“Magnificent, Relaxing Vacation”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
“Magnificent, Relaxing Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2006

My wife and I just returned from a week in Aruba, staying at the Bucuti Beach Resort. We are in our late fifties and wanted a quiet beach experience, free of noisy neighbors in the resort as well as on the beach. All of the reviews we read prior to going turned out to be right on the mark for this resort. We stayed in the Tara suites and did not regret spending a bit more. The rooms were immaculate, gave us a separate living area from the bedroom and the room looked out directly onto the beach. We never heard any sound from those to either side or above. My advice is to select a first floor room providing quick access to the beach which was uncrowded with plenty of shape palms and palapas.
The continental breakfast was included in the price and provided all we needed to start the day. All staff treated us very well and wanted to know how they could serve us. The concierge provided assistance and advice about options for tours and dinner reservations. (Thanks, Wilma!). The Bucuti provides their own tour of the island and we highly recommend it. Frank, our guide, was knowledgeable, interesting and concerned that we learned all about the island. In a five hour tour we saw all of the sites from the lighthouse, the Alta Vista Chapel, what was left of the Natural Bridge, the Rock Formations, and Baby Beach were snorkling equipment was provided. In addition, lunch ws provided as well as a t-shirt, all for $30! What a bargain.
Renting a car was not necessary. After the great Bucuti tour we did not need to see those sites again and took the bus directly in front of the resort into the capital city numerous times for only two dollars round trip. Taxis provided transportation to restaurants for $8-10 normally.
Our favorite dining experience was Papiemento. The services ambience and food was great. Our table was in the garden with lighted ficus overhanging the tables. The Flying Fishbone was also good, although the taxi cost $24 each way.
If you are looking for outstanding service in a quiet setting on the best beach in Aruba then you cannot go wrong with the Bucuti. Although we like to experience new islands on our journeys we know that if we ever return to Aruba, the Bucuti will be our choice.

12 Thank Cschaeffer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,251)
  • Hungarian first
Montoursville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2006

My wife and I have visited other islands in the Carribean and the accomodations at the Bucuti Tara Beach Suites was close to the best. The room was larger than expected and the view was extraordinary (see the photos). Our concierge Wilma saved my dive buddy - my wife. She arranged a trip to Fly'n Dive and Steve there gave her one-on-one attention that allowed her to enjoy scuba diving for the first time. When we arrived back at the Bucuti, Wilma came running around from behind the desk to congratulate her with a hug! This resort only lacked a nice pool (who visits Aruba to go to a swimming pool anyway) and the reviews for food at the Pirate's Nest Restaurant were not highly rated, but we enjoyed the food and atmosphere at the French Steakhouse (next door at the Manchebo) so much we ate there twice. The continental breakfast at the Pirate's Nest was way more than what you'd expect and is included with your room. It also is open until 11am. The menu included fruit, yogurts, many different types of bread, four types of cheese, canadian bacon, ham, mortadella, cereals, donuts, bagels, coffee, cappuccino, caffe latte, and I am sure I am missing other things - which is to say you don't really need to buy breakfast unless you are dying for eggs. Be sure to stay at Tara Beach Suites - they are worth the extra money and are beachfront. No sounds of children running in the hallways (Bucuti discourages children) or on the beach and NO CROWDS on the beach either. We visited the high rise hotel area a couple of times and were suprised by the huge crowds on the beaches there and really small beach as well, although their pools are spectacular.

• Stayed February 2006
11 Thank CaribIan
Boston, Ma
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2006

Hotel did not honor reservation preference of ocean view and tried to replace with garden view but offered (for $90.00 more ocean view bungalow) which sounded good but overlooked grass beach huts and men’s and ladies changing room... Breakfast is weak and service is bad checked out and went to other hotel... Management is about as customer centric as a rock... Hotel undergoing renovation and doesn't tell you that... definitely not 5 star 2-3 at best

• Stayed February 2006
24 Thank tweeka
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2006

After quite a bit of research and talking to a travel agent my husband and I decided to honeymoon at Bucuti. Overall, we were really happy with our choice. We wanted a laid-back vacation at a beautiful beach, and that’s exactly what we got at Bucuti. We stayed on the third floor of the Tara Suites. Our room was spacious, nicely furnished, and very clean. We were very comfortable and really enjoyed the beachfront balcony. I did notice a slight musty odor that others mentioned in their reviews, but it wasn’t overwhelming (in fact, my husband didn’t even notice it). Eagle Beach is fantastic. We had no trouble getting an umbrella each day and loved that the beach at Bucuti was never very crowded. We had one of each meal at the Pirate’s Nest, and I agree with most - it’s mediocre at best. I got beachside service one day – the food was OK, the service was great. We were disappointed with the complementary continental breakfast. I’ve had better at a Holiday Inn Express. I was also disappointed with the gym. The “open-air” facility was hot, the cardio equipment was out-of-date, and weight-training choices were very limited (no free weights). That said, I knew that Bucuti was not a 5-star resort, so in retrospect, I should not have expected 5-star amenities. The staff was friendly and extremely helpful. The best meal that we had during our vacation was at El Gaucho – their 8-oz tenderloin was the best steak I’ve ever had, and Pizza Bob’s had excellent pizza and a fun atmosphere. We rented a jeep one day and really enjoyed exploring the island on our own. We rented some snorkeling equipment from Bucuti and snorkeled near the lighthouse and at Baby Beach; we shopped and ate lunch in Oranjestad, and drove through the park on the northern coast. We also did a morning horseback ride at Rancho Pondersa. Although the “beach ride” never actually goes to the beach, it was a very scenic ride, and I was pleased to see that the horses appeared to be well taken care of. Overall, we had a wonderful vacation and were very satisfied with our accommodations at Bucuti. Given the opportunity for another Caribbean vacation, we probably will try a different island altogether (may Antigua or Anguilla?), but if we were going back to Aruba, we’d definitely stay at Bucuti again.

• Stayed February 2005
20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2006

This was our 2nd trip to Bucuti, and both times were marvelous. Last year we were in the Tara Suites, this year in an oceanview room. Both room types were great, however, if you can afford the Tara suites-go for it! Tara suites are basically on the beach with very private balconies. You can hear the waves and the steel drum player from your balcony, while watching the sunset---fabulous! The regular rooms are set farther back so you can't hear the ocean, balconies not as private. Rooms are pristinely clean and comfortable. The concierge desk was wonderful in arranging activities, car rental, etc. Definitely rent a car for a day or two and explore the island!
The beach at Bucuti is spacious and beautiful, always a chair and palapa available.
Pirates nest restaurant had OK food, service somewhat slow, but, you are on island time. We also loved walking along the beach and eating at the various restaurants along the way (we are not an all inclusive hotel type) You can walk for miles along the beach, in fact we walked the 2 miles down to Palm beach high rise area, and thanked our lucky stars that we weren't staying there! The hotel grounds were beautiful, but the beach was extremely crowded and kids running everywhwere. Another couple told us fights would break out over reserving beach chairs, and that you had to be out by 6:30a.m. to get a chair!!! Not my idea of a vacation!
The bus stop is a short walk from Bucuti, and we took that alot to go downtown for shopping and eating and casinos, cheap too, 1.25USD each way.
All in all, we are in love with Aruba and Bucuti. We will be back!!! Hope this helps you!

26 Thank delco
Dothan, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2006

My wife and I decided on the Bucuti based on an agents recommendation. I wasn't sure about the choice and used this site to get more information about it. I felt better after reading the reviews. The place was great for my honeymoon. The Tara Suites had plenty of room and were very comfortable and clean. My only complaint would be the late arrival of cleaning service. The beach is close to the condo, but you better get up early to get close to the water and secure a hut. We typically woke up too late to get a hut, but the beach is uncrowded, so it really didn't matter. The staff was friendly and helped whenever necessary. The on-site restaurant was pretty good. I am very critical about food and did not want to eat there, but our late arrival and condition from the flight forced us to stay on-site. The food was good and the service was great.

Other restaurants I recommend:
Pizza Bob (quick and easy lunch located right next to the Bucuti parking lot - pizza is good, burgers are well-done. Went here once during the week and right before leaving due to convenience)

Flying Fishbone - a good drive on the eastern part of the island, but it had the best food, atmosphere and service of any place we went. Go at sunset - you won't believe the view. Make reservations

Pincho's - On the water. Really great spot. Apparently one of the Bachelor episodes was filmed here, and I can see why. Food was good and drinks were great. Located a few hundred yards away from the downtown area going towards the airport. Make reservations.

Iguana Joes - great place for a lunch when you go downtown.

Gasparito -- good food, but the ambiance leaves a little to be desired.

El Guacho - don't expect to feel like you are on an island at this place. Great, if you are in the mood for beef.

Carlos and Charlies -- FUN bar. Very entertaining staff. It wasn't the sleazy place that had been described in previous postings, so I was surprised.

• Stayed January 2006
16 Thank mbaxley3
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2006

My new wife and I absolutely loved the Bucuti. We researched hotels/restaurants/etc via the internet and in a Frommer's Aruba guide for quite a while before making our decision, but I must say the great reviews on TripAdvisor were the deciding factor. First off, for honeymooners, I can't say enough about how well they treated us at Bucuti. We got the honeymoon package via Bucuti's web site, which included a Tara Suite with an ocean view. Room was great: perfect size, nice shower, comfortable bed, incredible view. Only downside (as mentioned in previous reviews) is the loud humidifier, but you get used to it.

When we arrived, we were immediately taken to Tara and offered champagne, which was refreshing. We checked in and verified the different reservations we had already made via email with Tara's concierge (Bucuti suggested making dinner reservations before we arrived in Aruba as January is high-season). The beach is literally 1-2 minutes from the room, including time on the elevator. On our first morning, we had massages in Tara's spa and they were great.

Wife and I visited lots of other places to see if we made the right choice and we feel we did. Amsterdam Manor truly does have an awful sewage smell (thanks TripAdvisor). Plus it's across the main highway from the beach, meaning you'd have to cross it daily. High-rise hotels offer more in the way of entertainment, but you give up a lot of privacy and the beautiful beach that Bucuti offers. The high-rise area also has all the motorized stuff right in front of you in the water, whereas Bucuti is very tranquil and relaxing (and it just has a more classy feel than anything else we saw). Plenty of palapas and beach-space as mentioned in other reviews.

The honeymoon package included a sunset dinner on the beach, served by a waiter from the Pirate's Nest. The dinner was awesome (5 courses!). With regards to The Pirate's Nest, it's gotten some pretty bad reviews. Here's my take: basically comparable to Chili's or Applebee's with a much smaller menu. Food is fine for what it is - lunch on the beach in a short amount of time. We tried the beach grill at Costa Linda for lunch one day, and it was not as good as Pirate's Nest, and more expensive. While I'm talking about food, I'll touch on the restaurants we dined at: El Gaucho was awesome (steakhouse with huge portions); Pizza Bob's had a good thin-crust pizza; Rumba (downtown) had great coconut shrimp and garlic bread; Texas de Brazil is a great place when you have a huge appetite. We had eaten snacks on our sunset cruise and had too much to drink, so we weren't hungry enough to take advantage of the endless meat at TdB. Only disappointing meal was Costa Linda beach grill. Dushi bagels is great for breakfast when you get tired of the free breakfast at Bucuti.

The honeymoon package also included our choice of a snorkel trip or a sunset sail cruise. We chose the sunset sail cruise (run by Red Sail) for our final night. It included an open bar and was beautiful. We used taxis most of the time (just about $8 anywhere on the island other than airport transfer - $17). However, we did take the bus twice ($1.50 from Bucuti to downtown - very easy to catch in front of Bucuti). We even walked once to the high-rise area - took about 40 minutes. Just about every bar and/or hotel has happy hour from 3-5 or 4-6 with 1/2 priced drinks. Prices at happy hour are less than any decent bar in the states.

We will definitely go to Aruba again, and we will definitely stay at Bucuti when we go.

• Stayed January 2006
19 Thank arubain06
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,734 reviews
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#10 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,592 reviews
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
#3 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,329 reviews
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach Resort & Casino
Holiday Inn Resort Aruba - Beach...
#17 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,858 reviews
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
Amsterdam Manor Beach Resort
#5 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,145 reviews
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino

Been to Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba? Share your experiences!