“Best vacation in years”

Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Best vacation in years”
Reviewed March 30, 2005

Considering the mixed reviews I have read of late, I thought I would write about our experience at the Bucuti from March 21-March28th. We booked late and were not able to reserve a room in the Tara Suites but we took a chance and reserved a "garden room" and just asked to be put on a waiting list for the suites. We have traveled for 30 years with all or some of our children and decided that we wanted to be at the Bucuti because we needed some quiet time. It paid off big time. From the moment we stepped out of our taxi, it was all good. We were told they did indeed move us to the suites - not just the suites, but the ground floor. The room was great, the patio better and the beach just a one minute walk over 10 feet of grass. We always had our choice of spots on the beach and it was as magnificent as we imagined, Eagle beach is truly larger and the best on the island. The hotel staff was as accommodating as they could be and made our stay a wonderful experience. We made several trips to the high-rise area to check out other options for future stays (and to visit their casinos) but we could not believe how lucky we were at the Bucuti. If I had kids with me, I would pick the Wyndham or the Hyatt just for the action for them.

Dining on the island is a treat. We didn't eat dinner at our hotel restaurant but instead explored other options that were recommended. I would strongly recommend Le Dome, Pappiamento, Ruinas de Mar at the Hyatt and the Manchero French Steak House. We ate at El Goucho's because it was always mentioned in the reviews but we found our meals to be more relaxing and enjoyable at the other restaurants. Of course, we also did the downtown experience at Iguana Joe's and that was fun too. We never needed to rent a car and took a taxi everywhere - no problems ever. The hotel set up a personal tour of the island and that was terrific and so informative. We would return in a flash and will as soon as possible! In fact, right back to the Bucuti and in the same room!

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,301)
  • Hungarian first
Reviewed March 29, 2005

My wife and I just returned from a week at the Bucuti, and we certainly consider this our most memorable vacation to date. I would definitely agree with what most previous reviewers have said about the resort. We found a perfect beach, well maintained buildings and grounds, and very helpful and courteous staff. As for dining, we enjoyed alternating our dinners between some of the finer restaurants (Flying Fishbone, French Steakhouse, Waterfront Crabhouse) and Subway and Dominos. Some reviewers have been critical of the Pirate's Nest, but my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our fish dinners there of Sea Bass and Red Snapper while taking in the sunset along the beach. Other highlights of the trip were snorkeling at Baby Beach, drinks at Iguana Joe's, driving a jeep around the island (better have a good sense of direction, as virtually no road signs), and taking the Sea World Explorer to view fish around the Antilla wreck. As others have noted, it was very hard to leave the warm breezes of Aruba and have to return home.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minnesota
Reviewed March 16, 2005

We just got back from Aruba and the most wonderful vacation we have ever had. My husband and I stayed at the Bucuti Beach Resort from March 8th to March 16th. Let me just say that before we went I spent hours and hours reading through reviews and trying to find the perfect place for our vacation. It seems that no matter where you look you can find someone who has bad things to say about each and every hotel. Well let me tell you that anyone who found things to complain about at the Bucuti was really looking hard to find them. We stayed at the Tara Suites and they are all that you could ask for. The rooms are beautiful, the staff bends over backwards to meet your every need and the beach is unbelievable. You will have no trouble getting a hut to sit under any time of the day you decide to go to the beach. As far as the food at the Pirates Nest ...We ate there for a few afternoon meals. We found the food to be adequate and it came promptly. There are too many great places to eat to mention, but if you like Chinese food Blossoms is outstanding and you can't beat the Flying Fish Bone for a romantic dinner on the beach (ask for the front row when you make your reservations). Make sure you try snorkeling, it was my first time and I was a little nervous about it (o.k. a lot ) but I couldn't get enough of it. We rented a 4x4 ( with air !!! ) and did not pay for any of the snorkeling excursions. You can drive to the beaches where they take their groups and that way you can spend as much time there as you want to... I could go on and on, but if anyone would like any more information (grocerie stores, beaches to snorkel, rent a car or not ect. I would be happy to try to help. You can contact me through my e-mail address. Bucuti and Aruba will not be a disappointment!

27 Thank LadyBlue
Connecticut
Reviewed March 16, 2005

We decided on the Bucuti after much on-line research. Our last vacation had been to a huge All-Inclusive place in Mexico and we wanted a totally different vacation.

The Bucuti is a very pleasant place to stay. Our room was in the Tara Suites and was on the first floor right across from the laundry room. You can enter the beach straight from the deck off the bedroom. The suite was spacious and lovely. We were there in October of 2004 and watched the Boston Red Sox win the World Series from our living room!

My husband had a nice massage in the small spa located upstairs in our building. We spent most every happy hour at the Sand Bar and listened to Lee and his steel drums. We ate the "Romantic Dinner on the Beach" at the on-site restaurant, The Pirate's nest. It was reasonably priced and we had a wonderful evening watching the gorgeous sunset from our table on the beach.

The concierge desk was always helpful with directions to restaurants where we had booked dinner reservations.

The beach was lovely. Plenty of space between palapas and you never ever had to wait for one. I loved going into the water even if it was a little rough. We took our collapsable cooler with our own drinks to save a bit on beach service. When we did use it, the beach service was quick and the food (from the Pirate's Nest) was good.

Dushi Bagels has a stand right next to the hotel and made an excellent breakfast.

My husband got together (through the concierge) with other guests for a deep sea fishing trip that he enjoyed.

We had a wonderful week of relaxation and phenomenal views. We had a car and enjoyed snorkeling at Baby Beach and exploring the great restaurants including the French Steakhouse next door, Madame Jeanette's and El Gaucho.

We definitely recommend this resort if you want a quiet experience. We actually had to stay another night in Aruba due to a problem with our plane. American put us up in a high rise hotel on Palm Beach and it is a really different experience. We preferred the low rise area of Eagle Beach.

14 Thank CTYankey
Reviewed March 13, 2005

Just spent March 5-13 at the Bucuti and loved every minute of it. We chose the Tara suite and found it to be worth every penny: beautiful room decor, spacious and functional, great balcony facing the ocean, extremely comfortable king size bed, microwave oven and coffee maker, large bathroom with separate toilet. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast in the Tara lounge is perfect, nice selection of breads, cereal, yogurt, fruit, cheese and cold cuts. What a relief not to have all the oily egg/sausage, bacon dishes. Coffee from a self serve machine (lattes or capuccino included) was also superb. The beach is incredible, sugar white sand and a calm turquoise blue ocean with no under currents, we could do our lap swims like in a pool. The hotel's pool is adequate at best, but with such an ocean who needs a better pool? There are enough huts for everyone to sit in the shade, but you do have to get up early if you want a front row hut. The beach is wide and never feels crowded. The Bucuti is definitely for adults, no beach or pool activities makes it unattractive for kids, it gave the feeling of tranquility throughout our stay. One day we took a bus to see the Hyatt in the high rise area; the beach there was narrow, crowded, and due to all the water sports, swimming in the ocean was limited in a small area surrounded by ropes. We rushed back to our beach as fast as we could!
Buses were easily available in front of the hotel for $2 round trip. We did some food shopping in several supermarkets just a few stops away by bus or a 20-minute walk from the hotel. The supermarket closest to the hotel was the nicest.
We didn't have a bad meal in Aruba and highly recommend the following restaurants in order of preference: Madame Jeanette, Papiamento, El Gaucho (fantastic Argentinean steaks), Pinchos and Chez Mathilde. The Bucuti's restaurant Pirate's Nest is mediocre, the only real negative we found here. In all fairness, we never even tried dinner there because lunch was bad enough and the service incredibly slow. Next to the supermarkets we found a wonderful lunch Cafe by the name of Delifrance.

35 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 7, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Bucuti last week and enjoyed every minute of our stay! The staff was exceptional and waited on us hand and foot! We always found a hut on the beach no matter what time of day it was. Dinner on the beach at the Pirates Nest at sunset was awesome! We will be back next year and wouldn't think about staying anywhere else......

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 7, 2005

I ran into the same experience as the poster below regarding the same situation. Please see below.

I booked with Hotels/Expedia back on January 12, 2005, for my honeymoon (04/02/2005-04/09/2005) and received a confirmation that we were good to go. I then received a message from Expedia on 02/02/2005 that they changed the flight. Okay, no big deal. We can live with that. However, on 02/22/2005, I received an email from Expedia Travel Services stating they could not honor the hotel reservation.

Needless to say, I was upset and called them right away. I was told that Bucuti overbooked, and Expedia/Hotels wanted to book me at another hotel. Neither of the two choices I was given was satisfactory (there's a reason these two places are not booked if you get my drift! One was a high rise: one was off the beaten path. We booked the Bucuti because of the beach and relatively small amount of children). They would not refund my money for our flight either, even though we booked a package. Expedia told me it was Bucuti's fault. As for the Bucuti, they wouldn't even acknowledge the email I sent them. (BTW, it was no easy task in finding their web site and their email addresses. I wonder if there is a reason as to why their web site is obscure?)

This experience has been horrible. Like the poster below, they wanted us to take a substandard hotel, and any upgrade would have to come out of our pocket. Just remember if you do book and receive a confirmation, it doesn't mean anything. You could end up dealing with a situation like we have.

Stayed January 2005
32 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Palm - Eagle Beach
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
The Ritz-Carlton, Aruba
#11 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellari...
#9 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
Manchebo Beach Resort & Spa
#3 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Renaissance Aruba Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & Casino
Hilton Aruba Caribbean Resort & ...
#15 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and Casino
Hyatt Regency Aruba Resort and C...
#12 of 24 in Palm - Eagle Beach

Been to Bucuti & Tara Beach Resort Aruba? Share your experiences!