“Fun, comfortable, clean”

La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino
Reviewed August 3, 2010

The website doesn't do justice to the place. We've been here twice. Both times we arrived less than impressed (if you are expecting Westin or Hyatt you will be disappointed) but left happy, relaxed and surprisingly impressed with how easy, fun and comfortable this hotel is. The newly renovated rooms are clean and attractive , the beds are extremely comfortable and the mini kitchen and comfortable furniture make this place easy to relax in. Fun pool with bar nearly, slide for kids, even bigger slide next door at the Aruban (which La Cabana visitors can use), and tennis courts via the Aruban too (we played every day!). I would definitely recommend. Some negatives: we had to pay $35/week for the wi-fi, some noise from renovations (but never before 9:30AM), mini-mart poor quality.

There are newer reviews for La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino

Reviewed August 1, 2010

Big disapointment for this traveler. We had heard rumors they were renovating after we traded our time share but others had luck trading units. We did not - We were 'over ran' with construction the whole week. No front desk help at all - old smelly room with views of dumpsters. Sealed off hallways to the exterior so we had to hike all the way around the wings. And am fighting rashes on my stomach as a result from the linens.
I could see how this resort could be more in time, Just not this time. Looks like they are relying on their location to pull them through, Which is perfect for quiet beach and bus stop convienence.
I would not recommend this hotel right now to a friend

Reviewed July 24, 2010

The La Cabana Resort and Racquet Club exceeded our expectations while celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. Upon our arrival from the airport, we were greeted by the bellhops immediately! Our luggage was secured while we checked in. It took less than 15 minutes to get our keys and to pay the $200 incidentals fee. The front desk clerks were very professional and courteous. At first, our room was an unrenovated room on the 3rd floor. It had a strong stinch of mold and paint. We requested to move into a renovated room without incident. They granted our wishes and never said, "Sorry, we can't help you." They made it work for us. The Bluegreen Help Desk set up a tour of the resort (which is really their plan to sell your more timeshare points). They also took care of all of our restaurant and sightseeing reservations along with advice on where to shop and eat. They were really nice. Our renovated room came with everything we needed and more! One night, our room was freezing! That was great due to the heat and high humidity outside, though. The resort is very quiet at night! People are out or in with their "partners". During the day, restaurants are available at the resort. The Cinnabon had stale pastries under the ceiling fan all day. The Islander Grille was excellent with the exception of the birds and flies diving around inside. They have the BEST lemonade I've tasted in a while, though. The drinks at the bar was a bit watery for me. I guess it keeps the guests from getting drunk and rowdy. Take advantage during happy hour! The Carnival on Wednesday night was GREAT! The show was awesome and the participants were nice enough to take photos with the guests! The bus stop is not very far away so don't rent a car unless it is free from the Bluegreen tour. The cost for the bus is $1.30. Eagle Beach was GREAT! No problems getting a chair or hut. People were quiet and relaxing most of the day. Take advantage of the jet ski and paddle boat rentals.
The cost of food and personal hygiene products are expensive. The resort has Aruban soap (which is so good), but if you need other products it will cost!! Phone cards were easy to purchase with no problems. This trip was exceptional and I can't wait to return to the La Cabana Resort and Racquet Club!

Reviewed July 18, 2010

Wow....I don't know where to begin!! We LOVED Aruba and the La Cabana. It was a beautiful, incredible family trip, one in which we'll always remember. Was it perfect, no...., but then again...what is? I refer to them as minor imperfections!

First of all...check-in was a breeze. Yes...they did inform us of all the charges and possible charges up front, which I appreciate. There's nothing that can ruin a vacation more than charges you didn't know existed!! We had to either allow them to put a charge of $250.00 (which they deducted from) OR give them $250.00 in cash. We gave them the card, but when we checked out...we just paid for our expenses in cash. They took off the $250.00 charge.

The Bluegreen people did ask us to book a tour, which we did the next morning. We had a free breakfast, and we got a rental car for two days....which is the BEST way to tour the island. Don't bother booking a tour. It's nice to take your time and see the sights YOU want to see. If possible, rent a jeep instead of a car...it can go more places, especially if you'd like to see the Natural Pool. Other resorts will also approach you about touring, do so at your own risk. Just understand that sometimes they'll tell you that you can make like $200.00; however, it is NOT in cash or check. They give you vouchers to use at THEIR resorts and restaurants that are ususally very expensive. This happened to us when we toured the Marriott. Everything was overpriced, but we did find some good sales at the Juggling Fish.

Our room was GORGEOUS! However, our first room had a horrid smell, which turned out to be a gas leak!! Oh, LORD!!! They did move us, thank goodness, and all was well.

The pool area was wonderful. The water slide is fun, and I like how the security guards are around the pool....making sure all the kids and adults are safe and that no funny business is going on. My child was accidentally hit by a water toy, and her face started bleeding. They took extra special care of her right away and were very sweet.

The drinks ARE expensive. I'm not a drinker, but hey...I was on vacation!! I suggest that you only drink during happy hour to save you some dough.

Here are a few tips I have for you.

1. Pack light! They have a laudromat on each floor, so you can always wash clothes if you need to do so. You'll have to go to the second floor to obtain tokens. Each token is two dollars, and you'll need a token to wash and a token to dry...soooo four dollars to wash and dry one load.

2. DON'T FORGET ANYTHING!! I suggest that you make a list before packing and put those items in your suitcase. Our bag was lost, and I had to purchase sunscreen. I thought ten dollars would be plenty of money. I was WRONG. A bottle of sunscreen at the minimarket/pharmacy was $25.00!!! I did manage to find a tube of sunscreen for $10.50. It is REALLY expensive in Aruba...so save your money before going!!

3. La Cabana does supply you with some items, so do NOT pack them. If your suitcase weighs more than 50 pounds, they WILL charge you. The airline (well...at least Delta) allows you one suitcase per person. Here is a list of supplies La Cabana supplies:
a. hand soap
b. body wash
c. shampoo
d. dishwashing detergent

Make sure that you take a little plastic bag of laundry degergent,detergent for the dishwasher (if you hate washing dishes like me), and some paper towels.

4. Rent a jeep or car. It's much more fun and you can go and come as you pleas.

5. Check out these places, which are GREAT for families.
a. Butterfly Farm
b. Donkey Sanctuary
c. Ostrich Farm
d. Jolly Pirates
e. Old Fisherman Restaurant (the BEST seafood I've ever eaten)
f. The Islander Grill (on Wednesday night when they have Carnival
night with their buffet)

6. Don't forget your workout clothes. The gym at La Cabana is very well equipped. It was more than what I expected it to be.

7. Try some of the activites offered by the resort, especially the ones for the children. They are really good, and it gives you some time to relax by the beach or pool without having to worry about where your child is.

8. Have fun!!!

We would definitely return to La Cabana. We met some nice people and had a wonderful time!!!

2  Thank GustGin
Reviewed July 16, 2010

I stayed there beginning of July 2010.

Just FYI I will be staying there December, 2010

At the beginning when I checked in. I was given a suspicious look by front desk, ( I think Gi Gi or Dee ). The way we were checked in i felt that I was being checked into jail for my prison sentence. I lot of rules & money and up front. do not loose your towel card or there is a $ 20 fine. Do not misplace your wrist band or else and so on.......I never heard any thing to make me feel welcome. I had just checked out from the Riu Palace after 10 days of great staff so you know what it feels like.

Most of the other questions I was asked to talk to the Blue Green People they are the worst in the whole hotel. There are two or three of them and they work like a bureaucratic goverment office. They mostly chatted with each other and seemed like they were making fun of us. Most of the time when I passed by they were chatting or playing computer games. I asked for the menu and instead of giving it to me they just told me it is lying over there and they pointed behind them on a table.

At this point I was beginning to think what a mess I have got my self into. But that was it after that it was better all the way. I would think that the management should probably give these people some tips on making people feel welcome. In the Riu they handed us drinks as soon as you walk in. We felt welcome, i am not saying they should give everybody cool drinks but at least make them feel welcome. I think that this is a good place and you could easily have got the wrong impression.

Anyway after this it was generally better, phew!

Room: it seemed to be newly constructed, Little small but OK the amenities were OK the bathroom had shampoo & bathing soap & jacuzzi. There was a balcony, I was not disturbed by any noise from construction. The rooms were cleant properly and the maids were pleasant.

The hotel is under construction and I was aware of this before I checked in, nothing really bothered me they were careful not to cause any inconvenience. The only thing is that there was no water the day I was leaving so I left without flushing the tiolets or having a shower.

They have a restuarant for dinner the food is awesome. I did not take the all inclusive because it was way over priced. $ 120 a day we had 3 people so that was $ 360 a day, we spent comparatively less than that and had more choices than the hotel had to offer. Do not be suckered in to all inclusive, I stayed at the Riu and it was priced at $ 60 per day per person and they had buffets, more better restuarants & bars. Not sure who did the pricing, guess somebody who did not have too much experience or maybe because the restuarants are run by outsiders they still want to make a profit to cover the cost of the free vouchers they offered for doing a presentation. Tip: You can go to the high rise a few bus stops away (total time spent less than presentation time) and get as much variety you need. The resorts places were also available, I do not drink too much so may ne this scheme worked for me.

Internet: WiFi Aruba $ 10 a day or $ 35 a week I could access it from part of my room, though some guests say they could not. I was at the pool bar and it also works from there. Lobby area works real good.

Laundry Service: they have it all the floors, this is really great & convenient - the Riu though bigger does not have a laundromat, I guess they expect people to bring enough clothes.

Recreation: was Ok actually I have to mention the two girls that worked there were very good. Naisa she actually played board games with the kids. Jennifer who actually from the USA now lives in Aruba was also great - Thanks to you guys. However, I do not remember noticing that they have any entertainment, really quiet at night

Swimming Pool: Had a slide as well was not over crowded and had enough loungers. One think that I noticed is that they have security in and around the place which was really good.

Beach: Probably the best in Aruba real fine white sand beach and huge not at all corwded plenty of chairs. this beach is not shared by any other resort, so it was very good. One thing that was inconvenient was that you had to cross the road to get to it. Could be a problem if you have children, I think they should probably have a fly over or have security to be serving as crossing guards.

Safe: it is not big enough to store laptops but enough to keep valuables.

Corridors; This is something I must mention for some reason they wet the place most of the day, no idea why? Be careful when you walk, I actually slipped. I know they are aware of the problem as they have permanent signs telling you to be careful other you will slip.

Overall the place is good and I am sure that in the long run it would get better. Do not be fooled by the lobby staff. After the first day's experience I avoided them as much as possible. Before I go I would like to write about an incident at the lobby. I was wanting to do my laundry but I wanted change to put into the machine. I went to the lobby and noticed that the front desk staff were doing check ins and there was a huge line. Reluctantly, I went to the Blue Green people and asked them if they could help me by giving me some change, which I am sure they would have because they do have cash transactions. They just said ask the front desk, I told them there is a big line I just need change for $ 5, they just shook their heads and told me we do not give change. i just went to the Minimart and asked the lady and she obliged. I am a very friendly person and usually go out of my way to be friendly even if I should be on the receiving end. I spoke to a few other guests and they told me too that they disliked the blue green people. they had mixed views about the front desk. This I did to see if there was something wrong with me.

1  Thank wiyd21
Reviewed July 13, 2010

My husband and I spent a week at La Cabana. We stayed in a newly remodeled room on the 4th floor. We had a great view of the ocean and the pool, great sunsets. The beach was just across the street. Lovely quiet beach, not very crowded. The beach had free chairs and Tiki huts with tables for the guest of the hotel. You need to get there early and put your things down to save a spot for the day. Beautiful clean beach with calm water great for swimming. The beach had a bar with "happy hour" from 2-4:00 daily frozen drinks 2 for $6.00. the pool was beautiful and very clean. The pool also had a bar with a "happy hour" daily from 4-6:00. This resort is set up for families. You will see many generations sharing a family fun vacation. There are 2 restaurants on sight and the food is tasty and reasonable. There are a few other restaurants with in walking distance. You can catch the bus outside the hotel for about $3.00 round trip to the grocery store, downtown, or to the "high rise" area where there are many restaurants, shopping, night life and water activities. Most restaurants are not open for lunch, because of the heat. There is not a lot of "night life" in Aruba, there are casinos though. The Hyatt Casino will give you $10.00 for the slots if you get a "players card". Many of the resorts offer money vouchers as incentives to attend their "time share" presentations, La Cabana gave us breakfast and $100.00 for a sunset cruise. Divi gave us $100.00 and breakfast for a rental car and the Marriott gave us $200.00 in $25.00 vouchers which we used for 3 meals. The rental car was useful to see the other parts of the island like the ruins, caves, and "baby beach". I would suggest a rental car for at least 1 day to see these places, its worth it.

1  Thank maxe1lab
Reviewed July 8, 2010

I loved it, and I am defenectly comming back people are nice and friendly and always helping almost everybody speak either english or spanish

Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!