“Fine, But Nothing Spectacular”
Review of Bistro J

Bistro J
Ranked #26 of 108 Restaurants in Hamilton
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

Did the fixed price 3 course menu for $35.50 per person. Both had calamari with BBQ sauce starter. Calamari was bland and needed lemon or some seasoning. Portion was a good size, though.

I had flounder for main, which was delicious. Portion was small. Wife had steak and fries in a red wine sauce; steak was great, but fries were drenched in the red wine sauce, which made them very rich and not hugely enjoyable.

Dessert was very good. I had vanilla cheesecake and wife had chocolate brownie sundae, both of which were spot on.

Service was okay. We were not drinking and so just had water, but were asked if we wanted to buy drinks from the bar about five times, which became a little tiresome. Waiter was very serious and didn't try to engage us in any conversation. Haven't found waiting staff to be very friendly in Bermuda so maybe it's the way it is over here.

Total bill was just over $80 including tip. It represented fair value, but no more. Won't return as the starter and wife's main weren't too good.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

Bistro J (located in a small alley in Hamilton) is the only restaurant I know in Bermuda which offers reasonably priced prix-fixe menus (Mon - Fri. Fri & Sat night are individually priced). Their menus change every day so I cannot recommend a staple item. I would advise to go for whatever sounds most different / something you haven't tried before. I ordered the fried potatoes as an app which were basically like thick patatas bravas - they were delicious. For my entree, I hesitated and thankfully picked my original choice - squid ink linguine with chili oil and scallops - they were out of this world and not too filling. Many people at the table ordered the mahi mahi which was really fresh and well prepared, but my pasta dish was unlike anything I've tried before and well worth the risk!
Their wine list is very reasonably priced with some good options.
The waiters were very nice and accommodating.
I will definitely go back. This restaurant is good for groups as well as for a regular dinner for couples.

1  Thank Vanessa V
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Nice staff with crisp wedge salad and lovely super-fresh bruchetta, with Tuna entree. So good and so well priced.

1  Thank Jaguar-Guy
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Bistro J is a small restaurant located just off Front St in Hamilton. While the menu is limited it is ever changing and the food is absolutely delicious.The servers are very attentive and extremely knowledgable. I had the yellowfin tuna, prepared rare in a white bean and lemon rice and fruit salsa. My wife had the beef bourguignonne, blood pudding and fingerling potatoes. We both had the poached pear, arugula, mascarpone and pecans salad. The menu has a price fixe choice of either two or three items and is quite reasonable by Bermuda standards. The restaurant itself is very cozy, the wine is very good and the overall dining experience was superb. We'd highly recommend.

Reviewed October 1, 2013

We made a reservation for 6.30 on sat evening .We [2 couples]were the only customers except for one other couple.We all ordered appetizers from the limited menu .They were OK.For the entree my wife orderd the rissotto with aspergrass and peas.The dish arrived with NO aspergrass ! One of the beef dishes was so tough and not edible.When we finished our bottle of wine the waiter showed up with another bottle that we had not asked for.