“Very Clean, Safe, and Relaxing Resort”

La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed at LaCabana, in a 1 BR Unit, 6/26-7/5/14. I have been an owner of a unit at LaCabana since 1997. The recent physical renovations to LaCabana make it an enjoyable stay. Housekeeping is remarkable as you will see staff cleaning throughout the day and night. Rooms are always cleaned fresh everyday including floors, windows and patio. The 1BR units provide comfort with comfortable matresses, 2 tv's, and a nicely equipped kitchen area. Activities are provided throughout the day at poolside for enjoyment. Happy hour is decent 2-1 on selected drinks and there is usally a live band performing. For dinner and night time entertainment you will have to go Palm Beach area. Pool side at night is enjoyable for a good cigar and beverage with friends. Security is a very high priority at LaCabana you are very safe there. I always find the bell staff pleasant and very helpful as to developments on the Island. The new casino Glitz was a little disappointing. Looked dingy and no crap tables. I quess it is ok for slots I actually won $100 randomly putting money into a machine. Maintenace at LaCabana is excellent. If something is broken or not working properly they respond very quickly. It was an enjoyable stay as it usually is. I was somewhat disappointed in the guest services staff as they were rude at times. The Islander restaurant on site offers a decent breakfast and luch, however, I wouldn't recommend it for dinner. We had dinner there one night as we stayed on the resort for a 70's and 80's show, which was actually pretty good. LaCabana is still very family oriented which I personnaly enjoy. You don't have to worry about amateur antics. All in all it's an enjoyable stay with a beautiful beach.

Room Tip: Thursday to Thursday stays I would discourage as you will get parking lot views that are marketed as...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Steven P
There are newer reviews for La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino

Reviewed July 5, 2014

We are Bluegreen Vacation Club owners and this was our first stay at this property. The grounds were immaculate and I appreciated the visible security presence. I felt safe to leave my beach bag out when at the beach or pool and felt secure at all times.

The room (341A) was clean and comfortable. There was a slight musty smell in the closet and drawers that cleared as we left them open to air out. The air in Aruba is very dry, but things tended to stay damp in the air conditioned spaces. Fortunately, the linens and towels were changed daily. This does not occur at many Bluegreen resorts. The maintenance staff changed the air filter on the A/C unit, which also helped.
We had a one bedroom on the "no view" side (odd numbered). The layout was a bit odd, with the bedroom opening onto the hallway. If one is a light sleeper, a mask and earplugs might be a good idea. Even if your neighbors comply with the "quiet time" rules, noise can be an issue. We only had one incident with a someone talking loudly on their cell phone in the hallway. A friendly "glare" and "Do you mind?" comment was enough to stop the behavior.
The pool was great and Eagle Beach was even better. The beach really was only a minute's walk from the pool area, across a not very busy road. No problems with "falsely reserved" tables at the pool or huts on the beach as reported in some earlier reviews. There were always plenty to go around.
The outdoor Tapas grill was a bit pricey, (as were most of the better restaurants on the island) but the food was excellent. The indoor Islander grill was a good value for breakfast and lunch, but dinner was also a little expensive for the amount of food. All servings were very tasty, no matter what time of day.
The concierge desk was very helpful in scheduling and making reservations for some of the special outings we wanted to do. Unfortunately, they were also very pushy about trying to get us to attend another Owners Update (read sales pitch) meeting. They did not seem to understand the word "NO". I had to rescue our friends from their clutches more than once.
But overall, the staff, from the desk to the bell station, to the housekeeping were all as nice as they could be with a smile and friendly greeting at all times. The on site laundry facilities came in very handy as none of our clothes would dry in the room on their own thanks to the A/C humidity issues.
We had a very enjoyable stay and will return at some future time.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms overlook the pool area and ground floor units have patios from which one may str...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank ADCollier
Reviewed July 2, 2014

My husband and I spent our vacation at the La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino from 5/22-5/29. We've visited the island previously, but this was our first stay at La Cabana. The service was very good and the grounds were very good as well. The location is directly across from Eagle Beach which makes it excellent. All you do is walk across the street and you're at the beach. We had a one bedroom unit, which was pretty small. Actually, it's the smallest one bedroom that we've ever had so far. But it was very clean and that's a big plus for me. The pool, restaurants, spa, health club, gift shops and casino were all nice and convenient. The electricity went out for about an hour in our unit, but other than that, did not encounter any problems.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My wife and I booked this trip after buying a travel package through Bluegreen, basically a timeshare business affiliated with Bass Pro Shops. La Cabana Resort was decent; nothing spectacular but good enough and in a really excellent location right on Eagle Beach. The problem I had was with Bluegreen- once you check in you have to arrange to sit through a two hour sales presentation. That started out ok, and as my wife reminded me several times, was worth the small sacrifice of time for a nice discount on our hotel room. The problem I had, however, was towards the end of the sales presentation when I was very clear that we were not going to buy a timeshare, the salesman who was assigned to us brought his manager to our table (a cheap suit used car salesman type) who couldn't believe that we wouldn't invest, especially now that our children are grown, out of the house and college is paid for. He actually had the nerve to ask me what better did I have to do with my money now that we're empty nesters! Fortunately for him (and me) my wife was able to keep me calm as I was getting ready to give him a serious verbal smack down!
Ok, now that my venting about Bluegreen is over I would say that if you plan to spend most of your vacation on the beach (as we did) Eagle Beach is in fact the nicest, cleanest beach on the island, and as I noted earlier La Cabana is right on Eagle Beach so the location is perfect. One other point to bring up- Aruba is a very small island and as such there is very little to do other than hang out at the beach or the hotel pool (lot's of very loud half-drunk middle-agers at our hotel pool) so if I had to do it over again I would have booked a three night trip (directly, not through Bluegreen) rather than the six nights we stayed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Chris T
Reviewed July 1, 2014

We have been to Aruba several times and stayed in various resorts. LaCabana is not the most elaborate resort but it is family friendly, clean, has a very nice pool, nice restaurants and has great staff! Eagle beach is beautiful and is easily accessible. If you need groceries, Superfoods is just a short walk from the resort. Las Ramblas is a great restaurant and in my opinion, better than some of the other beach restaurants. Our concierge was amazing! Jean went out of her way to help us and she went above and beyond to make our stay a pleasant one. There is a Casino on site for folks that like that sort of thing. It didn't appear to have many winners but it's a fun place to go and try! Cinnibon and an Ice Cream shop is located in the lobby area. I thought the prices were reasonable if you wanted those items. I also went to the LaCabana Spa. The ladies were very nice and the massage was wonderful! Finally, if you wish to travel downtown or to the HighRise section where more hotels and restaurants are located, the bus stop is about 100 feet from the resort. You don't have to take long hikes up the road to find a bus stop. If you don't want to take a bus, you can rent a car on site. (the bus is only about $2.00 so why rent a car?) I cannot complain about my 7 day stay at LaCabana and I will definitely visit again!

Room Tip: Aim to get a room facing the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Tracie D
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We own a couple weeks at La Cabana. Its on beautiful Eagle Beach which is less crowded than Palm Beach so we never had trouble getting a palapa and chairs. The pool area is also very nice, again with no problem getting chairs. Rooms are clean, roomy, and well appointed. Those factors alone give this place its high rating and make me comfortable with returning to this resort. Also, the air conditioning works GREAT, housekeeping services are very good, the Sbarro by the pool makes great New York style pizzas, and special thanks go to the activities director that went way out of her way to round up a beach volleyball game that she knew I was anxious to play. But there are downsides. There's very few restaurants and shops within walking distance. That doesn't bother us (we get a rental car) but the teenagers we took had a better time when we stayed on Palm Beach a couple years ago. We were in our car every night to drive to dinner, and allowed the teens to take a bus a couple times to/fro Palm Beach where everything is. Buyer beware of the goods in the La Cabana shops; the Diet Pepsis were expired, a hat my wife bought fell apart after two days, and they had counterfeit RayBans and Oakleys for sale for $18. The Happy Hour at the bar is a little less happy now that the 2-for-1 drink specials are limited to daiquiris, beers and a few other drinks. Bed was hard as a rock. The concierges need a little bit of work. 2 out of 3 times the concierge acted as though I was bothering them, barely speaking to me and instead handing me brochures. Second time I asked where to find good sushi; concierge didn't speak at all, only rifled through papers to hand me a coupon. Later that day I asked the Marriot concierge for good sushi and we actually conversed about the two best options, including the one that was her favorite. That was a good concierge. Third try at the concierge was much better; the lady acted on my question quickly, verbally, and with a smile. Lastly, the Islander Grille was just awful. We went there on the first day after a long flight in hopes to find good, relatively fast food. We found neither. Bottom line: regardless of my little complaints, La Cabana is a nice place to stay for the location, the pool, and the room.

Room Tip: The view overlooking the pool is wonderful. See picture.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Ski_n_Sea_Traveler
Reviewed June 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a week. First time there. Nice mix of people, young and old. Not like the high rises, where it's kind of chaotic, more relaxed and a much nicer beach. Would definitely recommend as a great place to vacation. We'll be back again : )

• Stayed: June 2014
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!