“Relaxing Vacation at the Bucuti”

Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 9, 2006

We stayed at the Bucuti Beach Resort in the Tara Suites from December 2nd through December 8, 2006. We've stayed at Bucuti before in 2003 before Tara was completed. The new rooms are very nice and have lots of amenities. These would include a mini bar, two TV's, a microwave and a large bathroom. The service was great and the complementary continental breakfast was a nice perk. Another nice thing about this place is the Sand Bar. They had Lee Connor playing steel drums which sets a great mood for the beach at happy hour. Bucuti offers activities planning which we used in the past but not this time because we were just taking it easy. I wish we'd gone on a snorkeling tour (maybe next time). In 2003 we did an island tour with Gemini (Frank) and it was well worth the $30. Highly recommended.

The concierge was very helpful in recommending places for dinner. I'll list the places we ate at: Mango's at Amsterdam Mannor was pretty good but the service was slow. Madam Jeanette was very good and the service was good. The location was sort of weird. Then Marandi...this was my favorite place and everything was delicious. It was right on the water just past the downtown area. Food and drinks were excellent. Try the Aruba Ariba and the Aruban Coffee. I'd give this place 5 stars! We also ate at Gasparito's for a taste of local Aruba cusine. The food and service were very good. The portions were very large here. After feeling tired of going to fancy places, we decided to give Pizza Bob's a try. This place is just across the street from Bucuti. The pizza was great and the Balashi was cold and served in a huge mug. This was a great place for casual dining. For our last evening, we had dinner on the beach at the Pirate's Nest @ Bucuti. This was a very nice touch to cap off a great vacation. We ate at two places for lunch while we were about and about: Salt and Peppers and The Paddock....both were very good.

The only other things we did that were sight seeing related were going to the Butterfly Farm and touring the Numismatic Museum. Both were very interesting.

We traveled by taxi usually but the bus system worked very well for going to downtown and to the highrise area.

The only disappointment we had with Bucuti was that they allowed some very small children on this visit. We encountered a screaming child while trying to relax on the beach. This only lasted about 30 minutes. The other was that some of the parents brought their small children to the bar at happy hour. In 2003, it was all adults. I hope Bucuti will continue to cater to couples and continue their atmosphere of peace and quiet. That is why we will keep coming back.

10  Thank rahler1
Write a ReviewReviews (4,721)

Reviewed December 6, 2006

My husband and I went to Aruba to get married in Nov. 2006. We chose the Bucuti, Tara Suites, after reading the excellent reviews for over a year. We are so glad we chose it!

The beach/water is amazing, postcard perfect! Never too crowded and the weather really is sunny every day with no rain. The only downfall for those that don't like it, is the humidity, which results in the hotel placing 2 dehumidifiers in your room. I will admit, they were somewhat loud and annoying, but they really are needed so what can you do?

The location of the hotel was great too, in the middle of the high rises and downtown. We spent a little too much money on taxi's so I highly recommend learning the bus routes as that is much cheaper.

The staff at Bucuti were great - always willing to help with recommendations, reservations, you name it. I think by staying in the Tara Suites you get a little more attention so it may be worth paying more if that is what you like. A big thank you to Bonny, Hilda, Alexe, and Tome (and many others) for their great customer service!

The rooms were very nice - very modern decor, spacious, always clean, and the view of the ocean can't be beat.

We went down to the High Rise section of the island and that really is when we said, "boy are we glad we didn't stay here!" There are so many people and kids, and the beach is very narrow and crowded. Plus the hotels are more like a themepark which was not our style. We wanted to relax with peace and quiet....and adults. I feel more Americans stay in this section of the island, as that is typical of our fast paced lifestyle, but we really enjoyed being one of the handful of Americans at Bucuti, it really had a different feel which was nice.

We did venture out into the island with a 4x4 vehicle. Make sure you rent an all wheel drive jeep if you explore the east coast of the island. It was the most rugged terrain I have driven on and scary at some points....but we made it and when looking back, had a blast! It took about a half an hour to get used to driving on the roads because there really aren't street signs, but the island is so small you can never get lost.

We did not make it to the Natural Bridge or pool because we wanted to get back on regular roads before we blew a tire. We checked out Baby Beach but the water was very rough that day and there were a number of windsurfers out, so we assumed it was not so "baby" that day and decided to take a photo and keep driving. The Alto Vista Chapel was very cute, the lighthouse was nothing special because you couldn't go up in it. The downtown area was fun to see both day and night, lots of activity for shoppers, but I found the prices to be a little too high, as everything is in US Dollars, so you really are not getting a deal.

The people on the island really are very nice. The various languages and culture just amazed me. It was so cool to hear all the languages they speak and to see the influence of each in their daily lives.

I highly recommend going to Aruba and staying at the Bucuti! I hope we can make it back some day!

14  Thank LuvGeo
Reviewed December 4, 2006

This seemed to be the best value by far in Aruba. It wasn't the frilly Hyatt, but it had the best beach by far, great food, friendly staff, and tons of iguanas.

Day 1: We arrived on May 30th on our honeymoon and went straight to the beach, as this was my first trip to the Caribbean. The beach was literally huge. There were tons of palapas available even in the afternoon. That night we had a five course dinner on the beach with an excellent waiter. Everything was perfect(The candle kept blowing out because of the wind, but still)!!!

The next day we went to the Pirate's Nest for breakfast, as we did every morning. Got an excellent spot on the beach, enjoyed the sun for a couple of hours, and thats when the rains hit. It poured like I've never seen before. So we decided to have lunch at the outdoor bar (covered). It was vey expensive and not great. Although Lionel (the bartender/waiter) was hilarious. We decided that we should explore the island on such a junky day. We drove to the natural bridge, which was very cool, although impossible to find. There are many unpaved roads in Aruba that we are not used to in the US. After the Natural Bridge we decided to go to Baby Beach after we heard there was great snorkeling there and the sun was trying to come out. What a disapointment!!! We left after 10-15 mins. We went to Cuba's Cookin downtown for dinner, which was pretty good. Oranjestad is nice and seems pretty safe. When we got back to our hotel we opened up the news paper that was delivered to our room and saw the information about Natalee Holloway. We new at that point the our relatives were probably freaking out that we were in some crazy place.

The next day was a beach day. We decided to stay at oour beach, Eagle Beach, because it was just incredible. For dinner we went to Driftwood. We heard it was good, but never though it would be the best meal we had ever had. Everything is caught fresh and served that day. We both had Grouper. I had mine prepared Aruban style!!! Out of sight! Michael was our waiter and was excellent. We liked it so much we ate there the last night as well.

Aqua Grill- Was terrible, and overpriced. The waiter kept eyeing my wife. Not cool!

Rumba-was awesome. Also located downtown. Great shrimp.

We went to the synagogue in Aruba which was very cool. I recommend it any Jewish traveler to Aruba. All the members of the congregation seemed happy to see us, and even wanted to make sure we knew how to get back to the Bucuti.

The hotel room was a little dissapointing, but it was clean. We didnt spend too much time in the room. The beach was great!!! I had never seen a beach like that! One day we walked up to our shoulders in the water about a mile north and back. There were absolutely no currents or waves. Look at the pictures, it seemed as if there were no othe people on the beach. It was Memorial Day weekend, the hotel was sold out, and the beach felt like you were the only one on it. Plus the wtaer never felt cold, it was 82 degrees. I would recommend Aruba to anyone, and I would recommend the Bucuti to any adult lookig for a getaway. After dinner one night we walked around Palm Beach, not even half as nice as Eagle.

My wife has been all over the Caribbean, and she said it had the nicest beach (tied with St. John's USVI) and best food. She said it was the nicest place she had ever been, and that says a lot. After all she has been to Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Play Del Carmen, Cozumel, Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. John, Punta Cana, Florida Keys, etc...

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Tim1212
Reviewed November 26, 2006

My husband and I celebrated our honeymoon at the Bucuti on October 15-23 and had a fabulous time. This is going to be a little long, but hopefully it will be helpful. I know that I depended on this site a lot when I was deciding on where we should go.

First let me say that the airport in Aruba is different than what we are used to here in the US. But with that said we had no issues getting through customs or immigration. That goes for entering and leaving Aruba. Just make sure to give yourself plenty of time when departing. We got there about 3 hours early and it was just enough time.

Now...back to the Bucuti. This was our first time in the Caribbean and all that I wanted to see was clear blue water. The beach at the Bucuti far exceeded my expectations. The water is the most beautiful color, the sand is white, soft, and clean, and there is plenty of room to spread out. Most days I felt like we had the beach to ourselves.
We stayed in the new Tara Suites and they were beautiful. Great views, awesome bed and sufficent bathroom. They were more than adequate and worth the money for the view alone.

The Pirates Nest restaurant needs to be updated, however, we had several great meals there. The atmosphere doesn't match the food. We also did the dinner for two on the beach, it was great, I would highly recommend it for honeymooners.
We also ate at theFlying Fishbone - which was our favorite restaurant on the island, it is such a nice setting and the food was the best we had all week. Our last night we ate at Mirandi, which I was not impressed with. Not worth the money. Pizza Bob's has great pizza, we had lunch there and really enjoyed it. We also had fajitas at Iguana Joe's and liked it there too! El Gaucho has great steak if you are a beef lover. Don't eat for awhile before you go there, they give you a ton of food!
There is no shortage of good food on this island! Don't do all-inclusive, you will miss out.

Other activities we did: Snorkeling excursion (highly recommend), 1/2 day jeep tour (fun but bumpy - not for weak stomaches), Sunset Sail (awesome - a must for couples). We also went jet-skiing and parasailing and enjoyed all of it.

Probably the most memorable 9 days of our lives. We got to experience new things and enjoy the island, while being able to also relax .
If we ever return to Aruba, we would absolutely stay at the Bucuti!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
11  Thank Layah516
Reviewed November 26, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Bucuti from Nov 2-6, and I felt compelled to share our experience with others considering this hotel. First of all, this was our first trip to Aruba, and we LOVED it. It satisfied all our desires: Somewhere warm and sunny, but with cooling breezes, a pristine beach that's not too crowded, great food, attentive service and a relaxing quiet atmosphere.

We have 2 small children that we left at home, so we certainly didn't want a place with a "family atmosphere" if ya know what I mean. Bucuti didn't disappoint! And it's on Eagle Beach, which is the best beach on the island.

We had some great dinners on Aruba.... El Gaucho, Madame Jenette and Aqua Grill were all excellent. So many reviewers raved about Chalet Suisse, but it was our least favorite restaurant. We are total foodies, very into quality and atmosphere, and CS was a bit too cheesy and loud for my liking. Food was just ok.

As for recreation, I highly recommend 'Snuba' (cross between scuba and snorkeling). It was amazing and I can't wait to do it again!

Ok, now for the not-so-good news. We were both disappointed in the Bucuti's restaurant. Even though we never ate there for dinner, convenience dictated that we ate there for lunch almost every day. The food is just "fair". And the bar (right on the beach, so you think it'd be awesome) was not much better. The service at the bar (unlike the hotel itself) stunk. And the drinks were low-quality. It just wasn't a fun place to hang out. And the pool isn't great either. But on the up side, you'll have it all to yourself should you choose to go in, cuz everyone else is on the beach!!

As for the rooms, let me tell ya - if you can afford the Penthouse Suite, by all means go for it! They upgraded our first 2 nights to the Penthouse and it was beyond amazing. Our last 2 nights in a regular room felt like a slum compared to the PS! (Don't get me wrong - the room was very nice, but there's just no comparing the two!)

My advice: stay at Bucuti in spite of the crappy restaurant. The rest of the benefits really do outweigh the negatives. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

14  Thank airybabe
Reviewed November 24, 2006

We stayed 5 nights in the Tara suites, ground floor--it was wonderful for what we were looking for. Easy access to the sand(15 steps from patio, on grass to the sand), clean, well decorated room, and a gorgerous beach. As many others have already said, it is quiet--which is what those that stay here are looking for. this is the very first time I have written a review, but felt it really was worth taking the time to maybe help someone else make a decision. I know I did rely on the reports written here when I booked it. Bucuti is well aware of the reviews here, and they do read them too I was told!!! Keep up the good work Bucuti!!
The staff is always friendly and helpful, never a problem gettiing someones attention for help. All special requests were taken seriously and appreciated! The pool renovations will be welcomed by those of us who do like a refreshing jump in the pool to cool down. They do keep the water very clean too!!
I would have preferred a larger bathroom, but of course that is not something that can be changed!! The efforts to protect natural resources is evident and a great thing! I really enjoyed the morning sunrise breakfast ( I do wish you would also offer some of the chicken in the Tara Building set up).
There are only a few things that I can think of that would improved my stay overall stay, none would prevent me from returning. The option of room service for dinner would be nice, and the option to get a *to go* meal would be very nice. ( The beach service while on the beach is quick and very welcomed.)
If there was a way to have large floatie mats for the sensational sea, that would be super. I would even guess that guests would pay a nominal fee for use, if that was necessary. While I was in the water, I was reminded of the mats at Cap Juluca--and was thinkng how nice it would be!!!
In conclusion, this is a fantastic spot--the beach is wonderful, we walked both directions til we could no more, and then took a cab and walked the high rise section, there is no comparison!! If you are after a soft, white, spacious beachfront location, this is it. If you are looking for R&R, or on a romantic getaway/honeymoon-go for it--see you there again!!

9  Thank beachtravler
Reviewed November 18, 2006

Dreading turning 50, I researched for a nice, warm place with beautiful beaches. After deciding on Aruba, Bucuti fit the bill.
We stayed in the superior rooms and loved our location (had a small balcony overlooking the beach). The beach was spectacular. Never stayed in the water so long. Breakfast was good. Decided to rent a jeep for 3 days to explore the island on our own. We had read about not keeping valuables in the car, so we opted for a soft top so if they broke in they could find their way in without breaking a window. The jeep enabled us to explore the west coast which was an adventure on the unpaved roads.
Ate dinner at ElGaucho as recommended by our first acquaitance at Bucuti A(he had visited Aruba 3x a year for the last 30 years). Enjoyed dinner very much, then stopped downtown. When we got back to the car a policeman was ther with two young girls who had seen someone break into our jeep. No damage done and we gratefully gave the girls some money. Next day discovered Baby Beach and enjoyed snorkeling. We were given some idea to feed the fish frozen peas which worked well. We were soon in the mist of a big school of beautiful fish.
On our way there, because of a detour we found Flying Fishbone which we had reservations at that evening. We had a lovely dinner there that evening, specatular setting and the food was very good. My husband smelled gas and checked if our gas cap was off. It wasn't but our tank was empty. Stopped at a gas station that was closing, and the very kind staff there looked under our hood and found our gas line was cut. Said he had several people with same problem at the same restaurant. After calling the rental company they came and got us and promptley got us a new car the next morning. The rest of the trip was uneventful as far as crime. We continued to find snorkeling spots at Arashi Beach and returned to Baby Beach several times. Our underwater pictures captured the excitement of all of the fish we were among. Ate dinner also at Madame Janettes which was our favorite. Again great setting and excellent food. Pizza Bobs was also good. Another highlight of our trip was the very first night winning $1000 at Alahambra Casino. We took the sunset cruise and were very glad we did. We really fell in love with Aruba even considered buying a time share. The Bucuti was the perfect place for us, nice beautiful quiet beach. Would reccomend this hotel wholeheartedly. Just be careful when leaving your car anywhere. flying fishbone was made aware of the incidents and will hopefully post a guard outside.

13  Thank howjan