“Another great stay”

La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Visited Aruba 2nd time within 2 years and another great stay at LaCabana. Stayed in a one bedroom suite overlooking the pool and beach. Room had all the necessities my wife and I needed; fridge, microwave, and a great view. I can see how the room layout might be an issue for some but for us, it wasn't. Staff at LaCabana are friendly and for the most part very willing to help. The biggest pro in my opinion though is the location. LaCabana is right across eagle beach and conveniently located between downtown and palm beach (high rise). There's also a super market (Super Food) that is within walking distance.

Room Tip: Ask for pool and beach view
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank jmante2

Reviewed January 10, 2014

La Cabana is the perfect resort. The staff is to die for....everyone is so pleasant and eager to make sure that you are enjoying yourself and comfortable. We were there in June, 2014 and even though there were lots of children they were well mannered and kept busy with activities by the staff. There was 6 of us in a two bedroom suite and we really had plenty of space. The food
and prices in the restaurant was really great. We enjoyed the beach and the comfort assistance we received from the cabana personnel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carolyn B
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Just got back from Christmas week at La Cabana. Resort was perfect. No noise like some have said.
We had a studio unit which was perfect for two people. Spacious and well equipped with a great pool and ocean view. Try to get studios with numbers 22-30 as they have the best views (there will be a 2,3,or 4 before the number depending on your floor) I'd stay away from the first floor though.
Beach is the best there. Locals say go to Baby Beach, but that was quite disappointing.
Take the bus to Palm Beach (five minute ride, and safe) for super restaurants. Of note is the Aqua Grill there. You can also go to Orangestad by bus. All bus fares are $2.30 pp one way.
Eagle beach is the low rise section so is quieter. Palm beach has the large high rises if you like that sort of hotel and timeshare and is quite bustling. Really built up since we were there 10 tears ago.
Service and ammenities at La Cabana are excellent. Bring round coffee filters and paper towells though as they do not supply those. If you forget, there is a mini-mart in the lobby and a huge grocery store within five minutes walking distance.
They do make the beds and remove the trash every second day and on the alternate days they clean the room. Plenty of towells and they are changed daily. Beach/pool towells provides as are beach lounges, for free though you might wantto tip the guy who sets up your lounges.
We do a lot of timeshare exchanges and this one was amongst the best. Not sure why anyone would criticise this resort.
Do be aware that there is a daily surchagre for taxes and utilities that add up to about 12.50 per day. Well worth it though.
You do not need a car rental for the week but if you want one for a day or two, Avis is in the lobby and cheaper than the airport. The bellman can also arrange a four wheel jeep if you want to go off roading and tour the island. Cost is $105. including insurrance.
Taxi fare from the airport is $25.00.

Room Tip: Pick a unit numberred between 20 and 30 for the best views. The number before it (ie.322, etc) denot...
3  Thank Sil O
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I am shocked to see such good reviews of this place. After a lot of consideration and reviews posted here, I decided to go ahead and book this hotel which happens to be a time share property. On day 1 on arrival until the time we left, I felt that we were forced to do many things just by the fear of putting too many surcharges.

I will begin by mentioning a couple of positive points. The hotel is right across Eagle Beach which is one of the better beaches and the staff at the beach is helpful. Secondly the restaurant on site has good menu options and goes beyond to prepare a customized meal should you need one. My spouse is a veggie lover and they prepared delicious meals on our request. The concierge service is good in providing you all information including car rentals, tours etc, is polite depending on who you talk to.

Now let’s begin with the cons. As most reviews said, you have to wear a wrist tag all the time and if you lose it, you have to pay 25$ to get it again. It is needed to access most facilities. Secondly the free wifi is a joke - EVEN IF YOU UPGRADE IT, it never works as it should be. I needed wifi one day to check in for my flight and minor browsing and it failed miserably.

The room itself was divided into a sleeping area and living/dining/kitchen area with the bathroom separating them. I booked an ocean view room and ended up getting the one looking at the parking lot. I had breakfast included in the price and was told the booking agent made a mistake - we don’t offer breakfast complementary. The room itself had some odor which went away after opening the balcony door just to realize that we had mosquitoes after a while. The kitchen equipments/utensils were also dirty and housekeeping did not clean any dishes for us. The microwave open is perhaps programmed to work only if you know Dutch or Spanish. The housekeeping is good and friendly but can’t overlook management instructions to leave extra towels or toiletries.
Now let’s bring the worst part. Upon check-in you are provided a long list of 'duties'. e.g. clean up the utensils before leaving to avoid $ 30 charges, bring the beach towels back to receive your towel keys else face a fine; check out by noon or face $ 300 charges; call the bell boy at 11 to pick up luggage from the room and line up at 11:15 for checkout if you don’t want to pay $ 300 charges just for being late for your check out!!! REALLY - THIS IS THE WORST THING I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY ENTRIE LIFE FOR A VACATION PROPERTY AND I CONSIDER IT A NUISANCE. People will normally checkout if they are told to do so and will follow most rules, but the list of 'duties' page is more like a threatening letter given to the guests at check-in as if the guests are some disobedient pranks. I consider this an absolute intrusion to a guest's personal plans. I personally wanted to meet the manager at the end to discuss some of my issues but decided against it since I did not want to ruin my day.

Last but least, I feel you could find many other low-rise properties in the nearby Eagle beach area that are more quiet, guest friendly and certainly value to price. I will not recommend this hotel to any one, not even to people who I don't like. If you want to enjoy your stay in Aruba and also have a peaceful vacation, look somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th floor overlooking the beach.
4  Thank nwajustdoit
Reviewed December 31, 2013

We exchanged into la cabana for two weeks. The cost of the taxi for the airport was $22 although taxis from the hotel are easy a to obtain they are expensive with a surcharge on a Sunday.
Getting around is easy on the bus with at stops at both sides of the hotel for downtown and high rise area. The flat rate is $2.30 per passenger.
The supermarket behind the hotel is well stocked but expensive. But it's worth thinking about taking a trip to Ling & sons which is a short ride away on the bus followed by a short walk, which is as well stocked and cheaper. Although we did take a taxi back $8 to easy the transportation of the shopping.
There are a number of club rules when you first check in, which on the whole are reasonable and easily achieved but the one about making sure that the apartment crockery and cutlery is returned clean at the end of he stay is a little annoying as they do not furnish you with the apparatus to do is so (washing up liquid and sponges) you have to purchase this or ensure that the dishwasher is emptied and put away before you leave or you are fined $300!!!!!

Tips:
1. Try not to arrive till after 4pm as you will be unable to check in until after this time
2. It is unlikely that your room will be extended so be conscience that you will be out of your room at 12pm. To help this a lot of residents leave one day earlier so they can choose their leaving time
3. There is an government tax per night you stay, which is additional to any exchange costs

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Page18
Reviewed December 30, 2013

Very nice resort, with the friendliest staff I've seen in a while. Now I know why they call this "The Happy Island". Very clean, and well maintained. We stayed in a one bedroom on the bottom floor. Room was close to everything; pool, lobby, restaurants, and a 2 minute walk out to their own beach. Never a problem grabbing a lounge on the beach. Beach was the best I've been on, with white sands and the coolest blue waters. Constant trade winds made it super comfortable, in fact, the humidity was lower here than it was in Minnesota this same week; WOW! Although not needed, security everywhere's. We had a small dinner the first night at the Island Grill, which was OK, otherwise we ate dinner as we were out and about the rest of our stay. Bus rides were reasonable; $2.30 per person each way. Downtown and highrise area were less than ten minutes away. This area (Aruba) is way diferent than others I've visited. Super safe, clean, no beggers at the shops, no funny smells, and some of the safest drinking water in the world right out of the faucet. There was a Super Store right behind us with walking didtance, so wee stocked up on breakfast and lunch snacks for the week. I'll be booking againg for next year as soon as my timeshare points renew in April. Only improvement I can suggest is better wi-fi in the rooms, but it is free:).

Room Tip: First floors are extremely easy and accessable to everything on site.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Wendell B
Reviewed December 28, 2013

We are owners of a timeshare and have been vacationing at La Cabana for the last 10 years. We have never had an issue with service or maintenance. It is a comfortable place to stay. Most of the day is spent at the pool or beach so all we need is a comfortable bed to sleep and La Cabana meets our needs. The beach is beautiful and the pool is clean and large enough for all guests. There is a Super Foods a walkable distance from he rear of the hotel. We usually buy breakfast and lunch food and then go out for dinner. Bus service to the high rise hotel or Oranjestand is about $1.60 per person and quite regular. La Cabana also has a casino. Las Ramblas restaurant is very good, island grill is OK for burgers and such, however dinner service is slow and food is average. Pata pata bar is well stocked with a 2 for 1 happy hour from 4 to 6pm. Try the "brown lady" frozen drink.

2  Thank John G
Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino
Tropicana Aruba Resort & Casino
#21 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#18 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to La Cabana Beach Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!