“Very Hilton”

Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 1, 2010

We split our honeymoon between the Bucuti Tara Suites and the Amsterdam Manor (half the price per night). For the money, the atmosphere, and the beach, we definitely preferred the Amsterdam Manor over the Bucuti. The Bucuti was definitely great though. The view over the ocean from our third floor balcony, seeing the sea turtles hatch on the beach, the helpful concierge, and more. When we got our credit card statement we weren't terribly surprised to find that its part of the Hilton empire. Its a nice fancy place. It definitely had more of a luxury feel and less of a cozy familiar feel than the Amsterdam. Very flashy, but didn't always come through in the details. One thing that really put a damper on our experience was our trip to the in-house spa. We both agreed that we received the worst massages ever. Avoid the spa at all costs!

Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank babyewoks
There are newer reviews for Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba

Reviewed July 31, 2010

The Bucuti is truly amazing!
We planned our wedding here and the minute we checked in and were offered Champagne we knew it was going to be a great choice!
We stayed in a standard room in the Bucuti wing, and the room was spotless very modern and romantic.

The breakfast included was great, enough to fill you up , we only ate outside at the pirates nest as we couldn’t get away from the view! There are birds as others have said but they didnt seem to bother us too much.

The staff are so friendly, if you want to talk they are more than happy to, if you want to be alone they won’t pester you, it’s the only hotel we have left and the breakfast staff hugged us when we said we were leaving, they seem to remember a lot of the guests, great staff.

We were lucky enough to get married at the Bucuti and Nashette the wedding planner was fantastic. A year before hand she was always replying to our emails from the UK within hours, everything was easy and stress free. We met Nashette and Victor WInklaar (our photographer) a few days after arriving at the hotel; everything was sorted out and times etc arranged.

The Day itself went perfectly, arranging for us to get to the town hall separately so we saw each other for the first time at the town hall. Then back to the gorgeous white sand for our beach ceremony which was so intimate and romantic! There was only the two of us but Nashette and Victor made a point of being our guests, they were both great and made our day special.

Plenty of restaurants around and we were pleased to find about 6 places were within walking distance from the hotel. The bar has two happy hours and they even have a movie night on the beach, it’s the little touches that make the Bucuti and we can’t wait to get back, Highly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 27, 2010

My husband and I couldn't have been happier with our stay at Bucuti Beach for our honeymoon. From the moment we arrived, greeted by a glass of champagne and another bottle in the room, the hotel was luxury and relaxation to the fullest. We stayed in the Tara Suites on the third floor with an amazing view of the beach and the ocean and I definitely recommend rooms in that building. The bed was very comfortable and the terrace was wonderful. The only improvement that I would make to the room would be to update the bathroom; it definitely didn't match the luxurious feel of the rest of the resort. The tub/shower was nothing special and the whole bathroom was pretty small. Otherwise though, the room was great. The location of Bucuti on the beach can't be beat, the beach is absolutely perfect. We never had a problem getting chairs under one of the straw unbrellas, even on the day we overslept and didn't get down to the beach until noon. Still no problem at all. The service on the beach was great, although I would recommend bringing a soft cooler on the trip and stocking up on beer and snacks at a mini mart in town; the beer at the beach bar is way overpriced. Lunches were good though and reasonable, and lounging on this beach was wonderful. We walked the beach quite a bit and saw beaches on the other parts of the island and none could beat the peace and quiet and cleanliness of the Bucuti beach. Overall, we couldn't have been happier with our stay; the staff was so kind and so helpful to us in planning our trip and we loved it. Definitely recommend Bucuti beach to anyone looking for a super romantic, beautiful hotel in Aruba.

1  Thank lsloan23
Reviewed July 27, 2010

My wife and I have just returned to the UK after two lovely relaxing weeks at the Bucuti Resort. From the moment we arrived we were looked after, given a glass of champagne and shown to our suite in the Tara wing. What an amazing view, right out across the beach where the sun sets right in front of you.

We loved the Bucuti for so many reasons
1. The beach was stunning, the best beach we saw on the island.
2. Very few children, only saw 2 during our time there. (we like kids, just not when you want to relax!!)
3. Stunning views out to sea
4. Very friendly, courteous staff
5. Peaceful location amongst the low rise hotel area (far less commercialized)
6. The huge bed, very comfortable and plenty of space
7. Very clean
8. The water was so clear and warm
9. The concierge Tione was fantastic. Always giving recommendations, but at the end of the day, asking how things had gone, did we like his recommendation? Every-time, it was a huge yes. He really helped us have a fantastic time.
10. Sun Loungers and Shade were in plentiful supply
11. Happy hour cocktails, Pina coladas made by Aldrick or Marina were such a pleasure
12. Paco the resident parrot, his laugh and chatter were always so entertaining, he certainly liked the ladies.
13. Champagne in the room was lovely
14. Ease of getting either taxis or buses from the hotel was so simple, and not too expensive (bus $1.50 and taxi $9) into either the high rise area or Oranjestad.
15. Lovely pool, always with available comfortable sun loungers
16. I'm sure there are more reasons but can't think of any more right now.

The only areas for improvement for the Bucuti which we experienced were:
1. The bathroom in our Tara suite didn't really match up to the rest of the room, very small, dark and becoming dated
2. Really need to sort out the birds at the pirates nest during breakfast. They don't necessarily interfere with you as you're eating, however they surround the breakfast bar as you pick things up. Which I would think is somewhat unhygienic, we only ate there the once then went back to eat inside at the Tara building. Which was a shame as being outside next to the beach is a lovely setting for breakfast.
3. I suppose our main issue at the Bucuti was at the Pirates nest restaurant (part of Bucuti resort). We ate there almost everyday for lunch and on so many occasions we had to wait at least 45 minutes for food (which was normally just a caesar salad). We just thought we're on holiday and didn't complain, but lots of other diners were not so tolerant. Which is understandable with a half empty restaurant, you're waiting so long for basic foods. We took the time to watch the staff, it seemed that they only had one waiter who really worked hard and quickly (Christian), however, the rest had the Caribbean attitude of slow, which seems fun, but not when you're hungry and waiting for food.
4. Also the restaurant had a very slim selection of food available at lunchtimes, if you didn't want a toastie or salad, you may have to head somewhere else.

I would definitely like to go back to the Bucuti if I went back to Aruba in the future. Such a beautiful island.

3  Thank CornishBoy77
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Bucuti is just fantastic if you are looking for a romantic time with your significant other. The location is great because it is right on the least crowded beach in Aruba. The staff are friendly, very professional and extremely helpful. We organized our trip very last minute and so we had a lot of loose ends when we got to Bucuti and everyone we talked to was extremely helpful: we managed to rent a car, do a snorkeling trip, book dinner reservations in one day! The rooms are lovely, very spacious, carefully well-maintained, charming. We had a Deluxe room in the Tara building, on the top floor with an amazing view of the Caribbean. The breakfast is fantastic with lots of options to choose from. Service at the beach is prompt. This place is worth every cent.

1  Thank scastillo2010
Reviewed July 26, 2010

My husband and I just returned from Aruba. We enjoyed our stay at Bacuti. We stayed in the Tara suites. When we first got there we were greeted at the sidewalk by Landee (sp) who secured our luggage and escorted us to the Tara Suites check in. We were offered a chilled glass of champagne that was quite refreshing considering the long flight and the heat. We were greeted there by a young man who was not very friendly. He proceded in telling us about the resort and what our package included. He did not appear to very appreciative of our being there. I wondered if he enjoyed his job but he was not at all welcoming like Landee was. Landee escorted us to our suite. It was lovely .The room was very nice ,clean and spacious. The bed was extremely comfortable. The bathroom was very nice and kept clean but the water was always lukewarm. Never really hot or cold. The information channel on the hotel explained why but it would have been nice to take a hot shower in the morning and brush our teeth with cold water. The water in Aruba is good. Really good. I am not a water drinker but I was drinking 5-8 glasses a day while there. Bacuti is enviromentally friendly and you could see that everywhere. I have a few complaints about the resort though. First some of the staff were friendly but most were not. The Concierge was hit and miss. We called to ask them to make reservations for Madame Jannette's (excellent by the way) and as soon as we called the concierge told my husband that there was seating only available at 6 and 9pm. OK? How did they know that without calling first? Anyway, we arrived at 830 and were seated immediately and there were several tables available for seating. Second, the in room information binder did not have the Pirate's Nest menu in it as we were told. Nor did it have the minibar prices in it either of which we were told it would be as well. We had the mini-bar removed, (for $5.00) (what a rip-off) because we went to a locale market and bought snacks and drinks and there was no room for them since the mini bar took up so much space. We were given a gift basket (bag) upon arrival that had 3 pieces of Ferrero Rocher chocolate (wow we could have bought them at Walmart) and a bottle of champagne. We ended up not drinking any of the champagne due to the fact we were stupid and forgot to pack it in our checked baggage. The washing machine was broken in the Tara Suites section so I had to walk to the other section and do a load of clothes there. The room was small and stiffling hot. There was no visible security but we felt relatively safe. The hotel is not as secluded as we thought. There are a lot of other hotels packed into one small area. I wil admit the beach was the best on the whole island. The availability of the beach huts and chairs was not as easy and we were led to believe. The red flags for beach service was nice but we only ordered drinks which were very very weak but tasty. We did not eat at the Pirate's Nest at all except for two mornings when we could not get into the Tara Suites Breakfast area. I truly believe that that should have been for the Tara Suites guests only but it wasn't. The Prate's Nest was always dirty and grimy looking and the smells coming from there were somewhat offensive plus the birds are a real problem. Every one with the breakfast buffet were very nice except one lady who was abrupt and rude. I wanted to be honest with this review because I read reviews and it always helps me decide on where to stay and eat. I would like to think that this resort is the perfect place to stay and it is if you want a nice room and very nice beach, but if you want dining choices, ammenities and friendly staff you may consider somewhere else. We loved this hotel and would stay there again but only as a couple not as a family. The cashless policy was great except for the fact you had to pay cash for some of the activites. I would highly suggest it for self motivated people who have done a lot of research on the island and activities and for those who simply want to be left alone because the staff was definitely not attentive.

1  Thank mandy10ec
Reviewed July 26, 2010

I just returned yesterday from our honeymoon in Aruba. My husband and I scrutinized details and reviews of dozens of places across several islands before deciding on the Bucuti, and I'm glad we did! What an amazing trip. We stayed in the Penthouse Suite of the Tara wing, which I think contributed toward how happy we were with our honeymoon. Upon arrival at the resort, we were greeted by name before even identifying who we were, escorted to a lovely air conditioned lobby and offered glasses of champagne while our bags were taken to our room. The checkin was relatively quick because we had done advanced check in online to alleviate a ton of paperwork upon arrival. The attendant who took our bags to our suite gave us a full tour of the room and it's amenities and answered all of our questions before leaving (like how to control the AC and humidifers, where extra towels, ice and irons could be found, etc...). We were absolutely blown away with the view! the Penthouse is on the 4th floor, looking right out onto the beach. The suite itself was huge, clean and beautiful- a full kitchen, dining area, living room with computer and free internet, a luxurious bedroom with a 4 poster canopy bed and chaise lounge looking out to the balcony, and a beautiful bathroom with a shower and claw footed tub and marble double sinks. The balcony was double the size of the other suites on the resort with plenty of room for dining and sunbathing. The Penthouse also comes with a private cabana during your stay, which was an AMAZING amenity- a simply 4 poster straw hut, but it gave us a perfect spot on the sand every day without needing to rush out in the morning and drop towels under the other cabanas to ensure some shade in the hot aruban sun. Truth be told, there probably wouldn't have been a need to rush out to claim a spot anyway, since the resort is small and quiet and has plenty of room for everyone. We spent some time in the highrise area, and I can assure you that those big hotels do not offer the same quiet serenity on the beach that we found at Bucuti. I was able to close my eyes and hear the breeze, the waves and the birds without obnoxiously loud music or screaming children.

Our housekeeping service was also excellent- the room was well cleaned everyday, even washing the floors and scrubbing the shower daily! At night after coming in from dinner, the room had always been turned down for the evening as well. On the beach, we were always quickly attended to whenever we needed something- a drink, a fresh towel, or lunch delivered to our cabana (you get a red flag to pitch in the sand when you want the waiters attention so that they don't bother you unless you need something).

The minimart in the resort was convenient for things like souvineers and extra sunscreen, but didn't have much food- we went to the local grocery store to stock up on snacks for the room. The pool was also clean and quiet- but it was odd that the shallow end was almost 5 feet! The stairs are really the only place to stand and relax, the rest of the pool is meant for actually swimming (like laps).

Everyone who worked at the hotel greeted us with a kind "good morning" or "hello" everytime we passed by, and we enjoyed our interactions with them. My husband especially enjoyed the American breakfast in the main floor lobby (we never ate breakfast at the pirates nest)- it was quite full! Eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, waffles, toast, fruit, cereal, yogurt, etc... everyday. As for the pirates nest... we ate there twice. Once for our romantic dinner and once for lunch. Both times the food was fine, but my issue was the flies. It can't much be helped when dining outdoors, but we ate dinner every single night at a different local restaurant, each time outdoors, and we never experienced as many flies as we did when dining at the pirates nest. I think an investment in some citronella candles would help make the atmosphere there more enjoyable! As I read in a previous review, i think I agree that a little more quiet, caribbean outdoor music would have been nice at the pirates nest. They have a steel drum player for dinner, but I wouldn't have minded it throughout the day as well.

I also visited the spa while at Bucuti, and it was my only "less than stellar" experience there. I was not impressed at all with the spa itself- it reminded me of an office building and cubicles. You enter to a main area with a desk, and then you go down a bland hallway to your treatment room which is also bland and empty besides the massage table. There was no decor on the walls, no music playing, candles lit... nada. I've been to a lot of spas, and Bucutis really left something to be desired.

That being said, everything else was beyond compare and most enjoyable. We had a family emergency while at Bucuti and the staff was very helpful in cancelling some reservations we had, rescheduling for us, helping us get in touch with the airlines for flight changes, and giving us a voucher to return next summer for the amount of days we had to leave early. It was kind of them.

Overall I highly recommend Bucuti if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing honeymoon. I strongly recommend renting a car, because even while enjoying our quiet serenity, there were times we wanted to go gamble for a bit in the high rise area, jetski, or dine elsewhere. Without a car it's hard to get around aruba. I also recommend staying in the Tara wing if possible- its new, modern and clean, and I sensed from other reviews that the Bucuti wing is slowly becoming outdated and in need of upgrading.

1  Thank KFusaro10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
#3 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba? Share your experiences!