“Best thing since Sliced Bread”

Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Birmingham, Alabama
“Best thing since Sliced Bread”
Reviewed December 4, 2006

This seemed to be the best value by far in Aruba. It wasn't the frilly Hyatt, but it had the best beach by far, great food, friendly staff, and tons of iguanas.

Day 1: We arrived on May 30th on our honeymoon and went straight to the beach, as this was my first trip to the Caribbean. The beach was literally huge. There were tons of palapas available even in the afternoon. That night we had a five course dinner on the beach with an excellent waiter. Everything was perfect(The candle kept blowing out because of the wind, but still)!!!

The next day we went to the Pirate's Nest for breakfast, as we did every morning. Got an excellent spot on the beach, enjoyed the sun for a couple of hours, and thats when the rains hit. It poured like I've never seen before. So we decided to have lunch at the outdoor bar (covered). It was vey expensive and not great. Although Lionel (the bartender/waiter) was hilarious. We decided that we should explore the island on such a junky day. We drove to the natural bridge, which was very cool, although impossible to find. There are many unpaved roads in Aruba that we are not used to in the US. After the Natural Bridge we decided to go to Baby Beach after we heard there was great snorkeling there and the sun was trying to come out. What a disapointment!!! We left after 10-15 mins. We went to Cuba's Cookin downtown for dinner, which was pretty good. Oranjestad is nice and seems pretty safe. When we got back to our hotel we opened up the news paper that was delivered to our room and saw the information about Natalee Holloway. We new at that point the our relatives were probably freaking out that we were in some crazy place.

The next day was a beach day. We decided to stay at oour beach, Eagle Beach, because it was just incredible. For dinner we went to Driftwood. We heard it was good, but never though it would be the best meal we had ever had. Everything is caught fresh and served that day. We both had Grouper. I had mine prepared Aruban style!!! Out of sight! Michael was our waiter and was excellent. We liked it so much we ate there the last night as well.

Aqua Grill- Was terrible, and overpriced. The waiter kept eyeing my wife. Not cool!

Rumba-was awesome. Also located downtown. Great shrimp.

We went to the synagogue in Aruba which was very cool. I recommend it any Jewish traveler to Aruba. All the members of the congregation seemed happy to see us, and even wanted to make sure we knew how to get back to the Bucuti.

The hotel room was a little dissapointing, but it was clean. We didnt spend too much time in the room. The beach was great!!! I had never seen a beach like that! One day we walked up to our shoulders in the water about a mile north and back. There were absolutely no currents or waves. Look at the pictures, it seemed as if there were no othe people on the beach. It was Memorial Day weekend, the hotel was sold out, and the beach felt like you were the only one on it. Plus the wtaer never felt cold, it was 82 degrees. I would recommend Aruba to anyone, and I would recommend the Bucuti to any adult lookig for a getaway. After dinner one night we walked around Palm Beach, not even half as nice as Eagle.

My wife has been all over the Caribbean, and she said it had the nicest beach (tied with St. John's USVI) and best food. She said it was the nicest place she had ever been, and that says a lot. After all she has been to Puerto Vallarta, Cancun, Play Del Carmen, Cozumel, Bahamas, St. Thomas, St. John, Punta Cana, Florida Keys, etc...

• Liked — Beach, Staff
  • Disliked — Pool (Fine if the beach is awesome)
  • Tips/Secrets — Enjoy and relax
  • Stayed May 2005, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Tim1212

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,288)
  • Hungarian first
New Freedom, PA
Reviewed November 26, 2006

My husband and I celebrated our honeymoon at the Bucuti on October 15-23 and had a fabulous time. This is going to be a little long, but hopefully it will be helpful. I know that I depended on this site a lot when I was deciding on where we should go.

First let me say that the airport in Aruba is different than what we are used to here in the US. But with that said we had no issues getting through customs or immigration. That goes for entering and leaving Aruba. Just make sure to give yourself plenty of time when departing. We got there about 3 hours early and it was just enough time.

Now...back to the Bucuti. This was our first time in the Caribbean and all that I wanted to see was clear blue water. The beach at the Bucuti far exceeded my expectations. The water is the most beautiful color, the sand is white, soft, and clean, and there is plenty of room to spread out. Most days I felt like we had the beach to ourselves.
We stayed in the new Tara Suites and they were beautiful. Great views, awesome bed and sufficent bathroom. They were more than adequate and worth the money for the view alone.

The Pirates Nest restaurant needs to be updated, however, we had several great meals there. The atmosphere doesn't match the food. We also did the dinner for two on the beach, it was great, I would highly recommend it for honeymooners.
We also ate at theFlying Fishbone - which was our favorite restaurant on the island, it is such a nice setting and the food was the best we had all week. Our last night we ate at Mirandi, which I was not impressed with. Not worth the money. Pizza Bob's has great pizza, we had lunch there and really enjoyed it. We also had fajitas at Iguana Joe's and liked it there too! El Gaucho has great steak if you are a beef lover. Don't eat for awhile before you go there, they give you a ton of food!
There is no shortage of good food on this island! Don't do all-inclusive, you will miss out.

Other activities we did: Snorkeling excursion (highly recommend), 1/2 day jeep tour (fun but bumpy - not for weak stomaches), Sunset Sail (awesome - a must for couples). We also went jet-skiing and parasailing and enjoyed all of it.

Probably the most memorable 9 days of our lives. We got to experience new things and enjoy the island, while being able to also relax .
If we ever return to Aruba, we would absolutely stay at the Bucuti!

• Liked — The Beach
  • Disliked — No room service
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Layah516
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed November 26, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Bucuti from Nov 2-6, and I felt compelled to share our experience with others considering this hotel. First of all, this was our first trip to Aruba, and we LOVED it. It satisfied all our desires: Somewhere warm and sunny, but with cooling breezes, a pristine beach that's not too crowded, great food, attentive service and a relaxing quiet atmosphere.

We have 2 small children that we left at home, so we certainly didn't want a place with a "family atmosphere" if ya know what I mean. Bucuti didn't disappoint! And it's on Eagle Beach, which is the best beach on the island.

We had some great dinners on Aruba.... El Gaucho, Madame Jenette and Aqua Grill were all excellent. So many reviewers raved about Chalet Suisse, but it was our least favorite restaurant. We are total foodies, very into quality and atmosphere, and CS was a bit too cheesy and loud for my liking. Food was just ok.

As for recreation, I highly recommend 'Snuba' (cross between scuba and snorkeling). It was amazing and I can't wait to do it again!

Ok, now for the not-so-good news. We were both disappointed in the Bucuti's restaurant. Even though we never ate there for dinner, convenience dictated that we ate there for lunch almost every day. The food is just "fair". And the bar (right on the beach, so you think it'd be awesome) was not much better. The service at the bar (unlike the hotel itself) stunk. And the drinks were low-quality. It just wasn't a fun place to hang out. And the pool isn't great either. But on the up side, you'll have it all to yourself should you choose to go in, cuz everyone else is on the beach!!

As for the rooms, let me tell ya - if you can afford the Penthouse Suite, by all means go for it! They upgraded our first 2 nights to the Penthouse and it was beyond amazing. Our last 2 nights in a regular room felt like a slum compared to the PS! (Don't get me wrong - the room was very nice, but there's just no comparing the two!)

My advice: stay at Bucuti in spite of the crappy restaurant. The rest of the benefits really do outweigh the negatives. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

• Liked — the beautiful incredible beach
  • Disliked — The Pirate's Nest restaurant/bar
  • Tips/Secrets — stay in the Penthouse suite!
14 Thank airybabe
illinois
Reviewed November 24, 2006

We stayed 5 nights in the Tara suites, ground floor--it was wonderful for what we were looking for. Easy access to the sand(15 steps from patio, on grass to the sand), clean, well decorated room, and a gorgerous beach. As many others have already said, it is quiet--which is what those that stay here are looking for. this is the very first time I have written a review, but felt it really was worth taking the time to maybe help someone else make a decision. I know I did rely on the reports written here when I booked it. Bucuti is well aware of the reviews here, and they do read them too I was told!!! Keep up the good work Bucuti!!
The staff is always friendly and helpful, never a problem gettiing someones attention for help. All special requests were taken seriously and appreciated! The pool renovations will be welcomed by those of us who do like a refreshing jump in the pool to cool down. They do keep the water very clean too!!
I would have preferred a larger bathroom, but of course that is not something that can be changed!! The efforts to protect natural resources is evident and a great thing! I really enjoyed the morning sunrise breakfast ( I do wish you would also offer some of the chicken in the Tara Building set up).
There are only a few things that I can think of that would improved my stay overall stay, none would prevent me from returning. The option of room service for dinner would be nice, and the option to get a *to go* meal would be very nice. ( The beach service while on the beach is quick and very welcomed.)
If there was a way to have large floatie mats for the sensational sea, that would be super. I would even guess that guests would pay a nominal fee for use, if that was necessary. While I was in the water, I was reminded of the mats at Cap Juluca--and was thinkng how nice it would be!!!
In conclusion, this is a fantastic spot--the beach is wonderful, we walked both directions til we could no more, and then took a cab and walked the high rise section, there is no comparison!! If you are after a soft, white, spacious beachfront location, this is it. If you are looking for R&R, or on a romantic getaway/honeymoon-go for it--see you there again!!

• Liked — new rooms
  • Disliked — dining options
9 Thank beachtravler
New Jersey
Reviewed November 18, 2006

Dreading turning 50, I researched for a nice, warm place with beautiful beaches. After deciding on Aruba, Bucuti fit the bill.
We stayed in the superior rooms and loved our location (had a small balcony overlooking the beach). The beach was spectacular. Never stayed in the water so long. Breakfast was good. Decided to rent a jeep for 3 days to explore the island on our own. We had read about not keeping valuables in the car, so we opted for a soft top so if they broke in they could find their way in without breaking a window. The jeep enabled us to explore the west coast which was an adventure on the unpaved roads.
Ate dinner at ElGaucho as recommended by our first acquaitance at Bucuti A(he had visited Aruba 3x a year for the last 30 years). Enjoyed dinner very much, then stopped downtown. When we got back to the car a policeman was ther with two young girls who had seen someone break into our jeep. No damage done and we gratefully gave the girls some money. Next day discovered Baby Beach and enjoyed snorkeling. We were given some idea to feed the fish frozen peas which worked well. We were soon in the mist of a big school of beautiful fish.
On our way there, because of a detour we found Flying Fishbone which we had reservations at that evening. We had a lovely dinner there that evening, specatular setting and the food was very good. My husband smelled gas and checked if our gas cap was off. It wasn't but our tank was empty. Stopped at a gas station that was closing, and the very kind staff there looked under our hood and found our gas line was cut. Said he had several people with same problem at the same restaurant. After calling the rental company they came and got us and promptley got us a new car the next morning. The rest of the trip was uneventful as far as crime. We continued to find snorkeling spots at Arashi Beach and returned to Baby Beach several times. Our underwater pictures captured the excitement of all of the fish we were among. Ate dinner also at Madame Janettes which was our favorite. Again great setting and excellent food. Pizza Bobs was also good. Another highlight of our trip was the very first night winning $1000 at Alahambra Casino. We took the sunset cruise and were very glad we did. We really fell in love with Aruba even considered buying a time share. The Bucuti was the perfect place for us, nice beautiful quiet beach. Would reccomend this hotel wholeheartedly. Just be careful when leaving your car anywhere. flying fishbone was made aware of the incidents and will hopefully post a guard outside.

• Liked — beach
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — careful with your rental car
13 Thank howjan
Vienna, VA
Reviewed November 18, 2006

Just came back yesterday from Bucuti. It was myself and two girlfriends. We had a wonderful time even thought we had a horrific rainstorm with spectacular lightning and thunder during the late night and early morning of one day. Flooded parts of the island. From what I saw we were staying on the best beach on the island - wide, clean, beautiful sand, ocean was gentle. The only thing that would make it better would be if the the coral reefs were right there for snorkeling. The pool area is not great right now but a large renovation is planned - to be finished in January 2007. The personnel were very friendly. When I thought I lost my purse with my valuables (false alarm), they were very concerned.

We ate in the Pirate's Nest (hotel restaurant) and for me, it was the best meal I had on the island. However the ambiance of Flying Fishbone was the best (you are sitting at tables on the beach feet from the water). We all liked Pizza Bob's pizza -- thin, flavorful, crispy crust.

We went to Baby Beach and that was great for snorkeling. You need a car to get there. We rented a Jeep - 4 wheel drive - for a 1 1/2 days. The roads are horrific for the most part and you NEED a 4-wheel drive. Also saw the caves, one of the lighthouses. Nothing much to see really, just the beach and the marine life and gorgeous views. That's what to come for.

As for the AIRPORT . . . This is truly an experience, a BAD experience. Everybody who is departing gets there at the same time and there are 5 airlines leaving fairly close together - total chaos. You can't find what line to stand on and it takes FOREVER to get to the ticket agent, and that is only the beginning. There was another long line for security, and another long line for Customs and Immigration. Although we got to the airport 2 1/2 hrs before our flight, we got to the gate just as our flight was boarding! In spite of everything, the problem with the airport would be enough to keep people from coming back.

Stayed November 2006
12 Thank Marine.person
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed November 5, 2006

The Bucuti resort was just wonderful. The staff is very friendly and always available to help you with anything you might need. The rooms we stayed in had just been renovated and they were basic but very nice/clean. You are no more than 50 feet from the beach. The beach is gorgeous and private, there are plenty of chairs and umbrellas to go around and if you put a up a red flag, the staff will come wait on you and bring you drinks.

The hotel is small, European in style and perfect for couples and families with adult children. We just wanted to relax and relax we did! We love kids of course but it was great not having them on the beach, in the pool and making noise at all hours of the day. It's just peaceful and serene.

To give you an example of how wonderful the staff is... we tried on our second day there to rent a car and every place we called (about 10 total) said they were sold out of cars or wanted to charge us about $100.00 a day. So my dad went to the front desk and they found us a car and got us a deal, only $30.00 a day! We had the car immediately.

The Bucuti is a lovely place to stay however if you crave casinos or nightlife at your resort, this is NOT the place for you. The high rise hotels with their casinos and people everywhere would be more enjoyable. If you want peace and quiet, a place to relax with no kids around, you will love Bucuti. And remember, at the high rise resorts, the beaches are packed to the gills, there is no place to move and it is very uncomfortable, at least in my opinion.

Also the Bucuti Spa is nice, we had facials and massages there. It would be nicer if they did those things outside, but overall that was enjoyable as well. There are iguanas everywhere on the property, but don't be afraid. They are harmless and love to be fed. We fed them lettuce and bread every day - the staff said that was ok.

I would definitely stay at the Bucuti again!

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
27 Thank Pinkharts9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
#3 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#13 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba? Share your experiences!