“Skip it, snorkel on your own”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Snorkel Bermuda

Snorkel Bermuda
Newfoundland
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Skip it, snorkel on your own”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

My boyfriend and I went on this snorkel tour in August of 2013. I've been on a number of snorkeling tours before, and I was quite disappointed with this one given its rave reviews.

Sonny mentioned that the weather this particular day was in the "top 3" and conditions were ideal. However, the reef here is particularly deep, so unless you can free dive, you're not going to see much of anything from the surface. I can free dive, but my boyfriend is a beginner. Even so, I didn't think the marine life or coral were varied or that impressive, and the shipwrecks are more or less pieces as you can see in the photos.

Perhaps my previous experiences are shining a poor light on this one; in past snorkel trips, I've had amazing guides who actually got in the water with you and pointed out marine life or coral. Sonny stayed dry in the boat and took calls on his cellphone.

If you're going to do a snorkel tour, going on a small boat is definitely the way to go and I give Sonny props for that part. I can't imagine having 50 people in there snorkeling with you.

I wouldn't recommend this snorkel trip to beginners; we saw more and had a better time snorkeling on our own at Church Bay and Tobacco Bay.

Visited August 2013
10 Thank BranAndKrys

North Ridgeville, Ohio
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Highlight of Our Trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I were coming to Bermuda on an NCL cruise. When we decided we were going to go snorkeling, I began my research. Thanks to tripadvisor.com, I found Sonny! We booked Sonny for Sunday, September 8, 2013. We packed our own water and towels and made sure to bring cash for payment. We also brought along our own underwater camera. Good thing we did, as Sonny shared some people have been less than careful when using his, and he no longer has them available. When we arrived, Sonny shared that the other couple who had reserved a space did not show up. I’m sure other companies may have thought this trip would be a loss of revenue and wasted time for them and cancel. Not Sonny! He said it was to our advantage as now my husband and I would be able to “design our own experience”.

As never having snorkeled before, we chose to go out about 20 minutes to a shallow (maybe 10-15’ deep) reef area. Sonny explained the basics – and was very patient with us. I had difficulty at first, but put my mind to it and ended up having an INCREDIBLE experience! The water is so salty; you basically float, with minimal effort of swimming. Only occasionally did I hear the soundtrack from Jaws in the back of my mind :-) !!

After what I thought was about 20 minutes, I asked my husband how long I had been in the water: he said over 2 hours!!! I hopped into the boat as Sonny was swimming over. He asked if anything was wrong. I apologized and said I couldn’t believe I was in the water for so long! Sonny was so kind and said it wasn’t any problem that he didn’t have any place else to be, and if we wanted to stay in longer, that was fine!! I thanked him again for his generosity but felt I had really received MORE than my money’s worth and we could head back.

When I got into the boat, Sonny had caught 2 LOBSTERS for us to see!! A 7 pound male and a 5 pound female!!!! He shared all sorts of info about them which was fascinating and then had me put the female back in the water because she had not laid any eggs yet.

I can’t encourage anyone reading this enough…………. If you are looking for a snorkel tour, PLEASE consider snorkelbermuda.com. When it comes to vacationing, this is probably THE BEST experience we have ever had!!

Sonny – you may be reading this as you are vacationing in Costa Rica right now – THANK YOU AGAIN!!

Visited September 2013
11 Thank Kristin Z
Putnam, Connecticut
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Wouldn't have missed this Snorkeling excursion for anything !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

What a fantastic snorkeling trip, there were 14 family members who went. Which made it that much more fun. We were picked up by a Beautiful Huge Catamaran. The water in Bermuda is Absolutely gorgeous and what lies beneath the sea is so amazing ! The captain took us on a couple of dives. One was a ship wreck and the other was living coral reefs.
Had to be one of the most beautiful snorkeling dives we had ever been on. Can't wait to go back to do it all again. We highly recommend it to anyone who loves the ocean. You won't be sorry !

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Luvinlife143
Scotland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Could not have been better, made my vacation..”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

What a great afternoon on the water. I went with my wife, we both love to snorkel. Sonny has great knowledge and took us to amazing locations where we had a blast. There were three other couples on the charter who seemed to having a great time too. What a passionate guy Sonny is, he truly loves what he does and it shows from his tours. Cant wait until next year when we go back to Bermuda..

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Livio F
Montclair, NJ
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Superlative Snorkeling w/ Sonny”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

We recently had a great snorkeling trip in Bermuda, thanks to our guide, Sonny. His philosophy is to keep the trip groups small, focused on snorkeling, and free of all the other distractions that add cost and time to what should be a two-hour kind of activity. We had a beautiful day (after a rainy morning-weather clears up very quickly) and had a wonderful experience. Two of the people in our party had not snorkeled before, and Sonny gave them clear instructions and confidence - they had a blast. It was like being inside an aquarium full of indigo blue, yellow-striped, black-spotted, and iridescent fish swimming along side of us. We looked at a few wrecks, enjoyed the gorgeous blue water, and had a remarkable afternoon...and didn't waste a lot of time and money on a trip 1-2 hours longer because the boats are bigger and take longer to get to the snorkeling site. This is a must do activity - but only with Sonny!

Visited August 2013