“Little Italy's got nothing on these paisans.”

Portofino Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Portofino Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 107 Restaurants in Hamilton
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed December 26, 2013

You wouldn't think of Hamilton, Bermuda when thinking of old school Italian food but that's just what my Missus and I found on our recent romantic evening for two while taking a short vacation. The decor is reminiscent of many Italian restaurants in the USA with the Italian flag themed colors and the murals and photos of the "old country" on the walls. We were welcomed by a friendly older gentleman who sat us at the front window. This was a weekend night and it didn't appear too busy with just two other parties in our dining room.

I started with a Minestrone soup. I expected the usual garden vegetable and tomato stew but this turned out to be a winter version. No corn or green beans or peas but plenty of chunks of pumpkin, turnip (maybe, not sure, could have been a different type of squash I was unfamiliar with), potato and white beans. It was rich and comforting with a golden broth and a small hint of tomato. My wife chose a seasonal pumpkin soup that tasted like it had a chicken stock base. It came swirled with creme fraiche. She loved it.

We ordered a carafe of red wine that was advertised as Cabernet but reminded me of the home made "backyard" wines of my youth (although not Italian myself, I grew up in a predominately Italian neighborhood). The wine went perfectly with the decor and style of food. I wouldn't have been surprised if they served it in jelly jars. It's just the sort of comfortable vibe the place is aspiring to.

For our main courses, My wife had the "cowboy" steak, a trimmed rib-eye, with a side of spaghetti. It was advertised at 14 oz. but seemed much larger, taking up over half of her full sized plate. It was cooked to her liking, medium rare, and was of good quality and pretty reasonable for its size given the generally high food prices on the island.

I had a fantastic dish of four HUGE scallops wrapped in speck, a type of Italian smoked ham, and seared at each end with a brown sugar crust. These shellfish were the size of a baby's fist yet fork tender, delicately flavored, sweet, buttery and glistening and warm in the center. Perhaps the best scallops I've ever had. As if befitting their championship status, they stood high on a bed of creamy Parmesan risotto that had slabs of brie cheese melting on top. The rice was perfectly al dente. For color and vitamins, a deep green zucchini puree surrounded the risotto like a moat. A very memorable dish.

Service was a tad slow on occasion. It appeared the gentlemen waiters were in somewhat of a stand down mode having lots of casual conversations among themselves in Italian. We had three different waiters delivering food to our table that night and a request of one might not get passed on to the next. So we had to remind waiter number one that we had ordered garlic bread from waiter number two. The garlic bread came late into the entree. I would have comped it but, whatever. It was unremarkable. Sort of a store bought Italian sliced loaf brushed with garlic butter and parsley. The least impressive part of the meal.

Dessert, on the other hand, was a treat. A chocolate "bomb" dome filled with hard ice cream inside, a scoop of fabulous hazelnut gelato on the side and whipped cream with a cherry. We shared it while I also had a traditional espresso with a side of Sambuca and my wife had a Baileys and coffee. No, we weren't driving.

All in all, its a very comfortable, romantic place that reminded me of that scene in "Lady and the Tramp". I liked the staff and felt welcome and comfortable there. I really enjoyed the food and was doubly impressed that it remained so true to its roots given its island location. I would go back in a heartbeat.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

was unsure what to think at first as its very casual. but the staff made us laugh and the food was pretty good. its an institution in Bermuda and we can see why.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

This is dubbed Bermuda's Favourite on their card and having eaten here many times over several years I agree. The food is excellent and the restaurant is very clean. Over time I have had their pizza, pasta, veal parm, chicken and salads with grilled chicken. They also have beer and wine if you are in the mood to skip soft drinks and/or iced tea. They even have a take out service. The priices are somewhat high, coming from the US, but considering that this is Bermuda and most things are imported, they are competitive.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

Had never eaten here before. It quickly became busy for lunch and the reason was the food. One of the best Italian restaurants we've eaten at anywhere. Wine was a little pricy. So popular that I met three people that I hadn't seen for 40 years during one lunch break!

Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

Great location, hospitable service, delicious food! My favorite when I visit the island. The staff is just so friendly. The service is fast. Prices are a little bit high, but so worth it. And keeping in perspective that everything in Bermuda is more expensive, is not that bad. Highly recommend.