“Bermuda's less touristy and natural side beckons”

Spittal Pond Nature Reserve
Book In Advance
More Info
$55.99*
and up
Half-Day St George's Sightseeing Tour
Ranked #85 of 244 things to do in Bermuda
More attraction details
Owner description: Sixty acres of nature trails, great for bird watching.
Reviewed December 17, 2012

When I stumbled upon the back entrance to this park, I couldn't believe the beauty that was just around the corner. I went early in the morning and had the park almost entirely to myself. While most tourists were busy in noisy Hamilton or on tours, I was enjoying the stunning rocky sea views and the marvels of nature that surrounded me.

The chirping of birds, the warm Winter sun on my skin, the sounds of the crashing waves, the wind blowing through the palm tree leaves and the meandering paths allowed me to totally unplug from the hustle and bustle of my trip to Hamilton the day before.

This place is perfect for a picnic, a family outing, friends who want some exercise or for travelers looking to enjoy Bermuda's less touristy and natural side. I would have to say my day at Spittal Pond was the best part of my trip. It was so pretty and peaceful, I went back a second time.

3  Thank SartellStudios
"trails"
"muddy"
"island"

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Were there last week. Very hot day, lots of walking but its worth it. A pond right next to crashing waves on rocks. Great way to cool off on a very hot day!

Reviewed January 31, 2012

This is an unspoiled area with a great variety of birds and tropical vegetation. The walk to the rocks overlooking the ocean is rough but well worth the views at the end of the hike. We were able to sit on the rocks to have a picnic. The bus from Hamilton dropped us off close to the entrance.

3  Thank lovetotravel876
Reviewed December 9, 2011

I like hiking, but the entrance in to Spittal Pond takes you past cow pastures, up and down muddy poorly kept paths quite a ways in before you get to 'the good stuff': the rocks and sighting of the ocean, anyplace, even, scenic enough to set down a blanket and have a picnic. The way 'out' is unclear (signs don't let you know, accurately, that you'll end up in a second 'car park' than the one you came in at) so you'll probably, like us, walk up along the rather boring South Road to get back to your vehicle. I'd heard it was 'lovely', but prefer, myself, Hog Bay or Shelly Bay. I would probably not, having seen this, twice, return with visitors or recommend it to those visiting us.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Bermuda has 65,000 people on a 20-mile long island, so the small nature parks are oases for locals. Spittal Pond is the nicest and largest of island's parks that people can reach easily (there are some uninhabited islands that are better-preserved and home to rare species, but you need a boat to get to those). It has some nice, short walking trails and an impressive view of the ocean, as well as some grafitti from marooned Portguese sailors in 1543 for you archaeologists. If you are in Bermuda on holidays in North America and Europe, you will probably find the park a bit small, and if you don't like walks through the forest then you probably won't find it interesting at all. But I liked it.

1  Thank Quebermuda