“Beautiful Ride While on the Trail, Hazardous When Off” 4 of 5 bubbles

and up
Railway Trail Bike and Beach Tour in Bermuda
Ranked #52 of 240 things to do in Bermuda
More attraction details
Owner description: Once the location of the Bermuda Railway, now a walking and biking trail that provides excellent opportunities to see the island by foot.
hartford, CT
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Beautiful Ride While on the Trail, Hazardous When Off”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I rented a bike from Eve's at the Dockyard after walking over from our cruise ship. Beyond providing a map that I could have gotten from the tourist booth, they weren't a great help beyond "remember to ride on the left side". The trail itself is wonderful, many areas are shaded by canopies of trees from both sides. But getting to the trail - along the main road - is a little dangerous and requires a lot of caution. I rode from the Dockyard into the center of Hamilton and returned on the ferry. The cars and buses were generally patient with riders, no horn blowing or buzzing close by. But there is virtually no shoulder and you may graze the branches staying over to the left. There were times when I simply couldn't find the trail when it crossed over Middle Road and I wound up biking up some difficult and winding hills. The surface varies from asphalt to hard dirt to a sandy area which was particularly slippery.

Great views of the bay, you can see all the way back to the Dockyard. I went about 100 yards up the hill at Gibb's Lighthouse before common sense kicked in and I went back to riding the trail. Bring water; there are no businesses on the trail itself though I found several markets on my wayward trip. I bought a 1.75 liter bottle of Desani water (cold) at the Modern Mart coming in Paget for $1.90 and they gave me change in US dollars (thank you).

I was quite relieved to hit Stowe Hill on my way into Hamilton (all downhill) and into a roundabout to Front Street in Hamilton. Yes, it's the major downtown street. Yes, there were trucks, cars, and scooters galore. Pedestrians crossing away from intersections were a greater hazard, the drivers allowed me safe passage. The ride in all took about 2.5 hours, it would have been a bit faster if I could have stayed on the trail more often.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank makeham98

Cardiff-by-the-Sea, California
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Nice trail for walking or jogging”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

This trail follows the old railway (hence the clever name) and is a nice way to see some off-the-road sights. Be warned, it does break up and cross main roads in some spots, and it requires keeping a sharp eye on the ground, but worth checking out for walking or (in the right season) running.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank cardiffdiver
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Solitude in Bermuda”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

Our family of 5 (including 3 children ages 6 - 12 years) walked a stretch of about 4 miles (Somerset to the edge of Sandy's Parish) and thoroughly enjoyed the beautiful water views, solitude and outdoor experience of this wonderful "trail". Virtually the entire stretch we walked was paved, but it often cuts through the Bermudan "wilderness" so you hear the sounds of birds, water splashing against the shore, and the general sounds of nature. There are sections that meander through residential neighborhoods, but even these sections were generally quiet and well-suited for walking. We are looking forward to our next trip to Bermuda to pick up the trail where we left off. We highly recommend a walk through the Railway Trail.

Visited July 2013
3 Thank esmarti
nc
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 106 helpful votes
“hidden gem in bermuda”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

if you like to be walk and be outdoors, you will like this trail. it is a great alternative to the beach and much of the trail is shaded. on the western end, there are neighborhoods, parks, small beaches and forts to keep it interesting. you will pass through villages. when you get tired you can walk to main road and hop on a bus. bring a good map, water, and shoes. it can also be done on a pedal bicycle.

Visited June 2013
2 Thank travelmansam
Bethesda, Maryland
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Some spots lack direction/signs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

We enjoyed walking on various points of the Railway trail but there are some parts of it that are not well marked and some seem very isolated.

Visited June 2013