“Billy Goat Climb to Gibbs' Hill Lighthouse”

Bermuda Railway Trail
Book In Advance
More Info
$79.98*
and up
Railway Trail Bike and Beach Tour in Bermuda
Ranked #53 of 241 things to do in Bermuda
More attraction details
Owner description: Once the location of the Bermuda Railway, now a walking and biking trail that provides excellent opportunities to see the island by foot.
Concord, New Hampshire
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 124 helpful votes
“Billy Goat Climb to Gibbs' Hill Lighthouse”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Warning! This path is not for the physically challenged. It also separates those who are in shape from those who are not. I've decided I belong to the latter group. You will find this cardio-vascular challenge from the portion of the Railway Trail that parallels Middle Rd. in Southhampton Parish. A sign will point you to the Lighthouse. I cannot tell you the exact length of the path, but I can tell you it ascends at what seems greater than a 45 degree angle. After you've huffed and puffed your way almost to the end, you're greeted by a huge flight of concrete steps to the driveway leading to the Lighthouse. I have previously visited here (by moped, not walking) and had decided not to go to the top of the Lighthouse. I was sure my husband would do so since it has always been one of his favorite spots in Bermuda. Well, after scaling the path, he looked at me like I was bonkers to suggest he go up even one more step. I will tell you that going down the path instead of up was pure joy!

Visited May 2013
3 Thank ElaineK76

Charlotte, NC
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Safe scenic walking in Bermuda”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Aside from the south shore beaches, the traffic on its narrow roads make it hard to find a safe place to take a long walk in Bermuda. So last week we took the #8 bus from the Dockyard to the intersection of Lighthouse Road and Middle Road. A few yards from there we got on the Railway Trail at the start of its longest continuous section. There are a few hills where I guess trestles have been removed, and a few paved sections on which an occasional car passes, but generally the trail is flat, unpaved, and only for walkers and bikes. This is a beautiful trail - not for the vistas but for the trees, flowers, wild fruits (loquat and pitanga), the backyard views of a side of Bermuda that most tourists never see. Much of the trail is cut trough solid limestone and overhung with exuberant semitropical trees. From the trail's end near Hamilton we walked into town, the narrow sidewalks and heavy traffic reminding us how special a place we had found.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank drmhr
Salem, NH
75 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 183 helpful votes
“Beautiful trails”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I routinely go on rail trails as I go geocaching quite a bit. The rail trail in Bermuda is 21 miles long and while I didn't complete the entire trail I will be back next year. Beautiful vistas and covered flower laden alcoves are a wonderful part of this rail trail. To me it is the most beautiful trail ever.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank ThatsAGiven
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Take a hike!”
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Walking in Bermuda can be tricky once you leave town. The roads are narrow, there are few sidewalks and there are lots of blind corners. The Newstead Belmont shuttle dropped us at the Railway Trail and we hiked from Paget Parish to Southampton. It was a lovely way to walk and we were able to see the homes, farms, flora and those infamous feral roosters that you'd otherwise miss in a taxi or on a bus. There are detailed maps of the trail available at visitor centres and hotels.

4 Thank Muggette60
London, United Kingdom
419 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 660 helpful votes
“A good way to see the interior of Bermuda away from the beaches and hotels.”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

If you are interested in cycling or walking the Bermuda railway trail then try to pick up the Map and Guide leaflet produced by the Department of Parks and available in the tourist information centres. It breaks the available trail into 9 sections throughout the island and explains where you have to cross roads or use them where the former train route no longer exists.
We walked a couple of the sections during our weeks stay and the best bit we encountered was from Church Road to Rural Hill in the Warwick Parish which has the route going through the rural heartland and away from the three main road ways. It’s also easy to visit Gibbs Hill Lighthouse or take a detour to the fabulous South Shore beaches from this section of the former railway.

Visited March 2013