“Nothing Special”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Excellent, attentive service. I was able to dine outside and it was lovely to be on the water. Average atmosphere, average food. Nothing special.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Claims to be the oldest and most famous pub on Bermuda. Ended up in St. George over lunch as a part of a cruise-ship-island-tour. Good service of basic pub fare. Wanted to try the famous Bermuda fish chowder here which is quite salty. If we were to return, we would would want to try a different place.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Bermudians exist on fried foods and this is another place to get them. Some people like a pub, but we're too stodgy for that and prefer fresh un-fried fare.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

I suspect the White Horse gets a lot of its business from its central location in the town square but other than the attentiveness of our server it had little to recommend it, the food being middling at best. There have to be better food options in St. George, so do your research.

Reviewed December 6, 2012

We stayed a week in Bermuda and only ate at six restaurants. And of the five, we only ate multiple times at one of them: the White Horse.

Part of it was geography: We were staying in St. George and the White Horse was nearby. But part of it was the White Horse's fish and chips, which was one of the best meals we had, and at $16.95, one of the best bargains.

The first time we went, my wife ordered the fish and chips and I ordered the fish chowder as an appetizer and the bangers and mash for dinner. As soon as the plates were placed on the table, I knew I had ordered the wrong thing.

What makes the White Horse's fish and chips so good? The fish is wahoo. We both thought it was far superior to the usual cod or flounder of other tasteless white fish.

The only thing that saved my meal was the fish chowder. It wasn't the best I had on the island, but it might've been a close second.