“A Gem”

and up
Railway Trail Bike and Beach Tour in Bermuda
Ranked #52 of 242 things to do in Bermuda
More attraction details
Owner description: Once the location of the Bermuda Railway, now a walking and biking trail that provides excellent opportunities to see the island by foot.
Frederick, Maryland
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“A Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I've known of the Railway Trail for years, but this is the first time I've actually taken the time to hike some of it. What a great addition to Bermuda this is! This is really a great way to experience some of the off-the-beaten-path places and culture of Bermuda. We hiked basically from Gibb's Hill Lighthouse to Somerset Village. We were told that would be about 7-9 miles. The path is sometimes dirt and some paved. Bikes are allowed. What is nice is that you see lots of nice homes along the way along with some of the small farms. The flora and fauna that lines much of the path is outstanding. It has many areas to view and walk down to the waters edge. There are some benches for resting placed sporadically along the path. The path in many areas is a major cut through the limestone, which is interesting to see the layers and structure. Other areas are flora covered tunnels that are bristling with flowers and bird life. Beautiful!

This is one attraction that should not be missed. It works especially well for those windy days when the beach is not the best, but the weather is still sunny and nice. A nice pair of hiking sandals or tennis shoes are all you need.

1 Thank Scott L

Concord, New Hampshire
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“Billy Goat Climb to Gibbs' Hill Lighthouse”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Warning! This path is not for the physically challenged. It also separates those who are in shape from those who are not. I've decided I belong to the latter group. You will find this cardio-vascular challenge from the portion of the Railway Trail that parallels Middle Rd. in Southhampton Parish. A sign will point you to the Lighthouse. I cannot tell you the exact length of the path, but I can tell you it ascends at what seems greater than a 45 degree angle. After you've huffed and puffed your way almost to the end, you're greeted by a huge flight of concrete steps to the driveway leading to the Lighthouse. I have previously visited here (by moped, not walking) and had decided not to go to the top of the Lighthouse. I was sure my husband would do so since it has always been one of his favorite spots in Bermuda. Well, after scaling the path, he looked at me like I was bonkers to suggest he go up even one more step. I will tell you that going down the path instead of up was pure joy!

3 Thank ElaineK76
Charlotte, NC
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Safe scenic walking in Bermuda”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Aside from the south shore beaches, the traffic on its narrow roads make it hard to find a safe place to take a long walk in Bermuda. So last week we took the #8 bus from the Dockyard to the intersection of Lighthouse Road and Middle Road. A few yards from there we got on the Railway Trail at the start of its longest continuous section. There are a few hills where I guess trestles have been removed, and a few paved sections on which an occasional car passes, but generally the trail is flat, unpaved, and only for walkers and bikes. This is a beautiful trail - not for the vistas but for the trees, flowers, wild fruits (loquat and pitanga), the backyard views of a side of Bermuda that most tourists never see. Much of the trail is cut trough solid limestone and overhung with exuberant semitropical trees. From the trail's end near Hamilton we walked into town, the narrow sidewalks and heavy traffic reminding us how special a place we had found.

3 Thank drmhr
Salem, NH
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 182 helpful votes
“Beautiful trails”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I routinely go on rail trails as I go geocaching quite a bit. The rail trail in Bermuda is 21 miles long and while I didn't complete the entire trail I will be back next year. Beautiful vistas and covered flower laden alcoves are a wonderful part of this rail trail. To me it is the most beautiful trail ever.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank ThatsAGiven
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Take a hike!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Walking in Bermuda can be tricky once you leave town. The roads are narrow, there are few sidewalks and there are lots of blind corners. The Newstead Belmont shuttle dropped us at the Railway Trail and we hiked from Paget Parish to Southampton. It was a lovely way to walk and we were able to see the homes, farms, flora and those infamous feral roosters that you'd otherwise miss in a taxi or on a bus. There are detailed maps of the trail available at visitor centres and hotels.

4 Thank Muggette60