New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Edgehill Manor Guest House

Edgehill Manor Guest House
Ranked #2 of 2 Hamilton B&B and Inns
Southeast Florida
“It's the perspective that counts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

I think it was not the label of B & B that helped the fact sink in. It was the relatively tiny size of the property, live on property staff of two, and no lobby upon arrival, that set my expectations where they belonged. My history is of hotels, resorts, and properties starting at no less than 50 rooms, mostly in the 200 or larger size. Now, faced with a property of 15 or less rooms, a small breakfast room in the main house that housed 3 small tables for the guests, and a breakfast that was decidedly continental in nature, I reset my expectations and opened my eyes. Forget a lobby, check in desk, exercise room, gift shop, common area other than the above mentioned small breakfast nook. It was a room to sleep in and a breakfast each morning. Moving beyond that was the extraordinary service by a staff of three; Dora and Marivic were staff and Bridget Marshall was the proprietor. Together, they watched over your room, made breakfast each day, and were available by phone after 4pm each day if needed. After 4, you are aloneeeee. The property is indeed on the edge of a hill. It is two buildings, a nice shade of green and white trim, at the top of a quarter mile sloping road. The Old building is charming wooden construction, creaking stairways, and comfortable rooms. I was housed for a day on my first visit in the oldest room, which threatened my view with the shortcomings of it's age and size, however it's renovation was undertaken just after I left. My next visit was to the new building, solid stone, new large rooms, french doors and a view North of the island that was tremendous. Cautionary note; The winds are island winds, and they howl and thunder when a storm passes. The doors shake and the buildings moan. But the buildings are solid so no worries. Location wise, I hit two dots as there is zilch, zippo, nada conveniences around the property. It's located at the edge and top of a hill, and surrounded by houses. It's a good 15 minute walk to the Miles Market nearby. Beware the Miles Market when using Credit Card. I visited them three times and three times they happily double charged my card, which is now being rectified by the CC company. I hate fraud, which this smacks of. That aside, it's a nice boutique market with variety and it's the nearest to the Edgehill. You will most likely walk everywhere from the B&B, as taxi's are scarce, inconvenient to summon, and expensive to boot. Walking is dangerous from the B&B as sidewalks don't exist in that area, and the roads are sided by steep stone walls. They drive fast, drive on the left (Former British colony), and barely swerve to not hit you as they zoom by. But as the nearest restaurant is downtown, you will be walking a lot for Lunch and Dinner. Did I not say forget restaurants at the B&B too? Some rooms have a kitchenette, and that's a good way to economize, as food is outlandishly expensive on island (Common theme here). When that howling wind kicks up over 40 - 50 knots, the one land bridge to the St. George parish and the only airport is closed, due to a general desire to not have citizens and tourists wash into the harbour and drown again as happenned once in the past. No one road = no airport either, as the planes from the mainland wont fly in that weather. Pack a few extra days of clothes in your bags for that contingency. One item that the wind brings is fresh ocean air. You can't and don't want to escape it. It's clean, constantly renewing, and at the end of the day, you sleep well from it. As it's an island, there are bugs. I saw a rat, ants, and a few mosquitos. That was in 50 degree weather. When it hits 90, the tropics are in full bloom. I left the island with a set of mysterious bites on my nether end. I don't want to think that they came from the room's bed, but am drawing a blank where else they could come from. One amazing thing about Bermuda, from the airport, to the B & B, to everyone I met on island; They are all happy to be there. I didn't see a stressed face the week I was there.Even the homeless people were relaxed. Criminey, the island life is seriously laid back . Summary on the Edgehill Manor - It's not a great location, has great service, few amenities of a full service hotel, is isolated after 4pm when the staff of 2 locks up, and in a supremely quiet area, other than the cars and scooters that occasionally buzz by honking as they approach the blind curves. I would stay there again but would not bring my elderly mother there. Did I also mention it isn't handicap-friendly?

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Location
    • 4 of 5 stars
      Sleep Quality
12 Thank VisitedNewPlaces
, Manager at Edgehill Manor Guest House, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Although, more than 2 years have passed since this view was posted (Edgehill has just started to utilize online technology), I wish to thank you for your perspective. Overall, a positive review with some negatives highlighted. The photographs of the pool and unmade bed would give a poor image. The pool is vacuumed and cleaned regularly and our wonderful staff thoroughly clean and make up the rooms daily. We have had many reviews although not all written up on Trip Advisor to say that the location of Edgehill is ideal because it is so close to Downtown Hamilton and a short bus, moped, or taxi ride to our fantastic pink beaches on the south shore.
Regarding the amenities, we do offer a laundry service at a value that is very fair, there is a vending machine located near the pool to buy soft drinks, and we provide a complimentary home baked breakfast that includes eggs, cereals and fresh pastries. All of our rooms are well equipped with fridges, microwaves, TV and wireless internet and much more. Some rooms have been renovated since 2010 and include full kitchens. We definately, do not fall into the Hotel category, but we are a unique B & B that is full of charm and character. A place to call home!. Yes! Like a quaint English Manor sitting majestically on the brow of a hill in Beautiful Bermuda. Tricia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
ridgewood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

We stayed with our three children and their significant others for 4 nights, comfly beds clean bathrooms . Walk to Hamilton 2 mins. Staff and owner were very helpful and even offered to drive us to a restaurant one night! We plan to visit again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
      Location
4 Thank jorggiestravel
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2006

We stayed in the only family room at Edgehill to accommodate myself, my wife, 14 year old daughter and 8 year old son. Stayed for 3 very nice nights of our 7 night stay in Bermuda (stayed at the Sandpiper for the other 4 nights). The staff and Mrs. Marshall could not be more pleasant and helpful, making us fell right at home as soon as we arrived. Beautiful pool for the kids to swim. The room itself was a little small for 4 people but was furnished nicely with a TV, large bed, and a day bed with a pullout underneath. Breakfast was simple; coffee, juice, and homemade breads. Soft-boiled eggs were also provided. All rooms have walk out terraces (like ours) or balconies overlooking the pool and/or the neighborhood. Edgehill is located about a 10 minute walk from downtown, in a very nice neighborhood of Hamilton, the capital, that was a pleasant walk that we made many times. Lots of shopping in Hamilton We ate at several nice but expesive restraunts; there are no cheap eats in Bermuda. Just expect to spend $20-$25 per person even for a modest lunch. Monty's was by far the best value and if it was up to me, I would have eaten every meal there. We even went to a movie on the one rainy day, the Little Theature where everyone seemed to know everyone. The only thing that would make Edgehill perfect would be for the bus to run near it. You must walk to downtown Hamilton to catch the bus or the ferry, about 10 minutes. We rented scooters one day which solved that problem. However, if you don't have a scooter, taxis are very expensive (much like the rest of Bermuda). Edgehill is probably better for a couple than a family. However, we enjoyed it very much and felt we were able to obtain a good sense of the Hamilton community that we would not have had staying at a hotel. Also note that is you plan to go to the South Shore beaches, you will need to walk to the bus and then take about a 15 minute ride, rent a scooter, or take a $15 taxi ride. The North Shore beaches are fine but nothing compared to South Shore. My advice if you are staying at Edgehill: rent a scooter the whole time. They are easy to drive and really fun, especially for the kids who rode on the back. Just make sure to stay on your left!

• Stayed June 2006
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
17 Thank Richmond Travel Family of 4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Royal Palms Hotel
Grotto Bay Beach Resort & Spa
#2 of 2 in Hamilton Parish
4.0 of 5 stars 2,146 reviews
Hamilton Princess & Beach Club, a Fairmont Managed Hotel

Been to Edgehill Manor Guest House? Share your experiences!