“Nice Stay”
Review of Kingston House B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hamilton
Kingston House B&B
Ranked #1 of 3 Hamilton B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Alexandria VA
“Nice Stay”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had a lovely stay in the Palmetto Suite. It was a very large room. We enjoyed the scones everyday at breakfast. We used the pool often too. The owners are around and provide tips and information. We walked to town and used buses often. The walk is fine but wear comfortable shoes to do it. We also brought a small light so drivers could see us at night on walk home. We would return. The space for items in fridge was helpful as was the beach cooler. Bermuda is a beautiful island! Best beaches I have ever seen.

Room Tip: Like being upstairs and having a larger room in Palmetto Suite!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I cannot fully express how grateful I am to Marlie and Harry Powell for making Kingston House such a gracious and inviting place to spend a holiday.
As a child, my father's airline passes allowed us to visit my Bermudian grandparents once a year. Until I found Kingston House, I feared I could not afford a Bermudian holiday ever again. However, not only is this guesthouse affordable, it is also offers first-class hospitality and a welcoming environment. The owners are 'hands-on', and obviously work overtime to provide for every practical need.
I stayed in the Bird of Paradise room for the second time in two years; this time for seven nights, from June 25 to July 2. This room has a wonderfully comfortable adjustable bed for my chronic back issues. It also offers a balcony which overlooks a beautiful front garden. I actually got up early (on holiday!), just to sit on the balcony to enjoy the fresh, early morning sky, the vibrant colours, and the sounds of the birds.
As a single, Christian minister in his 60's, I enjoyed the quiet and solitude when I needed it, and the delightful company of several fellow guests in the evening, as we shared food and drink from our sections of the ample guest refrigerator, while relaxing next to the endless pool. Everyone enjoyed describing their adventures of the day.
When I returned my rented scooter on the day of departure, the walk back to Kingston House was only five minutes. What else can I say? Great location, great people, great holiday!
Arthur S.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Arthur S
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I just came back from a 3 night stay here. Marlie and Harry were gracious hosts, and the room/house was terrific. My wife was a little apprehensive about staying in a bed and breakfast instead of a hotel, but she admitted that this turned out to be a great decision. The breakfast was delicious, the room was very clean and spacious, and Marlie and Harry were very helpful and kind. We also made friends with another couple staying there, which was pretty cool. It’s a 10-15 minute walk to the heart of town. It was one of our best vacations, highly recommend Bermuda, and the Kingston House.

Room Tip: We stayed in the birds of paradise room, very large, peacful and has a balcony. I'm sure the ot...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pickering, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2013

While I may only be repeating what others have written, we were so pleased with our stay that I feel compelled to add another great review. We stayed in the Palmetto Suite for 4 nights. After a long and frustrating flight, a short 30 min. cab ride (about $30) from the airport brought us to the Kingston House. Harry warmly met us and even took us on a short 10 cent tour of the town (in his new electric car!) to get our bearings and show us where the grocery store is etc.

Our room was clean, bright and spacious. Complete with a terry robes, a large furnished balcony and lots of closet space.

While not a "hot" breakfast, breakfast is more than adequate with yogurt, homemade granola, fresh fruit, fresh baked scones and bread etc. Very good.

They really have made an effort to provide anything that you could possibly need. Such as small kitchenette area where each room has a shelf in the fridge, dishes, cultery, wine opener, coffee/tea, filtered water, umbrellas, beach mats, towels etc. These extras are really appreciated.

The walk into town is only about 5-10 min. I wouldn't say it is "dangerous" but there is no sidewalk. Just be alert. Most of the other guests were pleased with the bus system and ferries. My husband and I rented scooters for 3 days from Smatts. It was one of the highlights of our trip and we enjoyed the freedom it gave us. We covered the whole island in the time we were there. And found the locals to be very patient with us on the road.

One rainy evening a cab failed to show up to take us to dinner, and so Marlie insisted on driving us into town herself. Very nice!

This B&B is fantastic value in Bermuda. The proximity to town was very convenient. My only question is when can we come back?

Room Tip: We enjoyed the Palmetto Suite which has a large balcony (facing rear garden), and a sitting room/tab...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lindsay S
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from a 3 night stay. Marlie was a great host and spent time showing us everything when we arrived. Nice breakfast, 10 minute walk to town and a lot cheaper than hotels like the Princess (which is only a 5 minute walk away). Would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Grace8688
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We just finished a great week in Bermuda and the Kingston House B&B. Marlie's fruit plates and home made bread and granolas were superb! After hiking segments of thr Rail Trail, we relaxed nightly in the endless pool and the lovely garden. We plan to return soon to finish the Rail Trail and to stay at the Kingston House.

Bev & Larry (Prescott, AZ)

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Stratford Upon Avon
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have just stayed at Kingston House and in many ways I concur with the glowing reports to be found on here about this property. I just feel some of them are a little exaggerated and therefore perhaps I was expecting a bit too much. Overall it is fine. It is cosy and clean and handily placed for Hamilton, although the 15 minute walk into town without a pavement is somewhat lethal. The rooms are comfortable and spacious and the pool, although small, is a great temperature. The owner, Marlie, is lovely, very chatty and friendly. During my visit we had mainly just Marlie and the atmosphere in the house relaxed noticeably after her rather overbearing husband left for a trip to Canada.

Regarding negatives and changes I would make. It is not pointed out that this is a vegan establishment. That is fine and I have no problem with that lifestyle choice but I would probably not have chosen to stay there if I had known there wouldn't be any eggs or ham for breakfast. The choice is very limited and breakfast is very average. I was surprised to see the pastries cut in half to make it look more! It is good to offer free tea and biscuits all day but please also offer coffee without guests having to ask, not everyone wants tea. I think it would also be good to put a couple of sun loungers on the back terrace. When the sun disappears behind the house you lose it completely unless you go to the back terrace where it is still blazing but there is nowhere to sit. Finally I had to turn off my bathroom towel rail. I understand the problems of drying towels but these rails should be off in summertime - the bathroom was like a sauna.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Room Tip: Try to get a room upstairs. It is quite noisy in the mornings on the ground floor as everyone is up...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank alysonclare
marliepowell, Owner/Manager at Kingston House B&B, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Clarification & Correction:
Breakfasts are not strictly vegan, even though Marlie is a raw vegan chef. Milk, cream, cottage cheese, hard cheeses, butter and a selection of plain and fruit yogurts have always been on the breakfast menu as well as the baked goods, fresh fruit, home-made granolas, etc.
Very large pastries are sometimes cut in half so guests can sample several different types without feeling overloaded. As breakfast is buffet style, one could eat both halves of many and no one would mind!
Our fresh roasted, fair-trade organic coffee left on the brew all day would not taste very nice so we keep keep instant in the guest fridge on the "house" shelf--we dashed out and bought another jar without checking to see that there was a full jar in plain view. We will put in a small coffee brewer in the guest galley, so folks can make their own fresh coffee in the afternoon if they like. Point well taken.
The large west terrace is a 'yoga deck'. It's tranquil and surrounded by flowers and vines wrapped around big columns with a large Buddha sculpture at one end. Yoga mats are provided but it is not furnished. There is nothing stopping from anyone from grabbing a mat and towel and sunbathing there rather than using it for yoga.
The heated towel racks are widely appreciated year-round. If unwanted, guests can switch them off, no problem. However, if one also chooses to switch off the air conditioning in the summer, the heat from the rail can make the bathroom too warm. Either way, guests have full control of the heating and cooling in their rooms.
Harry is a big guy, and hard not to notice but when he is away, guests miss out on his wonderful sense of humour, willingness to provide shuttle service back and forth to town for those who aren't comfortable with our narrow roads, and as his family dates back hundreds of years to the early settlers in Bermuda, he's always ready with some local folklore which most guests thoroughly enjoy!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Royal Palms Hotel
Hamilton Princess & Beach Club, a Fairmont Managed Hotel
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
Coco Reef Resort Bermuda
#3 of 6 in Paget Parish

Been to Kingston House B&B? Share your experiences!