“Spittal pond nature reserve visit”

Spittal Pond Nature Reserve
Book In Advance
More Info
$55.99*
and up
Half-Day St George's Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #85 of 244 things to do in Bermuda
More attraction details
Owner description: Sixty acres of nature trails, great for bird watching.
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Easy to walk around, good volcanic fossil structurs and dramatic views of the ocean. Some good bird and butterfly watching.

1  Thank angela j
"trails"
"muddy"
"island"

Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I visited the reserve while on a cruise and figured it would be crowded since two cruise ships were in Bermuda at the time - we were the only ones there! Just took our time looking at all the plants, birds and lizards. The best part was that we were able to get to the shore and sit, relax and listen to the waves hit the rocks. I took the best videos ever. So beautiful and tranquil. We've been to Bermuda several times, but never thought of doing this, so were we
very happy we did something different this time. Well worth the visit there!

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I arrived at the park on a hot, sunny, beautiful day. We took lunch on the shore. Except for a couple of people walking dogs (leashed), I think we were the only ones there. What a treat! Saw lots of birds; both terrestrial and shore birds, many varieties of snails and the limpet most people don't see. Also saw many skinks along the rocky shore-grass interface. You have to be patient to catch a photo of these little ones. We could not approach too closely to the marsh, but that was OK because the birds came to us. The only drawback was the lack of garbage receptacles. Where there were cans, they were overflowing. All-in-all a fantastic way to spend an afternoon if you are willing to wait and watch for the beauty all around. Take lots of drinking water.

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I appeared to be the only visitor the other morning - around 11am. I parked on the Eastern side and its a short sloping walk down through a gate into the reserve. Wild chickens ambushed me as I got out of the car, butterflies took flight as I opened the gate, but no other people in sight or sound. Walk to the coast, away from the pond and the power of the waves crashing on the rocks at your feet is hypnotic. Then a warm sheltered walk through bushes and trees, well demarcated path, but not suited to push hairs or wheelchairs because of the roots criss crossing the paths at all angles. Climb up the hill and you will find "Spanish Rock" where early Portugese sailors were thought to shelter. It is not a long walk, rather an hour spent quietly away from the scooters and people. In many ways this is not an attraction, it is a park set aside to protect local wildlife and plants. There are no labels or informative signs so you need to get the booklet of local fauna from the bookshop before going here if you want to know what you are looking at. I took plenty of photos to come home and identify them retrospectively.
In conclusion, a place to catch up with yourself, relax and get some gentle exercise.

3  Thank Katie906
See more reviews
Reviewed July 8, 2013

As we were staying across the street from Spittal Pond, we had to go! Plus we have visited the park before on a previous visit.

Spittal Pond Reserve is a great place to go if you want to get away from the crowds, and we hiked around here for about an hour and a half to two hours - and didn't encounter any other people. Of course we encountered chickens and lizards, but we had the place to ourselves.

This is a great place to go if you want to sit and watch the waves come in. At the time of our visit, it was very windy and the water was rough. We were down by the checkerboard, sitting on the rocks, and the waves would crash into the openings beneath the rocks. Lots of spray, and the occasional boom from the water added to the thrill.

Is this the typical Bermuda attraction? No, but it is a nice place to visit, and possibly have a picnic in seclusion. Enjoy.