“Calling all Architecture Buffs”

Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity (Bermuda Cathedral)
Ranked #8 of 63 things to do in Hamilton
More attraction details
Owner description: The mother Anglican church in Bermuda, known not only for its religious, historical, and social importance, but also for its beautiful architecture.
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This Angelican Church is in the heart of Hamilton, and is a treasure trove of beautiful and distinctive architecture. It is a stunning place to see and enjoy - from the fabulous stained glass windows to the wonderful stone and wood work adorning the church. The history of the church itself, is most interesting. Many go up in the tower (155 steps) however we did not experience this ourselves. Several others have told us that the views from the top, overlooking the city and the harbour, are incredible. We happened into the church one day during a choir rehearsal, so enjoyed sitting and enjoying the serenade and the marvelous echos in the vast sanctuary, before moving on to more sightseeing A most enjoyable experience.

There are newer reviews for Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity (Bermuda Cathedral)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Although the Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity would not really turn a lot of heads if situated back in the UK as it is not particularly big, (the whole thing would fit in the nave of my local cathedral in St Albans Hertfordshire, however that may be an unfair comparison as, at 84 metres the nave at St Albans is the longest of any cathedral in England), or particularly old (building was completed in 1905), it’s still a very nice example of an Anglican church built in the Gothic Revival style and is well worth a quick visit, even for the non-religious when in Hamilton.
The building is built mainly out of Bermudan limestone and peace and serenity hits you as soon as you walk through the large wooden entrance. Inside the most interesting features include some excellent stained glass windows, the impressive warrior chapel and some very nice carved altar screens. And one area not to be missed is the sculptures depicting Christ and saints on the wall behind the alter.
And as other have mentioned for the fit and able, the climb up the tower to get commanding views of Hamilton is well worth the small requested donation.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! The door was open, but it was almost closing time. The man there did not rush us and actually told us a lot about Bermudian history. He was a former Mayor of Hamilton and had a wealth of knowledge to share. He was so kind and really wanted to share the islands heritage with us. We learned more from him in less than an hour than we ever imagined. The church is inspiring no matter what faith you come from.

Reviewed January 20, 2013

A beautiful old Anglican church in the heart of Hamilton, this is a lovely example of some amazing architecture. The tower was not open during my visit, nor was the gift shop. The church was decorated for the holidays. Easy to walk to from the main bus center, or a few blocks' walk from the ferry dock.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

This church is truly stunning in almost every way. I love the neo-Gothic style, copper roof, beautiful stained glass windows, and the lovely stone and wood work. Even if you're not a fan of churches, per se, this is worth a look. The history of the church is rather interesting as well...

The real treat is the Cathedral Tower. That said, it is 155 steps to the top. It is claustrophobic - if you're going up or someone is coming down, it's likely that one of you needs to turn around. The fit is tight, and 'panicky' folks will need to summon the courage to get to the top, and possess at least some fitness. There are only two landings, and when I was there they were both pretty dark. I, myself, was 'uncomfortable' yet determined to get to the top. The staircase is primarily spiral and then regular stairs. *However, once up to the top the view and photography are truly breathtaking.* The church is free - to climb the tower is $3.00 for adults (seniors and students are $2.00, children 5 and under are free as I recall) - well worth it, believe me.

There is a nice little gift shop, and you can purchase beverages. The volunteers are very nice and polite. When I was there it was hot and humid so water was imperative - at least for me. Even if you decide that getting up to the top is not for you, the church itself is worth the visit. If you are in / around Hamilton I would recommend *not* bypassing this landmark. There was no service taking place when I was there, thus I could just take my time walking around before venturing up to the top. Once up there I stayed for roughly a half-hour. It was a beautiful day, and the view and photos were outstanding. Hopefully the photos will give you a decent appreciation of what you will find here. And, some kind folks took my photo :-) And, going down always seems easier than getting up!

This is really a nice church - check it out if you're in this vacinity of Bermuda!

3  Thank Raymond C