“Excellent solo holiday”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Seoul, South Korea
“Excellent solo holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013

I spent a solo Thanksgiving holiday at MVC this year and I am pleased with my experience.

Pros-

-seamless check-in. Christie (manager) leaves at 3. I arrived at 4 and my room keys and breakfast tickets were waiting for me at the front desk. Save yourself time and do the advance check-in offered on their website

-comfortable accommodations: the room was very basic but served its purpose: Euro bathroom, armoire with micro fridge and safe inside, comfy queen bed (best sleep away from home EVER), flat screen TV with channels for the 4 main languages spoken on the island, obstructed views of Eagle Beach from room 112, personal seating for two outside of each room, amiable housekeeping staff

-easy access to public transportation to Oranjestad and the high rise area. Next time I will rent a car. Bus fare is $2.30 each ride (no transfers) and it adds up if you're on the go. Not the hotel's issue but just FYI. Bus stops right out front every 20m

-easy access to beautiful Eagle Beach: right across the way and they provide towels, beach huts and loungers.

Cons-
-European continental breakfast was just okay: fruit and bread assortment, hard boiled eggs, sliced ham, cereal, Greek yogurt, and plenty of coffee and tea. On the first day there was plenty of fruit variety. After a few days it went from quite a few to one or two. I only ate fruit and bread. You have to ask for water.

-Tulip restaurant has excellent service and a relaxing atmosphere but the menu items leave a LOT to be desired. See separate review.

-hassled twice by MVC beach staff on separate occassions about the veracity of my room info in spite of seeing them on hotel grounds often. I did not observe any other beach goers receive such treatment. I even observed a few couples come from other hotels down the strip to use MVC's loungers and they were not bothered.

-top floor room was nice but coming up and down the super tight cascading staircases was incredibly nerve wrecking.

My cons may not be an issue for some. The pros definitely outweighed my overall experience. My first trip to Aruba was one of the most memorable experiences in my life. In spite of traveling solo I never felt alone, the most friendly people in the Caribbean live on Aruba island. And I always felt safe. MVC was a great choice and I definitely received my money's worth. I look forward to returning to Aruba!

Room Tip: Room 112 is near the housekeeping closet and there's a large palm tree that semi obstructs your...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank WestCoast_Peach

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Polish first
Port Angeles, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

My husband and I stayed at MVC Eagle Beach Nov. 23 to Dec. 2, celebrating our 48th wedding anniversary. We loved it! Christy was so helpful, and even produced a hotpot when I asked if
one could be found as I like to make tea in the room. The rooms were beautifully cleaned every day by Ledys who was so sweet. We really liked the Tulip restaurant on site and thought their escargot the best we've ever had. Breakfast is included so it was lovely to wake up in the morning and wander down to Tulip for coffee, fresh fruit, cereals and the like. The beach is about 30 seconds away across the street and is absolutely beautiful with wide sweeps of pristine sand and gentle waves. Beach chairs are free to guests and there are plenty palapas for shade. The whole area is quiet and peaceful, and very convenient to other parts of the island. Rooms are smallish, but complete and comfortable with a TV and small refrigerator, and how much time do you spend in a hotel room anyway? We liked the local ambiance and beautifully kept grounds. There's also some interesting history to the hotel. It used to be a sort of guest house for Dutch military personnel and there are some vintage photos in the bar. I would love to have known more and have encouraged the management to write a little history for guests to read. I highly recommend this little gem of a hotel especially if you don't want casinos or high rise hotels in your back yard!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Laurie R
Eastlake, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

While in Aruba this week the wife and I stopped in to see our friends Christy and Kevin at MVC. We stayed there last year and fell in love. (With the in-laws at their timeshare this time). The updates look fantastic and their warm greetings made for a great visit. This as a special retreat away from the noise of crowded pools and bar music. It is a short walk to the best area on Eagle Beach. If you happen by, tell them John and Sabrina sent you and ask Kevin for one of his Piña Colada Specialties. This is paradise on Eagle Beach.

Room Tip: Two floors, no elevator.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John F
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

My mom, sister and I stayed for a week at the MVC at Eagle Beach and we couldn't be happier with the location, service and accommodations. The staff were incredibly nice and helpful - special thanks to Christy at the front desk, Theo and Kevin in the restaurant, and the man who set out the beach chairs for us each morning. The room was clean and basic, but the sheets and towels were nice and it was convenient to have a small fridge in the room. Breakfast was included in the room rate, I wish they'd vary the selection a bit, it was boring by day 4. We loved the location and the beach - great for swimming and walking. MVC was located in the "low rise" hotel area, which we preferred as it was a bit quieter. It was a $10 cab ride to the "high rise" area where there was a ton of restaurants and shopping. All in all, a great value! We'd definitely come back!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KOB_DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed at MVC end of October. This was our second visit to this hotel and came back because of the convenience to the beach but mostly because it was a very quiet resort. After a very long travel day we just wanted to get to our room, have a bite to eat and go to bed. When we arrived there was no one in the office so we checked in with the bar staff and was told that there was a private event that evening so the restaurant was going to be closed for the rest of the day, but the event would be over by 10pm. We were also not going to be allowed to enter in the front of the hotel, only the back. So we got back in the car and drove to the high-rise area had a quick dinner and then came back again. The party was in full swing when we arrived back at the hotel, you could hear the music clearly, the party-goers clearly and it didn't end up shutting down until after 11 close to 12. So there was NO good nights sleep for us. The next evening the hotel behind the MVC had a party so we heard their music very loudly, (which is not MVC's fault) and that was another party that didn't end until midnight. Thankfully we were only staying there for two nights because I was in need of a good nights sleep. When we checked out we discussed our concern with some staff but was pretty much blown off. I wasn't so upset that there was an event but I thought a little heads up would have been nice to your guests that were coming in.

2 Thank Marcee611
AMBRManager, Manager at MVC Eagle Beach, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Thank you for your review. We're very sorry to read you were looking forward to a quiet stay with us - for which we are known - but you had the bad luck of having a private party. We're happy to read that you despite this inconvenience you still enjoyed your stay and we do wish to welcome you again in the near future.
Milford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2013

Clean, basic room. Very friendly staff. Excellent location across from Eagle Beach. Have stayed here more than once and plan to stay again next year. Restaurant on the premises. Pool is quite small but with Eagle Beach right there, not really a drawback.

Room Tip: Two floors. No elevators.
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

The hotel is located right across from a very pristine, white sandy beach with a ocean view! Clean, newly remodeled rooms with cold AC, refrigerator and in room safe made our stay perfect! It's a small establishment, so the noise and crowd of the bigger resorts was avoided and we loved it! Outdoor tables/chairs, tiny little pool (who needs a pool with Aruba's ocean?) and on site restaurant Tulips made it the BEST place to stay in Aruba!

Room Tip: Ask for a ocean view room upper level and you can't miss!
3 Thank trulytracie