“Great Value!”

La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino
New York City, New York
“Great Value!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

I visited La Cabana with several friends and must say that I was pleasantly surprised. Although the website gives a "cheesy" appearance, this hotel was like finding a hidden gem. The pool area is very large and beautiful, complete with a swim up bar (very important to me), waterfalls, and a slide. There are also several hot tubs. Upon exiting the pool, you walk down to the beach, and pass the beach bar on the way; impossible to walk back and forth and not get a drink! Drinks were strong and cheap with a great happy hour. The water couldn't have been nicer, and the sand was like powder. We tended to eat around town (had a rental car), but they had a Dunkin Donuts for a quick and cheap breakfast, along with a bar menu that was also inexpensive for lunch. (They also have a restaurant or two if you wanted to have a full breakfast/lunch/dinner at the resort, we just chose to explore for dinner.) All in all, a great place that I would return to every year!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2010

Just returned from a week's stay at La Cabana. We arranged a rental for an efficiency unit @ $511 for the week through a friend who owns an Interval International timeshare. I can't stay at the Comfort Inn in Cleveland for that price! Upon arrival, the management did change our confirmed room on the first floor to one on the second floor (in the fine print they retain that right). In retrospect, it was a better accomodation because of all the foot traffic on the ground floor. Also a much better view of the ocean. Try to stay as high as possible if you get to choose, just for the view. Elevators work great, seldom more than a few seconds wait. Upon arrival, you will be required to post $250 for "incidentals". Also, added to your bill will be about $11 per day for energy, but that can come out of the $250. If you bring the laptop, you will have to buy a wi-fi card for $35 for the week. You will have to wear a plastic ID wrist band during your stay. The wrist band thing seems to be a trend, we ran into a couple who were doing an all-inclusive at the Riu and they were required to wear one too. We stayed in room 228B. Our room was spotless, so clean we thought we might have been the first occupants (we later found evidence we weren't). The La Cabana website showed our original confirmed efficiency unit to have a Murphy bed, but our unit had a full size standard bed (another pleasant plus). You will have to buy soap for the dishwasher and paper towels if you plan to dine in (there's a mini-market on the ground floor, and a Cinnabon store too). All appliances and kitchenware are included. I could nitty-pick a couple of minor details, but I am not going to because this place is about as good as it gets. My companion and I both give it a 9.8. There is some renovation going on at this time, but we never found the noise intrusive. The pool is very large and attractive, kept sparkling clean, along with the spacious grounds and beachfront.

This was my third trip to Aruba, and the most enjoyable of any of them because of the beautful La Cabana Resort. Tourism in Aruba seems to be down, perhaps because it was low season or perhaps just because of the economy, but no crowds and good deals to be had.

BTW, if you plan to buy jewelry (and there are dozens of stores in and around the downtown area), the game is an immediate 70% off a ridiculously inflated list price. I was able to get an additional 30% discount on a gorgeous opal ring for the GF. Maybe you can do better!! Cash is king!!

Have fun in Aruba, it's my favorite (and now my GF's) vacation destination!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rayvalfl
Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2010

La Cabana is a timeshare. Even though some of the rooms have been remodeled, the remainder of the resort appears run down. For example, the hallways to the rooms, the outside, the lobby, shops, pharmacy, and the restaurant. Don't have high expectations. The photos for the remodeled rooms are very accurate. It is clean and nice. The beds are not easy to sleep on and the pillow are lumpy. We had back ache's every day. Tip - ask for a remodeled room, ask for an inside 3rd or 4th level floor if you want a pool and beach view. We asked to move as we could hear the next door neighbor sneezing and on the other side, you could hear them talking. The photos attached are from 404A which made up for the first couple of nights. The outside rooms, would give you the impression of a better ocean view, but only if you are the first 2 rooms closest to the beach, if not, you will have a tiny view and a view of construction or dirt parking lot. The staff, housekeeping and bar attendants were very cordial, quick and friendly. Rely on Fodor's guide for Aruba, it was very helpful after the fact to make a choice of where to stay. There are other time shares you can stay at that are nicer if you are looking for a better overall ambiance and environment. The beach is right across the road, very convenient and the ocean is clear blue. There are plenty of huts for shade and lounge chairs. But if you want the whole experience, as we like to rest and would have preferred to shop and dine in our resort, this would not be recommended.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Bowie, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

We stayed here from May 27th through June 3rd, 2010. It was wonderful. I was a little skeptical based on other reviews but we had a wonderful experience. We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit that was renovated. Very nice with a good ocean view. Only issue I have is that the bedrooms are in the front of the units so you can hear people walking by in the morning. During the night, very peaceful. The pool area and beach were wonderful. This time is considered their non-busy period so there weren't alot of children at the pool. The beach is wonderful, very clean and plenty of space to lounge no matter the time of day you went. I would stay there again and hope to be there next year. Renovations are still occurring but we did not experience any noise or interruptions. The impact is definitely based on your location. The grounds are older but very clean and sufficient, away from the busy area of Palm Beach.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GOGTraveler
Richmond
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

This resort is a little over half done on the remodel of the rooms. If you can get one that has been done, it is worth it. I gave up the bedroom to my friends and used the sleep sofa. Sure wish they had spent some of the remodel money for a real sleep sofa! I could feel the springs and metal frame every time I rolled over. They continue to have wonderful housekeeping staff.

We ate at the restaurant that was Captain's Table and food was good but service was very slow and only 3 other diners. They are close to signing contract to convert that area and additional space into a casino which they hope will be open by December. They will work with government to get additional parking on the sides of resort.

Construction continues on one of the wings of units next to the pool but we did not find it to be too disruptive with noise or dust.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Sonoma, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2010

Our week at La Cabana was booked through Bluegreen Vacation Club which we found to be pretty inflexible when we wanted to modify (upgrade) our original reservation. We originally booked a studio and then decided we wanted to upgrade to a one or two bedroom unit. We settled for two studios that were several units apart from one another. It was an okay compromise. The service at the resort is fairly perfunctory, nothing terribly special. Initially we thought maybe the slightly frosty customer service was because we were tourists from the USA (with all the baggage--no pun intended--that can entail) but then we met the housekeeping staff and they were awesome. So we decided the front desk and guest services just have a conveyor belt feeling to them, like we were being moved through the process without any personal care or individualized customer service. I really disliked having a wrist band attached upon my arrival and being told I would have to wear it all week or security would give me a hard time. I ended up taking mine off and the security folks never said anything about it, in fact they were pretty friendly. The facility is nicely maintained, nothing flashy or special, but comfortable and clean. We had two of the remodeled studios which were adequately furnished with the exception of the kitchenettes which are definitely above average, and well equipped. We like to cook for ourselves when we travel and experiment with local ingredients, so we especially appreciated this. The view from our rooms was better than average. One of the rooms smelled musty but the other did not. We never did figure out the difference. The biggest criticism is that the rooms do not have sufficient sound proofing, and maybe I'm just jealous that my neighbors were having more fun on their vacation than I was (if you catch my drift) but it was definitely annoying and woke me up during the night and the wee hours of the morning too. The northern end of Eagle Beach is across the street from La Cabana and the guys working on the beach were friendly and helpful. The beach is lovely and the swimming great. The pool and surrounding recreation area is nice, but nothing special. It seems to be part of the remodel process so it was a bit torn up, perhaps it will be nicer once completed. We ate at the restaurant on site the first night we were there, for the sake of convenience, but did not go back. The menu was not interesting and the ambiance was unpleasant. There is Bingo each afternoon, if you're not playing, it can be a little distracting if you're trying to relax and read by the pool. The music each evening was fun and lively and accompanied by a Happy Hour which made the otherwise expensive drinks affordable. In fairness, I have to say that although I would not recommend this resort, we were just two members of a larger group of nine friends and family traveling together. The other seven stayed in other rooms that I never visited (my room was the common/party space). Three of our friends had been there before and will likely return, they love La Cabana and don't seem to mind the things I did not like. So perhaps my expectations were unreasonable.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2010

This was my 3rd time at La Cabana and I didn't remember how wonderful it was. They are renovating the rooms and we had a new unit that was really nice. The bathrooms were very contemporary and the beds comfortable. The rooms were spotless!! I wanted to stay here instead of the Marriott (which I have stayed there in the past as well and liked it) because they have more bang for your buck. They have a happy hour that seemed to last like 4 hours. The staff was sweet and completely hospitable. Can't wait to come back to La Cabana. and their beautiful beach!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends