All reviews uncle roddy princess diana fish steel drum band humming birds visiting friends wild donkeys beaches in the world beach towels great beach ferry island hostess porch fins vacation sailboat
Reviewed October 16, 2012

BARBUDA
A Beautiful Island, Beautiful Beaches, Beautiful People, and an Excellent Vacation Destination
This is an Island that I had never heard of and had to look on a map to find it. I found out about the Barbuda Cottages web site, took one look and thought, “I want to go there”, and my wife agreed.
We flew to Antigua and took a small plane (Kelcina arranges this flight) for 15 minutes to get to the Island which was a great adventure in itself. We met our hostess Kelcina at the Airport, as she had directed us by email, after we booked her place. Kelcina was just as wonderful in person as she was in her emails. She greeted us at the airport as if she had known us all our lives. It was a warm and wonderful welcome. After a small tour of the island, we arrived at the cottage and it was every bit as beautiful as the web site pictures had indicated. The fridge was stocked with cold beer, soft drinks and wine that Kelcina had arranged in advance for us. Once at the Cottage Kelcina gave us a cell phone to call in an emergency or if we just wanted to talk to her for information.
Kelcina lives in town and after ensuring you are set up properly, she leaves you alone to do your own thing. Close to the Cottage is the only other resident for miles, Uncle Roddy who runs a restaurant and is also Kelcinas’ father. Kelcina, via email, had arranged for us to have dinner at Uncle Roddys on our first evening. Lobster grilled on the BBQ, we could hardly wait! The first day we spent at the Cottage beach, with two lounge chairs and a cute beach shelter that was only for our use. They supply nice beach towels and snorkeling equipment. It amazed us that we were the only people on the beach. The ocean was beautiful and crystal blue and just steps from the Cottage. That night we were the only two people at Uncle Roddy’s and he was a wonderful host, the meal was amazing. We ended up having dinner at Uncle Roddy’s four times that week and each meal was great and we were the only guests each night. One night my wife ordered a Gin and Tonic and she asked Roddy if he had a lime for her drink, he strolled a few steps off the porch and picked a lime right off the tree, cut in up and put in her drink. He did this like it was the most natural thing in the world to do.
We were told about four places on the Island that were “must see” and did them in a random order as we had a vehicle. The Island is small (10kmsX16kms) and the Cottage provides two good bicycles but having a vehicle helps to get around.
The First stop was the Pink Sand Beach. We walked 5 kms up and then back down the Beach and never saw another person. It is a beautiful Beach with pink sand as advertised. The next day we went to Spanish Point and it was an amazing spot to look at the Ocean. It was breathtaking.
The following day we went to Access Beach and spent the day there. We were told it is the most beautiful beach in the Caribbean. I have been to many Beaches in Cuba, Jamaica, US Virgin Islands, Mexico, Aruba to name a few and this Beach was by far the most beautiful! We saw one fishing boat go by and a sailboat but all day it was just us on the most beautiful fluffy sand beach and incredible blue warm ocean water.
Another great spot was Two Foot bay at the North end of the Island. We stopped in town on our way and saw Kelcina at her store and had some nice cold Wadali Beers. Once again, she was a gracious host with a wonderful sense of humour. Two Foot Bay turned out to be another great spot. There are large cliffs with well-travelled paths with handrails to lead you to top of the cliffs where you enjoy a spectacular view of the Beach and Ocean! I could have spent the entire week at the Cottage and on the beach just outside our front door and been happy but going to these other places on the Island made the week even more incredible. This is by far the best vacation destination I have ever been too. Few people, no crowds, great Beaches and accommodations and in addition to Kelcina and Roddy the people on the Island were friendly and I felt safer there than anywhere I have gone in the world. Barbuda Cottages is the best holiday I have ever been on.
Highly recommended and my wife and I will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Pete S
Reviewed May 29, 2012

…better is not possible!
If you are looking for a wonderful place, away from everything and everyone this is the cottage and this is the island for you. It's heaven.
The cottage is beautiful, equipped with everything you need. You feel like you have the whole place to yourself and the cottage is as charming and beautiful as it looks in the photos on the website.
Kelcina, the owner, is gracious and hospitable and she provide everything to make your holiday perfect...
For us this is a special place because we have decided to get married here and it was a wonderful experience. For our wedding we couldn’t ask for anything better !
Also our wedding lunch organized by Kelcina and cooked by "Uncle Roddy’s" was delicious.
Barbuda is a beautiful island, a wild paradise.
The best place to escape from stress and live the sea and the nature.
There is nothing else to do and this is fantastic !
In Codrington village you can find some little shops to buy foods and drink... it take about 15 min drive from the cottage to the village ( so you need a car …).
The beaches are pristine, the location is private and relaxing . I can't say enough about this place…
..enjoy your stay in paradise !
We hope to come back in the near future...

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank domi74
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I was amazed by our stay at Barbuda Cottage. I have been to beaches all over the world, but I can honestly say that Barbuda Cottage on the island of Barbuda has been our favorite Caribbean destination and one of our best beach vacations ever. Why? Our experience was like being Robinson Crusoe on a paradise island. The three bedroom cottage is ocean front with a commanding view of the turquoise Caribbean. The sunsets over the sea, while sitting on the beach or on the front porch, were stunning. We had our own private beach, complete with two sun loungers and a shade palapa. Where else in the Caribbean can one find a beautiful beach and crystal clear water completely devoid of people? Nowhere! Barbuda is truly the final frontier of a pristine, unspoiled Caribbean island. What made our trip so special is the actual Barbuda Cottage itself and Kelcina George, the owner. Kelcina and her husband built the cottage and plan to build more. She is great about responding to emails and will provide everything that you need. The cottage was extremely stylish and comfortable with every needed amenity (there's even an outdoor grill). There is no other accomodation like it on the island, your only other choices are a $2,000 per night at one of the two resorts or a simple guest room in the Codrington Village. Remember - Barbuda Cottages affords complete privacy and is oceanfront/ beach front! It is a luxury. With a little careful planning, you can have a fabulous self catering stay. Here's how we did it: we purchased all of our wine and groceries (produce, cold cuts, cheese, frozen hamburger, pasta, sauces, chips, etc) from the Epicurean Grocery in Antigua. I had a flexible fabric Igloo cooler that I used to pack the meat and cheese and used the white wine to keep the cooler cold. Canned tomato sauce went in our checked baggage. Sadly, we lost an entire day in Barbuda because the Barbuda Express ferry broke down. We were taking the ferry in order to carry our wine and food, however, it turns out that the ferry was completely unnecessary (along with being unreliable). We ended up flying on SVG Air the next day and they gladly took all of our wine and food and all we had to paid was an extra $25 (completely worth it). In addition, it's only a 20 minute flight and is inexpensive. They allow 44 pounds in a checked bag. Because of this planning, we had fabulous Italian dinners with excellent wine by candlelight on the front porch of the cottage and yummy picnics too. Fresh eggs and bread along with beer and rum can be purchased on Barbuda, but it's best to take everything else with you. There's also Uncle Roddy's next door for grilled lobster, fish and chicken so we had a a great blend of eating in and eating out. Having the kind Uncle Roddy (Kelcina's father) next door is also comforting because he was always able to help out if you needed something, like fresh bread, from the village.
There is so much to do in Barbuda. We loved our "private" beach, but also liked exploring Coco Point and the Pink Beach. A boat trip to the frigate bird sanctuary with a stop at Low Bay is also a must. Renting a car is not necessary. We could call a taxi whenever we needed it using the cell phone in the cottage. The stars at night were magical and yes, the rainbow in the picture is real! I do recommend taking some Caladryl lotion and Deet for sand flea bites.

For an absolutely stunning beach vacation, amazing sunsets and comfort, Barbuda Cottages is the place to stay! You will be thrilled to stay there. I didn't realize that places like this still exist in the Caribbean. I hope to go back some day.

Room Tip: Don't take Barbuda Express ferry. Fly on SVG Air. Do take your wine and food from Antigua - it's easy! Stay as long as you can!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank JPSWashington_DC
Reviewed December 26, 2011

I so recommend Barbuda cottages to any one that is looking to enjoy the sun, sand and culture without the tourism, tourists and huge financial burden.

Service,

Kelcina and Oliver (owners), are absolutely gracious and hospitable hosts. From booking, to picking you up at the airport, supplying groceries and liquor upon request, making sure that you feel completely taken care of, while being out of site to enjoy and relax. They were always a phone call away to help and on site when you needed something. They were focused on making sure your stay was top priority.

Value,

Unbelievably reasonably priced for having ocean front property. The other resorts on the island were over $1000 a night for a room, while the 3 bedroom Barbuda Cottage was around $1500 a week. For the sun, sand, ocean sounds and a cottages that has all the amenities you need exceptional value.

Sleep Quality,

Clean and new king and queen sized beds, all with ocean views, 50 ft from the ocean. The last sound I heard when I fell asleep were the waves and the crickets. The first sound I heard when I woke up was the sound of the waves on the beach. Extremely relaxing and restful.

Cleanliness,

The cottage was built two years ago and is in great shape. It is elevated on posts so it rests about 15 off the ground so that keeps a lot of ground stuff out of the cottage. The cottage itself was very clean and tidy. I found that with opening the front doors (leaving screen closed) and the back windows I got a great breeze right through the cottage that helped keep cool. The cottage has everything that you need, full kitchen with micro wave, full fridge, Propane stove/oven as well as laundry washer, two full bathrooms, ceiling fans in every room including the two on the front porch and a Propane BBQ. They also have an outdoor shower for rinsing off the beach or to shower completely. Kelcina has been busy planting around the cottage with banana trees, pomegranate bushes a variety of flowering plants that kept the butterflies and humming birds coming by. Everything is solar powered and there was no shortage of power for us day or night. If you wanted to keep in touch with the world outside they have wireless internet, fast enough that I could watch some online video with the occasional wait here and there but for being so isolated I was amazed at the reception.

Location,

About 15 min drive out of the town of Codrington, with its own isolated beach, it is quiet and relaxing. From the front porch with my morning tea, I could gaze across the turquoise Caribbean Sea and see Antigua, Montserrat, Nevis and St. Kits. I have visited a number of Caribbean Islands and this is the first time I felt that I was truly part of the Caribbean Islands. Barbuda Cottages is located on the west side of the island and you get great sunsets. Be advised that if the wind is low there was the mosquito "witching hour" around sunset, luckily we had great breezes the pretty much the whole trip so they were not to bad. Understand that it is the islands and bugs are always going to be there.

The Island Barbuda,

This is a true Caribbean island has not been tainted by the tourist industry. Because most of the accommodations on the island are very expensive there are very few tourists. In the week we were there we pretty much had every beach that we went on to ourselves and the sand is as soft as flour. The water was around 23 Celcius and has that beautiful caribbean colour. Seeing the island does not take much time as it is pretty small, from the beautiful beaches on the west side to the volcanic rock caves and cliffs on the east side. One of my most favorite experiences was climbing through a small cave system to the top of the cliffs. I sat there for hours with the ocean wind on my face, sitting and watching the frigate birds, pelicans, ospreys and various seabirds ride the wind and up drafts off the cliffs with a great view of the Ocean.

What to do:

If you like lobster and conch there was plenty of this to eat as this is a main industry for the island. The Frigate bird sanctuary was interesting and a short boat ride away. We arranged a day of diving with Speedy, a local wonder of fixing boats (well pretty much anything), fishing and grilling lobster and pork chops on the grill. If you like spice talk to his wife, Rosalind who grows 12 of the worlds hottest peppers in her garden and makes her own hot sauces and peppered vodka. Wow

The island had a number of coral reefs and boat wrecks with plenty of fish and turtles that we saw. If you prefer snorkeling there are coral outcrops as close as 10 ft from the beach shore right in front of Barbuda cottages. Lots of little fish to see and plenty of quiet beaches to explore both in and out of the water.

The town of Codrington is small yet fun to visit. There is now a small bar and store at the main intersection great for meeting locals and mingling. We were there right before Christmas so they closed down the intersection to cars to have a social night for the locals of food, drinks and the local high school's steel drum band played with a DJ and karaoke. We only saw one other tourist that whole night a true feel of island culture.

Review,

If you are looking to beautiful beaches, sun, sand and a quiet relaxing getaway there is no better place then Barbuda Cottages. The island is small and untainted with tourism. The perfect Caribbean place to recharge your batteries.

I will return

Room Tip: Every room was good
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank Kynastontraveler
Reviewed July 24, 2011

This cottage on the beach was obviously built with relaxation in mind. Completed in late 2009, this building is of newer construction and tastefully furnished. There is a great deck out front with hammock and plenty of shade which is a bonus to anyone who wants to hear/see the ocean without dealing with sand. If sand on the beach is your thing, then just walk 50 feet down to the beach and your own private cabana.

You'll find that mornings and evenings will essentially leave you the entire beach to yourselves. Around lunch or dinner there may be a few diners at Uncle Roddy's restaurant next door (about 50 meters away). Overall, at the cottage and on Barbuda, it is easy to find oneself forgetting that there are other people on the island.

The cottage has a refrigerator for groceries, stove, oven as well as microwave. Just be sure to close food tightly so that the small beach ants don't get into them. Stove and oven run on gas but everything else relies on the solar power that runs the rest of the cottage. Other amenities include ceiling fans, TV and internet (should you want them) but sadly no air conditioning.

Take note of the season you are traveling in and the current conditions on the island. In the warmer times of the year, the average daily temperature will be very close to the average nightly temperature. This year the early rains brought sandflies with them. Therefore we had to mind the windows and doors to avoid them getting inside. It was a shame to miss out on the ocean breeze. Fortunately, we had the warm sunny days where we could relax on the deck unbothered by those little pests.

Some last things. The beach right out front is amazingly beautiful but don't forget to visit the other beaches on the island. They each have their own magic. Get some good food and good company from Uncle Roddy and say hi to Richie (the sweet dog). Rosalind is a saint should she be helping Kelcina out. Rosalind and her husband, Speedy, should have their restaurant open again soon. Be sure to go and ask for a "Rosalind pour" for your drinks. Also, Speedy gives a great boat tour to see the frigate birds and/or other hard-to-reach spots on the island. Enjoy some fishing and lobstering with great company and entertainment.

Barbuda was surely an island like few others and Barbuda Cottages was probably the best place to experience it without spending your life's savings. The people were lovely, the beaches amazing, and the trip was something we will be sure never to forget.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple