toasts, coffee or tea - it was all lovingly prepared by Francisco and sometimes his girlfriend Annabelle would help. Maverick, the dog, monitors all of the comings & goings, and would often sit at my feet while I read in the gardens. Olive, the cat, will find your lap. Francisco made it clear that the animals are not allowed in the guest rooms.

The property is about a 10 minute walk to the closest ferry. I purchased a ferry/bus pass good for 7 days which helped save on always having to have exact change. The ferry will allow you to ride for free over to Hamilton to then buy your fare/pass. The one negative aspect about the ferry drop off is that you must walk on Harbour Road to get to & from the ferry dock, and this is a very busy narrow two lane road. While drivers are careful, and mirrors are plentiful to help with knowing what's coming around the corner, hug the walls as much as you can, especially during rush hours. I did not rent a scooter or bike during my stay, and relied completely on public transportation (so easy) and a taxi when I brought groceries back to my room. (and of course, taxis to & from the airport)

You can also walk about 10 minute up the hill behind the guest house to find the closest bus stop (at a school) that will take you either toward Hamilton or toward the Dockyards.

I enjoyed my stay at the Granaway - it was quiet & relaxing, and Francisco was a great help in terms of things to do and transportation needs. The house was comfortable and a pleasant home away from home. I would definately consider staying there again and would recommend it to anyone looking for this kind of stay.

Room Tip: Remember, this house is around 300 years old. I did get a sneak peak at the other rooms while they were being made up in between guests - they all vary in size, location, and decor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank AdventureLass
Reviewed November 11, 2012

On a business trip for few nights and a regular business visitor of Bermuda, I decided to try something different from the corporate hotels to appreciate more the Bermuda experience. The place was recommended by colleagues who live on the island and it definetely exceeded my expectations. The house is simply stunning, nearly 300 years old and all is about details: the room decor (with modern wifi and TV), the breakfast set and food served in the master living room of the house with a view on the ocean, homemade muffins, the cute cat and dog, the beautiful house grounds. I traveled into Hamilton to go to work by ferry (Belmont ferry stop is not far away and the walk in the morning just sets you in a good mood and a USD3.25 ride by ferry make the travel as cost efficient as it can be - make sure you have exact cash). The owners and their staff are very attentive, though descreet. A real "home" feel, class and quiet for those not wanting to stay with the crowds. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: You can choose to stay in the separate cottage (beautiful with own garden and view of the ocena) or in one of the rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ElisabettaR17
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This was our 4th trip to Bermuda but the fist time we stayed on land. What a great vacation!! Bermuda remains safe, clean and utterly relaxing. The weather was fabulous, the water was refreshing and the beauty of the land and sea scapes never ends.

We searched the internet to find places to stay and became enchanted by the Granaway Guest House. We liked the central location. We were intrigued by the age of the home. There were lots and lots of positive reviews. So, we booked it.

If you are looking for a modern, luxurious resort with lots of amenities and constant activities then you are not suited for Granaway. However, if you are looking for a reasonable getaway location with unique ambiance, delightful conversation, open and caring attention and don't mind doing a bit of walking then nothing can beat Michael and Carol Ashton's wonderful home.

Each succesive Breakfast topped the one from the day before. The location has a beautiful view of the sound. The back yard garden and the pool are excellent. The harbor-side dock offers the best sunsets and a great place to swim and float. The bus and the ferry stop very nearby. Your hosts are exceedingly accomodating often offering a ride to the beach in the morning, allowing occassional use of the main kitchen and the back yard grill. Their right-hand-man, Francisco, is extremely attentive, making me an early press of coffee each morning as I sat on the balcony and read before the other guests arrived for breakfast.

Did I mention Olive and Maverick? As with most domesticated cats, if you don't want her near you Olive will find your lap. Maverick is always on the job making sure all is well. He's a great companion and loves getting his pets.

Some reviews mention road noise and mustiness in the downstairs rooms. I cannot argue, indeed this can be the case. The road noise begins to recede in ones mind after the first day of relaxing and the mustiness is a nartural by-product of a home of this age in this sub-tropical setting. I've experienced worse in modern hotels in places like Puerto Vallarta and even on Oahu. Pump up the air conditioning a bit to mitigate the problem..

We would definitely call Granaway our home-away-from-home when we return to Bermuda again.

Room Tip: The Cottage is great, and more private if you want to be more self sustaining. Of the rooms in the Main House I'd go for either the Palm or the Royal. Rose is very nice as well. The Captains offers a fine value accomodation but request one of the others first.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jeff H
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I traveled solo to visite my friendsin bermuda i stayed at granaway in harbor road for 7 days i loved it so much i enjoyed breakfast in bed with the view of hamilton in my window , swiming in the pool and sitting in the garden , i dont like pets but their doggie is so adorable i miss him so much oxoxox, my favoriate part is the sound of little frogs night time :) u dont hear that in new york ;)

i recommend granaway .