“Hidden Gem, Great Hotel For Couples”
Review of Royal Palms Hotel

Royal Palms Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Hamilton
Draper, Utah
“Hidden Gem, Great Hotel For Couples”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

My wife and I just returned from a trip to Bermuda. We had the opportunity to stay a night at the Royal Palms Hotel and we were pleasantly surprised at what a great place this is for couples.

The hotel is about a 30 minute cab ride from the airport (Cost was about $40.00) and it is tucked away in Hamilton about 3-4 blocks from downtown Hamilton. After checking in to the hotel, they took our bags to our room and we decided to grab a bit to eat. We walked up the street about 3 blocks to a restaurant called "Robin Hood Pub & Restaurant". This was a good place to come in for a quick bite to eat, and then we headed down to walk through the stores in Hamilton which were very nice!

Our hotel room was very clean and spacious, we slept great in the king sized bed, and everything about the hotel was cozy and quiet. We also ate at the hotel restaurant at "The Ascots Restaurant" that evening. We had a window seat next to the beautiful gardens which were lit up at night. The landscaping at the hotel is very nice, and we enjoyed walking around looking at the different types of trees. (Avocado, banana, etc.)

If you are traveling as a couple, I highly recommend a night or two at the Royal Palms Hotel.

Room Tip: We had a room that was tucked away down a beautifully landscaped alley on the hotel grounds.
3 Thank RGeertsen43
Royalbermuda, Manager at Royal Palms Hotel, responded to this review, August 14, 2014
Dear RGeertsen43,

Thank you for your kind review! We appreciate you recommending us, and look forward to seeing you on a future trip to Bermuda.

Theresa Harney-Zuill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Lafayette, California
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We chose this over the Fairmont and Rosedon mainly because it was somewhat cheaper. Also we wanted an older style charming place and the Royal Palms fit the bill perfectly. It's quiet, Ascot restaurant there is very good, staff are all very friendly and there is free wine at 5pm! I can't give it 5 stars for two reasons: that walk back from town at the end of a tiring day often felt too much, given the heat and humidity. Closer in would have been better. And the breakfast was not perfect for my husband who eats gluten-free and really likes protein at breakfast. And there is no lift/elevator. But I would definitely recommend it.

3 Thank HilaryBen
Dear HilaryBen,

We are so pleased you chose to stay with us and enjoyed the charm of our property. Thank you for your review and we appreciate you recommending us.

Philadelphia
Reviewed August 6, 2014

My sail boat crew LOVES this hotel. After racing to Bermuda from Newport in June, 7 of us stayed at the Royal Palms, the crew's hotel of choice. We have stayed there 3 times. It's quiet, it's super friendly and the staff has a magic wand to make things happen for us. The place is attractive and sitting around the pool in the evening, is a nice way to end a busy day. The bar is great and we always try to have our crew dinner at Ascots, right there in the hotel. We are looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank VanGogh2
Royalbermuda, Manager at Royal Palms Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear VanGogh2,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review. We love having you all stay with us and can't wait to see you next time!

Safe Sailing!

Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed at the end of July for a long weekend, and had a great experience at the Royal Palms. The staff was incredibly friendly. Upon check-in, we were given a personal tour without being rushed, and escorted to our room, which I found to be a friendly, personal gesture rather than the usual impersonal check-in and key handover. We stayed in room 122, which was a deluxe mini suite on the second floor of a building separate from the main inn, just across the driveway. It was clean and everything was in nice condition, decorated in a typical colonial style. There was a small kitchenette and table, which is great if you want to buy some food at the store and keep in the room (although be careful! there are ants!). My only complaint is that the bathroom directly faces the bed, which kind of bothered me-- looking at the toilet when lying in bed is less than ideal, but that's personal preference.
Each evening, there's a wine hour, where you can drink wine and have snacks and sit in the parlor area or porch, which we found to be a nice treat after the days activities and before dinner. The wine is nothing special, but that's ok- just enjoy people watching, or meeting some of the other guests.
We ate at Just 24, the casual dining area just behind the bar- the food was good. Keep in mind that everything in Bermuda is expensive, so I would say the prices were more or less on par with the Robin Hood pub down the street. (Which, by the way, had delicious Chicken Tikka Masala. Strange, I know-- but good). There's also Mad Hatters diagonally across the street from Robin Hood, both about a 7-10 min walk from the hotel. Both are recommended.
The pool is indeed small, but wholly sufficient for going for a dip or just hanging out. There were never more than 4 other people there.
What I found really nice about the hotel is that, rather than cramming as many rooms as possible on the property, there was a nice relaxed, spacious feel with perfectly groomed lawn and ample lounge and adirondack chairs sprinkled about for the guests to just enjoy the atmosphere. I would go back in a heartbeat!

2 Thank fuzzbrain
Dear fuzzbrain,

Thank you for your kind review. We're so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you back.

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed August 3, 2014

I spent a couple of days in Bermuda for a week-end off, and decided to stay in this hotel. After my time spent there I have some mixed feeling about the property, but still enjoyed it. Let's start with the positive sides. Considering the costs of lodging here, this place is by far the cheapest, keeping anyway a good quality. So you are indeed staying in a nice hotel, even if the price of 370 $ per night would not be justifiable in any other place of the world I guess. But it is Bermuda. The rooms are big, nice AC, and the property looks like an old colonial house and has indeed charm. The breakfast is also good, nothing special but big enough with excellent scones, some selections of salt and sweet breads. So I enjoyed it and it is nice to have it in the price. The pool is very small, but I think it fits well the feeling of boutique hotel. The wi-fi is free and everywhere on the property, and this is also really good of course. Finally the personnel was all really kind, personal and friendly. This added a nice touch to the experience of course. Now on the negative sides. The position is really not so good. It takes around 10 minutes fast walk to reach the center of Hamilton, and there is absolutely nothing around. In the night or evening it does not look so good either, and one has to cross the financial center of the city, that is a kind of ghost town when people are not working. This made the stay and the movements around quite complicated and not so pleasant. The bathroom was really small, and even if the shower was fine, the toilet was partially working and was often blocked. So I had to flush several times. Then I had ants in my bed. Nothing bed, but anyway annoying. The check-out is at 11:30, not so convenient if your flight (like most of them I guess) are in the late afternoon. The bill has also a 10% "compulsory" gratuity. Now, I booked via an agency and my price included this as well, so no issues, but it gives a strange image to be obliged to leave a 10% tip. Finally the fridge did some very loud sound at night, making hard to sleep. I could stay here again if one has a private transportation method, like a scooter, or if one is there for business and can take cabs all the times, to the center.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Alessandr078
Royalbermuda, Manager at Royal Palms Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear Alessandr078,

Thank you for your candid and comprehensive review as we appreciate all guest feedback as it helps us calibrate our service offerings so that we are as closely aligned to guest needs as possible. We certainly agree with many of your observations and we realize any guest experience is subjective.

I note you arrived on the 2nd day of Bermuda’s 4 day holiday weekend and Hamilton would certainly have appeared quieter than normal as all government offices were closed for the holiday and all the festivities were taking place at the western end of the island. I’m sorry you didn’t mention the issue with your toilet or the fridge as those issues would have been immediately dealt with had they been brought to our attention. While it is unpleasant to find ants in your bed,we and all Bermuda properties go to great lengths to keep ants from our guest rooms and suites. Any property surrounded by beautiful aspects of nature may occasionally find itself visited by these but of course it’s always our goal to ensure these ‘visits’ never occur.

As we have had 2 concerns in the last couple of days regarding gratuities I would like to correctly set expectations to readers considering a visit to Bermuda, and correct what has to be a misunderstanding regarding these charges. All licensed properties in Bermuda including Royal Palms Hotel are strictly controlled with regard to how we charge and describe services provided. All hotels in Bermuda charge gratuity as a separate line item and this is clearly displayed on our hotel web site and those of our on-line marketing partners. As you mention, you were aware of the charge when you made your booking.

Hopefully you will visit Bermuda again in the future and rent a scooter from the many available cycle liveries.

durham, NC
Reviewed July 30, 2014

My wife and I recently spent several nights at this hotel, which falls somewhere between a small hotel and an overgrown B&B. On the positive side, the room was nice enough and the hotel itself, while showing its age, has charm and is certainly clean. There is also a reasonable restaurant on site. Moreover, the staff were efficient and friendly. Nevertheless, I was not entirely satisfied and would not return here on a future visit. The issues are as follows:
1) The hotel is a 12 or so minute walk from town and does not have a shuttle. So, to go to the ferries, to another restaurant or whatever you either walk, which in the summer leaves you rather sweaty, or else wait 15 minutes while they get a cab for you, which will cost $10 each way. The hotel has a small, fairly nice pool but is not near a beach or indeed the water. So, we were forever walking back and forth to Hamilton. As it rained quite often during our visit, this was a particular issue Not ideal, for sure! Of course, if you are there on business, and being picked up by car, this is not a concern.
2) Breakfast is continental, but not what you would get in France, more like you get at a Homewood Suites or similar. The key to a pleasant continental breakfast is good bread, Unfortunately, the bread on offer consisted of supermarket sliced bread, Thomas's English muffins and store bought muffins and croissants, nothing like the superb baguettes and fresh croissants you get in France! This was especially odd as the restaurant on site served sliced baguettes and home made bread with their meals. This should be extended to the breakfast. Coffee was served in a large pump dispenser-no cappuccino here! In addition, there was a fruit salad, boil-it-yourself eggs and a waffle maker. Overall, very unexciting and, after a few days, boring.
3) The final issue was the bill. We booked at a rate of $444 per night with Saturday night free, ie a total of $1332 for four nights. I was not surprised by the added taxes, for a total of $1465.
What was irritating, however, was the required gratuity of $44.40 (10%) for each night we paid and $35 for the "free" night. This added an extra $167 to the bill and, in my view, is totally outrageous! I've never heard of a required gratuity on a hotel invoice. So, beware of these hidden charges.
One final issue. The hotel has attractive landscaping which, at night, harbors a large number of very loud tree frogs. If you are a light sleeper, you will have a problem.

5 Thank bryan c
Royalbermuda, Manager at Royal Palms Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2014
Dear Brian C,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We greatly appreciate the compliments, and comments that enable us to improve where we can.
We note your disappointment that we are not nearer the city center or near a beach. This must have been a frustration if you were not aware of our location before arrival.

As you say, we are situated on a residential road just on the outskirts of the City of Hamilton which does lend for a leisurely 10 - 12 minute stroll into the city. I’m so sorry that the weather wasn’t very cooperative during your stay. We are more than happy to preorder taxis for the specified time you would like which eliminates you having to wait.

We were disturbed to see that you didn’t appreciate our continental breakfast selection. We feel that our guests prefer a wider selection of breakfast choices than are traditionally available in France. I would like to assure you that our sliced bread and pastries are actually baked fresh daily from one of the local bakeries on the island. I would welcome any further recommendations you might have to enhance our current offerings of cereals, yogurts, ham, cheese, fruits, waffles, boiled eggs, quiche, and pastry selection.

I’m truly surprised to hear that you were unaware of our 10% gratuity charge as our website clearly states on both our ‘Rates’ and ‘Promotions’ pages that taxes and gratuities are additional at 19.75%. The charges are broken down as 7.25% government tax, 2.5% tourism authority fee, and 10% gratuity and are essentially standard throughout Bermuda. Our ‘Promotions’ page also states that $35 is applicable on the ‘free night’ promotion. After checking your hotel confirmation letter that was emailed to you on June 24th the total quoted in the letter included all the taxes and gratuities as well as the additional $35 for the free night. We agree with you that it is very important to be transparent when it comes to hotel charges as we do not want any guest to be taken by surprise with additional costs. Therefore we can assure you we absolutely do not have any hidden charges.

As you correctly observed, Bermuda has tree frogs and while they are tiny shy creatures they can make a lot of noise but I assure you there is no hotel in Bermuda that doesn't have them nearby. Some people like to see them as part of their sub-tropical island experience, for those who don't and as noted in our guest information booklet we are more than happy to provide ear plugs for any light sleepers.

Mount Vernon
Reviewed July 30, 2014

As someone who travels to Bermuda on business quite often, I tried the Royal Palms as an alternative to the Hamilton Princess and I was very satisfied. The mini suite was excellent. The room was very clean and had many amenities not often found in other hotels. The hotel staff were extremely pleasant and very helpful. We were quite happy with the breakfast buffet - many familiar choices - and the wine hour after work was a very nice touch. The walk to the business district in Hamilton was about the same distance as from Front Street - although not certain I would do it by myself after it gets dark. I am very happy to recommend it to anyone traveling to Bermuda.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Royalbermuda, Manager at Royal Palms Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Rosemary L,

We're so pleased you decided to stay with us on this trip and were not disappointed. Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review, and for recommending us. We look forward to welcoming you again.

Theresa Harney-Zuill
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Rosedon Hotel
#2 of 2 in Hamilton Parish
The Reefs
The Reefs
#2 of 3 in Southampton Parish

Been to Royal Palms Hotel? Share your experiences!