“Don't hesitate to book with Sonny!”
Review of Snorkel Bermuda

Snorkel Bermuda
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Don't hesitate to book with Sonny!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I have never snorkeled before, and we went out with Sonny last week while in Bermuda on the Norwegian Dawn. We had booked with him for Sunday afternoon, but when Sonny came to meet up with us, he said the black clouds we could see in the distance were headed in exactly the same direction that we would be. We were able to reschedule for Monday afternoon, but we were so bummed because we would have been the only people there on Sunday, and we were sure there would be others on Monday. Lo and behold, when we showed up Monday afternoon, we were again his only passengers! As many others have mentioned, Sonny will not hesitate to take out only two people. He told us a bit about the dockyard area, and explained about the shipwrecks when we got out near them. Sonny makes sure that you won't be surrounded by anyone on the massive excursions, as well. He moored a decent distance away from the other boat, and was ready to go away from there entirely until he realized everyone on the excursion was getting out of the water anyway.

The coral was so incredibly beautiful where he took us, the remnants from the shipwrecks are really interesting, and there were more fish than I could ever have expected. A lot of the fish swim right around you, and then there are some very beautiful colorful fish deeper down in the coral. We had a good amount of time to swim around, and I got out of the water willingly when I asked Sonny what time it was and he said 4:30. My boyfriend and I both had a feeling that he wouldn't have even made me get out of the water for a little while longer if I didn't want to, because he is such a nice guy, but I didn't want to hold him up (because he is such a nice guy!).

I had read about this trip already on TripAdvisor, so I knew that Sonny doesn't bring you drinks or anything and we brought water bottles. He told us before we left that he would stop at the gas station if we needed to pick anything up, though. Also, as others have mentioned (and Sonny tells you flat-out when you call him), he will not provide any kind of flotation device. My boyfriend and I are very competent swimmers, but are by no means Olympians, and it was no sweat whatsoever. We had pretty calm seas that day, but don't be concerned about not having a noodle or vest if you're a decent swimmer and as long as deep water (about 20 feet) won't make you nervous. The water is actually so salty I spent half of the time just doing a dead-man's float with my face in the water, not even having to move to keep afloat!

Of everything we did during our time in Bermuda, this was the only activity that we said we would not hesitate to spend money on again when we go back. If you can swim, definitely book this trip...unless you feel a burning desire to pay $20-$30 more per person to snorkel with 40 other people and get a can of soda or a swizzle on the way back.

3 Thank Dori1230

Seacoast New Hampshire
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Great trip!”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We really enjoyed our snorkeling adventure with Sonny. He was easy-going and informative. My husband and I were the only ones on the 3 p.m. boat. I was surprised and pleased that he didn't cancel. Sonny warned us that the conditions might be a little rough and my husband is not a tremendously confident swimmer, but it was really fine for both of us. We had an excellent time exploring two old shipwrecks and seeing all the fish that were around them. I would do it again in a heartbeat! One thing, though. We went with the expectation of being able to borrow an underwater camera - having read the previous reviews. Unfortunately, they were all broken. So if you are counting on that, you should check first. I figured we would have trouble getting really good pictures anyway, so instead we just enjoyed the beautiful fish and lovely reef. Oh, by the way, he is not in the phone book here - or maybe he is now under Sonny's snorkeling tours, so look him up online.

3 Thank GinnaS
Hampton, Virginia
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Wonderful snorkel trip”
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Sonny was a great guide for this trip to two shipwrecks not far from the Dockyards. He was very attentive in answering e-mails and returned our phone call very quickly the morning of our trip (we called last minute to see about availability). It turns out he had room that same afternoon we called and assured us the weather and water condition would allow us to go out to the wrecks as opposed to alternate snorkel sites. There ended up being only four people on the tour total and he still took us out. We enjoyed the short ride to the wrecks and Sonny told us all the story of the ships that we would be looking at. With the quick boat and small operation, we were able to snorkel for a little over an hour and were able to get back faster than the larger, more touristy snorkel tours. If you have experience/are not afraid of open water, then this tour is for you! If you need a catered snorkel trip with bottled water, swim noodles, snacks, and have a fuss made over you, this is not the trip you want.

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Snorkel Bermuda”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were visiting Bermuda while on a cruise and this was the first time I had ever snorkeled. Sonny was awesome and made me feel right at ease. Sonny gave us info about the area and the sunken ships. This trip held 10 people and the day we went there was only two other people plus my husband and I. Now crowds and much information and attention was given. My underwater took excellent pictures of many beautiful color fish and the sunken boat below. Highly encourage this trip no matter what your skill level. snorkelbermuda.com

1 Thank DebbieNapoli
Philadelphia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Serious Snorkeling with Sunny”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

If you are an experienced snorkeler who wants to have a great snorkel experience, Sunny is your man. Unlike many of the other snorkel/glass bottom boat/catamaran cruises, Sunny is all about snorkeling-don't expect any of the amenities on the larger boats such as water, snacks, drinks,or floats. He does, however, provide masks, snorkels, and fins. And, unlike many other snorkeling trips which stay close to shore, Sunny's small boat speeds you out to a reef where you snorkel over two shipwrecks-the Constellation (which was featured in the movie The Deep) and the Montana. Please keep in mind that Sunny's snorkeling trip isn't for everyone. If you are not a good swimmer and/or are not comfortable swimming in water over your head without a float or life jacket, you might want to consider another type of snorkeling trip. However, if you are a serious snorkeler, you will have an memorable experience with Sunny.