“Just OK”

Griffin’s Bistro
Ranked #9 of 26 Restaurants in St. George
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Overlooking the old town of St. George and harbor, Griffin’s Restaurant and Pizzeria offers a warm family friendly atmosphere, casual lounge bar and pool service, located on the third floor of our Great House and offers incredible views. It is open for Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner, 7 Days a week (in season). The menu is focused on serving the freshest ingredients including specialty pizzas, pastas, and variety of surf and turfs. Every evening the kitchen creates a taste of Bermuda entrée that reflects the freshly available produce, with seafood delivered up Rose Hill from the local fisherman in St George.
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Although, the servers are in general very good and the food ok, it is apparent that the bartender ( Ty) appears to dislike the profession he has chosen. When seated at the bar( with no one else there) ,one should not have to get the attention of the tender with his back turned to us by saying excuse me and then getting an eye roll as a response. He has on other occasions made us feel very unwelcome, so we are finished with Griffin's!

Date of visit: July 2013
6  Thank DianeMc313

Reviewed July 2, 2013

The lobster roll at Griffin's is a little bit different. It has a little spice to it. The lobster is chunky and they don't drown the whole thing in mayo.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Having dined in Bermuda, Paris, Florence, Italy, NYC, San Francisco, Yountville and more..I discovered a new Italian treasure at Griffins Restaurant at the St. George's Club in Bermuda. Chef Piero has transformed the menu into some magical delights and includes some excellent traditional dishes as well. Dining in his Thursday night fixer ice fixed creative menu was a gastronomic treasure of four courses paired with amazing wines...Those lucky enough to request a chef's table will experience a magnificent dinner paired with a spectacular view of St. George's Harbour.. I am still trying to create his fresh pasta open ravioli with layers of "yummyness." Don't listen to any negative reviews of Chef Piero's cuisine. They are, frankly, way off base. And go the newly remodeled "Beach House" for an ocean sunset experience -also run by Chef Piero...
All I can say to Chef Piero raising a glass of Super Tuscan wine, " Bellisimo in Bermuda"

Date of visit: July 2013
3  Thank MarcoJP
Reviewed June 28, 2013

I had high hopes for Griffin’s this year as it is under new ownership and was looking forward to the improvements. And while the setting is beautiful, the glasses and silverware sparkling, there is a new and improved menu and a more attentive wait staff; it really is just more of the same disappointment.

To start with - for members of the club, the hours continue to be terrible - the restaurant is closed on Sundays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. A poolside resort restaurant should be open 7 days a week, especially when guests are required to spend $60/person at that restaurant. It is quite presumptuous to require a guest to spend money in your establishment and to then have inconvenient hours for them to do so.

The one dinner we had was nice, the food was good enough and I do love Bam Bam and the service that she provides. However, the bartender Ty is incredibly rude and treats and speaks to customers with enormous condescension. He has no business being in the service industry and I really don’t understand how he has managed to stay employed as long as he has. Over the years I have witnessed him being rude to others but my personal experience this trip was when I was trying to get his attention to let him know that we were undercharged (by a significant amount!) on the final bill and he told me, from across the restaurant, that I was being rude in trying to get his attention. So much for trying to be honest!

It is quite unfortunate that the new owner is trying to make positive changes but because of that interaction with Ty, I will spend the $60 that I am forced to spend but not a dime more. If I didn’t have to spend the $60, I would not return.

3  Thank JC_Tara
JohnKyle, Manager at Griffin’s Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

We are sorry that you did not enjoy Griffin's Bistro and do not like its new opening hours. We have worked very hard to make changes to ambiance, service and menu. Clearly you are in the minority with your views but still your perception is our reality and we need to keep trying harder. We will discuss your comments with everyone involved and give Bam Bam a pat on the back for good work. The minimum imposed is really spent on one visit to Griffin's so we do have a problem understanding the opening hours issue. The intention is to open Griffin's for longer when The Beach House is closed but during the summer cater for the majority that wish to be beside Achilles' Bay. We are taking a leaf from several other properties both in Bermuda and overseas by doing this but it is always under review. Again thank you for your constructive feedback.

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Located on the grounds of the St. George's Club. Only open a few days per week. Average food with high prices.